This just seems like it's asking for trouble...

Started by Mindhazingsquid, March 22, 2008, 02:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindhazingsquid

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm
Gun manufacturer Taurus has made a new .45 caliber pistol revolver called "The Judge".  What makes it special/different is it can also fire 410 shotgun shells.
It's a step down from a "mad max" style sawed-off double barrel because it holds more rounds, but its a step up because it's "only" a 410 so instead of blowing holes all through you it'll just horribly maim and injure you... oh yay.
Why can we develop shotgun-revolvers and not things that will benefit the world?

NightBird

The cynic in me says that it's because more people will buy fancy new weapons than will pay for things that will benefit the world. Although... drug manufacturer profits kind of tend to disprove that notion, but then again it's questionable how much benefit some drugs on the market really offer.

Hunh. I guess I'm back to my first thought. Lots of people will buy it, legally or otherwise.

Captain Maltese

A few shotgun rounds for a revolver makes sense; trying to kill a running rat in a farm building with a handgun requires one hell of a set of reflexes. With a shotgun load you can increase the odds of hitting considerably.

What does NOT make sense in 2008 is to officially call a weapon 'the Judge'.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Jefepato

This seems a worthwhile tool for self-defense.  Apparently it's ideal against poisonous snakes, at least.

Besides, who says we're not developing things that will benefit the world?  The gun industry is probably the wrong place to look for life-saving medicines and suchlike.

Jefepato

Quote from: CptCalico on March 22, 2008, 03:32:00 PM
What does NOT make sense in 2008 is to officially call a weapon 'the Judge'.

The Taurus website claims:

Quote from: TaurusThe "Taurus Judge® " is so named because of the number of judges who carry it into the courtroom for their protection.

No idea if it's true, though.

strangely made

People will buy it because of how it's marketed http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-theJudge-video.cfm and because it's a shiny new bang bang .

As too why it's made, well....Taurus like every fire arms manufacturer have to create new markets for their weapons and what better way than to re-brand a pistol that has been around for years. It's not a new idea just re-envisaged for the fear society that has been created. In fact Taurus already had two other .410/45LC revolvers plus no end of Personal defence and or Concealed Carry revolvers and semi autos.

But if you want silly guns then have a look at this...http://www.swissminigun.com/gallery_steel.html.

Yes it is real, yes it does fire real ammunition and no you can't buy it in the States.

Jefepato

Quote from: strangely made on March 22, 2008, 03:35:54 PMBut if you want silly guns then have a look at this...http://www.swissminigun.com/gallery_steel.html.

Yes it is real, yes it does fire real ammunition and no you can't buy it in the States.

If I could imagine a situation where I'd want to fire a 2mm bullet, I would be deeply offended by this.

Sabby

Hunter

*blinks*

This is news how?  ???

Interchangeable barrels on pistols aren't new.  I've been seeing advertising for something similar (advertised as an anti-snake weapon) for over a year now.

strangely made

It doesn't have interchangeable barrels Hunter. .410ga and 45LC are both the same size so they can fit into the same chamber with out the need to change anything. Similar .38 and .357, they are both comparable is size and can be fired from the same weapon.

Mindhazingsquid

They've also rifled the barrel (probably just worded to sound impressive) so that the shot from the 410 spreads... better(?).

Hunter

Sorry but I'm really not seeing an issue here.   ???

It's like someone coming out with 190 proof alcohol and calling it "More Drunk"