Recruiting: high scale Pathfinder, Taldor, aka Byzantium focused

Started by Kolbrandr, June 02, 2013, 03:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolbrandr

Are there any from the short blurb list anyone would like a crack at?

edit: I have a particular image in mind of the Zonaras that I should probably do the writeup for, but for anything else there I'm happy to just give some rough guidelines for anyone that wants to grab up an organization or family there.

Ebb

The full list is here:

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/Taldor#Noble_Houses

If you can click on the name of the House and go to another page, it's already either done or being worked on.
If it's just text and not a link, it's not yet claimed, I suppose.

Kolbrandr

There's also some organizations in there, along with the royal and senatorial families, to say.

Kolbrandr

Oh, this isn't to say that anyone /has/ to grab one of these up, I'm cool to keep plunking writeups down while concepts are still being hashed out and all, but if you guys do want to, that would be cool as well.

avorae

Well I might try my hand at the The Verduran Druids seeing as it ties into my concept but I make no promises.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: avorae on June 19, 2013, 03:33:33 PM
Well I might try my hand at the The Verduran Druids seeing as it ties into my concept but I make no promises.

Don't feel like you have to, seriously. It was just an offer for if anyone was interested.

Ironwolf85

I might take a crack at it with my first cleric Aubert,  change his faith from Pelor to Isodome or Sarenrae.
probably have him trying to be a missionary for the Isodome crusade, getting swept up in Taldor's political world when he starts trying to improve the lot of the poor.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Meliai

I'm going to assume auto-correct has struck and you probably meant Iomedae, not Isodome. Keep in mind that worship of Sarenrae is officially banned in Taldor, so you've gotta keep it secret or you'll get your head chopped off! :-)

((plus she's boring Iomedae is way cooler))
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

kckolbe

Iomedae is a Chelish god as well, though I don't know if she is banned as well or just not popular or politically wise.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Kolbrandr

Quote from: kckolbe on June 19, 2013, 07:41:07 PM
Iomedae is a Chelish god as well, though I don't know if she is banned as well or just not popular or politically wise.

More just not all that popular, relatively speaking. So he can certainly worship Iomedae if he likes, it's just going to be a climb in game to try and popularize her faith if he wants to.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Brainstorming a few ideas for other NPC factions I could work on.

How would the following work?

Secret House of Vampires?

Various Cults?

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 19, 2013, 08:43:02 PM
Brainstorming a few ideas for other NPC factions I could work on.

How would the following work?

Secret House of Vampires?

Various Cults?

It would depend on what they looked like when more fleshed out? It's hard to yea or nay a quick phrase.

kckolbe

There are two canon Houses that are various levels of cult-y.  You could write up one of them.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

I will do a list of Guilds there should be a good number and most would just protect and promote a profession or trade.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Was mainly asking if vampires/cults would fit in Taldor at all, seems like they would so will continue brainstorming. Undead hunting House comes to mind too.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 19, 2013, 09:43:51 PM
Was mainly asking if vampires/cults would fit in Taldor at all, seems like they would so will continue brainstorming. Undead hunting House comes to mind too.

Already wrote up an entire npc house o monster hunters, two npc houses o monster hunters would be a bit redundant. So that I can comment on.

RubySlippers

Okay a basic list of guilds:

Guild of Whores (not courtesans this is for panderers and prostitutes, supported by the Temple of Calistria)
Brothers and Sisters of Masques (entertainers guild)
Guild of Metal Crafters (if one works with metal its your guild)
Guild of Carpentry and Shipwrights (woodworkers)
Slave Traders Guild
Guild of Servants (oversees freemen and freewomen working in households)
Merchants Guild (handles buying and selling of goods, business owners)
Shipmasters and Owners Guild (handle ship owners and captains, officers)
Beggars Guild
Guild of Crafts (handles lesser crafts, catch all for those not in other areas)
Guild of Shield and Blade (hireswords)
Guild of Hides and Meat (butchers, hide vendors, tanners and armorers working in non-metal)
Guild of the Coin (bankers, money lenders and exchangers of coin)
Druggists Guild (healers not attached to temples who don't use magic)
Scribes Guild (scribes, calligraphers and bookmakers)
Honorable and Most Esteemed Guild of Ratcatchers, Dung Gatherers and Manual Laborers
Guild of Mages (sorcerers and wizards)
Peddler's Guild (approved arm for those dealing in small merchant efforts of the Merchant's Guild)

EroticFantasyAuthor

I was thinking a more specialized house of undead hunters rather than just another general monster hunting house.

Edit: And PM reminder

Kolbrandr

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 19, 2013, 10:20:07 PM
I was thinking a more specialized house of undead hunters rather than just another general monster hunting house.

Edit: And PM reminder

Taldor's not Ustalav, a group that does nothing but hunt the undead is a might overspecialized.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 19, 2013, 10:07:58 PM
Okay a basic list of guilds:

Guild of Whores (not courtesans this is for panderers and prostitutes, supported by the Temple of Calistria)
Brothers and Sisters of Masques (entertainers guild)
Guild of Metal Crafters (if one works with metal its your guild)
Guild of Carpentry and Shipwrights (woodworkers)
Slave Traders Guild
Guild of Servants (oversees freemen and freewomen working in households)
Merchants Guild (handles buying and selling of goods, business owners)
Shipmasters and Owners Guild (handle ship owners and captains, officers)
Beggars Guild
Guild of Crafts (handles lesser crafts, catch all for those not in other areas)
Guild of Shield and Blade (hireswords)
Guild of Hides and Meat (butchers, hide vendors, tanners and armorers working in non-metal)
Guild of the Coin (bankers, money lenders and exchangers of coin)
Druggists Guild (healers not attached to temples who don't use magic)
Scribes Guild (scribes, calligraphers and bookmakers)
Honorable and Most Esteemed Guild of Ratcatchers, Dung Gatherers and Manual Laborers
Guild of Mages (sorcerers and wizards)
Peddler's Guild (approved arm for those dealing in small merchant efforts of the Merchant's Guild)

Hum, leet me just go over this. Though I'm going to ask off of one of them if you're channeling Warhammer Fantasy especially ;p

EroticFantasyAuthor

Quote from: Kolbrandr on June 19, 2013, 10:29:59 PM
Taldor's not Ustalav, a group that does nothing but hunt the undead is a might overspecialized.

Ahh alrighty, that's what I was checkin'

Phaia

The Royal Order of Companions

House of the Setting Sun: The Royal Order of Companions

Over all House Alignment: Lawful Neutral [neutral good tendencies]

Favoured Deity: None Offically [unoffically the order has a temple to Calistria Located at The House]

House Blazon: Taldor Shield of Green and Blue with red Sunset in place of White Lion

House Motto: Honour from Service

Common Classes: Bard, Rogue, Courtesan, Expert, Adept

Uncommon Classes: Sorcerer, Cleric, Fighter

Rare: Wizard, Ranger

Never: Monk, Druid

House Structure: The Order’s chain of Command is clear and well defined. Only one wears the title of High Domina gifted by the Grand Prince in 4080 after 13 members of the House of the Setting Sun, one of the best Brothels in Oppara, died protecting the Royal family. The High Domina is chosen by ballot from the senior ‘Ladies’ of the order and then has to be confirmed by the Grand Prince, normally in an elaborate ceremony with a party afterwards. This Confirmation is oft times marred by Senatorial maneuvering, mainly to delay but at times to try and force the 'Lady' they would prefer to be the High Domina, and Noble posturing, often out of spite that the Order even dares claim ties to the Bearded ones.

The order acts as unofficial guards to the Royal family and Grand Prince. They also serve as eyes and ears among the various houses and senators keeping track of plots and dangers to the crown and royal family. The Order has learned many secrets over the years, secrets that many families would much prefer no one ever knew of. As such the 'Ladies' have given their lives protecting the royal family and the Grand Prince. It would be wrong to think that one of the 'Ladies' is nothing more then the delicate and exotic courtesan they appear to be when in fact every single one of them graduate from one of the Bardic Colleges which no only includes performance abilities but also training in weapons and armor.

The current High Domina, Ahrainna ndu'Aran was recently approved in a very quick almost effortless fashion with almost no ceremony and no party afterwards. She replaced the former Domina Faerlena who along with 5 other 'former' members died trying to protect Princess Eutropia.

The full members of the order are called "Ladies" and when ready to be a full member [through testing and gradutating from one of the Bard Academies] they are presented to the current Grand Prince for approval. This often takes the form of intense questioning over night. Normally out of tradition the order has 33 Full members but after the upheavals of the past year or so and with several deaths from the actions of Grand Duke Maxentian of House Branas, the order stands at 22 members. Once approved as a member of the Order, Tradition requires a Lady to take the surname ndu'Aran -a version of elvish loosely meaning Setting Sun.
A 'Lady' can leave the order, for various reasons [often being marriage or retirement] by presenting a written and carefully prepared letter to the Grand Prince. A few of the letters have been presented after the Lady in question has left.

Grand Prince Stavian has of late been asking when the next Lady or Ladies would be ready for approval. He disapproves of the order not being fully staffed as tradition allows and has mentioned considering a Royal Command to fill their ranks, which the new Domina has quietly and very effectively been able to side step.

General Overview:
The House itself had existed for nearly a thousand years in one form or another. Starting as a Tavern catering to the nonhuman with a clear Elf influence and named after an Ancient elven site. As the years passed and Women of the tavern found they were in high demand by the nobles and upper society the House shifted from a tavern into a high society Brothel offering the best [or so claimed at the time] and most exotic of Courtesans. As the years passed this claim actually began to be a fact. Ladies of the house were well educated in the arts of the court and known for their beauty and quality even if they were nonhuman. The ladies grew close to the royal family over the years many of them becoming part of the royal ensemble and keeping the Grand Prince privately informed on happenings they knew off and becoming wealthy from the patronage.

That Changed in 4079 with the invasion of Qadira. As with many things a grand party was thrown showing the world that everything was fine and no one was concerned, even as the enemy closed on and assaulted the city. A force was able to get within the walls and made their way to the Imperial Palace. There they attacked and while panic filled the palace the Ulfen guard fought the enemy forces and spirited the Grand Prince away from danger. The Royal Family, the grand princess and her two children were left behind. As various attendants and noble forces threw themselves at the enemy the Ladies of the House spirited them to a far corner of the palace and when Qadira forces broke through 13 of them split from the rest and fought back. The rest of the ladies, who many called royal whores, guided the royal family through the streets by ways normally only taken by locals and to the House of the Setting Sun. The next day the Royal family returned to the palace and the Grand Prince to find that all 13 of the ladies that had stayed behind had died. Most had at least one Qadira dead with them and they had blunted the assault.

A famous painting, called 'Knives of the Courtesans', still hangs in the palace. The painting shows one woman in a lovely sensual gown clinging to the back of a large furious Qadira Knight with a dagger raised high as a second bleeding woman clung to his legs with another dagger raised.

A grateful Grand Prince in reward for their bravery and sacrifice formed the Royal Order of Companions and degreed the House of the Setting Sun as the orders resident. Since then other 'Ladies' have died defending the Royal Family.

The Order is the eyes and ears not only for the current Grand Prince but often for the heir as well. Helping to groom them. The Ladies also are normally close companions with the women of the Royal Family. The order receives Royal Patronage which aids in their wealth. The ladies also still charge for their services to non-royals and are much sought  after often because of the closeness they have to the Royals.

Comments? concerns? Let me know what You all think

Phaia

Phaia

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Notable Current Members of the Order:

High Domina Ahrainna ndu'Aran [Half elf] 'The Dancer' (Bard//Sorcerer gesalt)

Lady Ardoare ndu'Aran [Tiefling] 'The Blade' (Bard//Fighter, Rondelero Duelist Archetype gesalt)

its late for me so I will work on these later

Phaia

kckolbe

I have to find a way for Larsen to have ties to this.  Also, fun question, but why no paladins?  They are charisma heavy and the Order's alignment isn't far off.

Intro Thread

Kolbrandr

Very quick notes.. as I noted before, if the nobility outright don't like them, their function as desired courtesans and companions to the aristocracy doesn't super work, that part should be edited out.

this bit:

QuoteNoble posturing, often out of spite that the Order even dares claim ties to the Bearded ones.

They're after more a sponsored imperial order than anything, the nobility aren't super likely to see themselves being infringed on. The bit with senatorial maneuvering is fine, as the bureaucracy does try to run as much of Taldor as possible, and being otherwise outside of their decision making process would mean they would try to have them brought under or influenced by it.

The order acts as unofficial guards to the Royal family and Grand Prince.

Cut out the Grand Prince part, duder has the Ulfens after all, so they're more known for guarding the rest of the imperial family.

Put in something to emphasize the social primary function of the House so as to not feel infringing on the shtick of the Lion Blades.

Something like, in house overview or such..

"For single or widower Grand Princes, the House serves as a source of elegant companions for event and function that allows them to remain somewhat above otherwise frenzied jockeying for a union with them. They are often found otherwise serving as ladies in waiting to members of the Prince's family, as a source to draw on for such figures without having to allow the influence that would come from picking them out from other factions. This has of course lead some detractors to deride such Grand Princes as have favoured that course of actions as "having the imperial daughters trailed after by whores". The House is otherwise renowned and valued amongst those that appreciate it for providing an elegant and exquisite set of companions and courtesans that fit seamlessly into any event of any scale. While by this point a basically open assumption that any grouping with imperial patronage relates such as it knows to the imperial family, many amongst the royal and senatorial families drawn to their allure simply try keep as much focus as they might to meaningless pleasantries when in their company. This doesn't of course entirely prevent the members of the order from marking out useful bits of information all the same, nor from managing to ferret out the secrets they look for in the first place.

The Order also sees a brisk business in serving to acclimate the often foundering newly raised members of the senatorial or royal castes to their new level of society, often hired to provide crash courses in etiquette and bearing to whole families, or to hang off the arm of a raised up from the common man senator or royal caste noble at enough events until they manage to seem at least somewhat like they fit in. The Grand Prince himself, when looking to seem either magnanimous or to indebt a struggling new noble to his person, will often command the Order to offer such services without cost, on his behalf. They are often otherwise called on to consult in the planning of the various galas of the upper crust by those otherwise without such expertise to draw upon."