Dealing with Depression ~ A Personal Point of View

Started by Rhedyn, January 21, 2011, 12:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhedyn

Quote from: Sybl on January 23, 2012, 12:05:51 AM
*Hugs Rhedyn*

*snuggles Sybl* Thanks dear, I needed that.

*flits around doling out hugs to Starlequin and Adam and anyone else who wants them*

Night Stalker

Ons and Offs           NightStalker's Role Playing Requests - Reprised.          A/A's - Updated        
I stalk the night, looking for her
My next victim to take away from here
She will be the prize to my collection
A joy for me to hold and use at my discretion
I belong to the night, stalking it and surveying
taking what I need to suffice my desires
I am the NightStalker

Remiel

Starlequin, I can't even begin to imagine what you've gone through, but you are very brave for sharing it with us.  Stay strong, my friend.

*offers hugs all around*

Rhatha

All I want to tell you is that I understand.  I understand what it is like to be so depressed you can barely move, speak or function, and I have suffered from that for a long time.  Just hang in there; I have found that people tend to love others, just for being others, and that they never truly want them to suffer.  You will always have friends.

Adammair

Quote from: Rhatha on January 30, 2012, 12:05:22 AM
I have found that people tend to love others, just for being others, and that they never truly want them to suffer.  You will always have friends.

*hugs Rhatha, and then leaves hugs for anyone and everyone else who wants one*

Welcome, Rhatha. Best of luck to you on a speedy approval.

CelticWings

-Quietly sneaks in again for a few of the hugs, and leaves a thank you note for all the people offering so much knowing and unknowing support to perfect strangers (like herself)-
...I sense there's something in the wind
That feels like tragedy's at hand...
Current posting speed - ...
Availability: Open and looking

Sybl

Quote from: CelticWings on January 31, 2012, 01:03:42 PM
-Quietly sneaks in again for a few of the hugs, and leaves a thank you note for all the people offering so much knowing and unknowing support to perfect strangers (like herself)-

CelticWings,
though you and I may not know one another (yet) we are from from strangers.  You have my support and all of our support any time you need it, and open PM boxes any time you need a hug or hugs, there are plenty to be had for the taking.
*hugs you*

Sybl

Sybl

Quote from: Rhatha on January 30, 2012, 12:05:22 AM
All I want to tell you is that I understand.  I understand what it is like to be so depressed you can barely move, speak or function, and I have suffered from that for a long time.  Just hang in there; I have found that people tend to love others, just for being others, and that they never truly want them to suffer.  You will always have friends.
Same goes for Rhatha, as does CelticWings...
(I couldn't modify my post. sorry I missed you) *hugs*

Rhedyn

*offers welcoming hugs to everyone who has visited*

Yeah, so it's been a bad one for me. That first slump was the start of a big episode. I think it's clearing off now thank god, the weekend was tough, I had a few panic attacks which has never happened to me before. Then I made the mistake of talking about it to the wrong person and we all know how that pans out... *sigh*

I had this well thought out, prettily worded blog post all planned in my head but it just never got written, it was just too much to try and cope with.

Sybl

*leaves cuddle hugs for Rhedyn* I know panic attacks, well. I sympathize with you for ever having any, they are no fun. *Leaves some more hugs for all who need or wants them*

Adammair

Quote from: Rhedyn on January 31, 2012, 04:32:38 PM
Then I made the mistake of talking about it to the wrong person and we all know how that pans out... *sigh*

That's the story of my life, right there, Rhedyn. I seem to always say the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong person.

*offers hugs and an open PM box*

Quote from: Sybl on January 31, 2012, 07:12:47 PM
*leaves cuddle hugs for Rhedyn* I know panic attacks, well. I sympathize with you for ever having any, they are no fun. *Leaves some more hugs for all who need or wants them*

+1

Rhedyn

Thank you both *snuggles with Sybl and Adam*

Next time I will try to remember to PM someone who understands it better, thanks for the offer Adam, I will endeavour to take you up on it in the future. The panic attack made me well...panic...and I had to talk to someone right then and there but he didn't really understand and just made me feel like there was something terribly wrong with me.

Modern Fairy Tale

Does anyone ever notice that when depression hits you, it feels like everything just gets heavier.  I remember a comercial for an antidepressent where the depressent toy-like figure had to wind himself/herself up to get anything done.  I feel like that sometimes... nowdays I picture this is the most intense my feelings get.  It just feels like everything is soooo veeerrrry haaarrrrrd.  And everytime it comes up again, it feels like its just a bit harder... until you are sure you are just going to fall over and drop the ball or something and look really silly.  Just because I couldnt... do whatever it is I was trying to do because by then it felt like pushing up against a concrete wall or something.  The funny thing is that... even if its a learned behavior or a chemical imbalance, you notice by my age that it exists only as an illusion, kind of a self delusion seperating you from the truth.  If you can just... turn your attention to something else or something... just break the chain just for a few seconds, whatever it is is lightened greatly.  Like shuffling your feet through mud... gets harder and harder... until you have to lift the foot completely up to take the next step.  Then start to feel it sinking again.  You just have to renew yourself.

Sorry to vent on here.  Usually I just give advice a few times.  This once, though, this is kind of a current report of how I am feeling.  Im in this program, its kind of trying and exhausting.  Im in an internship.  Right now, its so hard... I just have to reset my mood somehow.  As often as I can, every day sometimes.  I guess thats what Im trying to do now.  Lift that heavy foot and just take another step.  The difficulty is just a mindset and if you reset it... poof, it will be gone.  Its tiring sometimes.  I know tommarrow I will have to tell myself this again and reset so I can go in and do my best and get my license so I can have a better life... its just the path is so long... but it is finite.  So every step I take is toward this goal.  I can do it... just think one more step today.  Just think about the few steps you have to do this week.  Then... lets just go from there.

Anyway, I usually write on this column as if I am an almighty Jedi of the Depressed Side.  The truth is I have hard days too.  I have times when I am weak and everything around me seems so overwelming.  This is one such time.  I stand beside you when you are troubled.  Just thought you deserved to know this.  Every teacher should show his credentials somewhere in his office.  These are my credentials.  Life is hard... living it is a heros struggle.  Dont lay down under the pressures, stand up to it.  Think of it as exercise for the mind and soul.  Exercise is hard... but its benefits are definitely worth it.  Treat your depression like gravity... if it werent for gravity walking would be impossible.  Perhaps its just a force to keep you on the ground.  Hope this is useful to someone.
She again rubbed a match on the wall, and the light shone round her; in the brightness stood her old grandmother, clear and shining, yet mild and loving in her appearance. "Grandmother," cried the little one, "O take me with you; I know you will go away when the match burns out; you will vanish like the warm stove, the roast goose, and the large, glorious Christmas-tree." And she made haste to light the whole bundle of matches, for she wished to keep her grandmother there. And the matches glowed with a light that was brighter than the noon-day, and her grandmother had never appeared so large or so beautiful. She took the little girl in her arms, and they both flew upwards in brightness and joy far above the earth, where there was neither cold nor hunger nor pain, for they were with God. 
Hans Christian Anderson in The Little Match Girl

Adammair

Quote from: Modern Fairy Tale on February 01, 2012, 12:41:10 PM
Life is hard... living it is a hero's struggle.  Dont lay down under the pressures, stand up to it.  Think of it as exercise for the mind and soul.  Exercise is hard... but its benefits are definitely worth it.  Treat your depression like gravity... if it werent for gravity walking would be impossible.  Perhaps its just a force to keep you on the ground.  Hope this is useful to someone.

Very well said, Modern...VERY well said! I must memorize this, but with everything else I have going through my mind at any given moment, I doubt I'll be able to. *sighs*

Sybl

Quote from: Rhedyn on February 01, 2012, 08:41:35 AM
Thank you both *snuggles with Sybl and Adam*

Next time I will try to remember to PM someone who understands it better, thanks for the offer Adam, I will endeavour to take you up on it in the future. The panic attack made me well...panic...and I had to talk to someone right then and there but he didn't really understand and just made me feel like there was something terribly wrong with me.
>:( Nothing aggravates me more than the better than thou attitudes of people who don't have an f'ing clue what it is to be so depressed you can't seem to crawl out of a wet paper bag let alone see the light above your head. Grrrrr.

Then you have those brainless twits that tell you there is something wrong with you, [um.. hello, you think?  :o Of course there is something wrong, that's why I came to you for help...]

Panic or anxiety attacks as they are called is a symptom of something else, and to those brainless twits... it can happen to you abnormal( those who think they are above it are abnormal in my book) people too, you don't have to suffer from depression to have them.

Okay what you had with your 'friend' Rhedyn was a communication failure... so, ignore that comment.

There is nothing 'wrong' with you, you had a symptom, nothing more nothing less.. what did you learn? [  Sybl's PM box is in need of filling '  ]

I understand fully about panic and anxiety, I had quite a few over December's holiday and New Years, with the news that 'we' are no longer considered part of the [blood] family.. should I be surprised? no, not really, but it hurt hearing it, and I suddenly felt all alone in this world. That said, I needed to come here and look for a friendly...which I did, and thanks to the love of my life and a few good 'new family' members, I had much support during this horrendous time.

So.. fill my PM box to over flowing...anytime you need to vent.. I am a good listener.. and sharing with each other helps us all see we are not as alone as we thought.
*leaves a thread full of hugs for you and all who need them*

Sybl

Rhatha

I understand so much what you all mean, and to hear you express it means a lot to me.  After my suicide attempt, it felt like everyone I went to was just stressed out by my being there, or disturbed by how crazy I was, and didn't take the time to just listen, even though that's all I wanted them to do; I didn't want them to do anything, I knew they couldn't, but I just wanted them to listen.  So, yeah, that's all I wanted to say.  I'm fine now, but I understand not being listened to.

Sybl

*Hugs*
I think that would be so nice Rhatha to have that 1 person we need just to listen.
Not do anything......... but listen.

Anjasa

Anyone wanna vacation somewhere warm with me?

I've been doing fine on the 'depression' front lately, but the winter blahs are becoming a real issue.

Adammair

Vacation...? Warm...? Count me in, Anjasa.

But, oh, wait...I've got a job and college classes to think about. Ahh, screw the job...let's go! (Notice I didn't say "screw the college classes".) XD

Sybl

Do take Adammair.. (Please)  XD

enjoy your vacation Anjasa *hugs*

Anjasa

Ohh it's just a mind vacation right now.

http://www.theonion.com/video/today-now-save-money-by-taking-a-vacation-entirely,20678/

I caught myself staring wistfully at a picture of blue sky.

40cm so far since Tuesday and there's another storm coming tonight. Jumwa's mom is heading to Dominican soon... I might stow away in her luggage.

Sybl

Here I am again. Emptied out, hurting and wondering why? Why do those who are supposed to love you get so much enjoyment out of ripping you apart? Living sucks at times.

Adammair

Quote from: Sybl on February 06, 2012, 01:12:01 PM
Here I am again. Emptied out, hurting and wondering why? Why do those who are supposed to love you get so much enjoyment out of ripping you apart? Living sucks at times.

*offers his warmest hugs* We love you, Sybl! Don't let the bastards win...

Athos

Quote from: Sybl on February 06, 2012, 01:12:01 PM

I'm sorry that they've got you down, darling. Know that we love you very much. I'm here if you need me.

Current roleplay status:  Looking for new stories.

"Weep," said Athos, "Weep, heart full of love, youth and life! Alas, I would I could weep like you!"

Sybl

Quote from: Adammair on February 06, 2012, 05:11:15 PM
*offers his warmest hugs* We love you, Sybl! Don't let the bastards win...
Thank you Adammair..they won't. *accepts hugs and love.*

Quote from: Athos on February 07, 2012, 12:39:42 AM
I'm sorry that they've got you down, darling. Know that we love you very much. I'm here if you need me.
Thank you Athos. I knew that, it is why I posted here. I know you all understand, and care so much.