The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Sure, they weren't Iron Man or Avengers level - but they were good enough (first two SM movies, that is). And a 40% success rate is enough to keep me from giving up in disgust before I even see the movie.

SapphireStar

The first two Spider-Man movies felt like comic book come to life on the screen. Had action, adventure, and humor especially with scenes involving J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson, Ted Raimi as his assistant and cameos by Bruce Campbell. J.K. Simmons was perfectly cast. Alfred Molina as Doc Ock was awesome, with a tragic hero at the end. Some of the casting was okay, but overall more enjoyable to watch then the reboot. Overall, usually it comes down to what the studio execs will or won't allow in the movie for content, as well as picking who they believe will be a big box office draw. At the time, both Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maquire were hot items.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 25, 2015, 09:25:01 AM
Sure, they weren't Iron Man or Avengers level - but they were good enough (first two SM movies, that is). And a 40% success rate is enough to keep me from giving up in disgust before I even see the movie.

I'm glad you are willing to say they weren't even as good as the first Iron Man since that seems less perfect every time I watch it too (but then I tend to have a thing about movies where the final conflict becomes a one-sided beatdown) but they weren't complete train wrecks like TASM 1 and 2. I just want to see a Peter Parker who has more time to devote to using that brain of his and not relying so heavily on others who aren't super for help, where he can simultaneously fight crime AND do his day-job as a freelance photographer. That way home drama can be more balanced and there's fewer reasons to be a crybaby or have to assume social obligations that cut into his action.

I will see Civil War's intro for him and gauge whether or not his stand-alone is going to be worth anyone's time. Five minutes should be sufficient if they give him minimal face-time in it to determine whether this third time around is the charm.

I just had a crazy thought. What if the studios had done a raffle-style thing where the properties that aren't so hot, like Ghost Rider, F4, Spidey and a few other miscellaneous properties, were put into a hat and the studios that own some of the rights, like Sony, Fox, Universal (which is giving Namor back as we speak, I believe) and of course Marvel themselves, and the studios draw lots to swap the rights from whoever's holding them now to anyone else who picks them out of the hat? That way Sony could let go of Ghost Rider and maybe let Universal or Fox have a shot at it, and Sony could pick F4 out of the hat and give that a shot instead. And then Fox could let go of F4 and get Spider-Man to do their own thing with and see how that works out. Wouldn't that be awesome?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

I happened upon an article online regarding release dates for superhero movies. It looks like a potential New Mutants movie is in the works, at least from the image used and description. It is labeled as an Untitled Marvel movie. Though what kind of baffles me is why the Avengers Infinity War is spaced out so far apart. Part one for May 2018 and Part 2 for May 2019. Though I guess it is to allow for the inclusion of new characters like Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 26, 2015, 10:01:50 PM
I happened upon an article online regarding release dates for superhero movies. It looks like a potential New Mutants movie is in the works, at least from the image used and description. It is labeled as an Untitled Marvel movie. Though what kind of baffles me is why the Avengers Infinity War is spaced out so far apart. Part one for May 2018 and Part 2 for May 2019. Though I guess it is to allow for the inclusion of new characters like Captain Marvel and Doctor Strange.

Well before Spider-Man got into the mix and threw off all the timing, the gap between Infinity Wars would have allowed for the solo Captain Marvel AND Inhumans movies, bringing in a supremely powerful hero and a group of varying-powered individuals to combat Thanos since from the sound of things (this may have been either retracted or wasn't true in the first place) the same Avengers characters aren't going to be featured in BOTH Infinity War movies, with the exception of Hulk. So if Iron Man, Thor, Cap, and anyone else we've seen already get slaughtered before or during Part 1, there'll be plenty of fresh meat for the grinder in Part 2.

Given how IW was originally supposed to conclude Phase 3 but now that privilege goes to Inhumans, I have to wonder how they'll keep that from just being another afterthought like Ant-Man, which doesn't look like it will break the 500M barrier. I mean, I just wonder if things might have been different if they stuck to the original plan and made Ant-Man the beginning Phase 3 instead, maybe waiting a few more months or even until the following year to release it, if that might have given it more time to shine and get even better critical reviews and make closer to what all the other Phase 2 films made.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Marvel released another short teaser for Jessica Jones...lets be honest how many of us wish we had done this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3s178GW0Q&feature=player_detailpage
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 27, 2015, 07:07:29 PM
Marvel released another short teaser for Jessica Jones...lets be honest how many of us wish we had done this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ3s178GW0Q&feature=player_detailpage

3 in the afternoon, though? Does her job really allow for that? I mean, even Matt Murdock still operates during normal daytime hours as a lawyer when he's spent most of the night in his ninja costume. Also, why only teasers and no REAL trailers? Even Daredevil's were better than this.

CaptainNexus616

Well Murdock had trained himself from a child to run like that. While his hero career was just beginning in Daredevil, Foggy did say that he had to keep training after Stick left him. Plus I imagine he doesn't sleep too much either since he can hear almost everything going on nearby at night when crime is really active.

Judging by the trailer....Jessica Jones had a really rough night that involved a lot of drinking.  Plus it could be her day off since she's her own boss  ;D.

As for the trailers? IDK blame Marvel. Guessing they are relying on people who were hooked on Dardevil to be excited for this as well (I am guilty as charged)
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

From the comics, Jessica Jones was basically the world's worst superhero. She'd crash into things while flying, etc. She gave it up to run the investigative business. And, if I remember right, assisted S.H.I.E.L.D. on some cases. I'd be curious to see if they eventually bring Misty Knight and Colleen Wing into one of the shows to eventually kick off a Heroes for Hire show.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 27, 2015, 09:52:56 PM
From the comics, Jessica Jones was basically the world's worst superhero. She'd crash into things while flying, etc. She gave it up to run the investigative business. And, if I remember right, assisted S.H.I.E.L.D. on some cases. I'd be curious to see if they eventually bring Misty Knight and Colleen Wing into one of the shows to eventually kick off a Heroes for Hire show.

Given that they already have two of the biggest names in the Heroes for Hire getting their own shows, I'm surprised they didn't just do that in the first place. I just hope they can all carry a full 13-episode season. I would find it hard to believe Jones isn't going to either run into Matt Murdock/Daredevil if she's also operating in Hell's Kitchen. It's just too small a world for that not to be a strong possibility.

CaptainNexus616

I say they will do that but Jessica will have to gain a reputation in order to attract Daredevil's attention. Plus she'll probably be going to more than just Hell's Kitchen. Power-Man is based out in Harlem so a good chunk may be there.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 27, 2015, 11:31:39 PM
I say they will do that but Jessica will have to gain a reputation in order to attract Daredevil's attention. Plus she'll probably be going to more than just Hell's Kitchen. Power-Man is based out in Harlem so a good chunk may be there.

Well I meant if she's an investigator AND a former superhero herself, surely she'll be fascinated by the Daredevil popping up right in her own backyard. I doubt he'll know anything about her, so I was suggesting it would be the other way around. And yeah, Luke Cage is going to be a significant cameo presence in her show before he gets his own so she might gravitate around New York. Maybe if they do end up in Harlem they'll make mention of how much damage the Hulk's fight with the Abomination did. I love when they tie in closer to the MCU, even if it's subtle (like the poster of Battlin' Jack Murdock vs. Carl 'Crusher' Creel, AKA the Absorbing Man from Agents of SHIELD).

CaptainNexus616

Speaking of Hulk's fight if you look in Ben's office at the Bullientin on Daredevil you'll see he did an article on both Hulk's fight and the alien invasion. Gotta love those easter eggs.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on September 28, 2015, 11:10:57 AM
Speaking of Hulk's fight if you look in Ben's office at the Bullientin on Daredevil you'll see he did an article on both Hulk's fight and the alien invasion. Gotta love those easter eggs.

I'll do you one better: One of the youtube channels points out one of the picture-having articles around Ben's desk that looks a whole lot like Spider-Man if you zoom in, brighten and enhance.

SapphireStar

In season 2 of Arrow, when Oliver was going after Shrapnel, chasing him through the streets there is a bus coming down the road. When it passes you can see Blue Devil on the sign on the side of the bus promoting a movie with the character. As well as references to the Flash. Ted Kord was also mentioned in an episode.

It was pointed out in an article that there were several Buffy/Angel references in Age of Ultron. Reference to the Senior Partners from Angel, Wolfram and Hart, showed up in the Asgardian scene.

CaptainNexus616

I think one of my personal favorite easter eggs out of the Marvel Movies would be Tony Stark wearing a Black Sabbath shirt through most of the Avenger's movie  ;D

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 28, 2015, 09:27:10 PM
In season 2 of Arrow, when Oliver was going after Shrapnel, chasing him through the streets there is a bus coming down the road. When it passes you can see Blue Devil on the sign on the side of the bus promoting a movie with the character. As well as references to the Flash. Ted Kord was also mentioned in an episode.

Arrow is littered with Easter eggs although they toned it down a little last season:
Most of the streets are named after DC writers and artists
Quentin Lance's badge number is DC52
The boat on the island was called Amazo
Anatoly Knyazev (Russian mob boss on the island) is the alter-ego of the KGBeast
Dr. Brion Markov created the earthquake device and Brion Markov is the alter ego of GeoForce
The DA Kate Spencer is one of the character who operated under the name Manhunter as did Mark Shaw who also turned up on Arrow
A number of Deadshot's tattoos are names of the production staff.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Weird question: I was looking up the DVD release date for Age of Ultron and its says October 2nd...which is a Friday. But for all my life, new home videos are released on Tuesdays. Is this a special occurrence or has this now officially changed, so that now new feature films and home videos are both being released on Fridays?

SapphireStar

That is the release date I got too. I've been trying to find release date for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, but only one listed was the exclusive release date for Amazon. Sometimes things are released on Tuesdays or Fridays. It depends on the distribution.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on September 29, 2015, 08:07:44 PM
That is the release date I got too. I've been trying to find release date for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, but only one listed was the exclusive release date for Amazon. Sometimes things are released on Tuesdays or Fridays. It depends on the distribution.

Never heard of Friday distribution, tres weird. Especially since that's the day new theatrical movies get released, so wouldn't that be a bad marketing idea?

CaptainNexus616

Mathim

Now that's what I'm talking about! Reminds me of what made me fall in love with Honest Trailers in the first place. Avengers: The Roughly One Week of Ultron is exactly what it should have been called. They called in virtually every legitimate criticism too, which usually get left up to CinemaSins.

CaptainNexus616

You know I am really hoping Civil War is REALLY different compared to the comic book one. In my honest opinion the circumstances, and plot was straight up stupid.

mia h

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 01, 2015, 09:32:13 AM
You know I am really hoping Civil War is REALLY different compared to the comic book one. In my honest opinion the circumstances, and plot was straight up stupid.

I don't think they're going to go into revealing secret identities but they got to stick to central theme and ask the question : Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

After the Battle of Manhattan and what in happened Sokovia along with the appearance of Inhumans around the globe that we're going to see in AoS the very simple question of who keeps superheroes in check is going to raise it's head. Should it be done by external Government oversight or should superheroes be self-regulating? Who would you trust more to do the job, Congress or Tony Stark? The organization that was created to contain all to these types of threats turned out to be an even bigger threat in it's own right. Although I do think Civil War will end with SHIELD going public again.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the President announced the creation of the ATCU led by Rosaling Price to catch and contain or eliminate Inhumans. It was the same President from Iron Man 3. It has been reported that neither Maria Hill or Nick Fury are set to appear in Civil War, which means likely possibility of S.H.I.E.L.D. going public might not happen. If they go public it would be sometime during Season 3 as not only are they faced with the ATCU and Price but HYDRA as well as they try to find other Inhumans.