MARVEL - A New Fate: Recruitment (Continually Recruiting)

Started by Veluux, October 30, 2012, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

RedPhoenix

It's not too late! The game has barely started and there are lots of canon characters left, and lots of space for original characters as well! Come laugh at me as I screw up my first big game. :D
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Kuroneko

Quote from: RedPhoenix on November 18, 2012, 11:10:03 PM
It's not too late! The game has barely started and there are lots of canon characters left, and lots of space for original characters as well! Come laugh at me as I screw up my first big game. :D

That's not why I can't, but thank you :-)
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Caitlin

I'm interested in joining, but I only want to post in a single thread, would that be okay? It's just too much for me to handle 5 different threads and evolving storylines. As it is I only read the introduction post of this thread since I don't have the time to go through a hundred posts.

The character I'd like to play would be an original character, a nurse or doctor, with empathic powers and a healing touch. I thought it'd be fun to play a healer kind of character, but I'd have to work out a proper biography template first and also put in the weaknesses.

If you like my basic concept then please let me know. I want to get started on my character coming weekend, though I might start earlier if I have the time I need. Generally I spent a great deal of time to craft a character and make it something unique, so I rather don't get started on that process until I know what to expect. In my case my time is rather limited, but I commit I make sure I'll be able to be active in a thread too. :-)

(I would like to join one of the more active storylines however, preferably NY or LA, or Moscow if activity picks up there before the weekend.)

Caitlin

Bleh... I couldn't help myself. :P

The thing below is still a work in progress (as in it lacks pictures and proof reading), but it should give a reasonable impression of what I'm aiming for. I'm thinking of searching for a blonde woman in a black cat suit as avatar picture and the picture of an angel for the splash art.

Natasha Evans

Snow Angel

Known Aliases: Snowy, Angel (used only by close friends as a pet name, not be confused with the canon character Angel)
Role: Healer, support

Powers and Abilities:
Natasha’s main power is Empathy.
The power allows her to influence the emotions of others, making her targets feel what she wants them to feel. Typically she uses this power to soothe the pain her patients feel, but she can also arouse feelings of anger, love, hatred, jealousy, etc. to distract her opponents. If she focuses on a single individual she can even give him such intense feelings of loyalty towards her that her target will be benevolent to her cause. As she long she keeps her focus on that person, he doesn’t want to hurt her and even protect her.

Natasha’s secondary power is Healing Touch.
She has the ability to heal wounds and speed up regeneration, both on herself others and on others. She controls her ability to such a degree that she can influence which damage she heals. She can heal multiple patients as long as they’re in physical contact with either her or each other, but her healing isn’t as effective in that case as direct one-on-one healing, and takes much longer to take effect. With mortal wounds she can choose to stabilize a patient without giving him full recovery, by only healing the critically damaged areas in her patient’s body. Alternatively, this ability can also be used in combination with her empathy to cause pain, anguish, and suffering.

Training and Equipment:
She studied to be a physician and worked at her own practice as a GP until the Apocalypse hit.
She’s trained to use small and lightweight automatic weapons, but is only an average shot with these.
She has a black belt in Tai Jitsu, a martial arts she practiced as a hobby since early childhood.
She used to be a Den Mother with the Girl Scouts and she has advanced outdoor survival experience.

She has a pair of glasses that allows her to vastly see better in the dark, however, her glasses aren't as advanced as night vision goggles, nor do they work as well.
She wears a black body armor cat suit that offers her limited protection against offensive abilities from other mutants and bullets, however, sharp objects will penetrate the cat suit immediately, and overall it’s less effective than standard bulletproof vests; it protects her entire body except her head, but it doesn’t last as long as bulletproof vests do.
She always carries a lightweight backpack with her that contain essential medical supplies and high-calorie energy bars to replenish her energy.

Background and History:
Although Natasha was born in the USA, she is of East European ancestry, which still shows in her first name. During the Cold War her parents fled to American soil and adopted an American surname, so they could better fit in with the American population. Born in a family with highly educated parents, Natasha decided early in life to become a doctor and study medicine.

On the first day of the Apocalypse, Natasha’s fiancé died while defending her. She was captured and injected with Judgment. Although she longed to die after seeing the brutal slaughter of her fiancé, she remarkably survived the injection. Her new powers showed themselves nearly instantly; her empathic wails momentarily stunned the soldiers around, while she held her head in her hands to stabilize herself. The pain of all those around her that she felt in her head was almost unbearable, but by holding her head in her hands her second ability also activated itself; her instant healing touch cured her mind from the mind control that was taking her over, preventing her from becoming part of the enemy. With the nearby soldiers stunned, Natasha managed to escape mostly unscathed and noticed that she could heal her own wounds with her touch as well, although it left her feeling weak and faint.

She’s been wandering around the city ever since, seeking for a safe refuge. In a badly damaged survival store she found several useful items, among which were special glasses, a lightweight backpack which she filled with medical supplies and high-calorie energy bars, and a protective cat suit. In the back room of another store she found a nine mm handgun, two ammo clips and a holster.

Faults and Weaknesses:
Natasha is very affected by the emotions she makes others feel, since she shares the intensity of the feelings she gives. This can leave her emotionally exhausted when she uses her powers extensively. As a side effect she prefers to focus on positive emotions, since she benefits from that herself, but if it serves her survival or the survival of friends, she will not shy away from using negative emotions either. Her abilities only allow her opponents to be distracted by conflicted emotions, she does not control the emotions they already feel. When she uses her ability to make her target temporarily feel loyal to her, then her target will know what she did after the effect wore off, since his feelings of loyalty and love towards her will disappear as well then. Her ability to change somebody’s affiliation have little to no effect on zealots who are blindly devoted to their cause, like the Four Horseman and other devoted commanders with strong feelings about their cause. Typically only Apocalypse soldiers are weak-minded enough to be affected by her empathy to such a degree that they join her side.

Her healing ability costs her a lot of energy, and could potentially even kill her if she pushes herself beyond her limits when trying to heal several people at once who sustained a lot of wounds. The same could happen when she’s trying to heal a mortal wound, but she’s more likely to pass out from exhaustion before that happens. She carries high-calorie energy bars with her to replenish her energy after healing. If she runs out of energy bars then her ability to heal will be severely limited, and she will feel weak and faint after healing somebody, needing time to recover.

Her ability to inflict pain through her touch is only used in hand to hand combat or during interrogations. Although she can shield herself from most of the pain she inflicts, the pain does affect her to a small degree, and this makes it uncomfortable for her to use her ability.

She has a sweet personality and she dislikes causing injury, let alone death, preferringa non-lethal solution whenever possible. This can, however, cause problems when she’s in situations where she has to kill. As a physician she swore to do no harm, and she takes her oath very serious, even if it means that she’s the one who ends up injured. Whenever possible she’ll also do her best to treat and save enemy soldiers, even if it means risking to get shot or injured.

Current Relations and Activity:
Until the Apocalypse hit, Natasha was a gifted doctor, treating both humans and mutants in her practice, while not discriminating between the two. Now, however, Natasha is hopelessly lost in a new world, but hopes to join up the resistance preferably sooner than later. Currently she’s not affiliated with anybody.

Please note that her healing touch will normally not cure the mind control affect of Judgment. I figured this was a plausible method to escape from the soldiers that injected her and she won't be able to cure other soldiers.

[edit]
Found some placeholder pictures to go with it, although these might still change if I can find something better.

[edit2]
Fixed the descriptions of her Empathy to be more in line with how I pictured it to be. I also made it clear that she influences emotions of others, but doesn't control them.

Madriv

Hey Caitlin!

OC characters are very welcome, as long as they're not "clones" of an existing Marvel character (and I'm not qualified to make that judgement call, not being steeped in Marvel lore). But a healer sounds like a great idea!

Caitlin

Natasha shares some similarities with existing characters like Empath, but she's definitely not a clone no, and her abilities work slightly different. Empath was a mutant whose abilities had lasting effects, while Natasha's abilities wear off once she leaves the vicinity. In mutant levels I think Natasha would be a standard level 3. (Magneto/ Xavier are 4, Apocalypse/ Phoenix are 5, the average X men is 3.)

I'd love to add something new and unique, although it was quite a challenge to find a fitting code name that wasn't already taken and at least somewhat fitting. When it comes to abilities themselves I think it's okay if a character shares them with existing characters, even in canon there were different characters who shared the same abilities.

The way I envision my character is one that she can give the team an advantage versus the weaker foes, but that she's not really a match for the stronger ones, although she might offer a distraction and an escape in those situations. :-)

Either way I appreciate your reply, it's good to get some feedback on this! ;D

Crash

One issue Vel may have is the ability to control Emotions.  There is no controlling other characters in this game even though it is in the non-con forum so you may have to change or modify that power.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Caitlin

Well, emotions aren't the same as thoughts. He's firm against mind control (for understandable reasons I may add), but they keep control of their own thoughts.

I can understand the concerns, but I hope it won't be a big problem. From what I understood is that in PvP the GM has the final say in fights and the emotions she'll send should be more seen as a distraction rather than full outright control of their feelings. The idea I had for controlling the loyalty would be mostly in fights with NPC soldiers. From what I read they patrol in groups of four, Natasha could make one of those 4 feel very uncomfortable between his comrades and end up attacking them or have them temporarily switch allignment, but while she's performing this attack she'd need all her concentration just keep his emotions under her influence. Versus ordinary player characters that particular ability will be ineffective. (I hope to have made that clear with her weaknesses.) It'd probably actually be faster if she just gave the guy a headshot.

In a way it works like a mutant who can create distracting illusions and make other characters see things that aren't there. Natasha's empathic ability should be seen like that, except now that she makes others feel things that they aren't really feeling, and thus ends up distracting them in the process. It's more a distraction than control.

It's a bit hard for me to put it under words, but I can assure you that I won't make abuse of her gifts. I actually think that her empathy will mostly be used to relieve the pain that injured characters feel while she works on them with her healing touch. :-)

My description is still a work in progress though and perhaps I should clarify that part of her abilities better. I also don't have an issue with dropping the part where she makes others feel so loyal to her that they'd temporarily switch sides. It's only useful on the grunt soldiers anyway. (It's a bit like how Jedi mind tricks work, those work on Storm Troopers, but not on Darth Vader, or even their squad commanders.)

Crash

I just wanted to give you a heads up for possible issues. ;)

A note on locations.  I wouldn't worry to much about where you get out. The locations that are inactive are mostly do to attrition than bored players.  In fact the players there are anxious to get posting too.

I know you would be required to keep updated in the main GM update thread and read the bios section at least for the players in your area.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Caitlin

I skimmed over most of the biographies already and I read several in detail. I don't have any issues with reading all the biographies and I quite enjoy doing so. (Well except for the font size that seems intended for the elderly and near-sighted, but I can copy/paste the text to a word file if needed.) :P

The main GM update thread is also not a problem, in fact, I appreciate a central location for that, rather than an OOC topic with hard-to-find updates in it. It's just hard on me to keep updated on five different story threads as well, especially if they become very active. ;)

Caitlin

Oh, and before I forgot; of course I appreciate head ups!

I guess I should have clarified her powers more from the start.

Do you think my additional clarification makes it better to understand how it works? I'm thinking of using it in my current explanation.

Crash

I would leave it until you hear from a GM and get their feedback.  If they are ok with it them you will need to get it formatted and emailed to Vel.

apygoos

I love the character personally...and i fell asleep writing my Mid-Knight post >.>..i dont even know where i was going with it.

Caitlin

Oi, that's good to hear! ;D

I think I'll probably end up making a couple small tweaks to my post anyway, but I'm interested to learn what Vel thinks of it so far. I want my character to be a supporting char, but she doesn't have to be in the spotlights when all the fighting goes on. She can do some damage in hand to hand combat, but when it comes to shooting others are probably a lot better at dishing out damage. ^_^

Crash

Quote from: apygoos on November 20, 2012, 09:46:43 AM
I love the character personally...and i fell asleep writing my Mid-Knight post >.>..i dont even know where i was going with it.

Hah, that's not good.  Stream of Unconscious writing. ;)

Veluux

Quote from: Caitlin on November 20, 2012, 06:37:37 AM
Bleh... I couldn't help myself. :P

The thing below is still a work in progress (as in it lacks pictures and proof reading), but it should give a reasonable impression of what I'm aiming for. I'm thinking of searching for a blonde woman in a black cat suit as avatar picture and the picture of an angel for the splash art.

Natasha Evans

Snow Angel

Known Aliases: Snowy, Angel (used only by close friends as a pet name, not be confused with the canon character Angel)
Role: Healer, support

Powers and Abilities:
Natasha’s main power is Empathy.
The power allows her to influence the emotions of others, making her targets feel what she wants them to feel. Typically she uses this power to soothe the pain her patients feel, but she can also arouse feelings of anger, love, hatred, jealousy, etc. to distract her opponents. If she focuses on a single individual she can even give him such intense feelings of loyalty towards her that her target will be benevolent to her cause. As she long she keeps her focus on that person, he doesn’t want to hurt her and even protect her.

Natasha’s secondary power is Healing Touch.
She has the ability to heal wounds and speed up regeneration, both on herself others and on others. She controls her ability to such a degree that she can influence which damage she heals. She can heal multiple patients as long as they’re in physical contact with either her or each other, but her healing isn’t as effective in that case as direct one-on-one healing, and takes much longer to take effect. With mortal wounds she can choose to stabilize a patient without giving him full recovery, by only healing the critically damaged areas in her patient’s body. Alternatively, this ability can also be used in combination with her empathy to cause pain, anguish, and suffering.

Training and Equipment:
She studied to be a physician and worked at her own practice as a GP until the Apocalypse hit.
She’s trained to use small and lightweight automatic weapons, but is only an average shot with these.
She has a black belt in Tai Jitsu, a martial arts she practiced as a hobby since early childhood.
She used to be a Den Mother with the Girl Scouts and she has advanced outdoor survival experience.

She has a pair of glasses that allows her to vastly see better in the dark, however, her glasses aren't as advanced as night vision goggles, nor do they work as well.
She wears a black body armor cat suit that offers her limited protection against offensive abilities from other mutants and bullets, however, sharp objects will penetrate the cat suit immediately, and overall it’s less effective than standard bulletproof vests; it protects her entire body except her head, but it doesn’t last as long as bulletproof vests do.
She always carries a lightweight backpack with her that contain essential medical supplies and high-calorie energy bars to replenish her energy.

Background and History:
Although Natasha was born in the USA, she is of East European ancestry, which still shows in her first name. During the Cold War her parents fled to American soil and adopted an American surname, so they could better fit in with the American population. Born in a family with highly educated parents, Natasha decided early in life to become a doctor and study medicine.

On the first day of the Apocalypse, Natasha’s fiancé died while defending her. She was captured and injected with Judgment. Although she longed to die after seeing the brutal slaughter of her fiancé, she remarkably survived the injection. Her new powers showed themselves nearly instantly; her empathic wails momentarily stunned the soldiers around, while she held her head in her hands to stabilize herself. The pain of all those around her that she felt in her head was almost unbearable, but by holding her head in her hands her second ability also activated itself; her instant healing touch cured her mind from the mind control that was taking her over, preventing her from becoming part of the enemy. With the nearby soldiers stunned, Natasha managed to escape mostly unscathed and noticed that she could heal her own wounds with her touch as well, although it left her feeling weak and faint.

She’s been wandering around the city ever since, seeking for a safe refuge. In a badly damaged survival store she found several useful items, among which were special glasses, a lightweight backpack which she filled with medical supplies and high-calorie energy bars, and a protective cat suit. In the back room of another store she found a nine mm handgun, two ammo clips and a holster.

Faults and Weaknesses:
Natasha is very affected by the emotions she makes others feel, since she shares the intensity of the feelings she gives. This can leave her emotionally exhausted when she uses her powers extensively. As a side effect she prefers to focus on positive emotions, since she benefits from that herself, but if it serves her survival or the survival of friends, she will not shy away from using negative emotions either. Her abilities only allow her opponents to be distracted by conflicted emotions, she does not control the emotions they already feel. When she uses her ability to make her target temporarily feel loyal to her, then her target will know what she did after the effect wore off, since his feelings of loyalty and love towards her will disappear as well then. Her ability to change somebody’s affiliation have little to no effect on zealots who are blindly devoted to their cause, like the Four Horseman and other devoted commanders with strong feelings about their cause. Typically only Apocalypse soldiers are weak-minded enough to be affected by her empathy to such a degree that they join her side.

Her healing ability costs her a lot of energy, and could potentially even kill her if she pushes herself beyond her limits when trying to heal several people at once who sustained a lot of wounds. The same could happen when she’s trying to heal a mortal wound, but she’s more likely to pass out from exhaustion before that happens. She carries high-calorie energy bars with her to replenish her energy after healing. If she runs out of energy bars then her ability to heal will be severely limited, and she will feel weak and faint after healing somebody, needing time to recover.

Her ability to inflict pain through her touch is only used in hand to hand combat or during interrogations. Although she can shield herself from most of the pain she inflicts, the pain does affect her to a small degree, and this makes it uncomfortable for her to use her ability.

She has a sweet personality and she dislikes causing injury, let alone death, preferringa non-lethal solution whenever possible. This can, however, cause problems when she’s in situations where she has to kill. As a physician she swore to do no harm, and she takes her oath very serious, even if it means that she’s the one who ends up injured. Whenever possible she’ll also do her best to treat and save enemy soldiers, even if it means risking to get shot or injured.

Current Relations and Activity:
Until the Apocalypse hit, Natasha was a gifted doctor, treating both humans and mutants in her practice, while not discriminating between the two. Now, however, Natasha is hopelessly lost in a new world, but hopes to join up the resistance preferably sooner than later. Currently she’s not affiliated with anybody.

Please note that her healing touch will normally not cure the mind control affect of Judgment. I figured this was a plausible method to escape from the soldiers that injected her and she won't be able to cure other soldiers.

[edit]
Found some placeholder pictures to go with it, although these might still change if I can find something better.

[edit2]
Fixed the descriptions of her Empathy to be more in line with how I pictured it to be. I also made it clear that she influences emotions of others, but doesn't control them.

Looks pretty awesome, PM coming your way!

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

Crash

Welcome aboard.

Veluux

Thanks everyone, for helping Caitlin with the creation process.

Caitlin, go ahead and make your way over to the OOC and introduce yourself! Feel free to post your character bio in there so everyone else can start getting a feel for her before I get the final version up in the Bio thread.

As always, we're continually looking for new players and characters. Don't be shy!

I am watching you [you]...
From the darkest of shadows...

Caitlin

Quote from: Crash on November 20, 2012, 02:30:24 PM
Welcome aboard.
Lol, I did actually. I had two choices to pick from and I went with LA. :-)

My biography is updated and posted in the OOC thread.

Crash

Crash

Another bump for a very fun game!  Still accepting canon and non-canon characters as far as I know.

Fortune8

Is there a place in this game for non-celestial powered cannon characters, like Moon Knight or Punisher? If so, then I would be interested in playing one of those two mentioned. I have a good base of knowledge about both characters, and would be willing to play whichever one others would want to RP with more.
Love is easier made than kept! - The Chariot

apygoos

IIRC Punisher is a Villain[one of Apocalypse's horseman iirc], but we do not have a Moon Knight, Im sure he would be more than welcomed to the game. As i also recall, Moon Knights powers were gradually written out, making him more of a standard vigilante, unless they changed that.