GM Lounge - Bartenders Answer All Your Questions

Started by HockeyGod, January 02, 2012, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebpohmr

I've only returned to E in the past month or so, and am settling into a few games. After that I will definitely be available to GM/co-GM a game or two!

Muse

Can someone tell me where the appropriate place is for this topic? 

I want to invite Ellliquiy members to share their experiences with 'bridging the gap' between freeform players and system game players. 

I know from my own experience that these two styles of play are more alike than unalike, but I want to ask others to share their experiences. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Muse on April 25, 2014, 01:23:35 AM
Can someone tell me where the appropriate place is for this topic? 

I want to invite Ellliquiy members to share their experiences with 'bridging the gap' between freeform players and system game players. 

I know from my own experience that these two styles of play are more alike than unalike, but I want to ask others to share their experiences.
I'm not sure what you're asking ;).
Is it "freeform players, how did you start using systems"? Or is it "how do you get people that prefer one of those to try the other"? Or is it "how do you use skills from one in the other"?
Because as asked, it could be any of those. But I don't want to answer a question you aren't asking, and if I had to answer all three, I'd write three times less on each :P!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Muse

*Smiles* 

Actualy, my question here is, "If I want to put up a discussion board for this topic, what's the appropriate place for it." 

As to the topic, it's not really any of those so much as, "Are there any experiences you care to share wherein people who preferred free form came to enjoy a system game or vice versa?" 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

I'd say to put it here in the GM's Corner.  Call it Bridging the Cap - Freeform/System.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Muse on April 25, 2014, 10:23:54 AM
*Smiles* 

Actualy, my question here is, "If I want to put up a discussion board for this topic, what's the appropriate place for it." 

As to the topic, it's not really any of those so much as, "Are there any experiences you care to share wherein people who preferred free form came to enjoy a system game or vice versa?"
Yeah, got your question. My answer was "the actual answer would vary according to the what the thread actually is".
I'd say this should go in On Topic, FWIW.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Moraline

*Smiles* 

Hi Muse!

This is a topic that I'd like to follow as well. Always interested in hearing experiences from people.  I think Thufir is correct, placing in the "On Topic" section would probably get the most views and the widest range of responses. It might actually be more suited for the GM Section but what you'll get here is a more narrow set of responses (mostly GM's etc..). In On Topic you should get a bunch of player experiences as well, which may prove actually more valuable in the long run.

I'll withhold my experiences until you have your thread posted.  I'll be looking forward to it.

HockeyGod

*Smiles* 

A thread here is great ;)

Thufir Hawat

Well, open it whereever you wish. Just send me the link after you do, this has potential ;D!
I suspect many people might have some fun stuff to share.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Scylla

So a dark-haired short girl with a nice rack walks into a bar and says, "That's not a joke. Seriously, I just wanted to ask a few questions. Stop laughing! I'm not even blonde! Oh, for the love of-" 

Hello, I'm Jenny.  I've recently GMed a Small Group game to semi-successful conclusion and am now looking deeper into being a better GM for future games.  I have just  a few questions on that topic, which is why I'm here.  *grins*

While I was GMing the much smaller game (5 people with just 73 replies), I became a part of a large one (about 12-14 people).  Seeing that the current GM was having trouble, I asked him if I could Co-GM.  I'm still waiting on his reply, but my hopes are high at least.  I've already made a game map and plan to follow each character throughout their individual stories, changing the map as they move about.  Is there anything I need to do should he take me on as a Co?  Would I be allowed to manipulate his threads with his approval or would he still need to do that? 

Thank you and any help at all is greatly appreciated.  Also a YooHoo, barkeep.  A YooHoo would be greatly appreciated.

HockeyGod

Ebb

Hey Jenny,

Sounds like you've got a good feel for things already. Unfortunately I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for how co-GMing works. Every team needs to come to their own understanding. One GM might feel proprietary ownership over certain NPCs and get really upset if another GM moves them around, while a different GM might be perfectly okay with it. Same goes for setting details, handling player questions, directing plot, resolving social conflicts between players, etc., etc., etc. The only common denominator is that communication is key. If you're comfortable talking with your co-GM instead of making assumptions then you're probably halfway home.

Scylla

Quote from: Ebb on May 02, 2014, 11:36:16 PM
Hey Jenny,

Sounds like you've got a good feel for things already. Unfortunately I don't think there are any hard and fast rules for how co-GMing works. Every team needs to come to their own understanding. One GM might feel proprietary ownership over certain NPCs and get really upset if another GM moves them around, while a different GM might be perfectly okay with it. Same goes for setting details, handling player questions, directing plot, resolving social conflicts between players, etc., etc., etc. The only common denominator is that communication is key. If you're comfortable talking with your co-GM instead of making assumptions then you're probably halfway home.

Well, there's no NPC's or 'plot', really.  It's the Family Resort game, where there's just 14 of us acting out our characters at a resort.  Since my initial post, I've been officially made Co-GM and have handled a few issues already.  The GM isn't able to be around much, so I'm basically acting in his stead when he can't immediately deal with stuff like creating a thread for players and making sure everyone is aware when their turn is up.

Chrystal

*waves at Jen*

Hi babe. Personally I think you've pretty much got things covered. I'm never really sure what a co-GM should do, other than help keep things moving, help with ideas as required, etc... I've never really co-gmed a game that really got going, and I've only had a couple of games where I needed a co-GM.

I have a different question, that might be a bit controversial, and I'm not sure whether this is the place to ask it...

Joining Existing Big Groups.

I can't be the only person on E who finds this intimidating? I have tried twice to join an existing big group and neither time did I do much more than submit a character and post some in the OOC thread. (By the way, I wish to apologise to the respective GMs for this. It's not behaviour I approve of, in others or myself!)

The reasons for the intimidation are as follows (in my opinion):

1) There is an existing story that is on-going. Inserting oneself into it can seem rude.
2) There are at least 1000 posts in the IC threads. That's an awful lot to read through in order to figure out exactly what has gone before....
3) There are existing player dynamics and relationships. Again, inserting a new character into those relationships can feel like one is being rude.
4) When there are a lot of threads in the game it can be difficult to know where to begin.
5) Often the sheer volume of posts that enabled the game to achieve big group status can put people off.

Looking at this from an outsider's point of view, joining an existing big group can feel very much like trying to join a clique. NO! Please don't react to that. I'm not saying that big group games are cliquey, although some might well be, I don't know. What I'm saying is what it feels like from the outside looking in.

How can this be overcome?

Well, the first two are probably the easiest. The GMs need to regularly update a summary post somewhere that gives newcomers a brief synopses of what has gone before and what is currently happening. Point 4 could also be covered in this, by including a summary of which threads people are in and what is happening in them. This is probably a lot of work for the GM, I realise, but as the game has already reached big game status, (s)he doesn't have to count posts anymore, and it could be a once-a-week thing.

Point 5 is probably not so much of a problem with an established game: the initial mad rush where fifty players all posted once a day for three weeks has gone, three quarters of them have dropped out and the remaining twelve players have slowed things down to posting once every few days. But if the game is still in that stage where the shiny hasn't worn off yet, there isn't really much can be done. In some ways it's easier to join a game in this stage because the story is still getting going, the characters are still establishing themselves, and there are lots of characters to interact with. It's just the sheer volume of posts that you have to read each day that can be amazingly off-putting.

Point 3. Ah, this is the biggie.

I honestly don't know how this can be solved. I'm going to generalise, and hope people don't mind.... A lot of people here on E are here because we (and I include myself) are shy. For some this stems from having Asperger's Syndrome, ort some other behavioural disorder. Whatever the cause, we have difficulty relating to people, and and for myself at least, I use role-playing as a form of therapy (I'm not saying this is wise, but it seems to help). The point is, that for a lot of people on this web site, going up to a stranger and saying hello is a major trauma. Doing so in a roleplay is less traumatic, but not by much. The greatest fear is that one posts something to introduce one's character and one is ignored.

The only way this can be avoided is, frankly, by the GM having a character in each scene that will respond to the newcomer's post and bring the character into the group, but again this is major work for the GM.  Obviously if the new player is known to existing players and/or sets up a scene in the OOC first, this helps, but for a shy person to say "Hey, anyone want to RP with me?" is actually quite hard.

Yes, I know we all do that when we post our request threads, but every time I post one, I always have this dread that someone will actually respond to it and I will then have to run another game... Which is counterbalanced by the equal and opposite dread that no-one will respond. I'm lucky in a way that I have such a vivid imagination, and come up with such a vast array of ideas that there is always one that will appeal to someone out there. But at the same time, I find that when I post a new idea and no-one snaps it up, I always feel disappointed.

That, to say this: Saying "Hi" to an established group of people who are writing together and expecting at least one of them to say "Hi" back and invite you to join them in a sexual scene... that is something I for one find majorly difficult.

The above are my thoughts. I hope I've not offended anyone by expressing them? If I have, I apologise. But I would like to know if people can come up with better ways to make existing big groups more accessible.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Ebb

On joining big group games already in progress...

You ain't just whistling Dixie, Chrystal. That's a tough one. And it can be frustrating for those running the games, too, because after you've had some player dropoff and you go out on that recruiting binge again it can be kind of demoralizing to not get too many applicants, in part because they might be intimidated by how to fit themselves into this giant running machine.

One trick I've learned from running larps (for this discussion, consider this as big group games run in person instead of a forum) is to make sure that every entering new character is plot-attractive in at least a couple of ways. That doesn't necessarily mean powerful, it just means that new characters should have built-in reasons why established characters will want to seek them out and interact with them. Then advertise this broadly, or seed the notion with some of your better existing players. It's one thing to say "there are new people hanging around like wallflowers -- go talk to them!" It's a different thing, and much more effective, to say "rumor has it that _that_ person right over there has this thing you need."

Plot-attractive could be lots of things. Some examples:
- Person X has key information related to a mystery that Person Y is trying to figure out.
- Person X has some unique ability that will be of great use in going up against Person Z, and person Z's enemies know it.
- Person X has a special relationship with some long-standing NPC that people are already interested in.
- Person X is part of a small club, secret society, association, etc. that other existing PCs belong to.
- Person X is related to, or works for, or employs, or is an ex-lover of, or... (etc., etc.) Person Z, who is an established and active player. (Obviously this gets discussed with Person Z first).

The key here is to pull the new person in rather than just wind them up and drop them into the situation. Work up how they're going to be tied in and clear it with the affected PCs before the new person even walks on stage. ("Hey, what would you think about having a long-lost sister? Hey, remember that jewel thief from your background who was always one step ahead of you -- how would you like it if somebody played them? Hey, the Hellfire Club only has two members left now since  the last player drop -- would it be okay if another member has been in the background up until now and decides to step into the spotlight?")

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Ebb on May 02, 2014, 11:36:16 PM
Hey Jenny,

This, unless you're doing a system that's got multiple GMs by default. I have yet to see one being played on E., though, so what Ebb said.
Maybe I should start it myself ;).

Quote from: Ebb on May 06, 2014, 06:00:45 PM

You ain't just whistling Dixie, Chrystal. That's a tough one. And it can be frustrating for those running the games, too, because after you've had some player dropoff and you go out on that recruiting binge again it can be kind of demoralizing to not get too many applicants, in part because they might be intimidated by how to fit themselves into this giant running machine.

One trick I've learned from running larps (for this discussion, consider this as big group games run in person instead of a forum) is to make sure that every entering new character is plot-attractive in at least a couple of ways. That doesn't necessarily mean powerful, it just means that new characters should have built-in reasons why established characters will want to seek them out and interact with them. Then advertise this broadly, or seed the notion with some of your better existing players. It's one thing to say "there are new people hanging around like wallflowers -- go talk to them!" It's a different thing, and much more effective, to say "rumor has it that _that_ person right over there has this thing you need."

- Person X has key information related to a mystery that Person Y is trying to figure out.
- Person X has some unique ability that will be of great use in going up against Person Z, and person Z's enemies know it.
- Person X has a special relationship with some long-standing NPC that people are already interested in.
- Person X is part of a small club, secret society, association, etc. that other existing PCs belong to.
- Person X is related to, or works for, or employs, or is an ex-lover of, or... (etc., etc.) Person Z, who is an established and active player. (Obviously this gets discussed with Person Z first).

The key here is to pull the new person in rather than just wind them up and drop them into the situation. Work up how they're going to be tied in and clear it with the affected PCs before the new person even walks on stage. ("Hey, what would you think about having a long-lost sister? Hey, remember that jewel thief from your background who was always one step ahead of you -- how would you like it if somebody played them? Hey, the Hellfire Club only has two members left now since  the last player drop -- would it be okay if another member has been in the background up until now and decides to step into the spotlight?")
What Ebb said...is there echo here ;D?
Also, it really helps if your game has domains, clubs, clans, organisations or agencies that extend across vast regions. Someone who steps up might well be from said organisation, and introducing them is seamless.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Thanks, Ebb, and Thufir

I actually like that idea. If I ever get a big group, I will be sure to make that my policy.

In the mean time, next time I see a big group I feel like joining, I shall have a chat with the GM about what sort of character I should create that would be attractive in one or more of the ways mentioned above, and make the other players want to interact with her...

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Moraline

Quote from: Ebb on May 06, 2014, 06:00:45 PM

I know, I'm late to the party but those are some very wise words and something that's very easy to overlook when drawing in new players.

Some of those things can work extra well if the GM allows the players to play out some history(even if just a single short scene) via the new person and one or more of the established characters. They can do this in a separate thread, via PM's, or whatever. It's a nice way to ease the person into the group.  Just like face to face socializing, it's easier to meet the group when you already know at least one of them.

Ebb

Quote from: Moraline on May 10, 2014, 02:16:33 PM
I know, I'm late to the party but those are some very wise words and something that's very easy to overlook when drawing in new players.

Some of those things can work extra well if the GM allows the players to play out some history(even if just a single short scene) via the new person and one or more of the established characters. They can do this in a separate thread, via PM's, or whatever. It's a nice way to ease the person into the group.  Just like face to face socializing, it's easier to meet the group when you already know at least one of them.

Oh, excellent suggestion. Flashback scenes are a great way to put a new character tie "on camera" so that you're showing and not just telling. And they're much easier to manage on a forum than in a live game.

Zillah

Question on recruiting for a group RP ...

What's the proper etiquette on E for selecting/allowing players into a game idea you've posted in the Group Roleplays Wanted section? Should it be first come, first served to anyone who meets the criteria listed in the recruiting post? Or can a GM be more selective (maybe by saying "submit application via PM", or something like that?)

I ask because in the few times I've tried recruiting for Group RPs before, I often wind up with applicants with whom I know there might be issues. Not many, but I always get one or two who I would prefer not to be in my RP ... and I don't really have a good reason apart from my thinking "this probably isn't going to work out". (And when I let them in against my better judgment, it hasn't worked out.)

I've searched elsewhere on E for rules or guidelines regarding recruitment for group RPs, but couldn't find anything. That's why I'm here. :)

Any advice that experienced GMs could provide would definitely be appreciated on this - thanks!

Thufir Hawat

There aren't rules, because it's not something the forum should control.
Generally, people would expect that posting first would give them an advantage, all things considered.
Some GMs say explicitly "this isn't a first come-first served game, feel free to apply no matter how many people have posted". I think Vekseid is one of them, or at least was, last I read his Exalted recruitment thread... so obviously you can be more selective. On top of everything, it might net you more characters to choose from.
Whether the character applications are sent via PM, or posted, probably has no bearing on this. The point is, if you had forgotten to do so, just add in the first post "this isn't a first come-first served game" and put it in bold. Also state it in the next post you make immediately after changing the first post (Of course this doesn't apply if you haven't posted a thread yet - you just add it to the draft of your first post).

In short, feel free to deny them access. You don't need to explain why, either, at least in my personal opinion. That's not anything I have observed, though, so take the last part with as big a saltgrain as you wish!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Hmm

I have in the past either told a player, "sorry, I don't think this game is right for you" (note that I have phrased it that way, not the other way around which could be taken as insulting) or in a couple of cases ignored applications.

Also, (and this is actually a good example) a friend of mine is running a group game - not the first she's run, but the first in a long time, and asking me for advice. The game is an all-girl game involving tentacles and stuff...

A lady asked to join, sent in a character sheet that was NOT according to the character sheet code my friend had posted. The aplican's o/os indicated she was straight. She had clearly not read the O/P in the recruitment thread.

In those circumstances the GM has every right to say no. My usual policy in such circumstances, (and this was my advice to my friend and what she did) is to PM the player, explain the difficulty (in this case the character sheet, the fact that it is an all-girl group and there will be no male characters - there was one other thing as well that I forget), and suggest that it might be a better use of their time looking elsewhere.

Z, in your case, I think you're saying you have no specific complaints against a player or character, just a bad feeling? I would probably say something like "I'm really sorry, but I have very mixed feelings about approving your character for this game. It's nothing I can put my finger on, but I just feel it won't fit", or words to that effect. Assuming they've sent a character sheet, of course.

That's my 2p.

Zillah

Quote from: Chrystal on June 06, 2014, 04:32:09 AM

Z, in your case, I think you're saying you have no specific complaints against a player or character, just a bad feeling? I would probably say something like "I'm really sorry, but I have very mixed feelings about approving your character for this game. It's nothing I can put my finger on, but I just feel it won't fit", or words to that effect. Assuming they've sent a character sheet, of course.

More this. The player meets all the criteria for a RP, and there's technically nothing wrong with their character sheet, but you feel like they're not going to be a good fit for the RP anyway. And it's less a feeling sometimes than just experience - I might've seen the player applying to be in a group be disruptive (whether intentionally or unintentionally) before, or know that there's most likely going to be personality conflicts between that player and others who've already joined the RP.

I've dealt with a lot of players for my games (either Group or 1-on-1) who seem to have the expectation of "first come first served) - enough so that I was wondering if I'd overlooked a recruiting rule!

Thanks for the feedback.

vin26m

Quote from: Zillah on June 05, 2014, 08:54:49 PM
Question on recruiting for a group RP ...

What's the proper etiquette on E for selecting/allowing players into a game idea you've posted in the Group Roleplays Wanted section? Should it be first come, first served to anyone who meets the criteria listed in the recruiting post? Or can a GM be more selective (maybe by saying "submit application via PM", or something like that?)

I ask because in the few times I've tried recruiting for Group RPs before, I often wind up with applicants with whom I know there might be issues. Not many, but I always get one or two who I would prefer not to be in my RP ... and I don't really have a good reason apart from my thinking "this probably isn't going to work out". (And when I let them in against my better judgment, it hasn't worked out.)

I've searched elsewhere on E for rules or guidelines regarding recruitment for group RPs, but couldn't find anything. That's why I'm here. :)

Any advice that experienced GMs could provide would definitely be appreciated on this - thanks!

When it comes to applicants, think of a group game as a solo game with more people.  Play with whom you want, and give everyone else the "Thanks for applying, but I'm going to have to pass.  Happy gaming!" message.  You don't owe anyone a reason.  You don't even have to have a reason.

For some group games, player acceptance can be more casual if there's less investment by the GM and depending on the style of play.  For other group games, chemistry is very important and can make or break a game.  If the GM is not having fun, the GM just won't be motivated to run a good game.

In the end, we're all grown-ups.  We can take rejection.