GM Lounge - Bartenders Answer All Your Questions

Started by HockeyGod, January 02, 2012, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thufir Hawat

The first part is easy, anyone can report a thread as not belonging to the forum. Just write to any mod, or even use the report function.

Quote from: Faustus on February 01, 2014, 08:04:47 PM
So. . . My own question.

And this situation is. . . .interesting. . . .so we'll see the answer.

Placed beneathe here for the time.

So, I am a player at a dying Group Game, mostly due to absence on the GMs part. They seem to have pretty much abandoned the game, if not the site for the time, and the players are coming together to tend to it.

And while I'm at it. . . What do you DO when the GM just. . leaves? With no co-GM to turn to, what do the players do?

Thanks for the answers!
That's a bit trickier, but here's my take of it.
First, talk to the GM and clear it whether they're intending to continue, or maybe need to slow down they response rate. This has happened to me as well.
If they are planning a slowdown, you can decide whether you're fine with that, and if not, discuss with the GM and other players.
If they're leaving at least for the time being, or can't even reply to your questions, you can decide whether you want the game to continue. In that case, either have a player step up and take the GM role, or start a "group looking for GM to take over" thread in the group games subforum ;D.
Otherwise, your other options would be to transition it to a GMless setup, or leave the game to wither and die. I've taken games over before...
Granted, it wasn't due to a GM being absent. The group voted them out, and since we had those characters already, I suggested it would be a waste to stop playing >:)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

HockeyGod

The group could also start a new game. You might have to check with staff regarding the policies around this.

Chrystal

Me again...

Sorry to bring this back up, but I still have issues with the limit on number of threads is a "small group" game.

So, take my latest group, that is slowly starting, I hope.

When I started it I had ten players including myself. That's 20 thread, right?

Three allocated on OOC stuff, leaves 17. I need a few for the various public IC threads, too. I made two mistakes, however: 1) Saying that characters could have private threads; and 2) allowing two characters per player! Do the maths..., if every player has two characters and every character has a private thread, that's all your threads gone!

Mostly, this has been solved by not every player wanting two characters, and by a lot of characters sharing.

However, it's tight. I already had one player drop out, who had a single character, thus removing one of my potentially spare threads. All it would take would be for another few players with only one character dropping out, for me to possibly go over the limit when he rest of the players request their threads.

I think there is an important lesson here: You can have multiple characters per player OR private threads for characters, but NOT BOTH!

My solution is to place an additional restriction, that doesn't affect any existing players because they have all been really co-operative. If you want two characters, at least one of them, and preferably both, must share with another character.

I thought I'd share that, as a warning to others. If anyone has a better solution or has encountered a similar problem, I'd be interested to hear it.

Now my other question regarding the same game:

I've had four people express an interest but not do anything about it. This is normal, I know. But on the off chance they had simply forgotten, I send themalla polite PM asking if hey were still interested. One came back and said no. Okay, no problem. Two haven't replied, which normally would be no problem, except that one of them had agreed to share with another player's second character and was supposed to have the char sheet submitted by yesterday. The forth player replied saying they were working on a character sheet.

The question is, how often, if at all, does one chase a player who has promised to join a game? Chasing people who haven't posted is one thing, but chasing someone who hasn't officially joined? Is that okay?

I'm not sure. I think if someone were to chase me for a character I'd probably be okay with it, and would appreciate the reminder, or I would just apologise and say sorry, I changed my mind. But I'm weird!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Ember Star

That's why I don't allow private home threads in my groups. But it's really up to the management of the GM.

For the last part, my generally rule is this; I remind once then I ignore. If they don't reply in one week, they're probably not interested. I might remind a second time one week after IF they've been online. If they haven't logged in, then a second reminded is pointless. If they have, I give them another week after the second reminder. After that, I figure they lost interest and aren't joining and are just too lame to say so. Obviously, this can be adjusted on a player by player basis
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Chrystal on February 17, 2014, 04:13:37 PM
Me again...

Sorry to bring this back up, but I still have issues with the limit on number of threads is a "small group" game.

So, take my latest group, that is slowly starting, I hope.

When I started it I had ten players including myself. That's 20 thread, right?

Three allocated on OOC stuff, leaves 17. I need a few for the various public IC threads, too. I made two mistakes, however: 1) Saying that characters could have private threads; and 2) allowing two characters per player! Do the maths..., if every player has two characters and every character has a private thread, that's all your threads gone!

Mostly, this has been solved by not every player wanting two characters, and by a lot of characters sharing.

However, it's tight. I already had one player drop out, who had a single character, thus removing one of my potentially spare threads. All it would take would be for another few players with only one character dropping out, for me to possibly go over the limit when he rest of the players request their threads.

I think there is an important lesson here: You can have multiple characters per player OR private threads for characters, but NOT BOTH!

My solution is to place an additional restriction, that doesn't affect any existing players because they have all been really co-operative. If you want two characters, at least one of them, and preferably both, must share with another character.

I thought I'd share that, as a warning to others. If anyone has a better solution or has encountered a similar problem, I'd be interested to hear it.

Now my other question regarding the same game:

I've had four people express an interest but not do anything about it. This is normal, I know. But on the off chance they had simply forgotten, I send themalla polite PM asking if hey were still interested. One came back and said no. Okay, no problem. Two haven't replied, which normally would be no problem, except that one of them had agreed to share with another player's second character and was supposed to have the char sheet submitted by yesterday. The forth player replied saying they were working on a character sheet.

The question is, how often, if at all, does one chase a player who has promised to join a game? Chasing people who haven't posted is one thing, but chasing someone who hasn't officially joined? Is that okay?

I'm not sure. I think if someone were to chase me for a character I'd probably be okay with it, and would appreciate the reminder, or I would just apologise and say sorry, I changed my mind. But I'm weird!
Make it clear that the private threads allowed are per player, not per character.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on February 18, 2014, 04:38:53 AM
Make it clear that the private threads allowed are per player, not per character.

As a general rule that is probably the best answer.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

HockeyGod

I think that if you have to chase someone, chances are they will at best have sporadic posting which could compromise the game itself.

Unfortunately the thread maximum rule is a difficult one. Are you having the problem even if you archive unused threads from old characters?

Chrystal

Quote from: alxnjsh on February 18, 2014, 09:15:46 AM
I think that if you have to chase someone, chances are they will at best have sporadic posting which could compromise the game itself.

That is actually a good point. I'm not normally too worried about chasing people, but in this instance I was worried about loosing players, and thus threads!

QuoteUnfortunately the thread maximum rule is a difficult one. Are you having the problem even if you archive unused threads from old characters?

I'm at 11 players now, which gives 22 threads. I don't have any old ones to archive yet, as things have only just got going. I have 3 OOC threads, (not counting the request thread, which doesn't count as it's in the GRPs Wanted forum). So far I've opened the three main "public" threads, but I have up to five more that I could create.

Private threads I've got 4 open and about to create three more. So far so good! 13 taken and 9 left...

If I keep attracting new players, we should be okay.

Oh and if I keep attracting new players, watch out for a request going up in the "Co-GMs wanted" thread! If anyone wants to volunteer in advance of that, I'll give due consideration!

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Chrystal on February 18, 2014, 06:38:40 AM
As a general rule that is probably the best answer.
When you have a general rule, what would you use ad hoc rules for :P?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on February 18, 2014, 01:02:15 PM
When you have a general rule, what would you use ad hoc rules for :P?

Generally speaking, a general rule works in general situations where generally everything is within generalised parameters. Of course that is something of a generalisation.

However, the majority of situations have a kernel of scenarios where the rules are different. Ad hoc rules cover specific situations where the general rules do not apply, for whatever reason, and I couldn't come up with puns for Captain or Lieutenant.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Chrystal on February 18, 2014, 02:49:00 PM
Generally speaking, a general rule works in general situations where generally everything is within generalised parameters. Of course that is something of a generalisation.
;D

Quote from: Chrystal on February 18, 2014, 02:49:00 PM
However, the majority of situations have a kernel of scenarios where the rules are different. Ad hoc rules cover specific situations where the general rules do not apply, for whatever reason, and I couldn't come up with puns for Captain or Lieutenant.
Well, it's my experience that they still apply, just in a somewhat different form.
Let's start with learning what are the specifics. So, what makes the situation in your game different :P?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on February 19, 2014, 01:23:02 AM
Let's start with learning what are the specifics. So, what makes the situation in your game different :P?

I agree that general rules do apply regardless, like, for example, which side of the road you drive on. However there are specific cases to that rule, which change it. For example, when overtaking, when passing a stationary vehicle or other obstruction in the road, when directed to do so by a uniformed official, or in order to prevent an accident! (Incidentally, any rule in the UK highway code can be legally broken if your reason for doing so was "to prevent an accident").

So, the specific circumstances I have are that players are creating characters who are vacationing on a naturist camp site. Each character will be bringing their own accommodation with them - either a tent, a motorhome/RV or a caravan/trailer. Having said that private threads are available, and that players can have two characters, I now cannot go back on either.

So far so good, general rule still applies.

However, I also already stated that each private thread represents a "pitch" - that is, an allotted area of the camp ground for an individual or group to set up their tent or park their wagon in. Again, I cannot, now, change this.

To say that each player may have only one private thread, actually doesn't work too well, because two different players are sharing the tent that is "in" that thread. Which of them "owns" that thread? Which of them may have another thread for their second character, which may be sharing with a character created by a third player?

The solution I came up with, that a player may have one character on its own in a private thread, but if they wish a second character then one or both must share accommodation, actually seems to be working so far.

Chrystal

And, the problem has, due to that rule and the fact that enough players on;ly want one character, gone away on it's own.

It has, however, left me with another one.

Well, yes, I now have 36 threads available to the game. In case you don't feel like doing the maths, that's 18 players including me.

HELP?

I've got an add up for a co-GM, but I don't know if anyone even looks at that thread anymore? I also changed the heading of the recruitment thread to ask for a Co-GM.

I really could use some help on this one. If it gets moving - if everyone who is joining starts posting - then it could go "big game" quite quickly, but that will only happen if I can keep it going, and that is going to quickly become a headache if I don't get some help....

So, if anyone would like to assist, please shoot me a PM?

Chrystal

*Watches the tumbleweed roll past*

Sooooo. Is anyone still here?

Thufir Hawat

Chrystal, you know or at least suspect I've got the thread bookmarked, right :P?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Sure, Thuf.

I actually use the "Show new replies to your posts" link, top right, to see what's going on, so if anyone posts here I will see it, having posed once.

I just thought I'd see if I could prompt some activity...

Maybe open a controversial subject for discussion, something like that?

Thufir Hawat

Well, let me stir it instead >:)!
It looks like I might be starting some new RP. Surprise, surprise, it's a martial arts related one :P!
*drumrollwhilenobodyseemsactuallysurprised*
So far, I've got the following.
It's going to be a near-future setting. Think flying cars and instant mobile internet connection with mystic martial artists waging duels in the background.
What other interesting elements can you suggest me that would fit such a setting? Scenes that are in-genre, details on tech that's likely to be developed, new organisations that might emerge, twists on antagonists and protagonists, entertainment, impact on relationships, impact on society, locations that are likely to have changed. Anything you suggest might be useful ;D!
So, go ahead, suggest me what you would find depressing, cool, or simply interesting in such a setting! To clarify, I'm not GMing it, but I've got my ways to suggest details.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

Okay, if you want a real-life near-future technology that is actually happening but has yet to be perfected, go for the cranial implant biochip.

It's something I include in all my cyberpunk-style rps. The "Next Big Thing", the next major technological advance, is biotechnology. Replacement limbs, that look exactly like the real thing, controlled from a microprocessor attached to the person's brain. This technology is already under development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnN1nWuaTY4

Eventually, as the guy in that video says, the technology will be used by the military. It will then, eventually, replace the mobile phone, in the same way that the phone is currently replacing the desk-top computer! You will be able to access the internet just by thinking about it, you will be able to transmit your thoughts via text, you will have all the processing power of s spreadsheet, word processor, database, etc. actually inside your head.

And of course this comes at a price. If you can transmit, you can also recieve, you can down-load files into your brain - which could contain viruses, which could kill, leave people in comas, or even turn them into puppets, being controlled remotely...

Obviously, there would be safeguards - but as with the war against computer viruses, so the same thing would happen with "brain-worms" - The hackers create nastier worms even as the anti-virus companies counter them.

Just a suggestion.

Thufir Hawat

Bwahahaha, Chrystal, I think I've got the most awesome idea that I'm not going to use... >:)
Imagine this game, except the mystical martial artists? They're the programs. You just imagine them like this.
The virus and the firewall meeting in wuxia duel over your brain. For a twist, the virus might be trying to break someone else's control over your brain!
"Virus, fear my Pressure Points Medicine attack which has healed more viruses I care to count!"
"Firewall warrior, meet my Frozen Chi and weep as I douse your flames in the coldness of winter!"
"Hah! I'm using the Wood Approach instead of Fire, not the Fire as you expected."
"But I attacked you with Metal, and my words were part of the misdirection!"
Cue combat music (and the sound of dice rolling, in my case :P).
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Chrystal

A few years back, Amazon and I wrote a story called "The Hacker's Worst Nightmare" (this was back when Amz was female), and in that story our two characters had a battle inside my character's brain. It was actually great fun to write.

The story is in Completed tales, if you're interested.

HairyHeretic

I remember coming across a character in a cyberpunk setting years ago, who had cybernetic eyes (amongst other parts). Unfortunately because he hadn't kept his anti-malware software up to date, he'd been compromised, and had a constant stream of spam scrolling across his vision. :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chrystal

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 07, 2014, 04:14:37 PM
I remember coming across a character in a cyberpunk setting years ago, who had cybernetic eyes (amongst other parts). Unfortunately because he hadn't kept his anti-malware software up to date, he'd been compromised, and had a constant stream of spam scrolling across his vision. :)

Chrystal

King Serperior

I can't really focus on GMing at the moment due to my graduation coming closer in about 4 weeks, but.....I have been somewhat discouraged after my first attempt to GM a game of my creation on another site crashed and burned.  I have recently decided to reopen the game (found here) on E.  It's a semi-futuristic game with a lot of post-apocalyptic feeling in it. 

The basis of it is that a major global war has wiped out the world as we know it.  Now, many hundreds of years later, society has rebuilt itself into three supernations, all three at the others' necks.  There is a secret organization that is working to create the last war and completely wipe out humanity in order to rebuild a perfect utopia in their own image.  Only one small group who lay outside their influence and the influences of the supernations even has a ghost of a chance to prevent this from happening.

I just would like some advice on where to proceed from there.  Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated  :<

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Chrystal on April 06, 2014, 02:20:39 PM
*Watches the tumbleweed roll past*

Sooooo. Is anyone still here?

Oh yes, I'm here too ;) Just busy as of late. I need to get back into E a bit more than I have been!