The 7 Keys to the Internet

Started by Wolfy, July 29, 2010, 02:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-07/order-seven-cyber-guardians-around-world-now-hold-keys-internet

Apparently, seven people from around the world were chosen, and each given a key card that contains a part of the code to restart the internet, in case it has to be severed do to a cyber attack.

....Does this sound like a Movie-plot to anyone else? o-o

I assure you that this is real, however..very, very real. o-o

Lithos

Umm, restarting the root DNS servers is not restarting internet. Still, someone has had good fun deciding to make movie cliche reality!
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Wolfy

Will

If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Noelle

Paladin

Quote from: Lithos on July 29, 2010, 03:22:59 PM
Umm, restarting the root DNS servers is not restarting internet. Still, someone has had good fun deciding to make movie cliche reality!

Its the first step to restarting the net. But yes there are more.

OldSchoolGamer

But before they can use their keys, they must first defeat the keymaster and confront the evil god Zuul.

Sabby

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/07/29/seven-people-hold-keys-internet-literally#comments

Quote from: GamePoliticsIn the event a cyber attack cripples the World Wide Web, seven members of a “chain of trust” have been given the responsibility of restarting the Internet, with each individual armed with a key.

The key holders include one member from each of the following countries: Britain, the U.S., Trinidad and Tobago, Canada, China, Burkina Faso and the Czech Republic.

According to PopSci.com, five of the seven would need to gather at a U.S. base with their keys in order to restart the Internet.

PopSci further described the keys:

The keys are actually smartcards that each contain parts of the DNSSEC root key, which could be thought of as the master key to the whole scheme. But it is interesting to know that there is a group of individuals out there that hold actual, physical keys that would reboot the Internet as we know it.

A video on the CommunityDNS website shows the keys and provides more background information on how they function. CDNS CEO Paul Kane was appointed by ICANN as one of the seven individuals, dubbed Trusted Community Representatives (TCR).

There was more then a few commenters noticing how 'video gamey' this is all sounds. Fictional titles like The Legend of Zelda and the Seven Keys to the Internet came up, but this one had me holding my sides...

Quote from: Austin Stevens, Commenter on GamePoliticsBut they were all of them, deceived, for another key was made...

Quote from: Mechatama31, Commenter on GamepoliticsIsn't that precious...  ;)

Revolverman

these 7 are going to turn into demons, or have their life force drained to fuel demons.

Will

And then a plucky hero with no parents and a hand-me-down sword will have to defeat each one of them to bring the keys together and return the world from the dark ages.

- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Will on July 31, 2010, 09:41:20 PM
And then a plucky hero with no parents and a hand-me-down sword will have to defeat each one of them to bring the keys together and return the world from the dark ages.

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Will

- Jack Kerouac

Saerrael

Vekseid

I have to wonder if losing the root key entirely is that much less likely than someone stealing it. If it gets stolen, the root servers need to be re-signed regardless, and these seven are suddenly redundant. If anything I'd say it makes the risk of having the root key stolen that much higher.

Revolverman

This is what happens when you let people who have no idea how something works, run it.

Dizzi

Question.  If there are seven keys, each one has part of what is needed to reboot everything, and only five are needed...

How do they decide what five?  Are two of the keys actually blank?  Or is it like

key one has piece 1 and 5
key two has 2 and 4
key three has piece 3 and 5
key four has piece 4 and 3
key five has piece 1 and 2
key six has piece 4 and 5
key seven has piece 3 and 2

Meaning that the combonations of jeys is greater (1,2,3,4,6 - 2,5,3,6,1 etc etc )

Oniya

They'd have to break it up so that any group of 5 would have the necessary parts, but no group of less than 5 would have them all.

I'm going to go look at the bunny until I stop trying to figure out the 'perfect set' of combinations.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

If you know part of a key, you can crack the rest of it that much easier, since a great deal of the search space is reduced. I'm guessing the military bases also have 1/8th of the key, to make it nice and even, and they just need five to make it easy (for the computing power of the US Government) to crack.

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.