Yahoo! removing access for 3rd party YIM clients August 5

Started by MTalos, July 20, 2016, 10:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTalos

Didn't see this mentioned elsewhere, but as someone who uses E to find people for Off-Forum roleplay, and noticing the YIM is the client of choice, I thought this might be relevant to a few people.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/10/goodbye-old-yahoo-messenger/

The quick summary is Yahoo! is shutting down the servers that allow non-Yahoo! clients like Trillian and Pidgin to access their services. After August 5, the only option is to use the official Yahoo! messenger. There is no desktop application currently, so there are only the phone apps. The web version doesn't have a buddy list, and doesn't support online status.

Anyway, wanted to give anyone who cares a heads up.

Beguile's Mistress

You might want to take a look at the following from Yahoo which is the source. :-)

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN26860.html

somanycharacters

This officially took place today.  There is a windows app now at the link here but it does not support online status - instead everything is set up so that you see your most recent conversations, not whether they are actually online.  There also does not appear to be a place to put your own status to let people know when you are around, so it feels like the only way to SEE if someone is around is to message them and ask.

gaggedLouise

Ah, okay, it's bad when a software that many people use is retired. I had heard about this a few weeks back but thought the intention was that desktop YIM on all kinds of computers and tablets would be put out of function too: I sometimes use YIM from the pc. But I just logged on and it seems to be working fine.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Mathim

If my off-site RP partners weren't so flaky it might bother me more but I can live without YIM.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).