What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 01, 2011, 09:06:01 AM
Eh, Bloodlines is about as accurate to the source material as you can realistically hope for. Small concessions are expected, like being able to kill a vampire with a gun, which I understand is near impossible in most cases... I just hated that that 'concession' contradicted so blatantly. The three Sabbat even brought it up xD

One gets shot in the head, growls, the three turn to see the shooter, and completely disregard the fact he's holding a gun. "What are ya guna do? SHOOT us?" they spoke like that had as much weight to it as being threatened by cotton balls, but backed right off when they saw he had a grenade.

The scene was fine. It established guns weren't effective, but Sabbat aren't invincible and won't throw down without favourable odds. But then, just to ruin the entire scene, one runs back, gets the gun jammed into his gut, shot once, flies through the air, lands on the road and immediately immolates into dust.
In terms of source material Stoker writes in Dracula that a vampire can be slain with a "blessed" bullet. I assume that means by a priest. I have always argued that if vampires are hurt by silver that your silver bullets could preform double duty.

So, all the bullets in this game are blessed and they didn't bother telling anyone.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Uhm... this isn't Stoker. This is Vampire: The Masquerade.

Hemingway

According to what is actually said in Bloodlines, vampires' internal organs are all atrophied, so there's no reason. But it's Nines Rodriguez, man. He's cool. And that's why. It's just a game, you know? Aside from that, Jack does make it clear that bullets do hurt vampires, it just takes more to kill them. It's not enough to just nick the heart, or anything like that. It's conceivable that Nines severed the spinal cord of the other guy, or something like that. I imagine that would hurt. I wouldn't think too hard about it, though. Not that I expect you not to.

Have you played it before, though? If not, first: I hope you patched it with either the True or Unofficial patch. It's basically unplayable without them. With them ( I've only ever used the Unofficial patch ), it's ... easily one of my favorite games ever.

Secondly, well ... enjoy!

Edit: Also, to the other suggestions ... Masquerade's vampires aren't really vulnerable to garlic. Staking doesn't kill them ( just paralyzes them ). Crucifixes aren't dangerous by themselves, either, as I understand it. Strong faith can repel vampires, however.

Sabby

I played it years ago unpatched, never finished it, and it was on a system that couldn't handle it :P constantly crashed and trying to do anything other then stand perfectly still in a hub area was like watching a Power Point presentation.

And yeah, I question a lot of stuff, but I only ever think when whats in front of me messes up, I never hold it to anything outside of the game. Comes from being a Power Rangers fan, you have to put the whole thing in a little reality bubble and not bring anything else into that bubble. Laws of physics are not included inside of this bubble, but what is inside of it will be tangible or recieve my ponderous blogging. Very theraputic. I think.

And inside of this bubble, I see a bullet to the temple doing no damage and one to the stomach being fatal. Of course my mind is going to race with hows and whys, fully knowing that there may be zero answers besides whats already been said, 'It's Nine Rodrigez and he's cool'. Its just how I am xD I ask myself questions when I don't actually want answers.

Oniya

Hadn't thought about the possibility of severing the spinal cord.  I'm not sure that would cause immolation, but it would surely put a crimp in their day.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Bursting into flames and turning to ash is just how vampires die in the game, regardless of what kills them.

That said, I forgot to mention that flames do hurt them, a lot. Sunlight, too.

Oniya

I was just saying that it still might not have been fatal at all - the cord would have been severed at maybe the mid-back if you angled the gun up.  You'd have a paraplegic vampire (until and unless the spinal cord regenerated), but if you don't have to worry about blood-loss or peritonitis, that's pretty survivable.

Don't mind me - my brain is fixating on strange things.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

I've always loved the idea of things like vampires or wizards, very powerful and organized forces that are insanely old, slowly being outdone by the modern age. There's a guy in the game who has a sawn off shotgun with Dragons Breath rounds for whenever he needs to go through Sabbat territory, and I just thought to myself that if thats how a simple weapons dealer/thrall operates, then any kind of order or even a with-the-times mercenary group could be a huge threat to the vampires, and they're bloody right to enforce their secrecy laws.

Hemingway

I tried the HAWX 2 demo while waiting for Bastion - a cute little arcade game that I hope will drag me out of the pit I find myself in - and it made me wonder ... just how many times, in Tom Clancy games and games in general, have Russian separatists or rogue elements of the Russian army been the antagonists of games? I mean, for a while it seemed like Russians would be replaced by rogue PMCs or Middle-Eastern insurgents ... but after Modern Warfare and Bad Company 2, it seems like Russians are making a return. Or rather, Russian separatists. And it's always been like that in the crazed cold war world of Tom Clancy.

Sabby

That's because Nazi's have gotten old and lost their marketable appeal, and Al Queada Terrorists are still too hot out the oven, while North Korea is... North Korea. Russia is a no brainer for a new villain, but it's not the only choice. I personally loved the idea of Venezeula in Mercenaries 2, but what I'm itching for is a Native Canadian invasion of Canada, with mounted mountain goats and tank igloos. Now THATS novel and refreshing.

Hemingway

I'm still waiting for the gritty realistic shooter where war breaks out between Norway ( the protagonists, obviously ) and Sweden.

But, come on! Nazis are fairly limited, in that they don't really make sense outside of WW2 or alternate history settings. And WW2 games are not that popular nowadays, at least from the developer side. We've been fighting insurgents for a few years now, despite ( or perhaps because ) there are two wars going on in Insurgencystan. Or wherever insurgents come from. Surely insurgents are a distinct ethnic group? Anyway. Why would they disappear now? Nothing has happened! Why are Russians making a return now? Whyyy?

Wyrd

Quote from: Sabby on September 01, 2011, 03:52:06 PM
That's because Nazi's have gotten old and lost their marketable appeal, and Al Queada Terrorists are still too hot out the oven, while North Korea is... North Korea. Russia is a no brainer for a new villain, but it's not the only choice. I personally loved the idea of Venezeula in Mercenaries 2, but what I'm itching for is a Native Canadian invasion of Canada, with mounted mountain goats and tank igloos. Now THATS novel and refreshing.

This post actually gave me a mild stroke
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on September 01, 2011, 04:39:47 PM
This post actually gave me a mild stroke
Which part? The marginalization of serious evil forces and forces who could start WWIII, or the whole thing about warlike goat-riding igloo=tanking Canadians?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 01, 2011, 06:01:14 PM
Needs bear cavalry.  ;D
Bad idea, what if the all go grizzly all of a sudden? That's like smoking in your own powder magazine. :|
Moose cavalry. Much safer, more Canadian.

Wyrd

currently revisiting Fallout 1, I'm now fully reilizing how stupid it is to structure and design a game to be like a DnD table top. What were the developers thinking?
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Hemingway

Bastion is a pretty good game. It has the most awesome narration, it has I think ten weapons that can be upgraded, great gameplay .. and it's an arcade/indie game, so it's cheap!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on September 02, 2011, 02:35:49 AM
currently revisiting Fallout 1, I'm now fully reilizing how stupid it is to structure and design a game to be like a DnD table top. What were the developers thinking?
I really don't think they hold up all that well, especially the first one. I've already said my piece on that. :)

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Thats what the developers were thinking during playtesting.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on September 02, 2011, 08:32:35 AM
Thats what the developers were thinking during playtesting.

In other words, not much, and not about writing a good game.

Hemingway

What are you talking about - Fallout is a fantastic game. The original, too. It's biggest problems, as far as I'm concerned, is the time limit ( which is removed in a patch - at least the hidden one ), and the fact it's not as streamlined as newer games. It's still a groundbreaking game, though, and I personally think it has aged pretty well. I'd play them again any day, though my favorite is Fallout 2.

As far as playing like a tabletop game, I'm not sure I see the issue.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 02, 2011, 10:03:26 AM
What are you talking about - Fallout is a fantastic game. The original, too. It's biggest problems, as far as I'm concerned, is the time limit ( which is removed in a patch - at least the hidden one ), and the fact it's not as streamlined as newer games. It's still a groundbreaking game, though, and I personally think it has aged pretty well. I'd play them again any day, though my favorite is Fallout 2.

As far as playing like a tabletop game, I'm not sure I see the issue.
My biggest problem with Fallout is it's very obtuse and obfuscating. It's kind of like Pound poetry for gamers. Very self-gratifying.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 02, 2011, 12:59:57 PM
My biggest problem with Fallout is it's very obtuse and obfuscating. It's kind of like Pound poetry for gamers. Very self-gratifying.

Was that supposed to be ironic?

Regardless ... in what way? Examples?