What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 18, 2011, 09:30:51 AM
Fuck I suck at this >.< keep getting the wrong answers...
The trick is to look at the eyes. If they get all buggy but you don't have contradictory evidence then it's probably a doubt. Getting through a case with all right answers is rare though. I can get it with within one wrong answer to perfection. It's a weird game where convictions are concerned though. I can't tell what's corruption and what's just plain wrong.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

The action seems really out of place. Its like Bondi had a quota to fill and so absolutely had to have gunfights, so put the minimal effort in. Seriously, this is not a shooter up to Rockstars standards.

"We got our leads, lets head to the gun store to get the murder weapon checked" "K"

"All officers, we have a random violent gunfight, please respond"

"Oh good! Was getting bored of this faggy detective stuff"

Heads to scene, short generic on foot chase, short generic cover based shoot out.

"Well that sucked... lets get back to sleuthing =3"

Sabby

Okay, aside from some frustrating cases that are near impossible to get right on the first try, LA Noir is great. Theres one major flaw, for me, however... the combat.

I know, I know, I can already hear you groaning >.< I can't enjoy a game where things don't explode. Thats not it at all, though. I have no problem with the gun fights and fist fights being rare and spread out. In fact, I LIKE that idea. But the shooting and fighting is so generic and simple and boring, so theres really nothing to it once it happens. If this is about being a good cop, the combat could have been built around that, instead of being a barely functional cover based thing.

Shoot into the air, call out "Police" dude panics and puts hands up. Cuff him. Or he runs. Chase or pop his leg. He runs through a crowd, you pursue. This is all easily programmable stuff :/ hell, True Crime did a better job at being a cop game, and those games sucked! They could have really made a great "Each case is different" tagline kind of deal, with the A.I., physics, crowds and urban terrain making each chase unique, or hell, have a randomly generated street crime here and there. It was totally within the games grasp :/

I still love the game so far, I just feel like Bondi didn't even try.

Hemingway

What little I've read about L. A. Noire ... it sounds like an awesome game.

*Wants even more.*

I considered stopping by Gamestop on my way home today ... I resisted the urge. Gotta finish my finals .. *groans and restrains urge to run for the door.*

Sabby

Oh, it is good :) Just don't let the fact its on 3 discs make you think its a 50+ hour game xD I'm guessing the facial scan stuff takes up a good chunk of room.

Hemingway

Sabby

I haven't finished, but disc 1 was over pretty quickly.

Hemingway

I hope it's at least 10 hours. Less than that, and it becomes detrimental to my overall enjoyment of the game. Not a very high requirement, but one many, many games fail to meet nowadays.

Sabby

by the look of it, it'll make that quota pretty easily. Its pretty padded out though... get to scene, check for clues, follow them up, eventually someone runs, you have a long an uneventful chase scene, tackle them/beat them up, question them, follow more leads, get shot at, go into some bloody terrible shooting... rinse an repeat.

So outside of the weak 'action' scenes, the only time it frustrates is when answers in interrogations are vague. Sometimes there really is no way to tell if a person is lying or being straight with you, and your reactions can be a bit sporadic, so I never know if acting on a hunch is going to make me call them out on their shifty eyes or shout wild accusations.

But maybe I just suck at it... I've found that if they can't keep their eyes still, the answer is Lie or Doubt, but even then I have some trouble.

Inkidu

Yeah, but this is Bondi we're talking about. They're not exactly ever known for stellar combat. If I remember correctly the Getaway 1 and 2 were pretty much the same. Rockstar only put it's name behind it as publisher. That's why all Rockstar games are Rockstar North in reality.

Still, I like Noir, I knew it wouldn't be a shooter, and if you're looking for a shooter it's not the game for you, but still the action scenes do manage to meat a certain level of action. I'm a vice cop now and I feel the action stuff getting a little more frequent. I kind of like the foot chase stuff even if it is hold right trigger to run and do everything. It's very smooth an well done. I honestly don't care about the facial animation. Contrary to popular belief it probably isn't going to put any animators out of business.

Seriously, you can tell that action is not a first priority when the game offers to let you, "Skip the action sequence and get back to your case." after so many fails.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3261-The-Myth-of-the-Gun

Another interesting Extra Credits. This one examines why the US created FPS, and why we create more FPS games than any other country combined. It also shows how the US and Japan differ culturally on the concept of "The Gun" and why that influences the games the two countries make.

Wyrd

Canadian and European games are miles better then most Us ones and a lot of the newer Japanese games. But thats my opinion. I still found the video interesting, though. thanks for posting
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Interesting, Wolfy. Highly speculative, but interesting.

Wyrd

I actually think it's very true in a lot of ways. Especially on how the gun is more of an extension of the player rather then just another killing device in the veiw of Japanese games. And how the US shooters are kinda FREEDOM!! FUCK YEAH!
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

In other news BiowWare is apparently moving away from science-fiction and fantasy. What could go wrong? Seriously, I kind of want to see them do more, but not move away from.

Wyrd

I'd get sick of Fantasy and Sci-fi if I had to work on stuff like that for 17 years. If they want a way to broaden their reach and sell more games then go ahead. For now, just try not fucking up ME 3 and we're good.
Ragtime Dandies!

consortium11

I'm a little worried about Mass Effect 3.

Partly that's high expectations... and I'm trying to manage mine so I don't expect too much of it. The other thing is worrying noises about "making the game more accessible" which normally ends up being shorthand for removing RPG elements. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing... while I think ME2 has some flaws those flaws don't relate to the way they took out some of the traditional RPG elements that were in ME1 such as an over the top inventory system and is arguably a better game for it... I'm not quite sure what can or needs to be done to make ME3 more accessible than ME2 (other than completely redoing the scanning aspect of the game) and after the "press a button, something awesome happens" logic that appeared in DA2 I'm slightly worried.

I don't think they'll make a bad game out of it; there's a lot of DA2 I quite dislike yet I still enjoy the game overall and have had a couple of playthroughs now, but as I say, I'm worried it won't be the game it could be... and not just by my own nostalgic RPG likes and dislikes (which I fully accept ME has never been the series to satisfy).

Sabby

Wow...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I correctly solved The Studio Secretary Murder. Got McCaffrey, even when it looked like Tiernan had done it.

Even so, what did it was the fact a BIG PHONE ICON told me I could get more info before making a conviction... which seems a bit of a let down, since an indicator is what lead to the breakthrough instead of my own deduction and fact finding :/ The investigations should be more in depth... I should have had the option to check the dudes criminal record, not have a big indicator say "Check record for important shit"

Ophelia Jaxon

ζ ·· The Ideas ·· The Kinks ·· The Apologies ·· The Rabbit Hole ·· ζ
come get a little crazy wicked with me...

dready

I liked the video wolfy.

Also, I found it amusing that Vanquish was suggested and pointed out the japanese stereotype of having an american protagonist for their games that involve lots of guns. Gotta love it.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 20, 2011, 05:03:13 AM
Wow...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I correctly solved The Studio Secretary Murder. Got McCaffrey, even when it looked like Tiernan had done it.

Even so, what did it was the fact a BIG PHONE ICON told me I could get more info before making a conviction... which seems a bit of a let down, since an indicator is what lead to the breakthrough instead of my own deduction and fact finding :/ The investigations should be more in depth... I should have had the option to check the dudes criminal record, not have a big indicator say "Check record for important shit"
Erm, yeah... I think the game gets a lot of play out of atmosphere.

consortium11

The Witcher 2.

By god it's good. A few flaws (and my dislike for week 1 patches as opposed to actual good playtesting continues) and combat takes a little while to adjust to but an absolutely excellent game... a brilliant game in many ways.

If you have even a passing interest in RPGs, be it of the action or more traditional variety, play this... you won't be disappointed.

Hemingway

Sweet. I couldn't get the Witcher at release ... so looking forward to finishing my finals now. The Witcher 2 and LA Noire in 2 days ...

Nadir

I'm playing the AssCreed multiplayer. Ehehehe

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on May 22, 2011, 02:01:19 PM
The Witcher 2.

By god it's good. A few flaws (and my dislike for week 1 patches as opposed to actual good playtesting continues) and combat takes a little while to adjust to but an absolutely excellent game... a brilliant game in many ways.

If you have even a passing interest in RPGs, be it of the action or more traditional variety, play this... you won't be disappointed.
Well, I won't be playing it because I don't want to drop (If you believe the interwebz, $600 dollar American ha ha.) almost a grand on a good gaming PC.
So it's console release or bust.

Playing New Vegas. God. Damned. Stars.