News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

what MMOs is anyone playing?

Started by boogop, July 05, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazyth

Just started poking around on DDO.  Think I played it a bit back in the day, because I have the 32 point build and Favored Soul class unlocked.  Still trying to decide what to actually play though if I stick with it.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Tsenta

Quote from: Kazyth on August 09, 2014, 06:48:47 PM
Just started poking around on DDO.  Think I played it a bit back in the day, because I have the 32 point build and Favored Soul class unlocked.  Still trying to decide what to actually play though if I stick with it.

What server do you play on? Cause E has a decent guild going on.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Mikem

Planetside 2.....what? That counts.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Kazyth

I'm starting over on Thelanis, which I read was the E server.  It's been so long, so many changes... and I didn't get far the first time I played, so I'm not really losing anything.

Tsenta

Yeah, the E guild is on Thelanis.  I've been trying to get more people to play but so far most of 'em aren't happy the good stuff is either VIP or have to purchase. XD

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Kazyth

Eh.  Pretty much every FTP I have ever played had that, other than maybe GW2, and that one requires you to buy the game first anyway.  As long as I can group with and game with some E peeps now and then, I'm happy.

Tsenta

Yeah, thing with DDO is you can actually grind favor for Turbine Points and spend them on the VIP/purchase items anyway. Sure it'd take almost forever but it's possible at least.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Mikem on August 09, 2014, 08:16:12 PM
Planetside 2.....what? That counts.

Hairyheretic, Miller (EU)
Loyalty until Death, Strength in Unity.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kazyth

Someone gifted me WoD for WoW a while back, so I will probably check it out when that drops, but WoW just can't really hold my attention now.

I'm enjoying poking around DDO again.  Started off with something of an evasion pally.  A few splashed levels of fighter and rogue for goodies, then all Pally the rest of the way.

Good times.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: KaylaM on August 11, 2014, 08:53:39 AM
I'm having more fun with the Warlords of Draenor beta then I've had with any of the non-WoW MMOs I've tried in the last few years

My WoW interest has lapsed to near nothing, but everything about WoD has me itching for it to come out and return.

I don't know how Blizzard does it. Their flagship game is 10 years old this November, runs strictly on a paid subscription basis (minus cosmetic optionals) when the strong-rising business model is F2P+Microtransaction, keep their graphics/hardware requirements low enough that 10-year old machines can still run the modern program, and they still outpace every single one of their competitors in total subscriptions revenue by a mile - using Wikipedia's Statistics table as a guideline (guideline only, it cites WoW at 7.6mil, rather than the end-of-Q2 6.8mil reported), the only games exceeding its player base are Runescape and something I've never heard of called Dofus, both F2P.

Sure, Skinner's Box and all that. But it doesn't explain how they're able to build a better Skinner's Box than anyone else starting from so far behind technically.

Doomsday

I'm not a WoW player, but I couldn't imagine going 14 months between new content. I understand their sub numbers have been falling sharply.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Doomsday on August 12, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
I'm not a WoW player, but I couldn't imagine going 14 months between new content. I understand their sub numbers have been falling sharply.

Two closely related phenomena. According to a friend I have who owns Blizzard stock and gets shareholder reports, their actual income from the game is dropping far slower because of how much business they get out of the Chinese/Asian market and the weird payment method used there, but even the diehard players are sick of it by now. Expansion releases always crank the subscription count up a bunch though, so it'll get a shot of life support when WoD comes out.

ShadowFox89

I started playing Swordsman Online, which is good if you like Wuxia.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kazyth

If anyone is still playing DDO on here, just had a quick question.  I have the points saved up for it, but I'm wondering if the Artificer is worth it.  It seems like a really cool and different class, but I'm still rather on the fence about it.

Twisted Crow

Marvel Heroes. About two weeks into it. I feel like the only E player on that gig. :/

Currently leveling Cyke to get some XP synergy for my other heroes. He's effective but can be a bit mind-numbing for me to play. Even with back-up from Magik.

Tsenta

Quote from: Kazyth on August 16, 2014, 07:30:30 PM
If anyone is still playing DDO on here, just had a quick question.  I have the points saved up for it, but I'm wondering if the Artificer is worth it.  It seems like a really cool and different class, but I'm still rather on the fence about it.

You can unlock Artificer through favor later on, so no real point in BUYING it.  But it's a pretty good solo class I'm hearing, combined with Warforged. Self heals, trapfind, limited casting, pets!  Plus UMD (I think) for other magic stuff.  I'm actually working to unlock Artificer then reincarnate my cleric (once it hits lvl 20) into an arty.

Nowherewoman

Some Champs Online, mostly because it's the only real option for superhero RPGs atm (please do NOT bring up the console abortion that is DCUO.)

Lifer in Secret World, so I dip in and out there.

Lot of Old Republic.

I'm poking at Tera the second time, and there are some fun things about it buuuut...unconvinced.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Twisted Crow

I never tried DCUO, but then again I'm not very big on DC myself. Well, besides Batman and Wonder Woman.

Chris Brady

DCUO has an amazing combat system.  It's problem is that it doesn't have much else.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kazyth

I keep thinking about going back to Champions Online.  Unfortunately though, ever Superhero MMO is going to find itself measured against City of Heroes/City of Villains for me, and thus far they all rather fall short.  Might not be fair of me, but it's hard not to bring many years of enjoyment and a vibrant RP Server community to bear on whatever I try.

Keep meaning to look into Secret World as well.  I was really excited about it when it first came out, but the reviews of it tended to be rather bland, so I never really dipped my toes in.

And Tsenta, thanks for the feedback!  I have no idea how or where favor is generated, but I'll look into saving it up for the Artificer while I tool around with my Warforged Rogue/Wizard.  And my Human Monk.  And my Human Rogue/Pally/Fighter.  And... well, you get the picture.  I am an altoholic.

Tsenta

Quote from: Kazyth on August 24, 2014, 08:44:00 PM
I keep thinking about going back to Champions Online.  Unfortunately though, ever Superhero MMO is going to find itself measured against City of Heroes/City of Villains for me, and thus far they all rather fall short.  Might not be fair of me, but it's hard not to bring many years of enjoyment and a vibrant RP Server community to bear on whatever I try.

Keep meaning to look into Secret World as well.  I was really excited about it when it first came out, but the reviews of it tended to be rather bland, so I never really dipped my toes in.

And Tsenta, thanks for the feedback!  I have no idea how or where favor is generated, but I'll look into saving it up for the Artificer while I tool around with my Warforged Rogue/Wizard.  And my Human Monk.  And my Human Rogue/Pally/Fighter.  And... well, you get the picture.  I am an altoholic.

Favbor is generated by doing quests. I think once you get like 150 Cannith favor, you unlock artificer. Harder difficulty set, the more favor.  Sadly Cannith quests range up to lvl 15+ so...you may not be unlocking arty for quite a while.     Here, hopefully this helps: http://ddowiki.com/page/Favor#House_Cannith

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Kazyth on August 24, 2014, 08:44:00 PM

There's a chance we might see CoX rise from the ashes. Apparently there are some kind of discussions going on about the IP being bought out and the game restarted.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kazyth

Quote from: Tsenta on August 24, 2014, 09:02:14 PM
Favbor is generated by doing quests. I think once you get like 150 Cannith favor, you unlock artificer. Harder difficulty set, the more favor.  Sadly Cannith quests range up to lvl 15+ so...you may not be unlocking arty for quite a while.     Here, hopefully this helps: http://ddowiki.com/page/Favor#House_Cannith

Thanks again Tsenta!  Not sure if I want to wait that long to get my hands on the Artificer, but I will try to hold out.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 24, 2014, 09:03:39 PM
There's a chance we might see CoX rise from the ashes. Apparently there are some kind of discussions going on about the IP being bought out and the game restarted.

That would be amazing.  I would love to see that happen.  I know there were talks before it officially shut down from various interested parties about buying the IP, but that it was turned down repeatedly.  Of course, the Virtueverse wouldn't be what it was.  Might never get back to what it was, but I still would love to have the game available again.

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Kazyth on August 24, 2014, 10:10:44 PM
Thanks again Tsenta!  Not sure if I want to wait that long to get my hands on the Artificer, but I will try to hold out.

That would be amazing.  I would love to see that happen.  I know there were talks before it officially shut down from various interested parties about buying the IP, but that it was turned down repeatedly.  Of course, the Virtueverse wouldn't be what it was.  Might never get back to what it was, but I still would love to have the game available again.

That would be very surprising if true.  A number of attempts were made at the time of the shutdown to keep the game going, including an offer by the Dev team to buy it. NC ultimately refused all offers.

City of Titans/the Phoenix Project, however, is well into development, and is staffed by former CoX devs and fans.  [size=78%]http://cityoftitans.com/[/size]  They blew through their Kickstarter goals in about a month, the game is being done in the Unreal 4 engine.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0