She's only a baby

Started by Missy, August 18, 2014, 01:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

She doesn't seem to understand the concept of a litterbox . . .

Well, I'm hoping she gets the idea, and that moving the litterbox into my room (which is where she seems to like to be most since she I brought her home last night) will make a difference. I've tried to make it accessible, I don't think the shoebox is too big for her to hop into, but I might try cutting a hole into the side of the box possibly. My rooommates partner said for her kitten she just showed her the litterbox and the cat got the idea.

Has anyone here ever had any difficulties litterbox training a cat? Was there any kind of solution you found particularly helpful?

jouzinka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZlj8VMPlHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UloAV3l-e_c

http://www.perfectpaws.com/litter.html#.U_JL0mOK_C4

I've never litterbox-trained a kitty, but those above seemed like a good place to start. Congrats on a new furbaby :)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Mithlomwen

What I usually do for young kittens like that, is take them to the box.  When they wake up from a nap (and get good and awake), take her to the box and set her down in it.  They'll usually sniff around for a bit and do their business. 

If you take her to the box, and set her down in it, every couple of hours, she'll eventually get the idea and start going on her own. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Cycle

Also consider having a larger, shallower box, especially for a youngster.  They don't have the mighty muscles yet, so climbing anything can be a chore.  Make it easy for them to do what you want them to do. 

Kye

If you're using an actual shoebox, get a litter box.  The urine will soak into the shoebox and the kitten won't want to use it, plus it will get disgusting and fall apart fairly quickly. 

Elina

I've potty trained two kittens and two kids.  Consistency is a big part of it.  You need to take them there regularly so they know what to do with it.  Also, this might sound gross, but it's something that was recommended to me.  If your kitten defecates outside the litterbox, put it in there so it'll scent that way, and then maybe it'll clue kitty in on what it's supposed to be.

Lord Drake

Quote from: Elina on August 18, 2014, 03:35:23 PMAlso, this might sound gross, but it's something that was recommended to me.  If your kitten defecates outside the litterbox, put it in there so it'll scent that way, and then maybe it'll clue kitty in on what it's supposed to be.

This. I know it is yucky but it works.
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Syene

I was lucky that my babies figured it out without any problems, but I think the suggestion for a litter box with lower sides is a great one, as is putting it near her favorite places to hang out so it's easy to find. I used a disposable aluminum cake pan (maybe 2.5" tall?) while mine were tiny and it seemed to be easy for them to climb into. When they're little, they make little messes, so you don't need the litter to be very deep.
[tr][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Serephino

When I had trouble it turned out to be the kind of litter I was using.  They didn't like the smell, it was kind of strong smelling.  Once I figured that out they got it pretty quickly when I did the stuff in the video.