News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Scourge of Worlds - A Pathfinder Adventure

Started by Laughing Hyena, April 19, 2011, 02:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebb

It's probably fine, then. I trust your calculator a lot more than I trust my quick eyeballing of the equipment list. The quiver didn't even jump out to me as a magic item. So no worries. Mostly I wanted to make sure that I hadn't picked a wrong number and gone grossly overboard or anything.

Shihong, I'll pitch in for the second horse, sure. And I call dibs on the top bunk. Are you human, by the way?

Ebb

Jojel's sheet updated: http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8506
"Bucky" is our second draft horse. "Matilda" is my pony; she's too good to pull the carriage.

Shihong, looks like your sheet is locked.

Crovonovin

Ebb

Looks great, Shihong. Alchemists also look really complicated, to this uninitiated eye. I have a 3rd level one in another game, but it's almost too many options for me to keep track of.

Laughing Hyena, how many players would you like in order to get going? Senti or Callie, still interested in joining? Anybody feel like being a big wall of muscle for us cowards to hide behind?

Crovonovin

Alchemists only really seem complicated from the outset.  They can either be a devastating brawler with mutagens, or a bomber who focuses on debilitating status effects.  Either way you have access to a number of wizard-like spells in the form of extracts, which can eventually be given to others with the right discovery for some pretty great combos.  Their focus is slightly more narrow than a wizard, but they're great at controlling the battlefield and supporting the party both in and out of battle.

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Ebb on April 21, 2011, 10:43:34 AM
Looks great, Shihong. Alchemists also look really complicated, to this uninitiated eye. I have a 3rd level one in another game, but it's almost too many options for me to keep track of.

Laughing Hyena, how many players would you like in order to get going? Senti or Callie, still interested in joining? Anybody feel like being a big wall of muscle for us cowards to hide behind?

Four to five people as stated in the opening post.

Kate

im happy to be a fighter woman.

I would prefer to write up her background and choose her pic if another is keen on fleshing out her details for the system mechanics stuff.

Laughing Hyena

Kate

Background

Grace Orea is the daughter of a shamed general which took disciplinary measures on his own troups too far. Far enough that they themselves disposed of him, something their own king agreed with.  His tactics were perfect, his lack of understanding of morale however was his downfall.

His legacy included daughters, one of which already married well before the family name of Orea fell leaving Grace in a situation none would envy. Instead of bowing to the shame her family represented Grace decided that her father was correct and it was a sign of weakness of the army for being needy of being fathered for small things they should know, and decided to try and prove her strange theory in practice... by becoming a warrior herself.

What resources her family had left she used to commission armor made of mithril. Then Grace saw to her training in the only way she believed ... by going through the books her father wrote on warfare.

It soon became obvious her father had an affection for those that were fully armored using a great sword held in both hands and often preached about tactics that only such a warrior could manage. Although women had been warriors before most choose the bow or weapons of speed, but something about using a great sword had a pride and magnificence that to her overshadowed everything.

Some in his army that were sympathetic to her situation choose to train her as best they could. She was naturally fast and had superb balance, that helped. More importantly she was determined to be great, that was better.

She demanded her trainers push her as hard as possible, they did.  Even practicing with wooden sword made welts as common as sneezes.... day after day in the war camp that ironically flourished green that had birds chirping love songs, Grace's skill in tactics and swordplay began to show signs of matching her drive....

Personality

• Proud
  • Pushy
  • Demanding
  • Arrogant
  • Commanding
  • Impatient
  • Overbearing

Stats

str : 14 (+2)
dex : 18 (+4)
int : 16 (+3)
wis : 13 (+1)
con : 14 (+2)
char: 13 (+1)

Fort: 4 + 2 (con) = +6
Ref: 1 + 4 (dex) + 2 (improved reflexes) = +7
will: 1 + 1 (will) + 1 (bravery 1) = +3

AC: 10 + 9 (plate) + 4 (Dex) + 1 dodge = +24
Touch: +15
CMB: +12
CMD: +16
FLAT: +19 +4 (Mobility) = +23
FCMD:??
Speed 30

Skills

Climb (2 Str) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = +6
Swim (2 Str) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = +6
Handle Animal (1 Cha) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = +5
Intimidate (1 Cha) + 3 (Class) + 5 rank = +9
Knowledge (dungeoneering) (3 Int) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = 7
Knowledge (engineering) (3 Int) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = 7
Ride (4 Dex) + 3 (Class) +  5 rank = +12
Survival (1 Wis) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = +5
Profession (soldier) (1 Wis) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = +5
Craft weapons (3 Int) + 3 (Class) + 1 rank = +7
Stealth (4 Dex) + 2 ranks  - 3 (Armour check pen) = +3
Acrobatics (4 Dex) + 5 ranks - 3 (armour check pen) = +6

BAB: +5 + 2 = +7 + 1 (weapon focus) +1 (weapon training 1) = +9
Initiative = 4 (Dex) = +4
Damage Bonus = + 3 (1.5 x +2(str)) + 1 (weapon training 1) = + 4

Mithril full plate Armour check penalty = -3 (not masterworked only mithril)
Mithril full plate Max dex bonus = +3 + armour training 1 = +4

Feats

weapon focus (+ 1 to attack)
dodge = (+ 1 ac)
combat expertise (trade attack bonus for ac bonus)
Spring attack (can move before and after attacking)
Mobility (+4 ac against attacks of opportunity)
Whirlwind attack (strike out at every foe within reach)
Improved reflexes (+2 reflex saves)

bravery 1 (will saves +1)
armor training 1 (+1 permitted dex bonus, armor check penalty lessens by + 1)
weapon training 1 (+1 attack and damage)

Stuff:

Mithril Full Plate (1,500 + 9000 gp (mithril))
Thick velvet over-robe: 10 gp
Greatsword

Callie Del Noire

Hmm.. well fighter is filled I'm guessing. So I need to figure up something else. (Tucks away Human fighter with focus on Dwarven Waraxe/Shield)

Callie Del Noire

How about.. Duyven Thundersbrew, Dwarven Alchemist. :D

DUYVEN THUNDERSBREW   CR 4
Male Dwarf Alchemist 5
NG Medium Humanoid (Dwarf)
Init +2; Senses Darkvision (60 feet); Perception +10
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10. . (+2 Dex)
hp 52 (5d8+20)
Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +3
Defensive Abilities Defensive Training; Resist Poison Resistance +4; SR 10
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 20 ft.
Melee Unarmed Strike +4 (1d3+1/20/x2)
Ranged Bomb +6 (3d6+4 Fire) and
. . Frost Bomb +6 (3d6+4 Cold) and
. . Shock Bomb +6 (3d6+4 Elec.)
Special Attacks Bomb 3d6+4 (9/day) (DC 16), Frost Bomb, Shock Bomb
Alchemist Spells Known (CL 5, 4 melee touch, 5 ranged touch):
2 (3/day) Cure Moderate Wounds (DC 16), Alchemical Allocation (DC 16), Fire Breath (DC 16)
1 (5/day) Shield, Shield, Cure Light Wounds (DC 15), Cure Light Wounds (DC 15), Jump
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 13, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 18, Wis 15, Cha 10
Base Atk +3; CMB +4; CMD 16
Feats Brew Potion, Extra Discovery, Splash Weapon Mastery, Throw Anything, Toughness +5
Traits Focused Mind, Resilient
Skills Appraise +10, Craft: Alchemy +12, Heal +9, Knowledge: Arcana +10, Knowledge: Dungeoneering +7, Knowledge: History +5, Knowledge: Nature +10, Perception +10, Profession: Brewer +8, Profession: Merchant +7, Sleight of Hand +8, Spellcraft +12, Use Magic Device +8 Modifiers Alchemy +5
Languages Common, Dwarven, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Undercommon
SQ Fast Poisoning (Move Action) (Ex), Greed, Hatred, Mutagen (DC 16) (Su), Poison Use, Precise Bombs (4 squares) (Su), Slow and Steady, Stability, Stonecunning +2, Swift Alchemy (Ex)
Other Gear Backpack (empty)
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Alchemy +5 (Su) +5 to Craft (Alchemy) to create alchemical items, can Id potions by touch.
Bomb 3d6+4 (9/day) (DC 16) (Su) Thrown Splash Weapon deals 3d6+4 fire damage.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Defensive Training +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the Giant type.
Fast Poisoning (Move Action) (Ex) Apply poison to a weapon as a move action.
Focused Mind +2 to Concentration checks
Frost Bomb (Su) When the alchemist creates a bomb, he can choose to have it inflict cold damage. Creatures that take a direct hit from a frost bomb are staggered on their next turn unless they succeed on a Fortitude save.
Greed +2 to Appraise checks to determine the price of nonmagical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones.
Hatred +1 racial bonus to attacks against Orcs and Goblinoids.
Mutagen (DC 16) (Su) Mutagen adds +4 to a Physical attribute, -2 to a mental attribute, and +2 natural armor for 10 minutes/level.
Poison Resistance +4 (Ex) +4 to save vs. Poison.
Poison Use You don't accidentally poison yourself with blades.
Precise Bombs (4 squares) (Su) Whenever the alchemist throws a bomb, he can select a number of squares equal to his Intelligence modifier that are not affected by the splash damage from his bombs.
Shock Bomb (Su) When the alchemist creates a bomb, he can choose to have it inflict electricity damage. Creatures that take a direct hit from a shock bomb are dazzled for 1d4 rounds.
Slow and Steady Your base speed is never modified by encumbrance.
Spell Resistance (10) You have Spell Resistance.
Stability +4 to avoid being bull rushed or tripped while standing.
Stonecunning +2 +2 bonus to Perception vs unusual stonework. Free check within 10 feet.
Swift Alchemy (Ex) You can construct alchemical items in half the normal time.
Throw Anything Proficient with improvised ranged weapons.  +1 to hit with thrown splash weapons.

Created With Hero LabĀ® - try it for free at http://www.wolflair.com!

Crovonovin

Say Callie, since it seems like we're both playing alchemists (both Bombers from the looks of it, though you're focused on different types of explosives than I), perhaps you would like to join my character and Ebb's?  We're essentially playing a couple of snake-oil salesmen and con artists (with a bit of a Robin Hood gray area bent), and a dwarf adds a certain air of authenticity to just about any "legitimate" business!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shihong on April 24, 2011, 04:08:40 PM
Say Callie, since it seems like we're both playing alchemists (both Bombers from the looks of it, though you're focused on different types of explosives than I), perhaps you would like to join my character and Ebb's?  We're essentially playing a couple of snake-oil salesmen and con artists (with a bit of a Robin Hood gray area bent), and a dwarf adds a certain air of authenticity to just about any "legitimate" business!

Oh.. drat.. didn't realize I was stepping on another character.. this is going to be hard. Fighter/Bard/Alchemist down.. got to think of something else then.

And I think of Duyven as a 'Super-Bartender' than 'Snake-Oil' type.

Laughing Hyena

Callie Del Noire

I got a mage/cleric I was making for a mystic theurge. :D

Or I could try out a pure cleric. (Been a while since I tried one)

Crovonovin

Didn't mean to put a damper on your idea, but I can understand if you don't want to overlap.

A cleric would certainly be a great boon for just about any party, and if you're still set on being a dwarf I can't think of a better class for it!

Laughing Hyena

Try not to double up too much or I give fair warning. I will kick your ass.

Crovonovin

Well right now we seem to have:

• An Alchemist,
  • a Bard (Street Performer Archetype),
  • a Fighter,
  • an Inquisitor,
  • and a Cleric(?) or some variant thereof.

Ebb

Quote from: Shihong on April 24, 2011, 04:48:43 PM
Well right now we seem to have:

• An Alchemist,
  • a Bard (Street Performer Archetype),
  • a Fighter,
  • an Inquisitor,
  • and a Cleric(?) or some variant thereof.

And Senti mentioned a druid a little while back, but I'm not sure if she's still interested. Senti?

From my limited experience, fighter isn't that bad of a class to double up on. Most problems are fairly amenable to hitting them with sharp objects.

Also right now we don't have a real rogue; my bard has some of the skills, but is going to be useless for traps and such.

Laughing Hyena

Hmm we have five players already. If we want six I'll have to toughen the encounters up.

Callie Del Noire

Sabriel

Lucrece Bennett

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8505

Basic Background

Life for Lucrece Bennett as she would come to be called did not start out easy nor privileged she was born an illegitimate child, brought into a family of dark and wayward ways she was unwanted and raised only so that she might one day serve. Her mother had fallen in with and was a part of a band of roguish ne'er-do-wells who took to using children in there gang, raising them to serve as spies and distractions occasionally even involving them with thefts.

Lucrece was barely six years old when her life took the change, the gang had become increasingly careless and too big for it's boots, its leader was no longer content with petty crimes and wanted more power and control.

This was to his downfall and led to the capture of the gang, the local law and nobles decided that an example was to be made of them and all who a part of the gang where to be punished or executed for the crimes.

The local church of Pholtus was alarmed by the measures that where to be taken, and sought to intervene and control matters. It was eventually agreed that the orphans of the gang would be taken in by the church and that an appropriate example could be made from those responsible, Bennett was one of the youngest of the orphans and she found a home with the priests and priestesses of Pholtus. 

Most of the other orphans where found homes or where sent to live elsewhere, but Bennett was one of a chosen few to be inducted into the orders lifestyle and raised by it's code.  She was raised by many but none seamed more fatherly or motherly to her than the priest Barathion, he had personally suggested that she remain with the order and be raised by them.

He played a pivotal role in raising and teaching her and laid the path for adult life, when she matured Lucrece begun to believe she would serve in the order just like the priestesses did but others had other plans.

For they had already foreseen and chosen the path Bennett and a few of the other orphans would walk, there service to Pholtus was of a different degree. Soon the Lucrece begun to meet and be introduced to members of the order she had not seen or heard of before and her lessons took a different turn, at first Lucrece was sad and disappointed that she would not be a Priestess she did not understand.  But in time it became a driving goal for her and her prayers to Pholtus seamed to take on more meaning than they ever had before, she had never known before but it was because she lacked the purpose and now she had found her call.

It turned out that Lucrece found the task she was given a rewarding and satisfying one, she could serve the order and Pholtus after all as she was meant to do. She learned about law and order and the teachings of Pholtus , she served as a legal aide and barrister and became quite skilled in interrogating and bringing in witnesses and criminals. She still continued to meet and speak with Barathion until the day when her services parted them and he stopped responding to her letters, she took heart in her duty and spreading the word of Pholtus and hunting those who where a threat to the faith and people. 

-----

Thought id write up a bit of her basic background I can easily add to it or change anything if it works better for the story :)  I thought id just keep it to the basics for now and sort of not go into great detail because I wanted make sure I could still fit her knowing others in there.

Ebb

Jojel Fairhaven

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8506

Basic Background

Jojel was born the sixth of nine children to a very wealthy halfing family. His father was the equivalent of a country squire, needing to do little more than collect the proceeds from his tenant farmers and render the appropriate percentages to the local (human) Baron. Jojel spent his childhood, which lasted long past the age when most halfings would be seeking an honest profession, carousing, singing traditional halfing songs, and spending his family's money. His parents indulged him and his siblings, most of whom were equally worthless to society.

Sadly, four years ago tragedy struck the Fairhaven clan as both of his parents were killed during a raid by a tribe of hobgoblins who had struck well into civilized lands, fleeing devastation in their homeland. Though the humanoids were quickly dealt with by adventurers, it was little consolation to those who had died. Jojel's eldest brother Hapton assumed leadership of the family and ownership of the estate. His first act was to cut off all of the other adult children, giving them a small purse of gold and sending them out into the world to stand on their own feet.

Jojel did not take well to the sudden responsibility, quickly spending his inheritance to the point where he was left destitute on the streets of the city. Eventually he found a way to capitalize on his natural talents, spinning stories and cutting purses to make a living. His career of petty thievery didn't take off, however, until he met Jeremiah Oz, the alchemist. The man was talented and intelligent, but was having a hard time turning his considerable skill into coin. The two were a natural fit; Jojel's easygoing nature and silver tongue complimented the human's more serious side. Jojel took upon himself the roles of barker, shill, wagon driver, illusionist and emergency escape artist tactician.

His needs are few, but despite this he has a great deal of trouble holding onto a coin for long. Jojel has an unfortunate taste for the finer things in life from his youth. If he buys wine, it is the best available. If he commissions a new suit of clothes it must be made from the most expensive silk, and if it becomes stained it might be easier to discard it and get a new one. These tendencies, coupled with the cost of raw materials for Jeremiah's work, mean that the pair is often short on funds despite their considerable talents.

=====================

I'm happy to make changes in order to conform with the group. Particularly, Shihong, if any of this doesn't match your conception of Jeremiah. We should also decide if Grace is part of our troupe, or if she's hired separately by Lucrece.

I really like both Grace's and Lucrece's writeups, by the way.

Crovonovin

No, that works perfectly!  I've added some "public" details to my sheet, though nothing quite so in-depth as a history.