Interest check for freeform Star Wars game

Started by RedEve, January 20, 2008, 09:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

As in, no confusing system thingy. I would allow all canon races. And it would be adult oriented, obviously.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Rydia

What's the era, basic story?  If that will all be decided when the game gets put together, then I vote conditionally in.
Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

RedEve

Well, for that, I wanted to hear the potential players' input. I have a slight preference for either the Clone Wars period or the Legacy period, but if most participants prefer another era, then I'll gladly oblige.

The story would be heavily depending on the era we select, obviously.

Rydia

I stopped following the EU stuff, so I know more about Clone Wars era than Legacy, but depending on how tightly you want to stick to the framework of the SW story, I could do either (with handholding or a fish out of water character).  Count me in.
Check it out.

MagicalPen

I've always been interested in a SW game, though my knowledge is only limited to that of the Movies, plus KOTOR II.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

RedEve

Well, perhaps it would be easier to decide upon the era if I knew what kind of character you would prefer playing. :)

Rydia

Two options.  One is a reprogrammed assassination droid in the model of HK-47; very dark, bitter sense of humor and peculiar idioms in his method of speech.

The second would be a Force using young woman who was enslaved by a small pirate outfit, forced to use her abilities to help coordinate ship battle, detect ambushes and interrogate prisoners, recently escaped. 
Check it out.

Serenity Vixen

How about a Trianii Ranger who is strong in the force and wants to learn the ways of a jedi...
except of course that the jedi are probably dead or in hiding, again, depending on the era
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Jefepato

Could be interesting, but to be honest I have no idea yet what I'd like to play.

MagicalPen

I'm with Jefetapo on this one too - no idea what i would play.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Ryvaken

Oooo StarWars RP much fun. I agree with the 'this could be interesting'...but not in those eras. Clone Wars is plagued by the raw stupidity of Lucas, and the Legacy period has sucked all the dimension out of the characters and fit them into Clone Wars part II. The only era that has worse writing is Kotor. The golden eras are the brief period between Vision of the Future and Vector Prime, the Zsinj era, and the early Academy era. The Vong invasion wavers between the extremes, hitting its stride between Star by Star and Force Heretic.

Yes, I am an elitist snob.
In creativity, meaning.

Serenity Vixen

I only know the movies, but I am willing to learn more if necessary
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

RedEve

Okay, I'd like to start by putting the era to a vote. Could everyone give me an idea of which era they would prefer? If we have that sorted out, I can then write a small pitch to lay out the basic plot.

Rydia

First Preference -- Old Republic, pre-film trilogies
Second Preference -- Clone Ways Era
Third Preference -- Legacy Era
Check it out.

Serenity Vixen

I am game for any era actually, as long as everyone is patient with me. At the moment, I only know the movies though, and the Han Solo books which happen just prior to the err... 4th movie

MagicalPen

*hops on the SV Bandwagon* I'm with her as far as knowledge and patience.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Ryvaken

First Preference: Remnant Era, meaning the timeperiod when Luke Skywalker's Jedi praxeum has produced Jedi and before the Vong invasion.
Second Preference: Late Vong Era, meaning the timeperiod after the fall of Coruscant and before the absurd events surrounding the Killik hives.
Third Preference: Warlord Era, meaning the time after the movies up through the dissolution of the warlords and the beginning of the Imperial Remnant.
In creativity, meaning.

Vandren

I haven't been by here in a while, but I could definitely get into a SW board. 

Preferences for period:
1) Clone Wars era
2) Old Republic (pre-Clone Wars)
3) Post-Endor to early New Republic (say, up through or including the Republic's capture/liberation of Coruscant)

I'll admit to a bias against the Vong period that is partially a bias against Salvatore and his creation. 
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Serenity Vixen

So, do we know if this game is going to happen?

Longspeak

Potentially interested.  I have a big love for alternate timelines.  In non-adult settings, I have run a post Return game (ignoring the EU), an alternate setting based twenty years after Luke turned and the rebellion was crushed at Endor, and am currently (thought intermittently) running an alternate episode IV set 20 years after Palpatine failed to turn Anakin and was killed by Windu.

Not looking to run, those are just some examples of ideas I've used.

Ryvaken

Slightly less blasphemous than the mess of Episodes 2 and 3, that.
In creativity, meaning.

Vandren

Quote from: Ryvaken on January 27, 2008, 10:37:41 PMSlightly less blasphemous than the mess of Episodes 2 and 3, that.

Speaking as a 2+ decade fan of the series and a professional lit. crit., the only big thing that 2 & 3 really suffered from was bad casting decisions like that Hayden kid who's almost as bad as Keanu Reeves but not quite (and, admittedly, some little paradoxes/problems introduced by writing such as the droids and a few of Kenobi's lines).  Oh, and the fact that Lucas didn't kill off Binks.

(BTW, it would probably be better to just come out and say you don't like the series, setting, etc. as a whole since that appears to be the case.)

But, that's all I'll say on that since this is neither the time nor the place for such a debate.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Serenity Vixen

It would not be true to say that I did not like the series or setting. I LOVED the 4th, 5th, and 6th movie. I didn't detest the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd movies, but I really did not like them as well, but since we were exposed to the second set first, maybe that is understandable, even if they were made before I was born :P

Still, I personally can have fun in any Star Wars setting, as long as my fellow players are patient with me as my knowlege is pretty limited :)

Ryvaken

Lucas is a hack. The one thing I'll say good about his works was that they were better than Darksaber.
In creativity, meaning.

Vandren

Quote from: Serenity Vixen on January 28, 2008, 10:43:35 AMIt would not be true to say that I did not like the series or setting. I LOVED the 4th, 5th, and 6th movie. I didn't detest the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd movies, but I really did not like them as well, but since we were exposed to the second set first, maybe that is understandable, even if they were made before I was born :P

Mea culpa, the commentary in my last post was directed at Ryvaken and no one else.

Speaking of whom . . . yes, Lucas was a poor writer.  So was Tolkien.  However, both were/are quite good at tapping into the collective unconscious and creating worlds that sparked the imaginations of literally millions of people.  Both also managed to refuel their respective genres by bringing the genres into the public eye.  Where once (1900-1960s or so) the SF genre was pretty much limited to a fairly small and introverted audience, after Lucas and Rodenberry (another not so great writer), the audience for the genre expanded exponentially.  More importantly, in some ways, studios and producers saw that SF could make affordable, profitable television and film.  While both L. and R. were poor writers, without them we wouldn't have the same proliferation and general acceptance of SF as a genre and would have had to wait a lot longer for decent to good SF television/film.  Honestly, speaking as a soon-to-be doctor of medieval lit (come March *crossed fingers*), the same can be said about the Beowulf transcriber - his writing is definitely not the best, but his work helped spawn native English/Anglo-Saxon imaginative fiction and for that, we continue to read and study his work roughly 1300-1400 years after his death (going by the earliest dates for the epic).

But, again, this is hardly the place or time for such a debate/discussion, even if it is pretty much one sided (sorry, "Lucas is a hack" isn't really "discussion" or "debate").  And, yes, I realize that I just went back on my word from the previous post.  Again, mea culpa.  I'll be good and be quiet on this subject now.