Interest Check: [UN] Fantastic Sci-Fi (magic and star travel)

Started by Vandren, January 10, 2009, 03:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Alright, in my own fiction writing lately I've been toying the confluence of fantasy and sci-fi.  And I'm itching for a game.  So . . .

Would anyone be interested in a sci-fi game incorporating sorcery ("standard" magic), thaumaturgy (demon summoning), and witchcraft/wizardry (spirit summoning)?  The basic setting will be largely undeveloped, allowing for a lot of player development/creativity.  Humans will likely be dominant.  Technology roughly Star Wars level (FTL travel is reasonably cheap and common, energy weapons are present, robots are largely self-willed, but "replicators" and "transporters" don't exist, food has to be grown, etc.).  Multiple governments exist, one of the largest being the Empire, which includes Earth.  For an Earth year, I don't really care too much, but let's say mid-24th century (2340-2360 C.E. or thereabouts).

The focus would be a planet on the Imperial frontier, it enjoys the benefits of membership in the Empire but is considerably looser in law enforcement and whatnot than the core worlds.  (basic planetary write-up follows)  More specifically, I'd like to focus on the Count's palace-fortress and attached city/town.  Expansion beyond the palace could easily include the starport, orbital stations, an arena, markets, the Imperial Academy of Sorcery, private estates of local nobles, and whatever else, eventually.

Artemis
This planet is located on the fringes of Imperial Space.  It is a half-wild planet that was only settled in the last century.  Artemis is the only terrestrial planet in the system, although terraforming projects are being undertaken on two others and there are numerous orbital stations and small arcologies throughout the system.  Most of the planet is temperate, reaching near tropical near the equator and near arctic at the poles.  The only major settlement is the capital, which shares the planet’s name and has a population in the 100,000s.  Currently, Artemis is ruled by the Lord Marcher, Count Valaecin.  As the count sees the Empire becoming decadent and weak, he seeks to assert his own authority and power.  Thus, he has begun to subvert Imperial law.  As part of his bid for independence, Valaecin has started to provide sanctuary for pirates and smugglers as well as somewhat quietly opening up a thriving black-market slave trade out of his palace.  However, there are those Imperial loyalists who covertly oppose the count’s desires and manage to conceal themselves despite the efforts of his secret police.

The city is also home to a branch of the Imperial Academy of Sorcery (IAS-Artemis), myriad bars and taverns, and stores carrying a variety of goods legal and illegal elsewhere in the Empire.  Laws regarding weaponry, armor, violence (in certain areas), and pretty much anything short of murder are lax, unless the victim is a noble, the property of a noble, or under the protection of a noble.

Thaumaturgic and witchcraft instruction follow a rather medieval model.  Students approach a teacher, showing up whenever they like and paying for instruction on a day to day basis.  Sorcerous instruction is much more formal, akin to a high school and college.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Aether

Sounds very cool  :)

Will be most interested to hear more!

RedEve

Can you give us some details on how you see the combination of SW and fantasy working? Are there still Jedi and Sith in this universe? Wouldn't it be better to create a completely original universe? :)
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Vandren

Quote from: RedEve on January 11, 2009, 08:57:05 AMCan you give us some details on how you see the combination of SW and fantasy working? Are there still Jedi and Sith in this universe? Wouldn't it be better to create a completely original universe? :)

This is a completely original universe.  Thus the existence of Earth, the use of "2340-2360 C.E.", and the name Artemis, among other things.  :)

Quote from: AetherSounds very cool  Smiley

Will be most interested to hear more!

Actually, I don't have much more to fill in, aside from some basics about the workings of sorcery, thaumaturgy, and witchcraft/wizardry.  I'm leaning heavily toward freeform, partially because my other option would be GURPS 3rd ed which doesn't appear to be too popular on E.  Loose structure, player driven action, etc. with moderator oversight for some continuity and NPCs as needed.  That sort of thing.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

HairyHeretic

To combine magic and technology you could always have a look at Shadowrun, and simply advance the timeline on that.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Aether

Quote from: Vandren on January 11, 2009, 12:18:31 PM
Actually, I don't have much more to fill in, aside from some basics about the workings of sorcery, thaumaturgy, and witchcraft/wizardry.  I'm leaning heavily toward freeform, partially because my other option would be GURPS 3rd ed which doesn't appear to be too popular on E.

Ironically I was looking at gurps 4th last night for an idea about what a technomancer would look like.  So your answer was perfect ;D  I am curious if there will be a rule system or any dice rolling?

Vandren

I've used Shadowrun in the past, but don't really care for it.  On the other hand, I'm not really familiar with anything beyond 2nd ed. Shadowrun.  In contrast, I know GURPS backwards and forwards from using it over roughly 17-18 years.

Quote from: Aether on January 11, 2009, 01:08:52 PMIronically I was looking at gurps 4th last night for an idea about what a technomancer would look like.  So your answer was perfect ;D  I am curious if there will be a rule system or any dice rolling?

At the risk of repeating myself ( :) ), I'm leaning heavily toward freeform, at the moment.

HairyHeretic

I wasn't suggesting it for rules, merely for a setting that has blended magic and technology, and as a possible template for your own background.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vandren

I'm not particularly concerned about how others have approached the magic meets technology aspect (in this particular situation; for my own fiction sure so I don't repeat too much, for my non-fiction perhaps in the future).  Could just as easily look at M:tA, Rifts, IOU, numerous Pyramid articles, Terri Windling's Borderland, even Eoin Colfer, Star Wars (the Force as magic), or Discworld. 

But that's all off-track from the purpose/point of my post and the thread, which is to see if there's any interest in the proposal outlined in the first post.  :)

(I'm not really planning on developing the setting myself, rather leaving it open for player development)

Voichin

You forgot WH40k, Vandren :) And Dune, to some extend.

Anyways, count me as interested. A shady academical character who doesn't mind people rumouring about him and students leaving the table, when he sits. Probably a perspective scholar in the military applications of sorcery.
Notable for bad manners and lack of empathy.

ONs and OFFs

Aether

Okay, free form it is!  But being familiar with GURPS, you have no problem with me trying to set up a framework for what my character will learn in school, college, and advance instruction?  As I mentioned, he would be interested in technomancy (if you allow of course ;) ) and manipulating energy.  I have an idea or three ;D bouncing around in my head.

Vandren

Sounds good, on all counts.  :)  That makes two interested.  I'd like at least four or five before actually setting anything up.