News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Civ II game played for TEN YEARS!

Started by Callie Del Noire, June 13, 2012, 11:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

http://imgur.com/a/rAnZs
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/

wow.. 10 years without resorting to cheat codes.. talk about serious determination. He's in a 3 way fight.. and has been for 1700 years. Woof.

Revolverman

Shjade

I wonder how regularly he plays it. Same game for ten years is slightly less impressive if he only boots it up once a month.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Revolverman on June 13, 2012, 02:37:12 PM
Ahhh, the AI in Civ 2.

Yup, it was EVIL above prince wasn't it? 

Quote from: Shjade on June 13, 2012, 02:58:06 PM
I wonder how regularly he plays it. Same game for ten years is slightly less impressive if he only boots it up once a month.

I know that it is very difficult for me to NOT play a game for hours on end.  I could see him playing it every once and a while like on weekends for HOURS. 

Will

He said that he only played it for an hour or so here and there.  But playing until 3990 is still pretty nuts.  He said he would play it for a while, beat up on the Vikings a little, then get frustrated at the stalemate and quit.

All he really needed to do was switch to a Fundamentalist government, quit trying to clean up the pollution, and go all out on the Vikings.  Then the Americans would be little trouble.  I'm kind of stunned that he let it go on this long, actually, still playing it with no purpose/progress.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Missy

Would you still recomend the older Civ games?

I enjoyed III and IV (until the disc on my four stopped working on me unexpicably *sadface*). I've not played V however, anyways how was II? Would you recommend it even after all this time?

Revolverman

I know alot of people still love it because it was before things like strategic resources, culture borders and flipping, and the fact you can send food from farm cities to more industrial ones.

Shjade

Quote from: Revolverman on June 13, 2012, 07:11:55 PM
the fact you can send food from farm cities to more industrial ones.

I was never a big Civ geek, myself, but even I noticed THAT feature being suspiciously absent. And it hurt. x.x
◕/◕'s

Will

Yeah, I would personally say that Civ II is the best of the series.  I never played 4, but 3 and 5 were just kinda decent imo.  Even though 5 is gorgeous.

I seem to recall Alpha Centauri was pretty good too, though.

- Jack Kerouac

Remiel

Alpha Centauri was my favorite in terms of story, and the ideological differences between the factions.  The only thing I hated about it was that, no matter how you played, eventually the mindworms would take over and you would either have to complete the Giant Hippie Project or die.

(edit) Yes, 5 is the best, graphically, although I really liked the 4:Beyond the Sword expansion.  Especially the Rhye's and Fall engine, which basically ran through the entire history of the world on a simulacrum of Earth and the events were scripted to, [noembed]more or less, [/noembed] follow the events of real history.

Inkidu

I would totally play II if they added culture, borders, and policies. Oh, and take away the stacks of doom. :D

I like V because IV was too dense. It wasn't necessarily complex, but it was a nightmarish tangle of interface and whatnot. Mainly though I like how terrain matters and that it's not exactly how much you bring to the party but what kinds of units. If you're smart you can tear up a whole battalion of horsemen with archers and spear-men if you know how to work the terrain. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Yeah, I was never a fan of the whole massive-death-stack mechanic either.

On the other hand, trying to move a massive army, or even a large group of civilian units, through a small area in 5 is extremely annoying since it won't let them stack at all. Really sucks when trying to do things like build a few roads through an area when your workers can't just pile on top of each other for a turn or two to stretch out in a thin line. -.-
◕/◕'s

Will

The stacks of doom were a pain in the ass, but my biggest beef with Civ 2 was actually the phenomenon of weak, outdated units managing to off modern ones.  It seemed to happen a lot. : /

- Jack Kerouac

Shjade

There was that, too, yes. That's my main dislike of Warlords 2 as well: random Hero deaths when fighting whatever. All the bonuses in the world, devils and wizards for an army and a dragon to round things out? Somehow still dies to mountain full of simple giants. :|
◕/◕'s

Hemingway

I read about this game. What was most striking about it to me wasn't how long it'd gone on, but how thoroughly depressing it all was. That's one seriously dystopic and ... eerily plausible future right there.

Shjade

Plausible except for repeatedly melting polar caps and constantly regenerating militaries. >.>

Nuclear war in the real world wouldn't last nearly that long.
◕/◕'s

Hemingway

I never said "realistic". ;D

I just mean in general terms, the deterioration of the environment, conflicts over scarce resources, pollution, and so on.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 15, 2012, 07:51:21 PM
I never said "realistic". ;D

I just mean in general terms, the deterioration of the environment, conflicts over scarce resources, pollution, and so on.
In the future, there is only war... :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 15, 2012, 08:18:23 PM
In the future, there is only war... :D

I think you mean "In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium, there is only war".

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 15, 2012, 08:26:09 PM
I think you mean "In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, there is only war".
Well... he wasn't actually in the 41st Millennium now was he? So I evoke without having to be literal. :P

You got it enough  to correct me. ;P

Shjade

I think you both mean, "War. War never changes."
◕/◕'s

Elias

Alpha Centauri is the only one I still play, and it remains a fav.

Am I the only optimist who sees an end to war within the next 1000 years? I mean there is already simple technologies that allows the cleaning of the dirtiest waters for 3rd world countries. Solar is having issues now but its inevitable making the war for energy a thing in the past, and the increase in food per acre is inevitable. People over all desire peace and if democracy spreads, so to will the spread of the ideals of peace. I mean thats very simplistic but the solutions are there.

Shjade

As long as religious and racial diversity still exist, and as long as there are people who want things that other people also want (note: this is different from meeting needs), there won't be an end to war. :|
◕/◕'s

Revolverman

Honestly, if we were serious about it, we have the tech to completely fix most of our environmental problems, without much loss to our standard of living.

Inkidu

Quote from: Revolverman on June 17, 2012, 05:11:36 PM
Honestly, if we were serious about it, we have the tech to completely fix most of our environmental problems, without much loss to our standard of living.
Cost efficiency rules the world. When it's cheaper to treat the water, there's not need to clean it. :\ It's not really a standard-of-living issue. It's an expense issue.