Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Josietta

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Josietta on March 02, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
I can't really get into online comics for some reason but I do like Order of the stick.

There are some good ones out there.. Girl Genius for example.

TentacleFan

My Pull List has shrunken of late. Anyone want to recommend some titles I might enjoy?

I have been shying away from the Big 2 more recently. (with the exception of the Dark Tower from Marvel which isn't part of their core books of course) I'd take some convincing to dabble into their series.

Currently I'm getting Dark Horse's Conan titles. Hack/Slash, Knights of the Dinner Table, Bomb Queen, and The Dark Tower comics.

From your recommendation Callie I'm considering looking into Atomic Robo, the trailer you posted looked interesting.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Callie Del Noire

Atomic Robo is.. (to date) five 'mini-series'. I found out about it from a freind, the writer did the 8 bit theater webcomic. The Atomic Robo site (http://www.atomic-robo.com/) has like 7 or so free comics.. including my ALL TIME favorite (Why Atomic Robo hates Dr. Dinosaur!)

The next series is a bit of a mix of eras. From what I can tell, the guys do a straight story line..then one that jumps over time (like the one that started with H P Lovecraft & Charles Fort (Shadow from Beyond Time, Series #3. Along the way you get to meet Carl Sagan. "When you return to your unobservable but empirically determined dimension of origin, tell them CARL SAGAN sent you!")

They are all good in my opinion. Jenkins, one of Tesladyne's associates is a running gag.. he's literally unstoppable. Vampires, agents from Majestic 12.. it all bows to the juggernaut that is Jenkins.)

Rinzler

^H P Lovecraft & Charles Fort???

Consider Atomic Robo well and truly bookmarked!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: DeMalachine on March 03, 2012, 01:24:44 PM
^H P Lovecraft & Charles Fort???

Consider Atomic Robo well and truly bookmarked!

And of course.. UNDEAD EDISON!

Rinzler

^colour me sold!

Coincidentally, I was just dipping into my Fort biography only this morning...

LunarSage

On a more indy bent...

So I'm trying to produce an independent comic book.  I have the art solidly underway and I'll be doing the writing... does anyone know how much I can expect to pay to do a minimal print run of the book (assuming 24 pages and cover)?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Chris Brady

Several factors:

What type of paper?  Glossy is expensive.  Is it Colour?  Also an expense to consider.  Acid free?  Another cost.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

LunarSage

I'd ideally like to make it as nice a comic as I can... so color, glossy and acid free.  I may end up discovering that such will be out of my price range for some time, but I was just curious.  I'm less interested in making a profit from it and more interested in just being able to say I published my own comic!  :-)

I would imagine that most printing companies have a minimum press run, as well.

LunarSage

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 01, 2012, 07:04:20 AM
We can't forget webcomics, now can we? I love:

My Life Without a Jetpack
Looking for Group
Romantically Apocalyptic

I like Order of the Stick as well... oh and Sluggy Freelance!  :-)

Callie Del Noire

RecklessRapscallion

Has anyone here read Transmetropolitan?
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

Jag

Okay, just finished reading the newest issue of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I must say...I am very upset. The idea used to be so clever and wonderful. I love the first volume. The second was even better and possibly the best. The first issue of Century 1910 was a nice follow up. Black Dossier was tolerable and made you wonder why the League fell apart the way it did and gave you so much information. Century 1960...can kiss my bum. I'm done with this series. As far as I'm concerned, the series was done after 1910 and Dossier simply gave us a nice ending (with the group going into the Blazing World).
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Rinzler

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 05, 2012, 02:37:27 PM
Okay, just finished reading the newest issue of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and I must say...I am very upset. The idea used to be so clever and wonderful. I love the first volume. The second was even better and possibly the best. The first issue of Century 1910 was a nice follow up. Black Dossier was tolerable and made you wonder why the League fell apart the way it did and gave you so much information. Century 1960...can kiss my bum. I'm done with this series. As far as I'm concerned, the series was done after 1910 and Dossier simply gave us a nice ending (with the group going into the Blazing World).

Hmmm...I loved the first two volumes, but I've never heard really great things about what followed.

Jag

Quote from: DeMalachine on March 05, 2012, 02:39:31 PM
Hmmm...I loved the first two volumes, but I've never heard really great things about what followed.

1910 was good. Not great. But it introduced a lot of new, interesting characters. Oliver Haddo, Orlando (currently a male at that time), Young Quartermain, Aleister Crowley, Nemo's daughter, Jack the Ripper, Thomas Carnacki, and so many others. It had so much potential to be as good as the first two volumes when Century was finished...but no. Instead of making one short story that spans a few weeks or months, they have decided to span 100 years in just three issues.

Alan Moore himself said, "...the basic institution of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be completely unrecognizable..."

If that's the case, then what is the point? The end of it made me so upset. There was no reason to do such things to characters that had so much potential (and no, they didn't kill them off or anything). Instead, they jumped ahead so many years that all the characters they had just introduced had died of old age and you hear nothing more about them. It was just awful. I will not be wasting my time with Century 2009.

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

That does sound like fairly appalling story-telling. You can't get invested in characters and then skip so much that they just... die. :-\ What's the point?
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on March 05, 2012, 02:47:52 PM
1910 was good. Not great. But it introduced a lot of new, interesting characters. Oliver Haddo, Orlando (currently a male at that time), Young Quartermain, Aleister Crowley, Nemo's daughter, Jack the Ripper, Thomas Carnacki, and so many others. It had so much potential to be as good as the first two volumes when Century was finished...but no. Instead of making one short story that spans a few weeks or months, they have decided to span 100 years in just three issues.

Alan Moore himself said, "...the basic institution of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be completely unrecognizable..."

If that's the case, then what is the point? The end of it made me so upset. There was no reason to do such things to characters that had so much potential (and no, they didn't kill them off or anything). Instead, they jumped ahead so many years that all the characters they had just introduced had died of old age and you hear nothing more about them. It was just awful. I will not be wasting my time with Century 2009.

The last one I saw was in the sixties.. is the next one out?

Rinzler

Alan Moore - Gawd bless 'im, I do luv 'im - but damn, he can get carried away with his own indulgences at times - often at the expense of the story.

I still submit that 'Tales of the Black Freighter' was a needless and annoying interruption to the otherwise excellent Watchmen narravative.

Jag

Moore also stated, about Century,: "I suppose that if there’s an overall moral to this third volume, it's 'Times change.' Invariably, throughout human history, that has been the lesson: 'Times change.'

And I think right now we’re going through a period of change, quite violent and rapidly, at least in my summation of the moment. And hopefully, the speeded-up view of the twentieth-century-to-present in this volume will feel quite appropriate."

So that seems to be his explanation for why they are doing it this way. Times change? Screw that. I want my Hyde back! And AJ Raffles!

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

Quote from: DeMalachine on March 05, 2012, 02:54:29 PM
Alan Moore - Gawd bless 'im, I do luv 'im - but damn, he can get carried away with his own indulgences at times - often at the expense of the story.

I still submit that 'Tales of the Black Freighter' was a needless and annoying interruption to the otherwise excellent Watchmen narravative.

Oh god, ditto. I skipped past that shit after realising it had no actual relevance to the plot. What a wank...

I love me some Hyde :P Right, Michi, right? *elbows and winks*
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Rinzler

^You know, I don't think Hyde was meant to be seen with that much affection. He was a rapist, after all. Though I admit, the bit where he ate the shit-scared Martian was classic! 'Welcome to England' - portending chav culture by about 100 years. :p

Jag

Quote from: ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut on March 05, 2012, 02:58:34 PM
I love me some Hyde :P Right, Michi, right? *elbows and winks*

*girlie giggles*

Quote from: DeMalachine on March 05, 2012, 03:03:39 PM
^You know, I don't think Hyde was meant to be seen with that much affection. He was a rapist, after all. Though I admit, the bit where he ate the shit-scared Martian was classic! 'Welcome to England' - portending chav culture by about 100 years. :p

Now, now...Hyde was very misunderstood. That bit about feeling Mina's heart and how it was beating so fast...she was the only woman he cared for and respected. Probably because she was the only woman that would have been able to tolerate him and put him in his place.

Nemo's line about how they did not know what feelings their enemy possessed, but he was sure Hyde showed them fear was awesome.

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

Quote from: DeMalachine on March 05, 2012, 03:03:39 PM

Dude, it's E. A bit of non-con is hardly going to scare us ^^
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As