Double Agents - OOC, Rules and Sign Up (Full!)

Started by Galactic Druid, August 30, 2013, 03:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

I don't intend to start this until after Saffron has her game off the ground at the very least, if not completed, but wanted to get the rules up and a general interest check. The goal here is to make a fun, mafia-game type experience that doesn't involve the death of players, making sure everyone has a chance to play the whole game through. While a theme really wouldn't be necessary, it would make the game a little more fun, and as always with the Mafia games seen on here, Roleplaying is more than welcome, but not necessary.

In order for this kind of game to work properly, I need two things; A small number of players, and an odd number, so that there won't be a chance for a vote on ties. Because of this, I'm going to need to have a strict limitation on players, minimum of 5, maximum of 11. The only fair way I can think to do this is a first come, first serve basis, so once the list is full, I'm afraid that will be it. If the game goes well, I'm sure I'll run it again, and in that event, I'll try and prioritize those that didn't get to play yet.

So how does this all work?

All of the players are part of a mob/espionage agency/Browncoat squad that is trying complete a series of jobs or missions. Some of the players, depending on the number, will be undercover cops/double agents/Alliance spies that have infiltrated the group's ranks, who are trying to keep the group from being successful in their endeavors.

The game is divided into 5 rounds. Each round, a team will be selected for a mission, which will end either in success of sabotage, depending on what the team selected tries to do. The 'good guys' win after three successes, whereas three sabotages earn victory for the spies. Each round is divided into three phases;

Team Selection Phase
At the beginning of each round, the GM will announce the mission for the round, and players will vote on a Team Leader to select the players that will be going on the mission. The mission itself is just flavor text, and should not impact voting decisions, or team selection. Once a leader is chosen, they will be given 24 hours (I may change this, depending on player preference) to discuss with other players and select the members for their team. The number of players needed for a team depends on the game round and number of players. For a 5 player game, rounds 1-5 will have teams of 2, 3, 2, 3, and 3 players, respectively. An 11 player game will have teams of 4, 4, 5, 5, and 6, 7 and 9 player games will be somewhere in the middle. Once the team leader has announced his choice for the team, the game will proceed to the Approval Phase.

In the following rounds, anyone who has already been chosen as team leader can not be chosen again until every player has had a chance to go.

Approval Phase
After a team has been selected, everybody playing will vote whether they approve or disapprove of the mission. If you think your team leader picked someone that's a spy, now's your chance to do something about it! Everyone will submit their vote of approval or denial in a PM to the GM, who will telly them up. If the mission is approved, it will be launched, and the game will proceed into the mission phase. If the mission is denied, the game goes back to the Team Selection Phase, a new leader is voted on, and a new team assembled.

If a round is ever denied 5 times in a row, the spies automatically win, so vote carefully!

Mission Phase
If the mission is approved, an announcement will be made in thread, and the mission launched. Each player on the team will be asked to submit an action to the GM, either success or sabotage, and the results will be displayed in the thread. Being a spy does not mean you have to vote for sabotage. Sometimes, it may be in your best interests to let a mission pass and be free of suspicion for later rounds, especially the fourth. It only takes one vote of sabotage for the mission to fail on rounds 1,-3 and 5. In round 4, it takes 2 sabotages to fail a mission. After the results of the mission are posted, the next mission is announced, and the next round begins until either all 5 are played out, or one side scores their third victory.

A note on communication.
Please try and keep all communication in the game thread. Spies are not allowed to coordinate via PM. Part of the risk of playing the spy is not knowing if your teammates are planning success or sabotage when working together until the revelation. Coordinating in the game thread is perfectly legal, if you think you can get away with giving your teammate a hint to your actions right under the other players noses, but sabotage-coordination PMs are off limits.

Once again, I don't intend to start this game until Saffron Stronghold has, at the very least, gotten off the ground and a few rounds in, Once the game is full and ready to go, I'll probably try to launch possibly next weekend. I'm looking forward to playing with all of you!

Player List
1. Aadreal
2. Ryven
3. Josietta
4. Professor James Moriarty
5. Remiel
6. Sasha
7. Yugi
8. Sunshine Sparkle
9. Lord Harketh
10. That Girl Analise
11. Mr. Bigglesworth
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Aadreal

I'm in!  I like the aspect of not communicating in PM.  Sounds like it will keep things quick and easy which is all I can handle right now.

Ryven

Galactic Druid

James Moriarty

Remiel

Sure, I'd be interested to participate in a Resistance type game as a player.

RPGuy, you may or may not know, but I've already run an iteration of this over on the Cardboard Heroes & Woody Bits forum.  I'd be happy to share with you what worked--and alternatively, what didn't work.

Also, as someone who is just discovering Firefly for the first time, can I say that Firefly sounds like  the perfect setting for a Resistance game?

Galactic Druid

Guilty as charged for where I got the core rules from, Remiel! I tried to adapt it from tabletop to forum as best I could, but I would be happy to hear any advice you have! I'll send you a PM!

Sasha

whooooo hooooooo ...... I want to play . Count me in ....Smiles .

Galactic Druid

I had someone ask in PM how I'm planning on choosing the spies, so I thought I'd share with everyone. I'm planning to roll a D12 and match the numbers I get to the sign up sheet, easy and fast.

yugi006

Sounds like that Resistance I saw on Tabletop. Sign me up.

SunshineSparkle

O&O    A&A    Avatars

Galactic Druid

Glad to have you guys, and thanks for signing up!

We've got 2 slots left!!

Josietta

* Josietta scribbles an Initial to confirm her residency here

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

That Girl Analise

Galactic Druid

Mr Bigglesworth

Galactic Druid

Galactic Druid

I'm really excited to see all the slots fill up so quickly! I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for signing up, and let you know that I'll probably start this either Wednesday or Thursday, since many of us are in both this and SS, and as I said, I don't want any of us to suffer from Mafia overload.

Thanks again for signing up everyone! This looks like an awesome group!

Galactic Druid

How do you guys feel about starting tomorrow evening? (Tomorrow being Wednesday. It's still today till I go to sleep!)

Josietta

I'll be checking in by mobile but I'm good to go and hope my net is turned on tomorrow!

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Galactic Druid

While trying to pick out roles, I rolled a 12 on my D12 (the one slot that doesn't have anyone) 3 times. Why can't I roll like this when I'm playing Pathfinder and actually want 12s?

Galactic Druid

James Moriarty

Guy, do you typically enforce the 'try not to update game threads' rule?  I.e. try not to make modifications after the fact?

Galactic Druid

If you've got a typo or something you really want to correct, go right ahead. I'm trusting you guys not to edit anything important. If you want to change your vote to someone else, then I'd really encourage a new post.

Sasha

So glad I popped into E tonight .....smiles .  Forgive my late posting ...I have been under the weather for the last week . I feeling better now though ...so ...ummm ....yea ....ready to explore the new game.  Hugs to all ...with a little extra fondle as I am craving chocolate . Hopefully I can make off with a candy bar or something anyways .   :P