Sense 8 Idea [Interest Check, Looking for GM, Open to Ideas]

Started by Flower, November 01, 2015, 06:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

This is my first time posting here sooo forgive me if it isn't exactly proper. I would really love to see how a Sense 8 game would pan out on E. However, I am not really into GMing.

I'm just going to put this here and see if someone is interested in running it. Whomever decides to run it can make changes as they see fit. This idea is clay in need of molding. Especially since it needs a lovely plot to go with the setting.

Love is not something we wind up
Something we set or control
Love is just like art
A force that comes into our lives
Without any rules, expectations or limitations
Love like art
Must always be free
—Hernando

Available Archetypes

One of the most wonderful aspect of a cluster of sensates is their different experiences and backgrounds, linking completely different people together to eventually depend and learn how to work with one another. To ensure the same experience is reflected within the game, we have included popular archetypes found in media to fill our ranks. If certain type of character is not listed below, please ask if it is permissible or not and we will certainly let you know.

• The Innocent - [Open]

Within each of us, the Innocent is the spontaneous, trusting child that, while a bit dependent, has the optimism to take the journey. The Innocent, fearing abandonment, seeks safety. Their greatest strength is the trust and optimism that endears them to others and so gain help and support on their quest. Their main danger is that they may be blind to their obvious weaknesses or perhaps deny them. They can also become dependent on others to fulfill their heroic tasks.

Evidenced in a capacity for denial so that you do not let yourself know what is really going on. You may be hurting yourself and others, but you will not acknowledge it. You may also be hurt, but you will repress that knowledge as well. Or, you believe what others say even when their perspective is directly counter to your own inner knowing.

• The Orphan | [Open]

The Orphan understands that everyone matters, just as they are. Down-home and unpretentious, it reveals a deep structure influenced by the wounded or orphaned child that expects very little from life, but that teaches us with empathy, realism, and street smarts. The Orphan, fearing exploitation, seeks to regain the comfort of the womb and neonatal safety in the arms of loving parents. To fulfill their quest they must go through the agonies of the developmental stages they have missed. Their strength is the interdependence and pragmatic realism that they had to learn at an early age. A hazard is that they will fall into the victim mentality and so never achieve a heroic position.

• Regular Guy or Gal | [Open]

The everyman character archetype often acts as the stand-in for the audience. This character archetype is just a normal person, but for some reason, he or she must face extraordinary circumstances. The everyman can be the protagonist or a supporting figure. Unlike the hero, the everyman does not feel a moral obligation to his or her task; instead, these characters often find themselves in the middle of something they have barely any control over. Unlike the hero, the everyman archetype isn't trying to make a great change or work for the common good: these characters are just trying to get through a difficult situation.

• The Hero/Warrior | [Open]

When everything seems lost the Hero/Warrior rides over the hill and saves the day. Tough and courageous, this archetype helps us set and achieve goals, overcome obstacles, and persist in difficult times, although it also tends to see others as enemies and to think in either/or terms. The Hero/Warrior is relatively simple in their thought patterns, seeking simply to win whatever confronts them, including the dragons that live inside the mind and their underlying fear of weakness. Their challenge is to bring meaning to what they do, perhaps choosing their battles wisely, which they do using courage and the warrior's discipline.

• The Caregiver | [Open]

The Caregiver is an altruist, moved by compassion, generosity, and selflessness to help others. Although prone to martyrdom and enabling behaviors, the inner Caregiver helps us raise our children, aid those in need, and build structures to sustain life and health. Caregivers first seek to help others, which they do with compassion and generosity. A risk they take is that in their pursuit to help others they may end up being harmed themselves. They dislike selfishness, especially in themselves, and fear what it might make them.

• The Explorer | [Open]

The Seeker leaves the known to discover and explore the unknown. This inner rugged individual braves loneliness and isolation to seek out new paths. Often oppositional, this iconoclastic archetype helps us discover our uniqueness, our perspectives, and our callings. Seekers are looking for something that will improve their life in some way, but in doing so may not realize that they have much already inside themselves. They embrace learning and are ambitious in their quest and often avoid the encumbrance of support from others. Needing to 'do it themselves', they keep moving until they find their goal (and usually their true self too).

• The Rebel | [Open]

Stands opposed to the status quo and fights for his cause

• The Destroy | [Open]

The Destroyer embodies repressed rage about structures that no longer serve life even when these structures still are supported by society or by our conscious choices. Although this archetype can be ruthless, it weeds the garden in ways that allow for new growth. The Destroyer is a paradoxical character whose destructiveness reflects the death drive and an inner fear of annihilation. As a fighter, they are thus careless of their own safety and may put others in danger too. Their quest is to change, to let go of their anger or whatever force drives them and return to balance, finding the life drive that will sustain them. Living on the cusp of life and death, they are often surprisingly humble.

• The Lover | [Open]

The Lover archetype governs all kinds of love—from parental love, to friendship, to spiritual love—but we know it best in romance. Although it can bring all sorts of heartache and drama, it helps us experience pleasure, achieve intimacy, make commitments, and follow our bliss. The Lover seeks the bliss of true love and the syzygy of the divine couple. They often show the passion that they seek in a relationship in their energy and commitment to gaining the reciprocal love of another. They fear both being alone and losing the love that they have gained, driving them to constantly sustain their love relationships.

• The Creator | [Open]

The Creator archetype fosters all imaginative endeavors, from the highest art to the smallest innovation in lifestyle or work. Adverse to stasis, it can cause us to overload our lives with constant new projects; yet, properly channeled, it helps us express ourselves in beautiful ways. Creators, fearing that all is an illusion, seek to prove reality outside of their minds. A critical part of their quest is in finding and accepting themselves, discovering their true identity in relation to the external world.

• The Jester | [Open]

The Jester archetype urges us to enjoy the process of our lives. Although the Jester can be prone to laziness and dissipation, the positive Fool/Jester invites us all out to play--showing us how to turn our work, our interactions with others, and even the most mundane tasks into FUN. The goal of the Jester is perhaps the wisest goal of all, which is just to enjoy life as it is, with all its paradoxes and dilemmas. What causes most dread in the Jester is a lack of stimulation and being 'not alive'. They must seek to 'be', perhaps as the Sage, but may
    not understand this.

• The Sage | [Open]

The Sage archetype seeks the truths that will set us free. Especially if the Sage overcomes the temptation of dogma, it can help us become wise, to see the world and ourselves objectively, and to course-correct based on  objective analyses of the results of our actions and choices. The Sage is a seeker after truth and enlightenment and journeys far in search of the next golden nugget of knowledge. The danger for the sage and their deep fear is that their hard-won wisdom is built on the sand of falsehood. Their best hope is that they play from a position of objective honesty and learn to see with a clarity that knows truth and untruth.

What is a Sensate?
*taken from Sense8 Wiki

A Sensate is a person who maintains a telepathic and empathetic connection with other sensates within their cluster. Clusters are usually composed of eight people. On some occasions, sensates have proved capable of having the same connection with sensates who are not specifically a part of their cluster. Their connection allows them to share each other’s knowledge and skills, amongst other traits picked up throughout their lives. The members of a cluster, regardless of the physical distance between them, are all born on the same day in the same moment. Sensates have two birthdays. The first is when they are physical born while the second is when they are reborn as sensates. A cluster’s connection is activated during their second birth. When members of a cluster have been reborn, they experience discomfort, usually in the form of a severe migraine for an extended period of time.

Abilities

When a cluster’s link has been activated, three main abilities manifest within the sensates. These abilities are visiting, sharing, and their psychic link with each other.

Psychic Link

Their psychic link connection starts out as a sensory input, meaning one sensate hears or tastes (or any of the other five senses) something another sensate within their cluster is experiencing. Gradually, their link strengthens to the point where they feel each other’s thoughts, emotions, and even memories at times. At this point, a sensate can then access their fellow cluster-mates skills to assist them in times of need.

Visiting

Visiting happens when sensates mentally communicate with each other. Sensates are mentally transported from their physical location to wherever their cluster-mate might be located. Distance is irrelevant. Visiting is done instinctively with the other members of one’s cluster but can also be done with other sensates outside of their cluster. However, visiting a non-cluster member requires eye-to-eye contact to be made before the action can be completed. When visiting, sensates can access any of the five senses through a fellow sensate, allowing them to perceive the world around them through their eyes. This also permits physical contact with each other. Although the sensate is visible to their cluster-mate, they are not visible to others which may lead to some awkward situations. It is not possible to visit a sensate if they are heavily sedated, drugged, or unconscious. Keep in mind though that visiting is possible when a sensate is asleep.

Sharing

Sharing is when a sensate access the knowledge, language, or skills of another sensate. Sharing is only done inside the cluster. In the case of skills, sharing allows a sensate to physically control a fellow sensate.

Caela

Oooo...loved this show on Netflix...would very much be interested in such a game.

Niferbelle

I'm about to start a new game so I couldn't GM it but I'd love to see a game get off the ground.

VioletPanda

I have not GMed before, but I'd love to give it a go! :) This sounds like a great place to start from. Would you guys like me to fill in one of these 8 roles or simply play a GM kind of role?
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Flower

Whichever role you prefer! :) I wouldn't mind if you GMed it.

VioletPanda

As I think it may be difficult to simply GM and throw things at you guys, I'd like to take one of the 8 roles listed above so I can help Guide this in a more organic way.

I'd like the Caregiver, If that is okay with everyone. I'll of course choose another if someone already had that in mind. I think it will be a good way to help your characters meet up and learn more about their new abilities safely.

To that end, would you guys like to do precludes or something? It's not needed,  as this isn't a system game, but I've found its very fun to do a sort of 'day in the life'  kind of thing to set the scene for the start of a group role play.

I haven't watched the series, but is there a common event that binds these 8 people together, or is it sort of random?

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Flower

They all typically have the same birthday if I remember correctly. Otherwise, everything about them is pretty unique.

Caela

Quote from: Flower on November 09, 2015, 07:24:56 PM
They all typically have the same birthday if I remember correctly. Otherwise, everything about them is pretty unique.

Same birthday down to the minute. As I recall, no matter what timezone the are in, everyone within a sensate grouping is to have taken their first breath at the exact same moment.

Niferbelle

Quote from: VioletPanda on November 09, 2015, 07:22:01 PM
As I think it may be difficult to simply GM and throw things at you guys, I'd like to take one of the 8 roles listed above so I can help Guide this in a more organic way.

I'd like the Caregiver, If that is okay with everyone. I'll of course choose another if someone already had that in mind. I think it will be a good way to help your characters meet up and learn more about their new abilities safely.

To that end, would you guys like to do precludes or something? It's not needed,  as this isn't a system game, but I've found its very fun to do a sort of 'day in the life'  kind of thing to set the scene for the start of a group role play.

I haven't watched the series, but is there a common event that binds these 8 people together, or is it sort of random?

I think it would be fine if you took one of the roles. I know when I run a game I have NPCs galore but I also have a character that's sort of my character so I can have fun in the game too.

Caeli's right, they were all eight born at the exact same moment. Is there anyting else about the show you'd like to be filled in on?

One of the things that made the show so good I think is that each character had something going on their lives that was pretty dramatic. So not only was the show about them reallizing what was happening and coming together but also how they worked through their own problems with the help of the other sensates. The situations ranged from violence and incarceration to wedding second thoughts and the fear of being outed. Each thing was of key importance to that character though and so became important to the others. I brought that up because you mentioned preludes and I think that would be an important step to establishing all the plots.

VioletPanda

How does it begin? That is to say, what triggers the second rebirth and the headaches.  Oh, and being born at the same time allows for year gaps, correct? They just all need to be born at say, 5:27 am?

I was going to use my character to kind of get the group together if that is alright. Where would you guys like this placed on the board?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered- I just got home from work and done with a test. Brain is kinda fried :)

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Caela

Quote from: VioletPanda on November 09, 2015, 08:26:48 PM
   How does it begin? That is to say, what triggers the second rebirth and the headaches.  Oh, and being born at the same time allows for year gaps, correct? They just all need to be born at say, 5:27 am?

I was going to use my character to kind of get the group together if that is alright. Where would you guys like this placed on the board?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered- I just got home from work and done with a test. Brain is kinda fried :)

Nope, no gaps. They are literally all born at the exact same moment. The only reason their birth certificates would look different is time zones.

As for placement...not fussy on my end. :)

So, how old do we want to be??

Niferbelle

Quote from: VioletPanda on November 09, 2015, 08:26:48 PM

My brain is always a little fried :P

I'm a little selfish. I would like it if those of us who have been following the thread could make our characters first and then we post it to fill the remaining spots >.> But I'd be fine with posting it right away if that's what everyone wants to do.

The second rebirth/headache was actually started by someone who was not one of the 8. She was discovered by the 'bad guys' and before she committed suicide, she initiated the link. They all had a vision of her when it happened. In the days after is when the connection slowly started to build.

We should find a nice chart with a world timezone chart. I'm not sure if you knew Panda but the sensates were from all over the world - Africa, Korea, Iceland, US, etc.

VioletPanda

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Nice World Map ^^

I think I need to watch some of the series- it doesn't make much sense to me that all this was started by someone who was not one of the 8. How could they have initiated it without a connection? And while I haven't watched it, I'd seen commercials and had gathered it was from other countries :)

If you all would like, I can make the OOC and post a link here for you guys. We can do a prelude thing once those interested come up with a concept. And talk about how you guys would like to set up the posting so that everything works well together.

Since I'm not sure where this will end up, I'm going to put it in Non-Con just in case. We can always ask for it to be moved later on if need be.

My A/A PageMy O/Os

VioletPanda

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239460.0

Here we are, guys! Sorry if I jumped the gun a bit.

And that character isn't who I was going to play as the Caregiver, just some late night creative ramblings. I like doing that with OOC threads- makes it more exciting, I think.
Hope you like! :)

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Caela

Quote from: VioletPanda on November 10, 2015, 03:34:20 AM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Nice World Map ^^

I think I need to watch some of the series- it doesn't make much sense to me that all this was started by someone who was not one of the 8. How could they have initiated it without a connection? And while I haven't watched it, I'd seen commercials and had gathered it was from other countries :)

If you all would like, I can make the OOC and post a link here for you guys. We can do a prelude thing once those interested come up with a concept. And talk about how you guys would like to set up the posting so that everything works well together.

Since I'm not sure where this will end up, I'm going to put it in Non-Con just in case. We can always ask for it to be moved later on if need be.

I don't remember the exact details, but my impression (and keep in mind this is 5am ramblings so I may need correcting!) was that she was able to initiate the link because she was a part of her own sensate circle and possibly related to one of the sensates in the circle she was activating when she died.

CurvyKitten

Bookmarking for when I don't have a head ache~ WOOOO new shiny!

VioletPanda

My A/A PageMy O/Os