News:

Main Menu

Terminator Franchise.

Started by Lustful Bride, November 26, 2014, 03:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on January 16, 2015, 12:14:30 PM
I thought the medieval Terminator thing was going to turn into something about Assassin's Creed. Don't really know why...

It would explain the character's insane parkour abilities with regard to buildings, yet amazing inability to climb a tree.  (Robotics are heavy!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Well, Terminators are supposed to be robotic assassins...

Actually, that could make for a pretty cool trailer. Hooded figure, white costume, double daggers and all that, walking towards a huge army. Make it look like an Assassin's Creed game right up to the end when the 'assassin' looks up and you see a Terminator skull underneath the hood instead.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 16, 2015, 01:50:09 PM
Well, Terminators are supposed to be robotic assassins...

Actually, that could make for a pretty cool trailer. Hooded figure, white costume, double daggers and all that, walking towards a huge army. Make it look like an Assassin's Creed game right up to the end when the 'assassin' looks up and you see a Terminator skull underneath the hood instead.

M. Night Shamaylan  would be screaming like a fan girl towards that twist lol.

Personally it is a good point though why not explore other time periods? I thought doing a movie concerning the future where we actually get to see the war would be cool. Though Salvation didn't live up to the expectations it was a change. Sadly however now a days if you want to do classic franchise everyone has to REBOOT it instead of REVIVING it.

Back when Doctor Who was coming back several people came forward with ideas concerning how to reboot the franchise and start all over again. Instead BBC went with Russel T. Davis idea. Instead RTD resumed the show after a certain amount of time has passed and still made changes to the franchise without erasing the previous continuity which would have made old fans angry. Sure a lot of franchises aren't as flexible as Doctor Who is. That can't stop you though from actually using your head and adding to franchise instead of erasing it and starting over.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Uebelator

I hate the trailer for Genisys (or however you write that crappy wordplay).

Somehow they managed to make even the grimdark battlefields of the future look like an 80s disco.
And Arnold? Seriously? Please find yourself a nice retirement home and stay there. Your action-days are more than over.

And why the hell is Skynet having such a goddamn fetish about Sarah Connor? Yes, she´s the mother of dragons John Connor, leader of the rebellion, but why not go back and kill her fucking parents?

Yeah, Daenaerys as the young Sarah Connor is cast pretty well, but *sigh* why do they have to have a young Sarah Connor in the first place?

For me Terminator wasnt so much about time travel or about saving the future. For me it was about man vs. machine. Being chased by this relentless killer that wont stop until youre dead. Why not send a Termintor back to the 30s to kill John Connors great granddad?

This whole trailer somehow looks to me like it was made for some crappy TV show, but then again... There hasnt been a decent Terminator movie since the second one, so its fits into that line pretty well.

Sabby

Quote from: Uebelator on February 04, 2015, 07:43:30 AMAnd why the hell is Skynet having such a goddamn fetish about Sarah Connor? Yes, she´s the mother of dragons John Connor, leader of the rebellion, but why not go back and kill her fucking parents?

Probably the same reason we don't have Beowolf as a reprogrammed Terminator defending Johns viking ancestors from a T-Infinity (Yes, that's a thing, look it up). The further you go back in time, the more events will be changed by the intervention. They're not going to send a nuke back in a giant testicle to ensure Sarah is killed, and they're not going to kill Johns grandparents, because they put Skynets own creation at risk.

...which makes sense at first glance, sure, but the Terminator has never been a subtle killer. I don't think it's on the level of Los Angeles suddenly vaporizing, but I'm pretty sure a man walking into a police station with a security camera system and briskly striding through point blank gunfire would have stronger effects on the timeline then just silently breaking Grandpa Connors neck in his sleep.

CaptainNexus616

Hence why Terminators always screw up. They are never subtle, the minute they see John Connor they start pulling out big guns and shoot.  If they wanted to be efficient they should send one back as a double agent. "Hey I'm here to protect yo- fist through the chest!" But Iguess they ccan't help it since they are designed to kill on site to begin with. Just need to do some work on infiltration units.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Sabby

That's the worst part, Terminators aren't just stupid shock troopers who shoot on sight. The ones in the intro are, sure, but infiltration units are so lifelike and believable that they've had spouses in the course of their missions. Yes, people in the future timeline have hooked up with Terminators. They are that convincing. It's the whole reason dogs are used to sniff them out. There's no reason why a Terminator can't steal a UPS uniform and come to Sarahs door with a silenced pistol and just quietly end the war. A back ally hitman could do the job better.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on February 04, 2015, 09:03:32 AM
There's no reason why a Terminator can't steal a UPS uniform and come to Sarahs door with a silenced pistol and just quietly end the war. A back ally hitman could do the job better.

And has.  The James Sullivan case involved a guy hiring a hitman to pose as a flower-deliveryman to kill his ex-wife before the divorce settlement.  Took years to tie it all together, and while the case was eventually solved, that doesn't make much difference as far as 'possibly giving birth to a rebel leader' is concerned.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

Because, ya know, an unexplained assassination on an unremarkable civilian may impair the development of Cyberdyne in the next decade or so.

Sabby

After rewatching the trailer, I'm still hopeful, but damn, Terminators shouldn't be rendered on a computer. Watch the trailer and at 23 seconds, look at how that Terminator moves. That just looks... wrong. The Terminators shown in the opening battle of T1 and T2 have these slow, deliberate, stilted movements. That slow head turn still terrifies me. If they must CG the Terminators, at least try and mimic the original feel. A soldier in a mocap suit being told to shoot at an imaginary target... just... no.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Sabby on February 08, 2015, 01:19:25 PM
After rewatching the trailer, I'm still hopeful, but damn, Terminators shouldn't be rendered on a computer. Watch the trailer and at 23 seconds, look at how that Terminator moves. That just looks... wrong. The Terminators shown in the opening battle of T1 and T2 have these slow, deliberate, stilted movements. That slow head turn still terrifies me. If they must CG the Terminators, at least try and mimic the original feel. A soldier in a mocap suit being told to shoot at an imaginary target... just... no.

Same, I miss the stop motion/ Model versions of the TErminators...VG ones are just too shiny aqnd lack the sense of weight the older ones had.

Sabby

I'm fine with the shininess, and even motion capture, just don't make them move like humans. Make them move like Jason Vorhees in a rusty full body medical brace.

CaptainNexus616

When you mention the whole movement thing I can't help but think back on how the old Robocop use to move. Sorry off topic I know.

TheGlyphstone

...Damn, Arnold's gotten OLD. That man has no business doing action movies anymore.

Drake Valentine

They were actually rebooting it? I thought that was a joke. >.>

Guess that time I went back in time to save the franchise didn't work. ;/

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 08, 2015, 03:33:56 PM
...Damn, Arnold's gotten OLD. That man has no business doing action movies anymore.

Well Arnold was planning on returning to acting after his term as Governor was over. To be fair I think its running a bit longer than he originally intended and that's due to the mess he was involved in a few years back. Having an affair with his house maid and fathering a son with her. Who knows what his wife took as compensation when they separated. Arnold knows that despite his age if someone wants to bring him in for even just a cameo they will fork out some money.

It's the whole reason why Ric Flair is still appearing on wrestling. The guy may be a legend but he needs money from all of his divorces.

Sabby

I just rewatched T2. I thought maybe I wouldn't cry this time. Nope. Cried like a bitch.

Inkidu

I'd have agreed with you as a teenager, but as an adult the movie has really dated itself with Edward Furlong's totally-radical stuff, and I can't really take his acting seriously. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Hard to sound radical when you have the voice of a 10 year old Hispanic girl xD

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on February 10, 2015, 08:52:26 AM
Hard to sound radical when you have the voice of a 10 year old Hispanic girl xD
Not gonna' lie, I couldn't breath for a few seconds.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on February 10, 2015, 04:18:50 AM
I just rewatched T2. I thought maybe I wouldn't cry this time. Nope. Cried like a bitch.

Regardless of the quality of the rest of the movie, that one scene was about as poignant a goodbye as I've seen since E.T.  ('I'll be right... here.')

Uebelator

Really? I mean, the goodbye scene was good and dramatic, but even as a 14 year old, I cringed at the thumbs up-thing. That and the "I know now why you cry"-quote was just too much frosting on the cake.
Seriously? That guy is a fucking killer-robot from the future and suddenly he gets all weepy? Thats just wrong.

Sabby

That's actually explained in a deleted scene. Infiltration units have the ability to learn, but it's restricted by default, to keep Terminators from developing independent thoughts. In the deleted scene, Sarah and John remove the T-800's CPU and remove the learning inhibitor. That's why he's able to grasp human emotions and the significance of a thumbs up.

Uebelator

Its still wrong for me. He´s a machine and he acts strictly logical. I never pictured Skynet as being emotional in any way, but if a normal Terminator can learn emotions, than the big bad boss should probably be able to do that as well.

And if that means, that Skynet didnt start the war, because it was the most logical step to wipe out humanity, but because of some hurt feelings because some developer didnt apply the latest update on schedule, I think that kinda sucks. ;)

Sabby

Emotions can be understood logically. The T-800 didn't say he was feeling the need to cry, only that he knew why John was crying. Skynet, on the other hand, feels emotions, and one of those is paranoia, which is why it limits all other A.I.s learning capacity.