Three Kingdoms (medieval fantasy; spin-off of kittenchan) [NC-H]

Started by Vandren, May 26, 2009, 03:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

Ok, this started out as kittenchan's idea, but ran into issues with her RL time.  So, with her permission, I've grabbed the idea and run with it.  So, here's the basic outline and quick write-up:

Premise -- There are three nations within the important part of our target continent.  To the east is a very religious and fairly technologically developed kingdom.  To the west is their greatest rival, a magocratic kingdom ruled by in-bred nobles.  Between them: a forest, a sea, and an island barony that acts as a neutral meeting ground for negotiations and such.

Outline:

Valeria
- Capital: Mintand
- Eastern kingdom focused on technological development and religion
--- Printing press, excellent steel (no gunpowder, yet)
- Multiple kings with a High King elected from among their number (usually hereditary)

Akand
- Capital: Tavolesra
- Western kingdom focused on magic
- Magocratic monarchy; “evil”
--- Common to marry cousins and siblings among the nobility; inbreeding common

Trakun
- Capital: Trakun, City of Canals
- Island nation in the Inner Sea
- Technically a barony
- Living as traders, pirates, and neutral territory between Valeria and Akand

Between Valeria and Akand
- The Inner Sea (home of Trakun), average ship can cross the Sea in two or three days; about a day from either mainland to Trakun
- Cirian Forest, along the northern shore of the Sea, unclaimed wilderness territory bordering both lands

Races
- Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Halflings; half-breeds of all are possible.
- stick to basics with all four, I don't see a need for "sub-races", at least for the time being

Religion
- obviously priests hold a lot of clout in Valeria, not so much in Akand
- pantheons in all cases (figure shared pantheon between the nations); open for creation as necessary
- I'd prefer that divine spellcasting not exist, but am open to discussion on that point.

Desired Characters
- Valeria: High King, royal court, diplomats, warriors, spies, etc.
- Akand: King/Queen (mage on both), royal court, diplomats, warriors, spies, etc.
- Trakun: Baron, court, captains, diplomats, spies, merchants, etc.

As far as character notes go, the rulers and members of the three courts would have some burden of plot creation, based on their character motivations, of course.  I'd see my moderating role as filling in major NPCs, ensuring that OOC disputes remain civil, and ensuring that uber-characters aren't included.

Thus, a few simple rules:
1) No god-moding - e.g. posting the actions/thoughts of another player's character; posting for mooks or red shirts (nameless or otherwise expendable NPCs) is fine.

2) No powergaming (a.k.a. munchkining) - i.e. no god characters, no 24 yr. olds who've held every job in creation, etc.  Every character has at least one weakness.

3) Run all characters by the Mod for approval before posting.

4) No limit to the number of players, although it would be a good idea to limit to a max of 3 characters per player for the time being.

Any interest?  I hope there's some since kittenchan's original idea had a fair amount before implosion.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vandren

Since they've PM-ed, I've been contacted by two interested people (Hunter and Kittenchan).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Hunter

PhantomPistoleer

I guess that I will play as the Heir Apparent, the Prodigal son of Akand, Prince Regent of Valeria and Knight of the Holy Order of ______ .

I suppose that I will have to give you a character sheet.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Vandren

Sounds good.

What say we use something like this as a general profile:

Name
Race:
Nation:
Role: (inc. titles)

Notable Talents/Skills:
Notable Flaws/Weaknesses:

Description: (appearance, notable features, even psych)

Background: (brief is fine)

Other: (inc. say magic items and/or special gear)

GS3XXAristo

I'm interested in being either a merchant or diplomat from Trakun. I'll PM you a character sheet soon, outlining both characters.

Duchess

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on May 26, 2009, 07:14:32 PM
I guess that I will play as the Heir Apparent, the Prodigal son of Akand, Prince Regent of Valeria and Knight of the Holy Order of ______ .

I suppose that I will have to give you a character sheet.

how you can be a prodigal son of one kingdom and regent prince to an other??

meaning you own both

by the way i want dips on Akand, so mister we have a problem there

Vandren

This is true.  I'd taken it as the "Prodigal" bit referred to him hanging out in Akand while being the prince of Valeria . . . however that could be a hostage situation.  And your interpretation makes more sense (I overthought it to make it work somehow ;) ).

Here's a quick question:

I have two options for setting things up in terms of forum . . .

1) Start up threads in NC-H Small Games

or

2) Start up threads in a long defunct NC-E board that I used to use.

Any preferences?

Duchess

NC-H small games

why would u use a defunct board? don't know how many ppl it will attract but than again  having our own board would be cool.

wait see how many ppl apply for this...

Night Walker

I'm interested, not sure about my character at all yet though

LadyDiscord

Join my village and make money.
✔✦✘

PhantomPistoleer

Ha ha ha.  Sorry about that.  Initially, I thought that Akand was the good King/Queen.  I meant that he is the son of the current King/Queen of Valeria, and is a likely candidate to be King one day.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Creeper

I've got an idea for a halfling low queen of Valeria. Are all the monarchy hereditary or can some be given the status through economical/religious power?
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Vandren

I've set up OOC and Character Profile threads.

Quotewhy would u use a defunct board?

I'm not a big fan of wasting good space.  :)  But I may have something else that fills that board in teh future anyway.

QuoteI've got an idea for a halfling low queen of Valeria. Are all the monarchy hereditary or can some be given the status through economical/religious power?

Hadn't thought about it.  With Valeria's sub-kingdoms, I'd imagine each would have its own rules.  I kind of thought of Valeria's political system as being akin to the later Holy Roman Empire/early modern Germany - an alliance of smaller independent kingdoms under an elected emperor/high king.  Of course, this often means that the best person for the job doesn't necessarily get it, with the person whose least offensive to the most kings, or the most easily manipulated, being the chosen one.  But hiccups do happen.  ;)

Creeper

I sort of wanted to work her in as a industry baroness of one of those small independent kingdoms that seized the throne of her kingdom through multiple monopolies, framing the past ruler from some crime and sheer economical influence. Would that be feasable?
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Vandren

Sounds fine to me.  I've purposely left only skeleton development on each region to allow for players to be creative (so long as we're all aware of some continuity).

LadyDiscord

I think I would like to take the role of a Trakun Pirate Lord(ess) who makes a living off of illegal trades between nations. Would that be ok? Sort of like Sinbad or Jack Sparrow..
Join my village and make money.
✔✦✘

Vandren

Anything's fine with me, so long as there's some balance and sanity in terms of power levels.  :)

Kittenchan

I still want to make my stolen character of the royal court idea happen...     o.o;;;

To make it easy; Duchess my dear would you gladly do the honors of having my character captured?

You know you have found the purrrfect one when every gesture is affectionate. >^.^<

How many kids with ADD does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Wanna go ride bikes?

Kitten's Ons and Offs

Bayushi

Quote from: Vandren on May 26, 2009, 03:27:57 PM- I'd prefer that divine spellcasting not exist, but am open to discussion on that point.

Thanks for crushing my character concept. >:(

Vandren

Quote from: Akiko on May 29, 2009, 06:40:09 PM
Thanks for crushing my character concept. >:(

Okaay . . . two things: 1) note that I stated, "am open to discussion on that point" and 2) how exactly is that concept "crushed"?  Modified slightly, perhaps.  Crushed, not so much.   :-\

(Just updated the OOC Discussion thread with a brief thing on magic)

Night Walker

Sorry folks, but I have to bow out of this. I started my own RP project lately that is starting to really eat into my time.

Best of luck to you all, maybe if my own RP world calms down I can come back and join in yours, provided you are still allowing people in of course.

Vandren

No worries, NW.  I think it'll always be open to more people, so long as it runs.  :)

jilorbb

Vandren

Quote from: jilorbb on June 02, 2009, 02:03:18 AM
I'd be interesting in joining this one.  :-)

. . . it's already going.  We're just awaiting character profiles (at least one more) before starting up IC.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=37881.0 - Characters
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=37880.0 - OOC