Return of the Mad King [D&D 5th ed. Open... Again!]

Started by Inkidu, September 15, 2014, 07:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Welcome to the World of Eternal Winter

The thirteen-hundredth year of the Glorious Age. The War of the Crying Blossom has been over for thirteen centuries, but even the short memories of mankind remember the oppression at the hands of the Mad King of the Arboreal Elves. The New Centria Empire has become the dominant force in the continent of Gloriana if not the world; united under the religion of St. Bellia the theocracy of New Centria looks out over the Old Empire Wall to reclaim the frontier. Each day caravans ply the snows, most seeking the traditional way of horse and sleigh-ship over the leviathans of artifice and magic dubbed drift ships.

Despite being a land of ice and snow life teems from the cities, forests, and mountains of Alabastra. From the treetop homes of the Lethiate Elves to the mountain forges of the Deep Dwarves in Corvis the world is large and filed with peril and adventure. Ancient cities, deep hordes of gold and ancient artifacts, and deep, abiding evils...

What I'm looking for:

-4 to 6 players
-People content with a Bon-E rating
-People comfortable with males playing female and vice versa
-A pretty even gender distribution
-A focus on story over sex.
-Alabastra's various peoples has no real stigmas against homosexuality, there's a place for it in the coded character profile.
-Probably the most important: A desire to at least reference a large, large, large body of setting details. I'll make it easy to access, but don't be afraid of the setting.

Game Rules:

We're running this on point-buy: 27 points (normally I'd give you a little extra, but as this is my first ever 5th ed game I want to see some shakeout before I go messing around too much.)

Ability Score Point Cost

Score/Cost
8 0pts
9 1pts
10 2pts
11 3pts

12 4pts
13 5pts
14 7pts
15 9pts

In general no feats. Unless all your ability scores somehow reach twenty naturally then you can take a feat.

Starting Wealth: Do as the book demands. You can take the starting gear or roll your gold and send me the rolls.

DM Policy: I am a very hands-off DM, I rarely (and you'll never know when) ever fudge rolls. You've been warned.

Class Rules: Only one slot open for a Great-Old-One-Pact warlock. Can't have void-touched people running around everywhere.

Race rules: In general I'm not going to mess with the races much. Arctic Elves can use the Woodland Elf variant, and Arboreal elves can use the base or high varriant. Arboreal Elivish longswords are basically katanas (lethilee) now, because they have the variant modifier.

Generally the dwarf distinctions between the Shallow-Clan and Deep-Clan dwarves is class so use any you'd like though hill is probably better for shallow-clan.

Half-elves of either kind just change general looks so that's good.

Restrictions: No tieflings or dragonborn. Tieflings don't exist in Alabastra and dragonborn are generally rarer than unicorns or actual dragons, so they wouldn't be walking around. Also no buteos, half-buteos, merfolk, or half-merfolk. (I haven't figured out how to modify them for the game quite yet)

Character Profile

This is the character profile. There is a coded version for your convenience, but I just wanted to give you a mock-up of how it works, because it took me a bit. When denoting which skills, saving throws, etc you have proficiency in put a (+) in the parentheses.

Personal Information

Player Name:
Character Name:
Race:
Hair Color:
Skin Color:
Height:
Weight:
Appearance: (no anime please) and/or description]

History Information

Background:
Alignment:
Personality Traits:
Ideals:
Bonds:
Flaws:
Allies:
Organizations:
Backstory:

Attributes & Vitals

Insperation:

Attributes:
Strength-
Dexterity-
Constitution-
Intelligence-
Wisdom-
Charisma-

Saving Throws:

( ) Str.-
( ) Dex.-
( ) Con.-
( ) Int.-
( ) Wis.-
( ) Cha.-

HP (Current/Max):
Temporary HP:
Hit Dice:
Armor Class:
Initiative:
Speed:
Passive Wisdom (perception):

Death Saves:
Saves-
Fails-

Attacks & Spellcasting

Name/Attack Bonus/Damage-Type
--
--
--

Skills

Skills:

( ) Acrobatics (Dex)-
( ) Animal Handling (Wis)-
( ) Arcana (Int)-
( ) Athletics (Str)-
( ) Deception (Cha)-
( ) History (Int)-
( ) Insight (Wis)-
( ) Intimidation (Cha)-
( ) Investigation (Int)-
( ) Medicine (Wis)-
( ) Nature (Int)-
( ) Perception (Wis)-
( ) Performance (Cha)-
( ) Persuasion (Cha)-
( ) Religion (Int)-
( ) Slight of Hand (Dex)-
( ) Stealth (Dex)-
( ) Survival (Wis-

Other Proficiencies & Languages

Other Proficiencies:
Languages:

Traits

--
--
--

Equipment, Money, & Treasure

Equipment:
--
Money:

CP-
SP-
GP-
PP-

Treasure:
--
--

Spells & Magic

Spellcasting Class:
Spellcasting Ability:
Spell Save DC:
Spell Attack Bonus:

Spell Levels & Slots

(Level/Slot total/Slots Used)

0 Cantrips
--
1 (X/X)
--
2 (X/X)
--
3 (X/X)
--
4 (X/X)
--
5 (X/X)
--
6 (X/X)
--
7 (X/X)
--
8 (X/X)
--
9 (X/X)
--

Character Profile
[hr]

[spoiler=Personal Information]

[b]Player Name:[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Hair Color:[/b]
[b]Skin Color:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientationl:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b] (no anime please) and/or description][/spoiler]

[spoiler=History Information]

[b]Background:[/b]
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]Personality Traits:[/b]
[b]Ideals:[/b]
[b]Bonds:[/b]
[b]Flaws:[/b]
[b]Allies:[/b]
[b]Organizations:[/b]
[b]Backstory:[/b][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Attributes & Vitals]

[b]Insperation:[/b]

[b]Attributes:[/b]
[i]Strength[/i]-
[i]Dexterity[i]-
[i]Constitution[/i]-
[i]Intelligence[/i]-
[i]Wisdom[/i]-
[i]Charisma[/i]-

[b]Saving Throws:[/b]

( ) [i]Str.[/i]-
( ) [i]Dex.[/i]-
( ) [i]Con.[/i]-
( ) [i]Int.[/i]-
( ) [i]Wis.[/i]-
( ) [i]Cha.[/i]-

[b]HP (Current/Max):[/b]
[b]Temporary HP:[/b]
[b]Hit Dice[/b]:
[b]Armor Class:[/b]
[b]Initiative:[/b]
[b]Speed:[/b]
[b]Passive Wisdom (perception):[/b]

[b]Death Saves:[/b]
[i]Saves[/i]-
[i]Fails[/i]-[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Attacks & Spellcasting]
[b]Name/Attack Bonus/Damage-Type[/b]
--
--
-- [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Skills]

[b]Skills:[/b]

[i]( ) Acrobatics (Dex)[/i]-
[i]( ) Animal Handling (Wis)[/i]-
[i]( ) Arcana (Int)[/i]-
[i]( ) Athletics (Str)[/i]-
[i] ( ) Deception (Cha)[/i]-
[i]( ) History (Int)[/i]-
[i]( ) Insight (Wis)[/i]-
[i]( ) Intimidation (Cha)[/i]-
[i]( ) Investigation (Int)[/i]-
[i]( ) Medicine (Wis)[/i]-
[i]( ) Nature (Int)[/i]-
[i]( ) Perception (Wis)[/i]-
[i]( ) Performance (Cha)[/i]-
[i]( ) Persuasion (Cha)[/i]-
[i]( ) Religion (Int)[/i]-
[i]( ) Slight of Hand (Dex)[/i]-
[i]( ) Stealth (Dex)[/i]-
[i]( ) Survival (Wis[/i]- [/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Other Proficiencies & Languages]

[b]Other Proficiencies:[/b]
[b]Languages:[/b] [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Traits]
--
--
-- [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Equipment, Money, & Treasure]
[b]Equipment:[/b]
--
[b]Money:[/b]

[i]CP[/i]-
[i]SP[/i]-
[i]GP[/i]-
[i]PP[/i]-

[b]Treasure:[/b]
--
-- [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells & Magic]

[b]Spellcasting Class:[/b]
[b]Spellcasting Ability:[/b]
[b]Spell Save DC:[/b]
[b]Spell Attack Bonus:[/b] [/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spell Levels & Slots]
(Level/Slot total/Slots Used)

0 Cantrips
--
1 (X/X)
--
2 (X/X)
--
3 (X/X)
--
4 (X/X)
--
5 (X/X)
--
6 (X/X)
--
7 (X/X)
--
8 (X/X)
--
9 (X/X)
--
[/spoiler]
[hr]

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Race & Deities Details

All the details for the playable races and deities. I'm not sure favored-weapons are still in a thing, so ignore that, but the domains are pretty much intact.

Buteo Setting details
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Buteos

The buteo people are the mountain-dwelling hawkkin. They are the proud and fierce dwellers of the sky. They are skilled craftsmen, and they pride their culture, highly. They are known for their wild joyous attitudes and “twitchy” nature.

Personality: Buteos are fiercely proud, nearly vain at times. They are similar to humans in that they tend to be ruled by their emotions quite often. They can appear very arrogant at times, but they are fine warriors. They are also very observant and quick-witted. They value freedom above all, but will not say no to the occasional shiny object as well.

Physical Description: Buteos stand about 5’4” to 6’1” and weigh 100 to 150 pounds. The men are only slightly larger and heavier than the women. All buteos are generally lithe and slight, some might say frail. They have angular, birdlike features and gold earth-tone feathers, sometimes white that match their hair. Their eyes are green, bluish-green, or yellow-green. Buteo eyes can dilate and contract rapidly like a bird’s. All full-blooded buteos have a pair of large wings and claw-like hands. They have feathers on their calves that act like tail-feathers in flight. They have traditional brown, yellow, gold, or orange talons where feet would be. Buteos are considered of age at 18 and can live past 110.

Relations: Buteos like to show off and compete. They appreciate skill and passion and tend to form fast, strong friendships with people that show their loyalty to them. They tend to rub the wrong with dwarves with their reserved and serious nature. Gnomes and buteos are not fast friends. Most gnomish contests are usually too slight and subtle for buteos to truly appreciate them even if they do understand them. Elves, humans, and halflings get along well with buteos. Merfolk and buteos tend not to meet often.

Alignment: Buteos tend toward lawful because of their patron goddess and the caste system in which they live. Large portions do like freedom though, and like any sentient being there are all kinds.

Buteo Lands and Society: The buteos live in the high mountains of Hatim. Since buteos can fly so they tend to have very hard-to-reach cities. Historically they have never seemed to have any inclinations for imperial conquest. They live in one giant mega-metropolis with valleys between large city sections and valleys. Buteos live in a highly evolved caste system. It is very mobile for women (less so for men). At the top is a priestess-queen, then the clergy, the military (many officers are women, but the bulk is male), craftsmen merchants, and laborers. Buteos have some mobility in this system because of their innate love of freedom. Buteos don’t like being where they cannot see the sky.

Religion: The buteos worship Avis-Talis devoutly in their home city and often just as fervently abroad. She demands her people to be reverent and seek victory in all contests.

Language: Buteos speak their own unique language called Buteoi in their language. It has its own alphabet of slash-like runes that look like they could have been made with their claw-like hands or talons.

Names: Buteos take their surnames from the mother’s side of the family. This surname is hyphenated with the individual’s name placed at the front.

Matriarchal Names: Avis, Baris, Chori, Kivius, Matli, Serius, Ulari.

Male Names: Alkintu, Britonis, Cinatus, Kirho, Lustar, Oberitus, Talitis.

Female Names: Alina, Aurioi, Carria, Delis, Leth, Serria, Xinti, Zephyri.

Adventurers: Buteos of nearly any caste could go onto become adventurers. The laborers and craftsmen tend to be homebodies, but the merchant and former military personnel enjoy exploring. Also, there are elements that do not fit into the structure of buteo society.

Half-buteo setting details
Half-Buteos

Due to the forward and matriarchal nature of buteo women and the society they originate from, buteo women often attract or take human men as partners. The children born of such unions often face many problems and issues that other half-breed children of other races do not face.

Personality: Half-buteos have the haughty self-confidence of their buteo parent and the adaptability and acceptance of their limitations of their human parent. They are supremely confident, but it can be humbled and tempered better than most buteos would think possible. This fierce confidence is off-putting to humans, and the tempered ego is off-putting to buteos. They often feel as though they do not fit in anywhere

Physical Description: Half-buteos stand from 5½ feet to 6 feet tall, and can weigh 120 to 180 pounds. They tend to have angular features of their hawkkin parent, rounded off by their human parent’s features. They have human feet, hands, and they lack any wings or feathers. They have the downy hair of their parents, but usually grow it much longer than the buteos normally would. They also have their buteo parent’s birdlike eyes. They are mature at 16 and can easily live to be over 100.

Relations: Half-buteos often resent their full-blooded cousins. Their lack of wings means they struggle to live among the hawkkin. Among humans they seem to be overachievers. They usually treat any other race on person-by-person basis.

Alignment: Half-buteos can be lawful or chaotic, and the human element only adds more variety. Lawful shines through in their innate longing to fit in.

Half-Buteo Lands and Society: Wanders by nature half-buteos have no lands. They have no society. The legacy of many half-buteos is the various monasteries and schools they found to provide guidance and martial training, originally to half-buteos, to any being looking for it.

Religion: Half-buteos have no religion. They usually do not worship Avis-Talis. They prefer, if  any, Abadon. However, they have been found to worship any deity that suits their individual temperaments.

Language: Buteos know how to speak Buteoi and Common.

Names: Both human and buteo names are applicable. Most buteos give themselves their own unique names or are named after personal traits if they were raised in a monastery.

Adventurers: In terms of adventurers half-buteos give humans a run for their money when it comes to adventuring. Many half-buteos seek adventuring to find purpose.

Merfolk

Ability Score Increase: +2 cha, +1 Con
Speed: Land 20ft. (they're bipedal but their feet aren't perfectly formed), swim 40ft.
Amphibious: You can breathe water as well as air and have advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks to swim.
Darkvision: You can see in the dark 60ft.
Echolocation: You have blindsight out to 30 feet while immersed in water and can speak and hear Merfolk as easily as you can Common through air.
Merfolk Weapon Proficiency: Trident, net,  light crossbow, darts.
Silver-tongued: Proficient in persuasion
Languages: Merfolk and Common

Half-Merfolk

Ability Score Increase: +1 cha, +1 in two other of your choice.
Movement Speed: Land speed 30ft, swim 20ft.
Darkvision: You can see in the dark 60ft
Half-Mer Weapon Proficiency: Trident, net, hand axe, light crossbow
Child of Waves: Advantage in saving throws made against cold damage.
Natural-born Swimmer: Advantage in athletic checks to swim.
Languages: Merfolk and common.

Merfolk Setting Details
Merfolk

The underwater beings of the cold waves, merfolk make their homes, and their magnificent cities, underwater. Though they do occasionally build them on land and underwater, and they love art and music.

Personality: Merfolk are jovial and humorous in general, but they usually present this as a mask to the outside world. They tend to enjoy playing songs and performing for onlookers. They love their festivals and ceremonies. Even with their masks they are generally sincere. More, immorally-inclined merfolk are guileful and scheming.

Physical Description: Merfolk stand 6½ to 7 feet tall and weigh between 160 and 210 pounds. The men are noticeably heavier and only slightly taller than the women. The merfolk are generally considered very beautiful. They tend to have a very ephemeral kind of attractiveness about them. They have large eyes that have no pupil only a solid iris. They are bipedal and have fins on their forearms and calves, with the calve-fins being bigger than the forearm ones. In addition to the fins they have webbed feet and toes, with the toes’ webbing extending the full length between the toes. They have scale-like patches around their joins and fins and hair that is soft but seems slick like it is always wet. Their gills are located behind their ears on their necks. Their skin tone ranges from pale yellow to deep yellow. Merfolk reach maturity at about 35 and can live upwards of 250 years old.

Relations: Merfolk tend to be cordial and polite to even their enemies or people they do not like. They enjoy the company of halflings and humans the most. Half-orcs are a curiosity. Dwarves, gnomes, and buteos are not encountered very often by the ocean dwelling merfolk.

Alignment: Merfolk are likely to be neutral or chaotic in nature, and they tend toward good, but there are a few evil merfolk.

Merfolk Lands and Society: The merfolk live in a few grand cities. Each one is a mostly-independent city-state. Each one has a similar form of government, a kind of rule by senate with a single “recorder” who speaks the will of the senate. They meet every decade to elect the grand singer in the de facto capital-state. Some cities interact with humans regularly and have floating top portions or are built partly on the surface.

Religion: Merfolk worship Korrchiro their patron god and song-giver. Occasionally they worship Salinha’laan, but usually as a minor god to Korrchiro.

Languages: The merfolk have a song-like language. Some say it puts the Elven language to shame in terms of structure and beauty. They have their own musical-notation-like style of script and writing. They often scribe it onto kelp-paper scrolls.

Names: Merfolk have an identifying name and then usually have a family name and the name of the city-state where they were born. Using the particle to (sounds like toe) to mean of. It is a mark of shame to not have a city name.

City Names: Hydo (Hydia), Slacho (Salche), Calyopi (Calyopolis), Mereni (Meropolis), Islaso (Islas).

Family Names: Apalio, Coriccu, Garuko, Maniko, Saracchi, Zyto.

Male Names: Arrachi, Bakko, Cobri, Manto, Salro, Variccho.

Female Names: Akki, Curi, Karicco, Narini, Tulindo, Urandi

Adventurers: Merfolk are naturally inquisitive so looking for new things comes naturally. Societally, most merfolk are commissioned as singers for powerful people or royal entertainment. Some are hired to explore sunken or half-submerged ruins.

Half-Merfolk Setting Details
Half-Merfolk

The exotic beauty of the merfolk have swooned many a human into unions. Sometimes, this is seen as insidious, but it is no more sinister than the average marriage. The children of such unions often have it the easiest of most half-breed children. Still, they are often considered odd and have their own unique challenges.

Personality: The jovial and almost-lackadaisical façade of the merfolk and the adaptability and skill of human ambitions mix to make a being that appears to have effortless skill bestowed upon them. Nothing seems to be difficult for a half-merfolk; they seem to laugh off even the most difficult challenges.

Physical Description: While the ephemeral beauty of the full-blooded merfolk parent is grounded somewhat by the human elements, however, half-merfolk are still captivating. The range in height from 6 to 6½ feet tall and can weigh 130 to 200 pounds. They have the traditional merfolk eyes and the scant scale-like skin around the joints. Only their toes are webbed, and not to the extent of their full-blooded parents. They also have a strange combination of regular human hair and merfolk hair. They reach age at about 30 and can live over 175 years old.

Relations: Merfolk get along best with anyone who likes to live near or on the water. They have a natural affinity for water themselves. They often work with humans and halflings. Dwarves and gnomes to a lesser extent, and they tend to have more interaction with buteos. Orcs are treated on an individual basis.

Alignment: Merfolk tend to be neutral like their full-blooded parents, but the diverse possibilities of humanity come through as well.

Half-Merfolk Lands and Society: They have no lands of their own; they tend to enjoy living near the water. Sometimes they will stay in one of the city-states that have above-water districts as go-betweens or laborers. Some seek employ as sailors for Barden or the New Imperium. Some can even be pirates.

Religion: Half-merfolk tend to worship Abadon, Korrchiro, or Cyroca.

Language: Merfolk speak Mer and Common, the languages of their parents.

Names: Human and merfolk naming conventions are both possible. Those who live in one of the merfolk city-states tend to take merfolk names, those who live elsewhere tend to use human names or a combination of conventions.

Adventurers: Merfolk are called to the high seas, they enjoy the ocean immensely and often seek professions and adventures on the high seas.

Dwarf Setting Details
Dwarves

The dwarven race of Alabastra is a tough and hardy one. They live in palaces and fortresses of ice and stone. They are known for their exceptional craftsmen, their skill at war, and their isolationist nature. They are a highly structured people and believe intensely in order and tradition. They are a naturally reserved and stoic.

Personality: Dwarves are terse and gruff by nature. They tend to reserve their emotions for family and close friends. Even the anger non-dwarves would assume that the fierce warriors would show to their ancient and hated foes is actually reserved most of the time. Dwarves prefer their emotionless masks of strength and skill.

Physical Description: Dwarves stand only 4 to 4½ feet tall. Dwarves are stocky, broad, and compact. This means that they weigh about as much as humans. The men are slightly taller and noticeably heavier than the women. They have skin tones ranging from pale to a dark tan. Their hair ranges from deep brown, to red, to black. They have brown or black eyes. Dwarven men prize their beards, and spend much time grooming and braiding them in elaborate fashion. The women prefer elaborately braided hair embellished with precious gems and metals. Dwarves come of age at 40 and can live past 400.

Relations: Dwarves are more clan-like and private than any other race of Alabastra. They do not make friends fast without some true forging, and they do not make friends lightly. Most other races are kept at a distance.  Gnomes make the best foreign friends to dwarves. Elves are considered aloof, buteos and merfolk daft birds and fish respectively, and most the other races are outsiders. Half-orcs are treated with suspicion at best. They do have a respect for the warrior class of the arboreal elves.

Alignment: Dwarves are normally lawful. Much of their society revolves around structure, order, and tradition. Dwarves who do not conform are often treated as strange or daft at best.

Dwarf Lands and Society: Dwarves live on the continents of Corvis and Telvidia. This is where the distinctions between dwarves become apparent to most other races. There are two distinct types of dwarves. They are not as separate as humans, or even the two races of elves, however, there is a distinction. Dwarven society is built on long-running clans. The more powerful live in the deep of the mountains, while the lesser clans are located more toward the surface. The long-running dwarven lifespans usually means the status quo is very rarely upset and deep clans do not shift position with the shallower clans. All clans are famous for something like mercantile, military, or crafting. Each time the head of a guild-clan dies the other heads meet in the dwarf capital to assess the wealth of each clan and elect a new leading clan.

Religion: The dwarves worship Ferrorun the Star Forger. He is father of the dwarves and demands that his creations to attain wealth, power, knowledge, and skill in all fields.

Language: Dwarves speak their own language with its own unique runic alphabet. They can use parchment, paper, or scrolls, but they like to record on clay tablets or stone.

Names: Dwarves take their clan’s name with pride. Clans are extensive and twenty dwarves can easily be of the same clan. They use their first names to differentiate themselves for records more than individuality. Dwarves often identify more with clan than the self.

Clan Names: Baldrek (Axe-Crash), Corbred (Mountain-Son), Germclav (Gem-Carver), Hilgrade (Hill-Guard), Mertgral (Metal-Smith).

Male Names: Barendd, Cognar, Eberk, Forrlask, Grinlock, Ulfgar.

Female Names: Aryn, Audhilda, Diesa, Gaia, Hilde, Liftrasa, Terra.

Adventurers: Dwarves in general to further their place in the clan, and the clan’s place in dwarven society. Some dwarves are unsatisfied with traditional occupations or dwarven society. A clan can be raised in status by honor and wealth.

Arctic and Forest Elf Setting Details
The Arctic and Forest Elves

There are two races of elves that call Alabastra home. They are the older arboreal elves and the younger (in elf terms) auroral elves. The former are free and highly cultured with traditions in the art. The latter are more cautious and chose a life away from the forests of their cousins where they could live with the animals of the ice and water. I have chosen to place them in the same entry because they have only been considered two separate races for about ten thousand years, a relatively short time for elves (about nine generations).

Personality: Arboreal elves tend to be more free-spirited and individualistic. The majority of the elves tend toward chaos, barring their warrior-lords, the lethios warriors. All tend to have an innate curiosity in them. Arctic elves tend to be more neutral in disposition among their leaders, and chaotic like most of their cousins. They prefer to live in harmony in being a part of the tapestry of nature. Unlike traditions rooted in mastery of nature, they prefer synthesis with nature.

Physical Descriptions: Both races of elves stand 4½ to 5 tall and weigh 95 to 135 pounds. Arboreal elves have pale skin and fair hair, with green eyes of varying shades and they are canted in nature. The auroral elves have much darker hair, blue, canted eyes, and slightly darker skin. Both races of elves are slight and lithe, and lack facial or body hair. Auroral elves tend to be a little less fragile-looking than their forest cousins and also have more round facial features. Both sport large pointed ears. Both reach maturity at 110 years and can live to be over 700 years old.

Relations: Forest elves tend to be haughty. Humans are unrefined, gnomes and halflings are treated politely, but are seen as trivial, dwarves are gruff and stuffy, orcs are treated with total mistrust in general. Elves and buteos tend to mirror each other in terms of arrogance, but the buteo tends to be grounded more in self-skill than racial superiority. Elves get along best with the merfolk because of their mutual love of the arts and song.

Arctic elves are more accepting, but a little more isolated as well. They get along with halflings, merfolk, and humans because they often trade with them. Dwarves are still stuffy; gnomes are interesting but a little too bookish. Buteos are often a little boisterous. Orcs are still mistrusted. As for the relations between the two elf races, they tend to get along, but have somewhat formal relationships at best.

Alignment: Arboreal elves are chaotic with a smattering of law for the ruling class. Auroral are chaotic with deference to their leaders and the realities of their daily lives that can pull some toward a neutral disposition.

Arctic and Forest Elf Society and Lands: Arboreal elves live in a monarchy. With the queen or king doling out the tree-top lands to his major lords, who then partition that between the Lethios, the warrior servants of elven law and culture. They have long lives, this doesn’t give them some kind of perfect nature, but there is a long time for them to get it right. They live in the great forests of Alatab’as.

Arctic elves live in the large settlements or wander the islands of Kosims in their canoes. They are a tribal race with a council of elders that provide collective spiritual guidance for the Aurora-Priestess, the living incarnation of Salinha’laan.

Religion: The arboreal elves worship Daylin’vaas, The Tree-Father and the lawgiver of the elven people. The auroral elves worship Salinha’laan, The Lady of Auroras as manifested in the high priestess of the race.

Languages: Both races use a common elven alphabet, but two distinctly different spoken languages.
Arctic elves speak Auroral Elven and Common. The forest elves speak Arboreal Elven and Common.

Names: Both races have a tradition of taking their family surnames from natural occurrences. The arctic elves like names reflecting animals in nature, and forest elves like floral names instead. The two races also give their children a name before coming of age, whether or not the named elf or his or her friends and family still use this name is up to the persons in question. After reaching maturity elves of both races pick their own personal names.

Family Names: Arctic: Alacia’faan (Snow Panther), Biliri’voon (Swooping Owl), Halieen’laan (Singing Whale), Savani’Keen (Prowling Fox), Tuuli’varr (Swimming Otter).

Forest: Alair’vaal (Flying Blossom), Bayran’chaan (Dragon Flower),
Dayrain’daas (Sword Among the Blossoms), Quinla’tuul (Diamond Dew).

Male Names: Forest: Alateer, Bantis, Dayvan, Korru, Masland, Waylan.
Arctic: Avatu, Bartu, Coryan, Manter.

Female Names: Forest: Anastacia, Banassa, Deera, Halee, Naussica, Tamra. Arctic: Alani, Barruni, Damma, Nammi.

Adventurers: Forest elves tend to adventure because of wanderlust or, for the lawful among them, as a matter of their lord’s honor. Artic elves tend not to wander as much because of the needs of the race as a whole, however, many go on pilgrimage to learn self-reliance or to help the race as a whole.

Arctic and Forest Half-Elf Setting Details
Half-Elves

While the relations between human and arboreal elf society are cool, there is no accounting for the desires of individuals. The children of humans and both auroral and arboreal elves are a common occurrence in Alabastra. Half-elves find different experiences depending on where they are raised. Half-elves raised among humans seem aloof and unambitious and must watch themselves age slower than their human peers. When raised among elves they do not get the chance to learn the intricacies of either culture before they are physically mature.

Personality: Half-elves usually have the drive of their human parents and the curiosity of their arboreal parent, or the neutral reverence of an auroral parent.  They usually do not have the rare lawfulness of the Lethios because no Lethios would intermarry with a human (or at least admit it), and it is more of a learned trait anyway.

Physical Description: To elves half-elves look human and are called half-human, among humans they look like elves. They range in height from just under 5 feet to a little over 6 feet tall. They can weigh from 100 to 180 pounds. They tend to have a mix of features from both parents. They tend to keep the green or blue eyes and their ears are just as pointed but not as big.  Half-elves reach maturity at about 40 years old and can live to be over 180 years old.

Relations: Half-elves of either race tend to get along well serving as go-between and diplomats for a number of races.  Arboreal elves tend not to trust half-elves of human rearing. Auroral elves are generally more trusting.

Alignment: Because of their mixed parentage elves can be just about any alignment, though they have a pull toward the chaotic in general. Those raised amongst auroral elves tend toward neutral.

Half-Elf Lands and Society: Half elves have no lands of their own. They are usually raised in one of the parents’ homelands, though humans and elves who decide to raise a child equally are rarer, they can happen.

Religion: Half-elves growing up in elf lands worship each one’s patron deity. Many in human lands worship nature deities or even St. Bellia. Still, like humans they may run the gamut.

Languages: Half-elves speak the languages of his or her parents. They tend to speak both eleven languages clumsily, but only elves notice.

Names: Half-elves can get names following the convention of either parent or a combination of the two cultures’ conventions.

Adventurers: Half-elves often find themselves going on adventures with beings of many races. They rarely would need a reason, just and opportunity.

Gnome Setting Details
Gnomes

My own race, I will endeavor to treat it like any other race. It would be a blemish on my scholarly career to do otherwise. Gnomes are the subterranean race of scholars and mages. They have an inquisitive and ever-curious disposition. They are very social and rival the close-knit family ties of the dwarves, but more on the level of comrade and family than structure, tradition, and law.

Personality: Gnomes are intellectuals by nature, how that manifests and to what degree depends on the individual gnome. Those with more jovial dispositions become entertainers, artists, pranksters, and writers. Those with more serious bents like research, mechanics, and scholarly debate. Gnomes are generally in good cheer whatever their pursuit.

Physical Description: Gnomes stand 3 to 3½ feet tall and weigh on average 40 to 45 pounds. Shades of skin range from light brown to woody brown, and gnomish hair is usually kinky but well kept. Gnomes keep neatly trimmed beards, and they also have eyes some shade of blue-brown. Gnomes like intricately designed earth tones. Gnomes are considered of age at 40 and can live over 350 years of age.

Relations: Gnomes are famous friends of the dwarves. The more jovial tend to get along well with elves, half-elves, and humans. Orcs and half-orcs are treated with a wary eye, and mostly mistrust. Buteos and merfolk are rarely encountered by the gnomes directly, and they trade often enough with halflings.

Alignment: Gnomes tend to follow their professions. Those who follow life as bards and pranksters tend to favor chaos, good or evil. Those who favor scholarly or magical professions are typically neutral or lawful.

Gnome Lands and Society: Gnomes live in various settlements like halflings, but they tend to be more sedimentary in their day-to-day lives. Gnomes prefer the creature comforts not moving around provide to getting out and above ground all the time. Gnomish society is a meritocracy. The more one does for the community the higher one’s standing is in the community. A council of the best gnome from all fields is formed and they govern the community. Some gnomes like to live in human lands as engineers, alchemists, bard, and machinists as well.

Religion: Gnomes worship Sargill Glitterholt, the Divine Prankster. He is the Taskmaster to the Gnomish people. He guides and protects them in all endeavors. Gnomes try to follow his example.

Language: Gnomes speak their own unique language, but they use the runic script of the dwarves. Many a great volume has been written in Gnomish.

Names: Names are integral to gnomish society. Gnomes attain names to show their standing in a community or communities. The more names a gnome has the more prestige a gnome has.

Family Names: Aberhold, Corwork, Dandywick, Gilderson, Gemcart.

Male Names: Alberon, Fankin, Gimble, Malier, Dilner, Ulid.

Female Names: Caramip, Ellywick, Roywin, Shamil.

Adventurers: Gnomes typically adventure for curiosity or wanderlust, or to further their knowledge of their profession. Greed is not unheard of either.

Halfling Setting Details
Halflings

The nomadic drift wanders with their numerous outposts and paths. They are a small fast-moving people that are fairly amiable toward just about every other race. They often serve as guides to other races looking for help against Alabastra’s unforgiving climates

Personality: halflings are a people inclined toward action and adventure. They do not like to remain in urban or underground areas for overly-long periods of time. They like nature and the traditional ways of travel close to their culture.

Physical Description: Halflings stand around 3 feet tall and weigh 30 to 35 pounds. They have ruddy features and black hair with brown or brown-green eyes. They like practical clothes made for the outdoors and they travel light. They reach maturity at 20 and can live to over 250 years old.

Relations: halflings tend to try and get along with everyone. They spend so much of their time trying to survive against Alabastra’s climate that they rarely seek enemies of any race.

Alignment: Halfling need to be flexible and adaptable to survive, but they also need the support of the nomadic group they are traveling with. Like the environment they spend so much of their lives in halflings tend to be neutral. Good or evil, is more often than not, a personal choice.

Halfling Lands and Society: halflings are several groups of small nomads. Some mingle with more civilized areas; some spend their whole time wandering the wilderness between their long established routes and outposts. Each band is led by a religious leader of Odessa.

Religion: The halflings worship Odessa, their neutral-good goddess and protector. The halflings have several rituals of various sizes for before, while, and after they migrate. They pay homage to a host of lesser gods and entities in Odessa’s domain.

Language: Halflings speak their own language and use Common script. They have a fairly bare written tradition, but their songs and oral culture are extensive and diverse. Halflings do not like to speak in Halfling in front of other races.

Names: Halflings have naming conventions similar to humans. They have a family name, a first name, and possibly a nickname.

Family Names: Applebough, Driftwalker, Goodfire, Lightfoot, Underwarmth.

Male Names: Alton, Code, Darrin,
Garret, Milo. Sten, Tillman.

Female Names: Amber, Amaryllis, Portia, Serephina, Verida.

Adventurers: Halflings tend not to venture far from their bands because everybody is so crucial to the survival of the band. However, some solitary halflings or the ones whose bands interact with other races tend to go off on their own.

Human Setting Details
Humans

The variable race of short-lived beings, humans are a determined and persevering people. They are the descendants of pioneers, explorers, and conquerors. They have been masters and slaves, beings of great mercy and great evil. They have survived where other races might not have the will to go on. They are adaptable and determined.

Personality: While all races have all kind of people with all kinds of personalities no other races exemplifies this as much as humankind. You can ask four humans for their opinions on a matter and you will get five different opinions, but at the same time humans can be just as close-minded.

Physical Description: Humans typically range from 5 to 6 feet tall, and they can weigh 125 to 250 pounds. The men are often heavier and taller than the women. Their features can be soft or angular, heavy or light. Their hair can be straight and fair or kinky and dark; blonde, red, brown, and black are all possible. Eyes can take any number of shapes and range from gray to dark brown. They do all have round ears. Their shades of skin can range from very pale to deeply, deeply tan, some humans have had woody-black skin as well. Humans reach age at about 15 and, with luck may see a century.

Relations: Humans tend to get along with anyone, but may or may not strive for it like a halfling might. Elves and humans have cool diplomatic relationships because the War of the Crying Blossom that happened about 100 years ago. Though, the elves tend to hold the grudge more, because they have longer memories, and they lost the conflict. Humans are curious and enjoy learning about cultures, but they can be just as xenophobic and close-minded.

Alignment: Humans do not tend toward any one alignment. They can be evil or good, chaotic or highly ordered.

Human Lands and Society: While it is true that human lands and society exist in a more malleable state than most other races they do tend to have their great empires. The two in this current age are the New Centria Empire, a theocratic government ruled by a tribunal of religious judges. Created by Bellia Scioni when she cast off the shackles of the corrupted Centria Imperium (which had been taken over by Aller’daar II, The Mad King and his dark partners, demons from Diserin’baal), and cemented in Gloriana when they drove out the elves of Gloriana (while having no love for the Mad King were angered by humanity wanting them out of the continent).

The second is the Serene Maritime Duchy of Barden. A constitutional dukedom formed from several mercantile city-states looking to pool their resources into a seagoing merchant force. They used to have a king, but he was deposed in the Dockside Revolution and constitution was drawn up. No man or woman has claimed a ruling position higher than duke ever since. It has a relatively small aristocracy and a large middleclass.

Other than these two empires, countless small frontier towns and tribes of humans exist in semi-civilization. The allegiance to one of the bigger two empires is superficial at best out on the snow-blasted frontier.

Religion: The biggest religions worshiped by humans are the Church of St. Bellia in the New Empire and Atria or Atrius on the frontier. Barden tends to worship Abadon or Scarmiglione, but has no official religion and is just as likely to worship St. Bellia or Atrius or Atria. Humans tend to follow any religion that suits them; it’s where they worship that is more important. Though no religion of a non-evil origin is expressly forbidden by law, the court of public opinion is something else.

Language: Humans invented Old Imperium, more commonly known now as Common. It is a very extensive and adaptive language that assimilates words with little to no change. Therefor it was easy for most other races to pick up and use, and as such it has become the trade language for all of Alabastra.

Names: Humans tend to have names from all over the world. They can barrow them from any race and do an adequate job of translating them into common. Though there are some names that are considered human and Imperium.

Male Names: Atrius, Benecius, Gratus, Manius, Silas, Tacitus.

Female Names: Annia, Bellia, Dianna, Ferria, Persephone, Saccia, Telvia.

Adventurers: Humans can adventure for any reason under the suns, it would be easier to list all the reasons humans do not adventure.

Half Orc Setting Details
Half-Orc

There is something in the wild, free, and wanton lifestyle of the orcs, or perhaps there are more unfortunate implications. Regardless, half-orcs are a part of Alabastra. They live in the drifts, the hills, the forests, and the mountains. They often face some of the deepest prejudices in the realm.

Personality: Half-orcs are usually gruff, unrefined, and crass in manner and thought. They are not evil or mean specifically, but most are rash and impulsive. They tend to like simple and unrefined pleasures and comforts.

Physical Description: Orcs of the mountain variety have grayish skin, while those of arctic descent have slightly bluish skin. They are 6 to 7 feet tall and can weigh 180 to 250 pounds. Both kinds have fangs, a sloping forehead, jutting jaws with sharp, prominent teeth, and coarse body hair making their parentage obvious to all. Orcs like scars, so half-orcs that grow up among them do as well. Scars can be decorative, war-gained, or denote high and low status among orcs. Orcs come of age at 14 and rarely live long past 75.

Relations: Sadly half-orcs can be subject to the same prejudices their full-blooded relatives are. Sometimes this trepidation is earned, and sometimes it is not. Elves, dwarves, buteos, and gnomes tend to be the most mistrusting. Halflings, half-bloods, and humans tend to approach each half-orc on an individual basis. Merfolk tend to think they are a curiosity.

Alignment: Half-orcs tend toward chaos, but good and evil are both open to them because of their human blood.

Half-Orc Lands and Society: Half-orcs have no real lands of their own; a powerful mercenary might carve out a chunk of wilderness for him or herself. Most however either live with the orcs of their parent or chose transient, martial careers. 

Religion: Half-orcs who live among their full-blooded kin typically worship Bagras’kull. Those who seek lands outside the tribes might worship Terranack or Nestamedes.

Language: Orcs have their own rough and guttural language. They have an oral tradition and write little, when they do write much, and most of it is graffiti or little notes. When they do write it’s in Common or Dwarven script.

Names: Orcs like simple and distinctive names. Their enemies remember them easily and fear them. In a strange way they find simple names elegant and powerful.

Male Names: Drech, Feng, Kesh, Gell’rash, Holg’rul, Turg, Wug’dur.

Female Names: Beggi, Emen, Enag, Myvev, Neeju, Sergi’nu, Xeg’ra.

Adventurers: Half-orcs often take careers adventuring just because it suits their physical nature and can fund several vices or comforts.

Deities

Part 1
Aborrad

Aborrad is the lawful-neutral god of magic. Reputed to be the greatest magic user to have ever existed, he reflects the passionless concrete nature of magical arithmetic. His domains include knowledge, magic, and law. While he is not worshiped in the more traditional sense by modern wizards, his is still the chief deity of mages. His titles include: Mage-Father, Grand Magister, Maestro Arcanus. His favored weapon is the quarterstaff.

Daylin’vaas

The lawful-good father-god of the arboreal elves, Daylin’vaas is their chief deity. It may seem strange to outsiders that the elves might, with their lean to the chaotic, however, he is the lawgiver of the elves’ greatest traditions. These include poetry, art, and drama. He is husband to Salinha’laan, goddess of the artic elves. His titles include: The Tree-Father, Lawbringer, and Master Protector. He rules in the domains of law, protection, nature, and war. His favored weapon is the lethilee, a special elven bastard sword.

Salinha’laan

The mother of the arctic elves, she is the chaotic-good goddess of the ice, auroras, and whales.  She was reputed in legend to have tamed and ridden the first narwhale. She is the husband to Daylin’vaas. Her domains are those of water, animals, chaos, and good. Her titles are: Whale Mistress, Snow-Mother, and Lady of Auroras. She is worshiped by the arctic elves, some sailors, and druids who favor life on the ice. Her favored weapon is the harpoon.

Abadon

The chaotic-good god of the four winds, Abadon is worshiped by most human sailors, some half-merfolk, and the seafaring bards. Legend tells that Abadon had an affair with Salinha’laan. This is the fabled cause of the schism between the artic and arboreal elves. To this day arboreal elves share cool relations with any worshiper of Abadon. His titles include: Wind Taker, The Grand Guide, and Air Master. His domains are those of water, air, travel, and protection. His favored weapon is the sling.

Ferrorun

The god of the dwarves he is the lawful-good dwarven deity. He was fabled to have created the dwarves from the very meteorites that circle Alabastra. He rules the domains of earth, fire, war, and law. His titles include: Starforger, Soulcaster, Forge-Father, and The Maker. His favored weapon is the warhammer.

Part 2
Sargill Shimmerholt

The Grand Trickster, The Shaper, and the Master, the great patron god of the gnomes, Sargill Shimmerholt is the gnomish god. He is said to have crafted the gnomes from the very forces of the elemental planes through the greatest alchemy ever performed. He is the divine scholar and prankster, worshiped by gnomes, practically comedic bards, and the occasional eccentric mage. His domains are trickery, earth, good, and protection. His favored weapon is the light pick and he is neutral good.

Odessa

Odessa is the neutral-good goddess of the halfling race. Her titles are The Dawn Walker, The Eternal Wanderer, and The Nomad. She is said to have led the halflings here ages ago. She protects her people in their nomadic wandering. She roams the domains of nature, protection, travel, and good. Her favored weapon is the kukuri knife.

Korrchiro

The Sea-Father, The Song-Giver, and The Lord Warrior, he is the god of the seas. Korrchiro is the patron god of the merfolk and the half-merfolk to a lesser extent, the occasional sailor or bard. Korrchiro is the god credited with bestowing song to the world (most other beings state this as to the merfolk). He is neutral good in nature. His domains include water, animal, plant, and war. His favored weapon is the trident.

Avis-Talis

The lawful-good warrior goddess of the buteos, the winged race of avian humanoids, she is worshiped devoutly by most buteos. Half-Buteos tend to worship A¬¬¬badon or Cyroca (if they are of an immoral leaning); there distinct lack of fight is a good reason for this lack of reverence. She is worshiped by athletes, travelers, and hunters. Her domains include sun, air, war, and law. Her favored weapon is the halberd.

Cyroca

The chaotic-evil goddess of storms and destruction, in legend she is the older sister of Abadon. She was ousted eons past by her younger brother and the two fight eternally along with their followers. She is worshiped by her own fractured and reclusive cult. Anarchists may also follow her. Her domains are air, chaos, and evil. Her favored weapon is the spiked chain.

Part 3
Talisand

The neutral god of roads and travel, he is worshiped by bards, some rangers, pilgrims, and merchants. His domains are travel, protection, and luck. His favored weapon is the quarterstaff. Anyone who travels along the main roads of a nation usually leaves a small tithe at his various wayside shrines.

Scarmiglione

The chaotic-neutral gods of revelry, hedonism, drama, and pranksters, his temples are the taverns and theaters. A good bar brawl is just as good as a masterpiece play to Scarmiglione. His domains are chaos, luck, and trickery. His favored weapons is the rapier. He is worshiped by rogues, bards, and various artisans.

Bagras’kull

The Blood Caller, the Scar-Master, The Great Render, Bagras’kull is the chaotic-evil god of the orc people. He is the paragon of the orcs. He demands that his people test themselves in the revelry of slaughter and combat. His domains are evil, chaos, war, and destruction. His favored weapon is the orcish double-axe.

St. Bellia

Bellia Scioni, more commonly known as St. Bellia, is the most worshiped deity among the entire human race, even among the separate human nation-states. Controversially, she is said to be a transcended human from antiquity when the human race was still young.  Her titles include: The Mother-Knight. , The Eternal Empress, and The Creatrix, she is natural good and her domains are good, healing, war, and protection. Her favored weapon is the longsword.

Ulkath

The lawful-evil god of the goblinoid race, he urges material greed as power instead of simple slaughter, but he does revel in any wanton act that furthers the position of his people. He is called the Vile One, Blighted Master, and Conniver, sometimes the Dark One. His domains are evil, law, trickery. His favored weapon is the shortspear.

Terranack

The Green Knight, The Forrest King, Terranack is the neutral god of nature. There are some who say he is the only deity who walks the material world. There have been various sightings of a huge, green knight have been recorded throughout history. He is worshiped by warlike druids and rangers. His domains are fire, water, air, earth, sun, and nature. His favored weapon is the battleaxe.

Part 4

Dolmascus

The Pale Rider, the Angry Wanderer, and the Unfair Judge, Dolmascus is the god of death and desolation. He is the neutral-evil god and judge of the dead. Most avoid him, but he has a cabal of many followers. His domains are death, destruction, and evil. His favored weapon is the scythe. He hates all living things and deities, even his followers are disposable pawns.

Valre’zzia

The Dark-Mother, Silvertongue, and the Void Bearer, Valre’zzia is the lawful-evil deity of many cults, especially the rumored Cult of the Mad King. She is as evil as she is charismatic, and often enjoys corrupting natural laws and bargains. Her domains are law, evil, trickery, and knowledge. Her preferred weapon is the sickle.

Nestamedes

Worshiped by athletes and good barbarians (at least neutral), he is the neutral-good god of strength and contest. He is titled The Longrunner, The Gladiator, and the Laurel King. His domains are strength, good, and luck. His favored weapon is the javelin.

Tyndrella

The neutral-evil goddess of the darker magic, she is worshiped by many dark wizards, warlocks, and sorcerers. Her domains include those of knowledge, destruction, magic, and trickery. Her favored weapon is the spear, and her titles include Dark Lady, Night Mistress, and The Unholy Magister.

Kalhae

Kalhae is the chaotic-good goddess of benevolent nature. She is worshiped by more-peaceful druids, rangers, the occasional monk and half-elf. Her domains are earth, nature, air, plant, and animal. Her favored weapon is the shortbow. Her list of titles include Grandmother Tree, The Matriarch, or The Matriarch of Nature.

Londero

The Blood-Culler, The Void-Knight, The Lord of the Wylde Hunt, Londero is the lawful-evil god of war, destruction, strife, tyranny, and unholy sport. He is worshiped by evil warriors and rangers, and dark knights, and his favored weapon is the greatsword. His domains are evil, law, destruction, war, and death.

Atrius

The neutral god of the red sun, Atrius embodies the evening, twilight, ends, and sleep. His domains are sun, nature, knowledge, and protection. Like his sister he is not worshiped by himself as much by humans since the ascendance of St. Bellia. There are a few new churches to the old human sun god though. Atrius is worshiped by humans, rogues, and anyone who makes a profession in the shadows. His favored weapon is the heavy mace.

Atria

The neutral-good goddess of the white sun, Atria embodies the new, dawn, rebirth, and recovery. Her domains are sun, healing, nature, good. Like her brother, Atria is not worshiped by herself or with her divine sibling as much since the arrival of St. Bellia. Still, she survives in less urbanized human lands like her brother. She is worshiped by healers, and some knights, fighters, and rangers. Her favorite weapon is the morningstar.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Setting Details

I know that this is a daunting set of material to learn, but none of it is mechanical in this game, only flavor so if you could just familiarize yourself with it a little at a time that'd be great. In fact until the game starts this is more a letting-you-know-what-you're-getting into thing. The new character sheets call for none of this really, this is all me. :)

The Kingdoms

Alabastra is home to a number of sovereign nations. Most are racially aligned and some like the Barden Dukedom are fairly multiracial due to their maritime nature. Kingdom is a bit of an anachronistic term in this day and age, but the majority of nations still follow a vestige of the old rule of kings and queens.

The New Centria Empire
Symbol: The Vestige of the Eternal Empress, a stylized depiction of St. Bellia.
Capital City: Grand Citadel (Metropolis)
Government: A judicial theocracy. Human ruled.
Scale: 15 (Continental Empire)
Population: Mostly human, but sees traffic from all over Alabastra.
Current Rulers: A tribunal of religious judges. Judge Altrus Covarn, human male 48.
Judge Alessa Sotani, human female, 39.
Judge Gravier De’lore, human male, 64.
Governance and Society: The church and the state are highly intertwined in the New Imperium; however, it does have a small state-funded army, of a traditional feudal society. Still, everything goes through the Church of the Eternal Empress and therefor the theocratic government has the last say in much of the policy making. The non-theocratic portion of the army is much bigger, but the majority of the officer corps are clerics, paladins, and crusaders.

Despite being theocratic the Imperium shows great religious tolerance. They have a tax for non-believers and non-citizens, but it is fairly nominal. In the higher echelons of the government high-clerics and other religious officials take the place of the higher lords in the order.

The sermons of Bellia Scioni inform every aspect of the New Imperium from money to murder. A special sect of clerics called inquisitors seeks out evil subversive elements to the righteous rule of the Imperium.

A Brief History: The New Centria Empire was founded by Bellia Scioni a favored soul and crusader of Atria in the tail end of the last age. Though, in truth, Scioni would never see the empire she formed. She was captured by the splintered forces of the then-dead Mad King captured her. She was to be burned at the stake in front of Grand Citadel. During the execution the holy saint never cried out as the fire climbed up her vestments, just when all thought she would succumb she made a prayer and vanished in a bright flash of light. The ascendance of Bellia Scioni to godhood was complete in her followers’ eyes.

Her sermons would allow her fledgling church to wage a war over much of Gloriana and push all elves from the continent. The War of the Crying Blossom is still a tender spot in international affairs. United by a common goal and religion the Church of the Eternal Empress would become the leading military power in half the world.

The Serene Maritime Duchy of Barden
Symbol: The Ship and Laurels. A ship superimposed on a wreath of golden laurels.
Capital City: Barden City
Government: Constitutional Monarchy. Human ruled.
Scale: 11
Population: Mostly human, but a very big crossroads for every race on the planet.
Current Rulers: The Mercantile Party and Duchess Anastasia D’Bardi.
Governance and Society: Barden is a multiregional duchy with a constitutional parliamentary rule. The duchess or duke plays role of the executive and the law-making body is the house of lords and the house of commons. There are several parties in the house of commons that are given patronage by the house of lord who vote on the laws the lower house drafts.

A Brief History: Barden was once a great kingdom that had had several wars with the dwarven clans in antiquity. However, the obscene wealth of the nobility and several corrupt lords and land owners pushed the standard of living of the laborers down that it caused the Dockside Rebellion where a group of disenfranchised workers burned down several party yachts of the nobility. Eventually the highest noble left would be the Bardi family of dukes and duchesses.

From this point on Barden would go on a mercantile-based campaign to reestablish the government under a new constitution, they would also give rise to a number of trading companies, one of which would become the premier trading company in the world. It would eventually forge lucrative trading arrangements with the dwarves.

The Great Dwarven Clans
Symbol: The symbol of the dwarven lands changes to the symbol of the dominant clan. For example the current symbol is that of Clan Dulrung, a pair of crossed battle axes superimposed over a trilliant-cut gemstone.
Capital City: Mythsteria Fortress
Government: Wealth-based clan-centered aristocratic government. Rule of the wealthiest. Dwarven ruled.
Scale: 14 (Continental kingdom)
Population: Almost exclusively dwarven, some gnomish presence. Trade with foreign races relegated to special quarters.
Current Rulers: Patriarch Higlaf Dulrung and the Dulrung Clan, 350.
Governance and Society: The clans of the dwarven lands are divided into two de facto sections. The Deep Clans live deep within the capital and rule the higher stations of the government. The Shallow Clans are guilds of much less importance. Every time the leader of a clan dies the dwarves meet in Mythsteria to compare the economic strength and wealth of each individual clan. Using ancient dwarven laws the value of various elements is determined and the most powerful one is the ruling clan and policy making family. There are various Laws of the First Clan which cannot be amended.
   Dwarven society is pseudo-theocratic. The Deep Clans are the rules of the dwarven government. Years of tradition have locked the dwarven people into a fairly predictable cycle of ruling clans. These are the ones dubbed the Deep Clans. The Shallow Clans have been pushed toward the surface over the centuries and provide crucial, but less lucrative trades.
   At the heart of the Deep Clans power are the dwarven artificers. Men and women of the clans who forge and craft wondrous things, they hold pseudo-noble-priesthoods. Shallow-Clan artificers are not tolerated and put to death.

A Brief History: Dwarves are one of the older races in Alabastra, the first to travel its icy slopes and cold earth. While the Shallow Clans retain this hearty origin, the Deep-Clans have forgotten the outside world for the most part.

Dwarves used to travel like nomads, looking for valuables and survival. When humans were still living in caves, and the elves were one, tribal race the dwarves began making their now-ancient subterranean keeps and castles. The dwarves would rule most of Alabastra worth ruling at the time. Harvesting the iron in the meteorites they began making steel to defend their holdings. At some point in antiquity the First Clan as it was called split in some great internal civil war and the current system was put into place. The worship of Ferrorun became all pervasive.

The Holy Buteo Matriarchy
Symbol: The Symbol of Avis-Talis superimposed over a wreath of willow branches and crossed spears.
Capital City: High-Wing Aerie
Government: Matriarchal caste system. Buteo-run. Head figure is often called the queen-priestess though her formal title is the Grand Matriarch.
Scale: 10 (Large mega-metropolis)
Population: Almost-exclusively buteo, but it is more of a case of geographical isolation than policy.
Current Rulers: Grand Matriarch Harria-Avari, 25.
Governance and Society: Buteo society is highly structured though the hawkkin are often considered wild and rambunctious. Much like the elves it’s the caste of society that they believe allows individual freedom.
   At the top of the caste is the Grand Matriarch. She is the religious and state head. Bellow her are the Twelve Daughters. While it might seem a misnomer due to the fact that several of the twelve are often older than the Matriarch, they serve as the various heads of governance. Bellow them is the high clergy, all female. The lower clergy allows men. Bellow them are the officer corps, again all female. Then come the military and junior officers, who can be male, after that comes the crafters and the merchant, then the labor class. These lower classes are more gender-egalitarian than the high castes. Despite the rigidity of the castes the buteos often are the happiest people; perhaps being able to fly away from anything is the reason.

A Brief History: The buteos were once one of the most feared menaces of any creature who lived on land. It is fabled that they were the reason the dwarves and early humans took shelter in the bosom of the earth. These reports are few and far between at best. Though the buteos often maintain that they were once a matriarchal-tribal people, they do not deny never going to war with every other race on Alabastra save the merfolk and gnomes.

The Magnificent City of High-Wing Aerie began construction one hundred and twenty-five years after the Dwarven Clans retreated back to Corvis to fight off the Blood March of the First Kull. This was also the time Avis-Talis became pervasively worshiped. To this day no race has been able to oust the buteos from their beloved Roostlands. They have developed a fierce and proud culture of magnificent architecture, art, and tradition.

The Kingdom of Altab’as
Symbol: The Crown of the Old Forest (Lethishi’vaas). A crown of branches, bright-red berries and Elven Mercy leaves.
Capital City: Arlsrea
Government: Highly-advanced feudal system. Arboreal elf-run.
Scale: 13 (Multiregional Kingdom)
Population: Almost all arboreal elves and half-elves. They enjoy embassies with every race with sovereignty, though.
Current Ruler: Salridan’caal, male, 593. King of all Elves, Master of the Lethios.
Governance and Society: Like the buteos the elves have a class of people who practice structure and law so that other may live free. These are the lethios, the protectors of elven tradition. At the top of the ruling class is the king, below him are the major lords, each major lord employs no more than five lethios. Each lethios controls a portion of the tree-top agriculture and sky-gardens. They also protect foreign interest and domestic peace.
   The rest of elven society is the citizenry. They are free to find occupation as a laborer or guildsmen. Several elves move between the trades perfecting a host of skills. Elves have the luxury of time that many other races can only dream of, this leads to elves being quite the cultural powerhouse.

A Brief History:  The elves are the second oldest race in Alabastra in terms of culture. The elves started out as a group of treetop dwelling barbarians. They roamed the forests of Altab’as and Gloriana. The ones in Altab’as were told by Daylin’vaas to found a great kingdom, the ones in Gloriana fled to what would become the frontier.

Daylin’vaas is considered the first king and establisher of the lethios. Whether or not this is true is up to debate as this is a story rooted in elven oral tradition. It is the elves of Altab’as who would become a driving, imperial force in the world for thousands of years.  Until the split with the auroral elves, then the War of the Mad King (The Varren der Drow’vaas) and finally the defeat in the War of the Crying Blossom saw the end of the elven empire.

The Great Tribe of the Aurora
Symbol: The Whale of the Aurora (It is the same symbol as the religion of Salinha’laan)
Capital City: Auororia, Great House of the Stars.
Government: A single tribe led by the Aurora priestess a great spirit shaman who has a council of t elders that bring her news of the realm once a year when they convene in the capital. Other than that society is ruled by survival, tradition, and spiritual guidance.
Scale: 12 (Multi-island nation)
Population: Arctic elves and half-elves. Some halflings, merfolk, and half merfolk.
Current Ruler: Avari’laan, female, 110.
Governance and Society: Arctic elves live by tradition in nature and the freedom that provides. They have great cities, but it comes more from their long lives and spending a large amount of time in one place. They rose up from the traditional trading places and meeting places. Each group and city elects the wisest among them to be elder and deliver the affairs of the nation to the aurora-princess the greatest spirit-shaman and fabled incarnation of Salinha’laan. The arctic elves live a balanced lifestyle. Though it is not equal, the reverence of nature is paramount.

A Brief History: The arctic elves are an offshoot of the elves of Altab’as. They broke away some time in the rule of Daylin’vaas. The reason is believed to be that of Salinha’laan’s affair with Abadon the God of the Four Winds. So the divine queen and king of the elves left one another and the two races of elves were born.

She left with her devout followers in many canoes and settled in the land of auroras, the Kosims Islands. There Salinha’laan established the Great Tribe for her loyal followers. There they established the law of the islands and began wandering them, communing with nature. They are a powerful force, and those who think their island nation easy prey are often surprised at the pain these tribal elves can inflict.

The Gnomish Meritocracy
Symbol: The Sigil of Merit. Three golden balls superimposed on a dark circle.
Capital City: Since the gnomes are a loosely affiliated group of communities that meet once a decade in the Barrow-Meet, the settlement rotates to one existing settlement each decade.
Government: A meritocracy.
Scale: 6 (city, for individual communities) 12 (multiregional kingdom, as a whole)
Population: Mostly gnomes, some dwarves, and a few halflings.
Current Ruler: There is a leader for each community, but at the Burrow-Meet they elect a Speaker for the Assembly who reigns as the speaker for the gnomish people in times of unity. Speaker Ulrid Bellwark, male, 290.
Governance and Society: Each community is ruled by the most-talented and fitting for the job. Every year the gnomes of a certain field are arranged in order of skill from highest, being the leaders, to lowest, say a student. These tops of their fields dictate policy for their community. The leaders of these communities elect the best among them to go represent them in the Barrow-Meet.
   Gnomish society is one of competition and skill. Gnomes compete intellectually and socially for position in the meritocracy. Some of the most important laws to the gnomes are laws against corruption. An unmotivated gnome often finds employ outside of the communities.

A Brief History: Gnomes are nearly as old as dwarves. It was the dwarves who aided our ascension out of antiquity. In fact, the gnomes were a vassal state of the dwarves. The dwarves would face gnomish rebellion. It would be the core event of the legend of Sargill Shimmerholt. Our patron god told us not to lead a revolt of arms but a revolt of labor. Without the gnomes to do the menial tasks of the First Clan they fractured and fell apart. At least, that is the legend.

Modern gnomes are a scientific and cultural people who live in various communities and have a major hand in the Arcano-Scientific Revolution. We are technicians and scientists.

The Merfolk City-States
Symbol: The Diamond Shell. A representation of a mythical item, it is a large swirling shell that looks made of crystal over a gold rhombus.
Capital City: Meropolis, a de facto capital of tradition.
Government: Individual senates for each independent city-state.
Scale: 14 (seafaring state) The merfolk attack all their enemies as one.
Population: Merfolk and half-merfolk. Though many other races pay visits and trade with the merfolk few can live and function normally in society.
Current Ruler: Karruko Tanachu to Mereni, Grand Singer of the Mer. Male, 159.
Governance and Society: The merfolk live in grand cities that reside underwater and sometimes partially on land as well. Each city-state has its own recorder. The recorder resides over the senates of each of the city-states and records the goings on of the city for the meeting of the Great Senate every ten years. There they elect a new grand singer.
   Merfolk society is a republic. Citizens elect senators and they convene to make laws. All merfolk serve five years in the army though there is a standing army that has rotations in each of the merfolk cities. Merfolk enjoy a fairly free lifestyle, but see themselves as citizens of their city first and citizens of the merfolk race at large.

A Brief History: The merfolk are a mysterious race. They have very little in the way of a written record. Like the halflings, the merfolk put more attention on an oral tradition. This is evident in their governmental naming conventions.

Little is known outside of the accounts of the merfolk about the merfolk people. Dwelling at the bottom of the cold, icy oceans the merfolk leave little evidence behind for scientific study. Given the merfolk penchant for never telling the whole truth most of the time, this confound anthropologists.

The Wandering Halfling Nomads
Symbol: The Horn of Odessa. It is simply the horn from Odessa’s holy symbol.
Capital City: The halflings have no capital city; the tribes tend to come together at certain points within the year and trade. Some halfling nomadic tribes do not move far from established cities. Some choose never to see a city.
Government: A sole leader of each tribe, usually the eldest ranger, druid, or cleric.
Scale: 10 (global march). Just because halflings eschew cities of their own they are still a formidable force in Alabastra.
Population: Exclusively halfling. Something other walk with them, but the halflings keep their traditions away from others.
Current Ruler: Varies from tribe to tribe.
Governance and Society: Each band of wandering halflings choses its own leader. The default rule of thumb is the eldest ranger, druid, or cleric of Odessa. The halfling society is one of means and survival. Even the ones who live by the cities and in the civilized lands are natural-born survivalists. They love their long marches, and it is an important part of their culture.
   The society of one of work and survival, the halflings live in a hard and fast world. They believe in survival above all else. There are few luxuries, and the halflings cherish the few ones they do have.

A Brief History: The halflings have always walked the drifts and plains of Alabastra. If any race has been to every continent, it is the halflings. They are the race of Alabastra most in touch with their roots in antiquity. They have adopted some technologies over the centuries. However, they have an orally focused record like the merfolk. Add into the fact that halflings are loathe to divulge their traditions by nature.

Halflings have often been called upon to fight the forces of evil, either by standing spear to shield with others or destroying the odd evil artifact, halflings are not a force to be taken lightly.

Regions

Greater Gloriana
Greater Gloriana

Greater Gloriana is not actually the continent of Gloriana, but it is the grouping of the areas of Gloriana, Telvidia, and the Kosims Islands. This is the only region in Alabastra that is treated like this, and it’s due to the highly-diverse nations in such close (relatively speaking) proximity.

Gloriana: The traditional homeland of some of the greatest human empires. Gloriana consists of a few forests and mountains; however, most of it is sweeping tundratic hills and large lakes. It is the birthplace of St. Bellia, and it has been the site of many conflicts of humanity. It was the region of the War of the Crying Blossom where humanity expelled elves from Gloriana and pushed them down into Telvidia.

Telvidia: The subcontinent of Gloriana, Telvidia has a relatively small human presence. It is a land more commonly associated with the dwarves and elves. It is a continent filled with a small number of large mountains and forests. It is separated from Gloriana proper is the Oricanos Mountains. It is a strange hub where many races come together in old colonial holdings. It has become a wild place full of forgotten places and sites.

Kosims Islands: The traditional homeland of the auroral (arctic) elves. They have a few large settlements, but mostly they live in the traditional villages of their people. The islands themselves are a large chain of volcanically formed islands. They have small forested areas and a few single mountain peaks. They are colder than most places in Gloriana, but far from the coldest place in Alabastra. A merfolk city-state also resides in the waters off the Kosims coastline.
Barden and Corvis
Barden

The birthplace of the Maritime Duchy of Barden, a constitutional, mercantile dukedom, this region tends to be treated as a major crossroad to all of Alabastra. Barden is a tundratic river-land that has a few hills to the east, but it has no landmass or large sprawling urban areas. There are however plenty of coastal areas that extensively built up. There are a number of traditional halfling settlements throughout Barden, and they are treated with a degree of respect by the resident humans. They share the Uldan Mountains with the dwarf empire of Corvis.

Corvis

The mountainous and rugged homeland of all dwarves, Corvis is one of the more arctic environments in Alabastra due to the northern water and air currents that come off of Dotembaas. There are few flat areas in Corvis and most of its bounty is beneath the earth. There are a few rough areas and wooded parts of the rugged continent on the southern coastal areas that gnomes and halflings hunt and trap.

Alatab'as and Hatim
Alatab’as

The mighty and ancient homeland of the arboreal elves, with its tall and ageless area it is a region from the younger parts of time. The mighty ancient hardwoods lift their magnificent treetop cities from the earth. There is little space that is not covered in some type of forest, even if they are not the massive ancient city-trees. It has a mild, somewhat rainy, climate and attracts beings the world over.

Hatim

The buteo homeland, it is much like Corvis in nature, but smaller. The mountains of Hatim are much older, and with fewer paths. They are an older range of mountains than those in Corvis, but the buteos are not known for building road. It is a land of mountains; the subcontinent is mostly covered in misty peaks. Recent digs by archeologists indicate that dwarves lived in the Hatim Mountains in ages past, but now it is home to the hawkkin.

Calypscopia, Letheal Islands, and Dotembaas
Calypscopia

Home to the northern merfolk city-states, it is a primitive place above the cold waves. Most of the settlements are merfolk city-states beneath the surface of the water. There are a few multi-racial trading posts and ports for those who want to dare the wilds of the islands and reefs. The true beauty of the islands is located well beneath the steel-gray waves.

The Lethel Islands

The southern merfolk city-states reside here. They also contain the de facto capital-state of the merfolk. It is a more-settled region. Some of the merfolk cities even go onto land to deal with the trade that goes on between the numerous large mercantile areas. The islands are colder than average and have some adverse weather. The underwater gardens of the merfolk are a sight to behold.

Dotembaas

The frozen wastelands situated to the far north of Alabastra. Despite a few halfling posts there is nothing of any really note. Some scrub and shoal on the coast, but no forests or rocky mountains to speak of. It is a land of ice and glaciers. It used by several pirates and groups of brigands who make coastal fortresses. Orcs also like to live and raise their huge sheep here.

Organizations:

The Seven Barbarian Tribes
Symbol: Each of the tribes has their own animal totem. Each worships their totem devoutly.
Capital City: There are no cities for the barbarians, but they do meet in sacred places of the dominant tribe.
Government: Rule of the strongest. The strongest barbarians of all the tribes meet and decide which tribe rules through blood-sport.
Scale: (8, barbarian tribe) this is for one tribe.
Population: Wild humans, half-orcs, half-buteos, some elves, and half-elves.
Current Ruler: Bulgrush, Horse tribe. Half-orc, 20. Rule is determined by the strongest warrior. This warrior is usually the chief of his or her tribe, and then his tribe becomes the dominant tribe of the clans.
Governance and Society: Barbarian rule is the rule of the fittest. This usually means strength or cunning.
   Barbarian society, if it can be called that is much more wild and free. There is a loose order to the way things are done, but they tend to have a respect for power.
A Brief History: Barbarian history is some of the sketchiest. It relies heavily on oral tradition. Still, there are times when the tribes have risen up against society, and there are times that they are called upon to defend Alabastra. They are no hard and fast rules for dealing with the barbarians. They are dangerous and powerful. This makes them an influential force in Alabastra.

The Monk Schools
Symbol: Each school uses a single word from the Buteoi alphabet. These words often influence what the school teaches.
Capital City: Each monastery is its own governing body, and is its own center of governance.
Government: Each monastery can have its own way of governing, but most adopt the model of master and students of various ranks.
Scale: 3 or 4 (small or large monasteries)
Population: Any being willing to learn is welcome at most monasteries. Though most are humans, half-elves, half-buteos, and some elves.
Current Ruler: Depends on the monastery.
Society and Governance: The monk schools have a simple rule of law. Obey the master and any student above you. Be disciplined, be vigilant.
A Brief History: The monks come from monasteries formed by an ancient order of half-buteos. They were founded in antiquity when the first humans wed with buteos. The offspring of such marriages were not shunned, but found they had a difficult time of finding where they belonged. They were wingless, but faster than humans in many ways. This brought unease from both races. Some of these first children left and built a monastery high on one of Hatim’s farthest peaks. There they sought inner-peace.
   However, the orcs of that peak thought they could extort or destroy these peaceful people. The first monastery came under heavy attack and was only saved by the nearby buteo city of High-Wing Aerie. Vowing never to be defenseless the surviving monks began developing martial skills. The great tradition was born.
   Soon philosophical differences or simple wanderlust overtook some of the senior students and they left to form their own schools. Today nine distinct ways of fighting exist among the monks. The traditional way, and eight off-shooting styles are all within one monastery or another.
   At first the monasteries were for half-buteos only, but even the traditional style would relax in this regard and most schools accept any willing student. Humans, half-buteos, half-elves, and half orcs are most common though.

Circle of Kalhae
Symbol: The Tree of Kalhae
Capital City: The location of the circle is a secret to those in the order.
Government: The Elder Druid
Scale: 4 (Druid Circle)
Population: Mostly elves and half-elves, some humans and peaceful half-orcs.
Current Ruler: Unknown at the printing of this book.
Governance and Society: All druid circles seek to let nature take its course. The Followers of Kalhae believe in a peaceful nature and are historically more forgiving than those of Terranack. This does not mean they are especially benevolent, however.
A Brief History: Sadly, little is known about the druid circle itself. Only the actions it has taken throughout history allow us to glean any information from it. The Followers of Kalhae are peaceful, and have only risen in defense of nature in the past. They do not seek open confrontation with society, only to keep nature as pure as they can.

The Circle of Terranack
Symbol: The holy symbol of Terranack.
Capital City: Unknown, like Kalhae’s.
Government: Elder Druid
Scale: 5 (large druid circle)
Population: Mostly elves and half elves, many from the barbarian tribes. Some humans and half-orcs are members, too.
Current Ruler: Unknown.
Governance and Society: Terranack is much more aggressive and so are his followers. This circle appeals most to the barbarian tribes. These followers live by the impartiality and sometimes cruel whims of nature. They are a contrast to the circle of Kalhae.
A Brief History: The order of Terranack is much more aggressive so more, if not much more, is known about it. They often wage wars on society, destroying ships and drift ships. They do not care for the technological and magical advancement of the world and will protect Alabastra at any cost.

Mage Colleges & Schools

Wizards are not born they are made. There are several mage colleges in Alabastra that teach the arcane arts and studies.

The Arcane Institute

The Arcane Institute is the oldest tradition of magical learning in Alabastra. Located in Gloriana this city-sized college is home to every discipline of magic known to any being on the face of the planet. A degree from this institute would be prestigious indeed. It is run by the Archmage of the institute, and it is completely independent.

The Arcanium

Not quite as old as the Arcane Institute, the Arcanium is located in Barden. It is a state-funded institution for the duchy and is beholden to its current ruler. It has a fine magical program and is quite prestigious; it also offers more state-funded scholarships and an easier battle-mage education than the Institute

The Lutesong Academy of the Arts

The only non-merfolk run bards college in Alabastra. It provides the greatest education in the bardic arts. Tuition can be steep, but they do offer talent-based scholarships. Unlike the Arcanium, the Academy is not beholden to the duchy. Many students apply each year only to be rejected.

The Gnomish University for the Sciences

Though now a multi-racial institution the Gnomish Academy is the greatest gift ever given to Alabastra by the gnomes. It provides a magical and mundane education, and it is much more exclusive about whom it lets into its halls. While not so in the past there are now programs for students who do not live as long as gnomes.

Companies and Orders

The Abbey of Swords

The great monastery nestled high in the jagged Corvis Mountains was founded by a master half-buteo monk sometime in the initial founding of the separate monk schools. It varies in discipline from them in that it believes in the innate power of any weapon. It is the most-visited of any martial monastery. Many warriors unaffiliated with the abbey visit it. In the past the dwarves and bandits alike have tried to take the Abbey of swords for their Library of Weapons, which is reputed to have many intelligent weapons within it.

The Eastern-Wind Trading Co.

Founded in Barden some two-hundred years ago the maritime organization was founded by a Capricus Alberson in order to capitalize on the need for trade between the various areas of Barden. Within Alberson’s lifetime the company would expand to a supreme maritime trading institution that shipped in any human land or frontier. In recent years it has become a venerable, self-contained entity with fleets of sailing ships and a great number of drift-ships.

The Surface Consortium

The main trading arm of the dwarven clans, the Surface Consortium, or more simply the Consortium, rivals the East-Wind Trading Co. in many ways, though the Consortium usually only deals with elves or gnomes. They are run by some of the smaller Surface Clans backed by one or two of the Deep Clans. They often have some of the most in-demand crafts and materials.

The Society of Magi

A collective of the various magical institutions, the society is made up of magic users from all walks of life, and every race and society. Their job is to regulate the manufacture, distribution, and laws governing magical items and the use of magic in the civilized areas between sovereign nations. They are the organization responsible for the Rules of Magical Warfare which every civilized society adheres.

The Order of the Arbiters

While much older an order than the Society of Magi, and historically often at odds with it, the Order of the Arbiters is a society of magical assassins, in both terms. They use magic, and they specialize in killing aberrations and evil spellcasters. They are a lawful and consider themselves good or at the very least neutral. In the Magewar Treaty the Arbiters agreed to be the enforcement arm of the Society of Magi. They are independent of the Society, however. The Society lives in nervous fear of this fact form time to time.

The White Wardens

One of the ranger schools of Altab’as and Gloriana. Originally founded by a group of half-elves in Altab’as nearly four hundred years ago it was created to teach frontier elves and some humans how to survive in the harsh wilderness of Alabastra. Now they have two major chapters and countless smaller ones in the frontiers of the world. The schools train the best rangers and scouts in the world.

The Snow-Sabers

One of the mercenary companies of the Gloriana frontier, the Snow-Sabers are a professional military force with an officially recognized charter. They are often hired to supplement the forces of companies like the East-Wind Trading Co. They are also hired by the various militaries of the world. They are recognizable by their white and silver embroidery and styling. They hold themselves to a high standard.

The Howling-Seas Brigands   

Another mercenary company sometimes considered nothing more than pirates. They are not considered very upstanding in many people’s eyes, but they are probably not the worst company to hire from by far. Once a maritime group of privateers, they have expanded into land-based operations as well. They are hired when the job is not entirely legitimate and records are not exactly a requirement. Their infamous reputation provides the most knowledge of the company’s activities.

The Shadow Mark

Sometimes referred to only as the Mark, the Shadow Mark is a mysterious order of assassins. They have made and broken regimes. Little is known about this dark order of hired blades, but the despicable needs of various beings means that their services are always in demand.

The Chill-Born Brotherhood

The premier guild of fighters and warriors for all of Alabastra, they lack the ties and numbers to compete with the numbers of fighters to act in military-style operations. However, in terms of skill each member of the guild is renowned for their impressive abilities. If the need is for a skilled and quickly-mobilized force the Chill-Born Brotherhood is the organization needed. Their halls are second to none and their celebrations are legendary.

The Thieves Guild

Sometimes called the Guild or the Organization, Thieves Guild is just a name given to an organization that does not actually have a name. There does not appear to be a charter or structure to these guilds of thieves. Some chapters are nothing but brigands and thugs and others are considered covert larcenists. There are plenty of accounts on record, but little is actually known about the inner-workings of these organizations.

The Long-March

Like the White Wardens there is an organization in Barden and Corvis that is half paramilitary mercenary company and half ranger school. It was the brainchild of a group of humans and halflings that had decided to leave their tribes. For years the Barden Duchy have been trying to bring the organization under the state government to no avail. They often lack the general reverence of nature as the White Wardens, and typically see nature as something to be moved through and mastered.

The Black Scars

A group of powerful, but somewhat disorganized mercenaries that form a company, there is no job the Black Scars will not take. They are often hired to do heinous acts for mysterious employers. However, there have been times that the company (rarely) has done good for enough coin. They are not precisely considered evil, just amoral. They are a very serious threat to any opponent of their goals. They base in the far north and have a few areas in the northern wilds of Corvis.

Churches Part 1
The Church of the Eternal Empress
The church of most of humankind it is worshiped widely in Gloriana and Barden by many people from all strata of society. The church preaches kindness, humility, charity, and obedience. It has a more authoritarian side that tempers this noble message however.

The Hammer of the Stars

The church of the dwarves and their patron deity Ferrorun, it is members include all of dwarfkind and some craftsmen (though they rarely join the order proper). This church preaches structure and law above all else and rewards traits like shrewd intelligence and hard work.

The Church of the Great Eagle

The church of the buteo people, its patron god is Avis-Talis. It is the state institution and the chief enforcer of the caste system. It is a church that espouses the virtues of competition and the strong, but it tempers its message with beliefs in aiding those who cannot help themselves.

The Lethiate

The Lethiate is the code and message of Daylin’vaas, patron god of the arboreal elves. It is the belief that a few must sacrifice their own personal freedoms so that the populace at large can live free. It has two parts. One for the lethios and the other is about the population at large. If you are of the former, you’re supposed to believe in freedom and the obligation to those who allow you to have it. If you are of the lethios then you believe in those whom you serve and the task set before you.

The Mother Spirit

The religious institution of the auroral elves, it believes in a harmony with the environs they have made their home. It preaches balance with the world in which you live, it is very similar to druidism, but the belief that their patron deity is reincarnated upon the death of the last great spirit shaman. This belief is not held by the druids.

The Grand Choir

The church of the merfolk city states, all merfolk attend it and sing in its services at some point in their lives. It’s often a great treat for visitors to see one of these grand services. The merfolk church preaches the beauty of all things and how to listen to the music of the world. Like many good churches it also teaches virtues like peace and charity.

The Temple of the Five Wits

The church of the gnomish people, the Temple of the Five Wits exemplifies both the scholarly and mischievous sides of gnomish culture. It honors the virtues of helpfulness toward the community as well as fun and the pursuits of the mind and senses. These are the things are what the gnomish people hold highest overall, and these traits are embodied in the Temple of the Five Wits.

Churches Part 2
The Way of the Land

The religious institution of the halfling people, it is the sovereign church of Odessa. Though the halflings have no church in the traditional sense, there are countless way-shrines, much like Talisand’s. The traditional meeting places of the halflings usually have a more permanent shrine to their goddess. The church preaches aid, survival, and reverence of the natural bounty of the world.

The Path of Furthest Horizon

While not a large religion there is a following of merchants and travelers who pay small homage to Talisand, the god of roads. Talisand has no official churches, but he has many way-shrines dedicated to his name and tended by the few clerics he attracts. In a world as dangerous as Alabastra, leaving a tithe to the god of safe travel is rarely a bad idea.

The Elder Library

A single-building institution, part church and part arcane institution, the Elder Library is fabled to be the study of the great magus Aborrad. It is an ancient place, and some say it has not been fully explored. The Arcanium was built where it was because of the recently unearthed Elder Library. Many people visit to study and worship. It preaches to the ideas of discipline, diligence, and knowledge.

The Zealots of Storms

The cult of Cyroca, elder sister of Abadon. Like many evil deities there is no established church organization. However, the cult of Cyroca is probably the most well-known of the evil deity cults. Evil pirates and her own clerics often establish small followings within large cities to help so chaos and discord.

The Order of Tyndrella

The darkest and sickest of the evil cults, the Order of Tyndrella is a dark organization dedicated to the perversion of the Laws of Magic. Dark wizards, warlocks, and the vilest of necromancers worship at the black, deep shrines of this evil mistress. There are rumors that her highest priests and clerics truly cease being any kind of recognizable, decent race, fouler than the vilest goblinoid.
Churches Part 3
The Wylde Hunt

The cult of Londero. It is a wild organization that mainly stays on the frontier. Its actual evil nature is less malignant and more chaotic. Though the god they worship is considered lawful the organization is one of a hunt. Worships of Londero meet and go on the Wylde Hunt. It is more of a force of nature, a wild rampage across a section of Alabastra, wiping out barbarian and villager alike.

The Revelry

The closest thing Scarmiglione has to a church is the Revelry. The Revelry is an organization of thespians, artists, bards, and performers that congregate together in towns and cities to celebrate their patron in a fit of wild hedonism and artistic expression. It is often the detriment of many large towns as riots are common; however, as harsh as Alabastra is, many a ruler knows not to get rid of this ancient tradition.

The Church of the Dark Mistress

A dark and mysterious cult of worshipers of the Void, it is the supposed patron church of the lineage of the Mad King, Though these rumors of some subterranean cult of “dark” elves. The Church of the Dark Mistress has appeared in various histories and scholarly texts as well as the personal journals of the Mad King himself. Still, even with these vague accounts there is a pervasive nature to the Church of the Dark mistress in Alabastra, it’s not something to disregard lightly.

The Blood Calling

The religious establishment of the orcs of Alabastra, the Blood Calling is more of an extensive set of tribal laws. These are the rights and laws of all the established orc tribes. All orcs are beholden to the Blood Calling, to be found weak before it is tantamount to death. Little is known about the minutia of the rituals and structure of it, but accounts that it is very strength-based.

The Order of the Dark One

The religious establishment of the goblins and other goblinoids, it is the institution set down by the Dark One, Ulkath. It is a highly lawful church and can in times of cohesive goblin leaders rival the power of the Church of the Eternal Empress. The dark rituals and rights of the church are secrets, but accounts have spoken of great underground churches of dark majesty.

The Rights of Contest and Glory

The rituals established around Nestamedes, the god of sport and contest. While there is an established organization it is hardly as institutionalized as many more-traditional churches there is a shrine to Nestamedes, complete with its own ever-burning torch. Every major settlement boasts a shrine or small temple to the god of contest, and every major sporting event or game is preceded by an observation of the patron god of contest.

Order of the Twin Suns

Though somewhat defunct since the rise of the Church of the Eternal Empress, the church of Atrius and Atria is still well worshiped especially by human pioneers trying to settle the frontier. They are usually worshiped together in the same institution. The divide is seen more as a friendly schism between the two different kinds of worshipers. One’s services are in the morning and the others are at night. The Order of the Twin Suns is even somewhat implemented in the traditions of the Church of the Eternal Empress.

The Cult of the Final Court

The dark cult of the lord of death himself, the Cult of the Final Court is the church of Dolmascus. The church of death is just as morbid as one might think. The accounts of human sacrifice, torturous games and other heinous acts are numerous. The worshipers of Dolmascus revel in slaughter and unfair chances. They can be some of the cruelest beings imaginable, as embodied by their church.

Inkidu

And for the near future this is open!

You don't have to memorize anything. Post and PM your profiles. This is not first come first serve and people who posted interest in the original request thread get priority. I need a bit of a break, and I'll definitely work to make weapons, backgrounds, and etc. Just need to get some food and coffee in me.

This thread will remain open no longer than a week.

EDIT: So I'm going to give this one more week to try and get some more feedback. I don't want to lose the momentum though, but we might be past that point. I'm not sure.

Florence

Haha! As I stated in the interest thread, I've been eager to play a game of this. Not sure exactly what I'll play just yet, though, but I've got a few ideas.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Inkidu

Quote from: Florence on September 15, 2014, 10:01:51 PM
Haha! As I stated in the interest thread, I've been eager to play a game of this. Not sure exactly what I'll play just yet, though, but I've got a few ideas.
Nifty, PM me if you've got any questions and I'll definitely try to get them explained. I'm re-reading the Player's handbook now.

AndyZ

Playing with various ideas for this.  I don't always do well with huge amounts of setting info off the bat, though, for which I apologize.

I'd be tempted to do my Warlock idea, but she's not exactly sane.  Some people enjoy that and some don't.  Muttering and scared crazy but still capable of discerning friend from foe and following a battle plan.  (Not unusual for making a pact with something like Cthulhu).

Haven't done a rogue in a while, and my rogues don't steal from the party but they've been known to steal from NPCs.  Would probably be better not to go that route if we're going to have a paladin.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Florence

Quote from: AndyZ on September 16, 2014, 12:15:45 AM
Playing with various ideas for this.  I don't always do well with huge amounts of setting info off the bat, though, for which I apologize.

I'd be tempted to do my Warlock idea, but she's not exactly sane.  Some people enjoy that and some don't.  Muttering and scared crazy but still capable of discerning friend from foe and following a battle plan.  (Not unusual for making a pact with something like Cthulhu).

Haven't done a rogue in a while, and my rogues don't steal from the party but they've been known to steal from NPCs.  Would probably be better not to go that route if we're going to have a paladin.

Similarly I was thinking between either a rogue or a wizard.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

AndyZ

Laughing Hyena is thinking fighter.  Florence, you want to take wizard and I'll aim for rogue?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Florence

Quote from: AndyZ on September 16, 2014, 12:29:40 AM
Laughing Hyena is thinking fighter.  Florence, you want to take wizard and I'll aim for rogue?

Alright! Works for me! :D

Laughing Hyena

I was thinking fighter indeed but in light of the campaign setting I smell an opportunity as a sorcerer instead. I'd need the DM however to work that out.

AndyZ

Florence, since Hyena is thinking sorcerer, you want rogue left open in case you want to switch from it?  Sorcerer and wizard are very similar, so I'd get if you didn't want both.

Florence

xD! I'm getting whiplash here, people!

Obviously its up to the DM who gets in and whatnot, so I guess there's not much point making sure its all a perfect 1-character-per-class split, or anything.

I'm not quite sure which concept is calling to me more...

If I went with rogue, what would you play?

AndyZ

Not honestly sure.  Would you be the kind of char that would work well with a paladin, or would we end up causing each other problems?

Florence

Quote from: AndyZ on September 16, 2014, 01:30:16 AM
Not honestly sure.  Would you be the kind of char that would work well with a paladin, or would we end up causing each other problems?

Hmmm... I could make a rogue work well enough, it depends just how harsh the paladin is I think. I could do a rogue who may pocket some coin here or there, but is ultimately a good person.

So if they're the type that would be like... honor-bound to kill them for pickpocketing, then they might not work as a team, but otherwise, they might be the types who bicker and argue, but ultimately work together when it counts.

Edit: If you've played Dragon Age 2, think Isabela and Aveline. xD

AndyZ

I never played DA2, but I think I understand what you're saying.

I still owe Laughing Hyena one, so I'll hold off on making and give you the okay to go for rogue.  If I end up going paladin, I'm pretty sure we can make that work decently ^_^

Florence

Quote from: AndyZ on September 16, 2014, 01:45:46 AM
I never played DA2, but I think I understand what you're saying.

I still owe Laughing Hyena one, so I'll hold off on making and give you the okay to go for rogue.  If I end up going paladin, I'm pretty sure we can make that work decently ^_^

\o/ Short version: Isabela's a pirate, Aveline is a city guard, if you put them both in your party at the same time, they will have hilarious bickering and arguing, but by the end of the game you get the idea that they're really friends despite their ideological differences and constant arguing xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3siofVxzsbY <- might contain spoilers.

AndyZ

I'll skip the spoilers just in case I ever finish the first game and start on the second, but sounds like a good rundown ^_^

Might even use the Warlock.

Muse

Hi Enkidu. 

I wanted you to know that this looks really interesting. 

I'm about to take a nap, but I'll try and look into an application--or at least a better look over your awesome setting--in the morning. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rajah

I'm pretty much definitely going to write up an arboreal half-elf with some mix of rogue and warlock - maybe a child of the Mad King's benighted bloodline - so whatever y'all're doing there'll be some competition as far as "slots" go.  :P Mind you, the more interest this picks up the more of that there'll be.

And speaking as to the warlock, and I suppose the sorcerer while we're at it: we've got a really great image of Alabastra's geography, culture, and religions; how about its supernatural outliers? What's Hell like, whenceforth come demons and devils and such, if there's a difference or if they exist at all? Are there fey? How do they get along with the elves? And of course, dragons - what legends or tales are told about them?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Laughing Hyena

I'll be back in a while since I have to get my teeth refilled after filings had fallen out.

Inkidu

Wow okay, I didn't think I'd have to put in this house rule, but (and don't flog me, it was in the setting from the get-go)

There can only ever be two warlocks who make a pact with the Void (i.e. great old ones) and it's not always voluntary.

So lets just say there's only one Great Old One's pact open.

(Which 5e has made better, previously there were only two warlocks at a time not just a certain pact)

Rajah

Quote from: Inkidu on September 16, 2014, 06:38:45 AMThere can only ever be two warlocks who make a pact with the Void (i.e. great old ones) and it's not always voluntary.

So lets just say there's only one Great Old One's pact open.

See, now I want to do that because you made it special. Why'd ya have ta go and do a thing like that for.  :-( Anyway, I was originally more interested in trying out the Fiend Pact, so: can I hear about fiends?

Inkidu

You've got three planes of evil one for the neutral, lawful, and chaotic. Fiends pretty much are chaotic-evil Hellions. If I'm remembering correctly. I haven't done a lot of extra-planar stuff.

Also, everyone should be aware: I missed a couple of field in the character profile (Class and Gender). The coded profile is up to date though.

EDIT: More on Fiends or at least a pact. You'll be dealing with a solitary entity and you're going to be taking orders. Though your bond to a demon doesn't have to be voluntary. Allowing you be good, or your character might have been desperate at some point. So you might end up trying to find creative ways of accomplishing the task, and unless they have true sight you're the only one seeing your task master most times.

The Great Old Ones, well you don't want them to come visit you personally...

Rajah

Mm. So that's kind of a massive and totally unanticipated downside. When you say "orders", the stuff about creative accomplishment indicates you can't just not follow those orders - you're saying that unique out of the PHB classes, Warlocks do not consistently have free will? That sounds pretty unpleasant as far as houserules go. Any chance to mitigate that?