Rage across the wild (werewolf the apocolypse 20th/horror/mystery)

Started by lillisa, March 29, 2019, 04:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lillisa

So upon a request I've decided to run a Werewolf the apocalypse game.

I'll not elaborate too much about the setting, our chief weapon is surprise! Surprise and Fear, Fear and Surprise..., but here are the details one would need to know.

The characters have only recently undergone their first change. To comply with the site, and generate realisitic characters, ages should be between 16 and 23 years of age.
They are part of the Sept of the Northern Henge, which is located in Mugdock national park in Milngavie (Pronounced Mullguy), which is just north of Glasgow Scotland.
Tribes which are common within the sept are: Children of Gaia, Fianna, Get of Fenris, Glasswalkers.
Tribes which are less common, but still available: Black Furies, Bone Gnawers, Shadow Lords, Silent Striders Silver Fangs
Tribes which are not available: Red Talons, Stargazers, Uktena, Wendigo.

All characters must be Homid or Metis. Lupus characters undergo first change around 3-4 years of age, and therefore would violate site rules.
Characters will be built using W:TA 20th anniversary rules.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The above is only for reference and to get inspiration. Character building will be a group thing. I will be selecting 5 players who together will build one pack. This will allow for a spread of auspices as well as using communal resources like totem.

I will add players accepted below. Please be aware that this is a long term and intensive campaign. People dropping out after two or three posts can really hurt the game.

So please do not apply unless you are absolutely serious about playing.

Tavarokk

How lost would I be if I found the book now and tried to make sense of it in time for the deadline? Assuming my prior experience with WoD-derived systems is limited to 3E Exalted game that died at the start.

Also, any idea yet if it'll be more of a plotline or a slice of life game?
Quote from: lillisa on March 29, 2019, 04:20:54 AM
Lupus characters undergo first change around 3-4 years of age, and therefore would violate site rules.
Huh, so that rule applies to non-humans?

Pumpkin Seeds

I could try to bring aboard a Bone Gnawer punk rocker if that is alright.

lillisa

Quote from: Tavarokk on March 29, 2019, 12:05:17 PM
How lost would I be if I found the book now and tried to make sense of it in time for the deadline? Assuming my prior experience with WoD-derived systems is limited to 3E Exalted game that died at the start.

Also, any idea yet if it'll be more of a plotline or a slice of life game?
Huh, so that rule applies to non-humans?

I'm doubting myself here now, I read it that way, but now the and/or has me somewhat confused. I'm going to check it out, but for now to err on the side of caution it will stand.

WoD systems are quite complex, but at the end of the day I can walk you through the right steps easily enough.

the lore of Werewolf is vast and incredibly convoluted, but your character will at most know one percent of it, so don't worry about it too much.

Looking at the book, skim through chapters one and two. Check chapter three to see what kind of character you wish to play. The rest can come later

Chulanowa

I don't think the age thing would apply; E wants characters to be adults, and all garou, regardless of chronological age, have their first change at roughly the same point of physical and mental maturity; 16-19 for homids, 8-10 for metis, 2-4 for lupus. A three year old lupus who has their first change will appear as, and have the full mental and emotional capacities of a 17-ish human.

The question comes up a bit in settings with fantasy races or clones or whatnot.  ;D

Tavarokk

I'm pretty set of Fianna (Uktena would be nice, but alas, it's Scotland). Young, a bit of a hippie (sans drugs and bizarre fashion choices), probably at least a little versed in the spiritual, although it remains to be seen to which degree.

Does anyone want to go to school together? It'd probably be needlessly obstructive if it's just me, but might be fun if there's two or more of us still having to study.

HopeFox

Ooh, I haven't played WtA in ages! I'd be very interested to join! I have a concept for a Get of Fenris Philodox political science student who would be just the right age for this.
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

Hey are you still accepting Applications? if so would a  Fianna Metis adopted by the Children of Gaia work for this game. She is a sept farm hand and guardian of the kinfolk.

Elven Sex Goddess

Werewolf the Apocalypse,  have a idea for a homid, Glasswalker, ragabash.     One who works in the pack as the one to scout out situations.  Also will question the leaders.  As often  most miss one of the significant dynamic of a ragabash and that is too question authority.   To find the flaws and reveal them if any to the alpha, pack and sept.   Just as ahroun our are warriors,  philodoxes our judges of the sacred laws, galliards are lore keepers and the theurges our spiritual guides. 

In the pack hierarchy she is one of the  subordinate wolfs,  neither a alpha or beta and or a omega.   In general she is what one would say middle class in hierarchy of pack and sept social structure. 

Her father is garou and her mother is a kinfolk.   

Finally I am open and wanting to work with any others in shaping the background and creating the pack, in bringing it to life.

Her age I not set on it,  but it will be somewhere between 16 and 23 years of age.    I'll place it close to within the pack general age group.

If no lupus is fine,  especially if going by recent first change.  With newly formed pack.  It make sense to say no lupus  even without the age.   

Ironwolf85

recently finished up a game of mage, and involved in vampire.

Wondering if I could port either of the characters over.

James Saker is a biker turned son-of-aether. Hard drinking, hard fighting, mechanic with an atom-punk punch to back up his hot headed nature.
Sorta cross francis from Left 4 Dead with abby from NCIS, and you got a good idea of how he plays.

The other is Bertha Bentwell or B.B.
female tzzemzee surgeon with a lot of social and medical skills who stripped her way through medical school before later being embraced, and by this point in the ongoing game. She's a master of viscicitude and koldunic sorcerery.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Marie Reynolds

Hello Ironwolf85,

Cool characters, I think the main focus of the game is werewolf  but that will definitely be up to the gm to let in other supernaturals.
Well not the gm or anything but bringing a walking ball of wyrm taint aka the vampire into a werewolf game might not be the best idea.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Tavarokk on March 29, 2019, 02:50:50 PM
I'm pretty set of Fianna (Uktena would be nice, but alas, it's Scotland). Young, a bit of a hippie (sans drugs and bizarre fashion choices), probably at least a little versed in the spiritual, although it remains to be seen to which degree.

Does anyone want to go to school together? It'd probably be needlessly obstructive if it's just me, but might be fun if there's two or more of us still having to study.

I like the idea of still being in school.   Gives a backdrop of my ragabash to push and test the limits of authority.   

Now my character is going to be nerdy tech goth girl.   So her fashion choices will be outside the norm.   An would offer a common ground of being different for the characters to become friends and then pack mates.       

Marie Reynolds

Well Illsa has not commented on me bringing in my  Metis Character, If so she is a bit of a farm hand but since Ill be making some changes to the character to fit the new location to the characters back story. But I have Harvester with a academics three and specialization in Agriculture, So I could  maybe work in her going to school. though it might have to be mostly online considering  her responsibilities to the sept since a pack has not taken the  metis in. She helps the Kinfolk with maintaining  a sept owned farm and protecting the kinfolk.

Muse

*Raises his hand* 

I'm not sure what concept i'll pitch yet, Tavarrok, but Arthen (first rank) werewolves in high school are extremely thematic.  :)  Puberty is very often what triggers the first change.  Werewolves are a tangled mess of explosive passions at any age.  They need to learn to channel those emotions and--eventually--learn how to roll with them--and more importantly when!  This theme dovetails brilliantly with teenagers coming of age 

I was waiting for lillisa to confirm that there was space in the game, but I'm giving serious thought to some manner of Silver Fang with some Klavinsar.  Maybe Galiard or Philidox depending on what other characters are pitched. 

Alternatively, Theurge are REALLY interesting all around. 

Ironwolf, obviously it's up to Lillisa what's welcome in the game.  I should point out that a werewolf game usually centers around Werewolf culture and society--which is very rich and intricate.  While playing an outsider trying to participate in this society--at least somewhat--is an interesting roll playing challenge indeed--it is often too difficult to be worth the trouble. 

A vampire would in all likelihood be ripped to shreds the moment his nature was discovered.  James might be tolerated and worked with, though he'd be under constant scrutiny from Sept to make sure he wasn't trying to damage the Caern to harness quintessence, or giving the sept's secrets to other dangerous magi. 

Other things that tend to complicate matters for mages running with werewolves include: 
--Werewolves can both take and dish out a good deal more physical punishment than most  mages can hope to deal with. 
--Every werewolf can Step Sideways into the Umbra, whereas a mage requires Spirit Sphere at 3+ to do so. 
--Werewolf shape changing gives them mobility that few mages can match. 
--Every werewolf can speak to another werewolf irregardless of form.  A mage would require a certain degree of Mind Sphere to talk to a sapient wolf. 

For a mage to be able to do all of these things in compatible measure would take a considerable investment of experience points and focus!  As a story, it's far more interesting when the mage has to approach all of these situations in his own way.  From the perspective of a play group, however, it can be quite frustrating. 

If Lillisa wants to bring James into this game, I might advise easing the way a little bit by retconing James into being Kinfolk.  :) 

I'd advise you to have a werewolf concept--or at least the willingness to make one--standing by.  Good luck! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crensler

I'm definitely interested in playing werewolf, as I haven't played anything WoD in ages.  Homid, Get of Fenris, Ahroun is what I'm most comfortable playing, but I'm also more than willing to branch out and try new things.  Here's hoping I get accepted, but good luck to everyone else interested, as well ^^

Elven Sex Goddess

Werewolf the apocalypse has always been my favorite of the White Wolf games.  New Brennen days are remembered fondly and the friends made.   Heck one of those friends was the one who got me to come here some 13 years ago.   Heck sadly thou me and the original shi have lost touch over the years.  As husband, children became part of my life. 

I miss the days when my dad, brothers and friends would go to GenCon and larp in the werewolf larps   in those last years in Milwaukee and then early years in Indianapolis.   The various games after new Brennen shut down,  New York by Night,  Detroit by night,   Altear by night  and Miami by night.  Of course back in those days I went by Charmed (yeah I was and still is a big charmed fan)   

Anyways I open to developing back history with anyone for the game if accepted.