[Saga Edition] Star Wars: Legacy of the Republic

Started by The Great Triangle, February 06, 2009, 10:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

In the time since the destruction of the death star, massive empires have risen and fallen; superweapons have been built and destroyed; fleets have conquered, and themselves been conquered.  But one thread remains constant, the conflict between the jedi and the sith, as the galaxy once again slides into an era of sith dominance.

This is a game about the movers and shakers of the galaxy; fleet admirals, jedi masters, sith lords, great force magicians, political leaders of entire galactic factions, the strongest of bounty hunters... The game will use the Star Wars Saga edition rules, using 14th level PCs.  The game will take place 175 years after the battle of yavin, and involve the following factions:

The One Sith Empire:  A powerful faction of Sith which controls the core worlds, led by Emperor Krayt, a Sith Lord who has adapted Yuzhaan Vong technology to his own purposes with sith alchemy.  Increasingly, the one Sith Empire is fielding military units that combine biotechnology and standard tech.

The Fel Empire: Emerging from the remnants of the fleet of the First Galactic Empire, the Fel Empire forms the primary bulwark against the influence of the One Sith, their red armored Imperial Knights standing along with the Jedi against the power of the Sith.

The Federation of Free Alliances: Just 50 years ago, the confederation had the entire galaxy under its control, one way or another.  However, the succession of the Fel Empire, and the efforts of the sith, forced the free alliances into a remote corner of space, much like their predecessors in the First Galactic Empire.  However, the Alliance still controls the diminishing Jedi Order, even while they languish in no position to oppose the Sith.

The Hutt Junta: Hutts have always controlled a substantial portion of space, and in the recent chaos, they have deigned to declare their controlled territory openly.  The underworld operations of the Hutts have rendered them surprisingly well armed, and they aim to conquer Ryloth, to secure their drug trade.

The Mandalorian Kingdom: Thanks to the efforts of Bobba Fett, the Mandalorians have gradually been building their power in a small but expanding wedge of space, expanding as much through liberal application of credits as they have been through military might.  However, let no one suggest that the Mandalorians are weak.

Characters are made using 35 point buy for ability scores, and average hp (1/2 max) for all hit die rolls.  Character options may be taken from any of the following supplements:

Saga Edition Core Rulebook
Starships of the Galaxy
Clone Wars Campaign Guide
Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide (no equipment template stacking)
Threats of the Galaxy

Assign character equipment based on the following guidelines:

Force User (Any character with the force sensitivity feat and any thus derived derived talent or feat)
15,000 credits in personal gear, 165,000 credits for starship.

Noble (Any character with a majority of levels in the noble, officer, or crime lord classes and not a force user)
20,000 credits in personal gear, 2 million credits for starships, + all payouts from the wealth talent

Warrior (Any character who does not fit in the previous two categories)
35,000 credits in personal gear, 500,000 credits for starship

(Excess credits are not given to the character except in the case of nobles)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Elohim

I'm working on a Sith Lord, in the One Sith Empire.  Anyone willing to play her apprentice, female would be preferred.

JMadame

If you don't mind someone who has only played a revised character and might need some help, I would love to play a game. I've been wanting to play one on here ever since I played in RL........
But I have almost all of the books. So I can figure it out and I am willing to learn......
You know what this is... ;)"To conceal anything from those to whom I am attached, is not in my nature. I can never close my lips where I have opened my heart.” Charles Dickens

CharlieSariel

I love the Saga Edition, and have wanted to play a character in it for a long time (since i got the first book in fact).

I would adore playing a Sith Apprentice  ^_^  And I'm pretty good at playing females I'm told...

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Elohim

*hugs the CharliesAriel*  Yus please? *giggles and kisses*

HairyHeretic

This is very tempting. Do you see the players all in the one faction, or in different factions?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Idej

I am very interested in joining in on this campaign.

This is the Legacy Era that you are running it in correct?

If that is the case if you want to wait until March to run this as the Legacy Era Campaign Guide should be out during that month and this would greatly help shape the campaign that you want to run it in.

And as far as I know Darth Krayt is dead around this time.

Sorry to be fun wrecker on this.  Honestly did not mean to.  Just wanted to let people know about this information.

Here is some information for all of you to have to provide more information about the factions that I can find at the moment.

The Sith
     Krayt's Sith Empire
     One Sith

The Fel Empire
     Fel Empire
     The Imperial Knights

The Galactic Alliance
     Galactic Alliance

The New Jedi Order
     New Jedi Order

This all I can find at the moment.  If you need any clarification or information please let me know.  And if I have made any errors please let me know so I can correct them and learn from them.

Elohim

Silly Idej thinking that someone can't tweak cannon to their liking.  George Lucas does it all the time.

Idej

I know he does, I just wasn't sure if no one knew about this or not.:)

I hate the flanneled-one now because of all of this tweaking.  I just prefer more stable ground than others when it comes to this stuff.

And waiting for the Legacy Era CG to come out wouldn't be a bad idea because there is bound to be new talents or feats for Imperial Knights, Sith, and the others.  Though this is all my opinion of course.

Vice

Legacy-era is mostly John Ostrander's fault though, not Lucas', I think. I was buying the comic for a while, but eventually drifted away. It was good, but not good enough to keep buying monthly issues. I did like his revamp of the Sith, though. I thought the Imperial Knights were kind of lame though; they got pwned in a straight fight with anyone, and only Emperor Fel had any watts.

That said, this game sounds really, really awesome. How often would we be posting? The problem I usually run into in these games is not being able to keep up with posting 7 days a week.

I'm curious though: who are the Hutts fighting for Ryloth? The Twi'leks usually don't know planetary defense from a hole in the ground, and seem happy to sell their own people wholesale without a fight. My guess is the Mandalorians?

Despite my misgivings, I'd probably go for an Imperial Knight, or perhaps a freelancer associated with the Hutt cartels...

Idej

Still blaming the flanneled-one for everything bad.

The ways I can see with Krayt being around is that he pulls of an Emperor Palpatine stunt and transfers his spirit into another body.  Whether it be a clone or not is up to TGT. 

Wyyrlock III is Krayt's personal advisor and is the only other possible candidate for being leader of the Sith or Wyyrlock IV who is to be III's daughter.

When is this game going to start, if it is starting soon then I won't be able as I have a very full plate.  If it is going to be in March I can get in, along with a few other games that I want to join in.

Vice

Lots of ways Krayt could have survived. The easiest would be finally forcing Cade to heal him; alternately Krayt locates a Sith holocron and either fixes the problem with Alchemy, or does the body transfer like you're suggesting. Hell, who's to say he doesn't find some orbalisks? There's no canon precedent for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if an orbalisk infestation trumps Yuuzahn Vong biotech. The EU is so ridiculous now, I'm all for our GM ignoring whatever she wants to make a better game. Personally, I like to forget that the YV ever existed. Who decided that biotech Borg were a great idea for Star Wars anyway?

I think Ostrander is making the best of what he was given. Lucas is only culpable for signing off on the worst of the EU crap, and of course for his own bunglings of the pre-Empire era. Why he retconned the (awesome) origin of Boba Fett from Tales of the Bounty Hunters is beyong my comprehension. I know I'm setting myself up for flames here, but they should have just left the prequels up to Kevin J. Anderson and a few of the other authors from the Tales series...they had a much stronger grip on what made Star Wars work, IMO.

Idej

Umm, he died by getting electrocuted by Wyyrlock III after he was thrown off of a cliff by Celeste Morne/ Karness Murr.  That is in the conclusion to the Vector saga of Star Wars.  Legacy Issue #31.

Vector spans from KotOR all the way up to Legacy.  So that is why I said that.  Part of Krayt's last words is that he found a way to live before being killed by Wyyrlock III.

So it is up to TGT if he finds a way to come back or not.

As for altering canon:  I don't care if canon is altered slightly as long as a major chunk of history is not wiped out.  I hate the YV just as much as anyone else, but the YV war is now a major part of history in the Star Wars galaxy and it is also one of the reasons why Legacy is around in the first place.

Slight alterations is my type of thing and I am sorry if I am being a fool or anything else people want to call me.  Its just me.

Vice is making many strong points, but whether we like it or not canon is canon and I am sticking with most of it to keep whatever structure is left in the chaos and confusion that Lucas has done.

Well I am off to work so I'll chat with all of you in 6 hours.

Vice

Maybe that particular event doesn't/hasn't happened (yet)?

Muse

Hiya, TRiangle, I'd like to give this a try, but I need to know your anticipated posting rate. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ShamshielDF

I would like to express interest in the game.  I would have to wait and see some of the answers to the questions already posted before I could say what character I would want to play, but I am definitely interested  :)
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Myrleena

I'd probably be interested, depending on how the game is going to go.  I'm more a fan of being on the same side, myself.  I'm also waiting on the answers above.

The Great Triangle

*laughs*  I'm quite happy at all the response, and to do some clarifications:

I plan on the players being of different factions, and the gameplay involving the interplay between the factions.

As to the status of Darth Krayt, at the time the campaign begins, Darth Krayt is more of an idea than a person, much like "The Emperor" was in the days of the First Galactic Empire.  Somehow, there is a guy in the crabshell armor who calls himself Darth Krayt, and violently chokes to death anyone who brings up the rumors of his death. 

I will allow destinies for characters, and they receive 1 destiny point.  As for system experience, I or Seraph would be more than happy to help you work on characters.

Posting rate, meanwhile, is something that should be discussed in OOC threads.  The game can have multiple threads representing different galactic crisises, each with a different posting rate.  (although of course this can be variable)

The basic idea of using a system is to allow a system for conflict resolution when the PCs interests conflict.  I don't intend for the game to be a free for all, but occasional lightsaber duels are certainly called for.  :)  PCs should have goals and agendas, but as GM I'll put in some interference of my own to keep things interesting.

Ons and Offs

Tonalberry

This sounds like it could be fun.  I've never gotten to play any of the Star Wars RPGs, though I have some of the Saga books, and I've been thinking of GMing my own campaign.  This could be a good way for me to get used to the rules, if there's room still.

Muse

Is each player suposed to be completly autonomous form th eothers? 

Since we each get to start with our own ship or ships, how do you want to handle the associated "supporting cast." 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ShamshielDF

Okies...that answers most of the questions so far.  And yes, should player characters all be autonomous from one another, or is it alright to link two or three characters into groups?  If we can link characters together into small groups can they share funding for starships?
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

The Great Triangle

Linked groups are perfectly fine, and can share starship funds. (to buy a single starship)  However, for a starship modification to exceed a starship's available emplacement points, the starship must be purchased new.

Players may also play lower level characters, if they wish, although it may be good to attach such characters to primary characters for protection.

As for starship crews, if your starship has a crew of higher than 1, they are by default of the quality indicated by the ship class you use.  A noble or officer may expend a talent to increase crew quality by 1 step, up to the maximum of Ace.  You're free to give names personalities to the supporting cast of the ship, but most often they'll just fade into the background and make your ship work.

As for the Yuhuzan Vong war, it happened, but it's remembered about like World War I.  It devastated the galaxy, and nobody really had time to rebuild with the swarm war and the resurgance of the sith,which led to an even nastier galactic civil war, to the point where modern ship classes are an extremely rare sight in the galaxy.  No one faction really has the resources to produce truly new state of the art ships thanks to the mass destruction of shipyards.  Thus, modified versions of older designs, quite often built from scavenged materials, have become the order of the day.  

Space dreadnoughts and superweapons occasionally get built, but the emphasis is on adapting old technology.  Even separatist battleships have been dredged up from their crash sites, to serve in the navy of the Mandalorians.  (OOC, these conditions are tweaks to cannon, and the main reason for this industrial devastation is so that iconic ships from previous eras can be used rather than having to make up random "advanced" ships.)

Game Mechanics:  Many capital starships in this era have the junker template (with a corresponding 25% discount in price) and most supposedly "state of the art" vessels actually use many jury rigged or otherwise inferior components, representing base ship stats.  A starship that truly takes advantage of modern technological innovations receives the advanced template, but the neccesary tweaking increases its price by 50%.  (Most innovations discovered after the galactic civil war weren't really all that cost effective, due to disruption of industrial R&D due to constant war)

Primary Sith Empire Vessels: Tyrant Class Assault Ship (Acclimator  Refit), Givnex Class Starfighter, Hapan Nova Cruiser, Imperial III Class Star Destroyer, Interdictor Cruiser, Lambada Class Bomber, Predator Class Starfighter, Executor Class Star Dreadnaught

The Sith empire follows much the model set forth by the First Galactic Empire, relying on hammer and anvil assaults held down by interdictor cruisers.  They are also the only modern faction to have regular access to Star Dreadnaughts, giving them iron control over the Core Worlds.  

Primary Fel Empire Vessels: Carrack Cruiser, Chiss Clawcraft, Imperial Assault Shuttle, Katana Class Dreadnaught, Pellaeon Class Star Destroyer, Victoria Class Star Frigate (Victory Star Destroyer Refit), Scimitar Assault Bomber, TIE Defender

The Fel Empire relies heavily on the combination of light but well crewed and commanded capital starships, combined with its elite corps of TIE Defenders.  Most Fel Empire crews are of Expert quality, and the empire has recently taken to using a variation of hit and fade tactics against the traitors of the One Sith.

Primary Galactic Alliance Vessels: E-Wing Starfighter, Independence Class Star Destroyer (Mon Calamari Star Cruiser), K-Wing Starfighter, Naboo N-29 Starfighter, Nebula Class Star Destroyer, Nebulon-D Frigate, T-65XJ12 Jedi Starfighter, XJ Twintail Starfighter, YT-3400 Heavy Bomber

The Galactic Alliance still relies on large carriers equipped with unbelievably deadly starfighters.  Even more than ever before.  The Alliance still controls vast swaths of the expansion region and the mid rim, but they have a limited number of Star Destroyers to control so much territory with.

Primary Hutt Vessels: Baudo Class Star Yacht, Corellian Covrette, Corellian Gunship, Droid Tri-Fighter, Gallofree GR-96 Frigate (Medium transport refit), Gozanti Cruiser, Lucrehulk Class Star Destroyer, Skipray Blastboat, Star Galleon Frigate, YT-4200 Starfighter

The Hutts have only four vessels classified as Star Destroyers, all refitted Lucrehulk battleships armed with massive numbers of droidekas and tri fighters.  However, they also have a frightening number of light capital ships, even if they've never even considered purchasing anything that might almost qualify as an interceptor. A massive hutt flotilla waits in the Ryloth system, where several border colonies have succeeded to the hutts, an alliance armada has been stationed to guard the planet from hutt agression, as tensions mount further.  

Primary Mandalorian Vessels: Action IX Carrier, B-Wing Starfighter, Consular Covrette (Republic Cruiser refit), Firespray Assault Fighter, Jango Class Star Frigate (Commerce Guild Destroyer refit)

The Mandalorians have the most limited arsenal of the major galactic factions, however, their ground forces are also among the deadliest in the galaxy.  A typical Mandalorian tactic is to deploy a massive offensive screen of Firespray attack ships to cripple enemy capital ships, then swat down enemy fighters with a line of Covrettes optimized for anti fighter operations.  

Ons and Offs

Idej

Sounds interesting. :)

Alright, I'm sorry for being a stickler to all of you, and I apoligize. 

One quick question, since the Legacy Era CG should be coming out in March does anyone want to wait for the guide to come out or not?  I know that money is an important thing to all so if you all don't wish to then that is fine as well.

Myrleena

Just one question, if I and another player wanted to play the leaders of a merchant house, both being nobles, could we pool just some of our funds for a capital ship and buy a bunch of smaller freighters and excorts with the rest?