Interest Check: The Emerald Crown (5e, Political Intriguing, NC-Exotic)

Started by ShadowFox89, December 21, 2014, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

rikka

What is considered uncommon value and common value magic items?
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

AndyZ

If you don't have the DMG, I recommend a +1 weapon or shield and two potions of healing.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Praetoria

Room for one more? I haven't played 5e yet, but it looks fairly simple.

ShadowFox89

Room for plenty, I'm leaving this as sandboxy as possible :)

Speaking of, if anyone wants to run a dungeon or a mini-adventure within this, let me know. Bandits attacking, a mysterious tomb being found, etc.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

rikka

Ons/Offs

eternaldarkness

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 23, 2014, 11:57:02 PM
Room for plenty, I'm leaving this as sandboxy as possible :)

Speaking of, if anyone wants to run a dungeon or a mini-adventure within this, let me know. Bandits attacking, a mysterious tomb being found, etc.

I assume this was directed at me, so yes, I shall :) Anyone wants some more actiony stuff, i'll happily run it. As an aside Shadow, i'd be happy to run an NPC or two if you'd like as well.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: eternaldarkness on December 24, 2014, 12:15:20 AM
I assume this was directed at me, so yes, I shall :) Anyone wants some more actiony stuff, i'll happily run it. As an aside Shadow, i'd be happy to run an NPC or two if you'd like as well.

Not you specifically, no. I see this as a good way for people to bite their teeth on the mechanics of running a 5e game without having much overt responsibility.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Praetoria

Okay, right now I am working on  female, Half-Elf Paladin.

Are Feats being used?

Can we multi-class?

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

eternaldarkness

I changed Eiygil to a Barbarian, though the basic concept is the same - just with 40% more Awesome :D

Florence

I'll post Meredith up to the character thread as soon as I've converted her sheet to the skeleton you provided!

Also, Meredith certainly wouldn't complain to having a big strong paladin lady about 83 ... even if a paladin is likely to... frown upon the sort of stuff she does. xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

eternaldarkness

Om my. Shandri looks like the type who Gil might find very, very interesting indeed.

rikka

Ons/Offs

Praetoria

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Praetoria

ShadowFox89

Not for hitpoints. But if you roll under average, you can take set as given in the PHB.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Florence

Woo! Just got back from the Hobbit and now I'm all fired up to get my medieval fantasy on! 83
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: rikka on December 24, 2014, 03:51:32 AM
Hehe. Good luck in trying to persuade her.

But you'd think she'd want to get to know the guy whose job it is to hunt down monsters that menace the kingdom and kill bandits and outlaws outside the capital. I mean, imagine how much safer Aspia would be with a contingent of his Griffon Knights permanently in residence, kicking bandit and monster ass and generally doing awesome things. Plus, they have to get those Griffon mounts from somewhere, and griffons love mountainous areas.

It's a match made in heaven, see? :D

Griffon Knights: Haven't seen a Dragon, Giant, or rampaging orc horde lately? You're welcome.

This message was brought to you by the office of the Imperial Champion.

eternaldarkness

In ages past the task of keeping the Emerald Kingdoms far-flung borders safe from threats fell to militias raised by local lords and, if the threat was severe enough to affect the kingdom as a whole, the Imperial Army. Unfortunately, This was often ineffective due to corruption and lack of sufficient training or funding to accomplish the difficult job set before those who were supposed to defend the border towns, and oftentimes those very people would even ally with the very bandits and creatures they were supposed to be opposing for personal gain.

That all changed with the coming of the latest, and some say greatest, Imperial Champion. Eiygil Vallen, called the People's Champion by many, came from a common background and rose to his office by skill at arms and determination rather than being appointed by noble birth, and after witnessing the evil that went unopposed in his own home province for so long one of the first things he did with his newly-earned title was commission a new corps of elite men and women whose sole purpose was to serve as a specialized for that would defend the lands beyond the safe walls of the empires cities and larger towns, and within a year he had recruited and trained one hundred skilled and loyal people from the empires ranks to serve that purpose. In the years since, the Order of the Griffon - so named because of their iconic griffon mounts- have worked tirelessly to defend lands that were once part of the empire in name only and restored order in the name of the crown, though their numbers remain very small and casualties have thinned their ranks to a mere fifty.

The Order of the Griffon, while considered a knightly order, accepts members who are not warriors in the traditional sense as well - skilled arcanists, pious priests and holy warriors, spies, sneaks, and woodsmen also are found among their ranks. Griffon Knights work in squads of three to five knights with a variety of skills, though recently the Imperial Champion has put out a call for new applicants from among the populace to replace those who have fallen while performing their duties, and many times the ranks of an individual squad are swelled by young hopefuls who accompany the knights in hopes of someday being found worthy to wear the golden insignia of the Griffon themselves.

The code of the Order of the Griffon (With notes from the Imperial Champion, Eiygil vallen, on what each tenet means)

-Protect the weak and defenseless regardless of their social status.
This one is self-explanatory. A peasant is just as entitled to our protection as a noble.

-Defend the lives of the lands just rulers against all attacks.
Again, an easy one to grasp. One of our duties is to protect the royal family and those who govern the land from their enemies. This one can put us in a bind when the 'enemy' is another nobleman, but as a Griffon Knight you have to be able to use your best judgment and decide when to step in to deter needless bloodshed and when to step away from politics. As long as nobody is being physically harmed in any way, we stay out of it.

-Serve the crown with honor and valor.
We are knights. Our honor and trustworthiness has to be beyond reproach, and we must be fair and impartial regardless of our personal feelings. We can't do our jobs if the people don't trust us enough to ask for our help.

-Obey just and rightful authority.
Do your job, but do it by the book when you can. Work with local authorities, not against them, and remove corrupt leaders when you find them. We are all on the same side.

-Guard the honor of fellow knights.
Don't let people execute unjustified smear campaigns against fellow Griffon Knights. You don't have to worry about them deserving the bad reputation or not, because if they deserve it then they should be getting brought before a council to answer for whatever actions are giving us a bad name.

-Answer all challenges.
Respond proportionately if someone calls you out or questions your competence or capability. That doesn't mean you have to duel every would-be local tough who wants to make a name for himself by defeating a Griffon Knight, but you also must not make the order look weak, because it makes our jobs harder.

-Above all, seek the good of the kingdom and its people.
Our most important duty is defending the empire and its people from all threats. As long as a Griffon Knight still lives, so does the Emerald Empire.

Those Griffon Knights who betray the code will be cast out and hunted by their former brothers and sisters to be brought before a council of their peers for judgment. It is only for us to judge our own.

Praetoria

I think Gil and Caila are going to get along just fine :) She's up on the character thread now

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Praetoria on December 25, 2014, 02:29:08 AM
I think Gil and Caila are going to get along just fine :) She's up on the character thread now

Definitely. Similar backgrounds and skillsets with just enough differences to complement and they're fellow dragonslayers. I'm looking forward to seeing how they interact.

rikka

Quote from: eternaldarkness on December 25, 2014, 01:02:43 AM
But you'd think she'd want to get to know the guy whose job it is to hunt down monsters that menace the kingdom and kill bandits and outlaws outside the capital. I mean, imagine how much safer Aspia would be with a contingent of his Griffon Knights permanently in residence, kicking bandit and monster ass and generally doing awesome things. Plus, they have to get those Griffon mounts from somewhere, and griffons love mountainous areas.

It's a match made in heaven, see? :D

Griffon Knights: Haven't seen a Dragon, Giant, or rampaging orc horde lately? You're welcome.

This message was brought to you by the office of the Imperial Champion.

We'll just see how this will play out then, and I see your point. Shana would love to know more about Gil, so as to gauge him in her eyes at least.

Ons/Offs

Florence

Quote from: Praetoria on December 25, 2014, 02:29:08 AM

I think she has enough in common with Meredith for some interesting interactions between the two. Both half-elf street urchins, who've would up in pretty much polar opposite positions. One a proud paladin the other a goodhearted, but somewhat ruthless spy.

For that matter, I suspect Meredith would probably have heard of Gil and have some degree of respect for him, since they're both, in their own ways, 'champions of the little people.' Plus they both speak dwarvish. So few people to converse in that tongue with :P