Computer won't start.

Started by Ravensahnk, November 08, 2012, 08:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravensahnk

Okay so I've had my desktop for only three years I got it July of 2009.  It's run like a champ all of this time with no problem except for a virus here and there.  I'm very strict about my computers and how they are maintained.  However the other night it started acting up.  A normal problem when it didn't want to connect to the internet.  My router is iffy on occasions.  SO I decided to reboot.  When I rebooted it took me to my start up screen where I put my password in.  It didn't log me in so I decided to just restart once more.  However this last time it didn't even start up.  I push the power button and absolutely nothing happens!!!! I'm so confused and lost with the enigma that is my computer right now.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  Before anyone makes the comments, yet it is plugged in, I even transferred the cords to see if it would make a difference...I'm not sure what's going on with it...could someone help?

Oniya

Is the fan inside even starting?  My first guess would be the power supply if absolutely nothing happens
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Ravensahnk

Not even the fan is running.  How could I know for certain if it is the power supply?

Oniya

The fan was my 'telling point' - that's the first thing that powers up on my machine, even before it does the POST.  That tells me that power's not even getting to the fan, and you've already swapped the cord which covers the outlet and the cord itself.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

mayovagn

Power supplies are notoriously flaky, are not that hard to switch out and as long as you pay close attention removing the old one you should be fine to do it yourself.

Make sure to buy one that matches or is a little higher wattage than the one you have in there already.
All hail Eris! Kallisti! All Hail Discordia!

Member in good standing but poor sitting and terrible leaning of the Most Secret Order of the Stone Bonker of the Kakapo

Moraline

If no sounds and nothing winds up = power issues. Meaning, no power at all.

Listen for POST codes (or Beeping):  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test

Steady, short beeps =  Power supply may be bad
Long continuous beep tone =   Memory failure
Steady, long beeps =  Power supply bad
No beep =  Power supply bad, system not plugged in, or power not turned on
No beep =  If everything seems to be functioning correctly there may be a problem with the 'beeper' itself. The system will normally beep one short beep.
One long, two short beeps =   Video card failure