News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 24, 2017, 09:04:11 AM

Not to mention the equally asinine question about what to do with the remaining 80% (well, 70%, once you include Independents). U.S. politics might recognize minority parties on a local level, but there's only two teams you get to sign up for at the national stage.

Heck, for that matter I don't think there are enough real political parties (or people who follow them) to hit that quota even if you include the smaller ones. You've got the Democrats, the Republicans, the Libertarians, the Greens, and I guess the Constitution Party. Now you have to stack your remaining 50% with individuals from the hyper-minority groups, a majority of whom are leftist or liberal in some fashion. If anythign this would increase the liberal slant to colleges.

Got your math confused there, Glyph.  A 10% majority would mean that at worst, the political division could be 55-45 one way or another (which also assumes that all professors actually declare to one of the two major parties.) 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on February 24, 2017, 01:30:55 PM
Got your math confused there, Glyph.  A 10% majority would mean that at worst, the political division could be 55-45 one way or another (which also assumes that all professors actually declare to one of the two major parties.)

Ah. Yeah, you're right. My bad.

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

gaggedLouise

Hahaha! There's been some lively meta-debate about just *how* the report on Sweden that Trump used for an example was actually put together. Editing tricks, interviewees' answers getting matched to new questions and so on...and now it turns out that one of the people they interviewed was given a new, snazzier name and title. A man who used to be called Nils G Tolling was given the new alias Nils Bildt (a noble name, and the surname of former PM and conservative party leader Carl Bildt) plus the title of...Swedish defence and national security advisor, to lend weight to his description of a systemically failed integration of people from the Middle East. Now it turns out that there is nobody called either Nils Bildt or Nils G Tolling anywhere near the Swedish government or the military general staff. And judging from names and traces on social media, Tolling hasn't even been living regularly in Sweden for almost twenty-five years. He emigrated to the US in the mid-nineties and changed his name to Bildt in 2003 - at home, it wouldn't have been oossible just as any John Blow can't change their name to Rockefeller in the US (specifically, any name of a hereditarily knighted family is off limits to change into if you're not actually part of it or married into it).

So Fox effectively invented a guy with a new name and a new classy title...awesome journalism!  :D

Source (in Swedish, a major Stockholm morning paper)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on February 24, 2017, 06:35:55 PM
There s now a petition for Obama to run for the French Presidency.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/petition-calls-on-obama-to-run-for-president-in-france/ar-AAnhSHk?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

...not sure what to make of that :P

Wondering if he'd even be legally admissible - I think they have some kind of rule like you have over yonder, that the President must be a born French citizen. At any rate, Obama isn't even a Frenchman now, for excellent reasons...  :P Malia and Sasha would probably love to be able to fly over to Paris though.  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 24, 2017, 06:55:48 PM
Wondering if he'd even be legally admissible - I think they have some kind of rule like you have over yonder, that the President must be a born French citizen. At any rate, Obama isn't even a Frenchman now, for excellent reasons...  :P Malia and Sasha would probably love to be able to fly over to Paris though.  :D

The Wikipedia article looks like someone ran it through Google Translate a couple of times, but the intelligible bit doesn't seem to require being a born citizen:

QuoteA candidate for an election must be a citizen, have attained the age of 18 years, be qualified to vote, not be ineligible by dint of a criminal conviction or judicial decision and have a bank account.

Law No. 62-1292 of 6 November 1962 on the election of the President by universal suffrage (Loi n°62-1292 du 6 novembre 1962 relative à l'élection du Président de la République au suffrage universel) further requires presidential candidates to be nominated by at least five hundred qualified elected officials, such as members of Parliament and mayors.

I don't think he'd get the 500 nominations, though.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

Trumps asinine childish needs would just become ridiculous if that were to happen. I'd both feel sorry and happy for France at the same time.

Trigon

Trump is continuing to push for that border wall, and claims that it is "way ahead of schedule": http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39080356

And while we are at it, he is now picking a fight with the FBI: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/us/politics/white-house-sean-spicer-briefing.html?_r=0

TheGlyphstone

From the Times article:
Quote“The fake news doesn’t tell the truth,” Mr. Trump said to the delight of the conservatives packed into the main ballroom at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center just south of Washington.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 24, 2017, 06:08:13 PM
Hahaha! There's been some lively meta-debate about just *how* the report on Sweden that Trump used for an example was actually put together. Editing tricks, interviewees' answers getting matched to new questions and so on...and now it turns out that one of the people they interviewed was given a new, snazzier name and title. A man who used to be called Nils G Tolling was given the new alias Nils Bildt (a noble name, and the surname of former PM and conservative party leader Carl Bildt) plus the title of...Swedish defence and national security advisor, to lend weight to his description of a systemically failed integration of people from the Middle East. Now it turns out that there is nobody called either Nils Bildt or Nils G Tolling anywhere near the Swedish government or the military general staff. And judging from names and traces on social media, Tolling hasn't even been living regularly in Sweden for almost twenty-five years. He emigrated to the US in the mid-nineties and changed his name to Bildt in 2003 - at home, it wouldn't have been oossible just as any John Blow can't change their name to Rockefeller in the US (specifically, any name of a hereditarily knighted family is off limits to change into if you're not actually part of it or married into it).

So Fox effectively invented a guy with a new name and a new classy title...awesome journalism!  :D

Source (in Swedish, a major Stockholm morning paper)

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/fake-sweden-expert-on-fox-news-has-criminal-convictions-in-us-no-connection-to-swedish-security/

Dagens Nyheter (another large swedish newspaper) even has an english article about this (almost completely unheard of that they publish english articles but I guess lots of non Swedes where interested in this).

Lustful Bride

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Sara Nilsson

TheGlyphstone

The Patriot Guard Riders are amazing, amazing people.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Lilias on February 26, 2017, 12:13:53 PM
Men of honour, indeed.

http://tribunist.com/news/bikers-heard-this-marines-remains-were-coming-home-in-a-usps-box-they-couldnt-let-that-happen/?utm_source=MOH

This put a good smile on my face.

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on February 26, 2017, 12:20:09 PM
http://www.thecanary.co/2016/11/08/uk-government-just-slammed-violating-human-rights-theresa-may-doesnt-care/

UN slammed the UK over its treatment of disabled people and Theresa May "strongly disagreed".

It is sadly so easy to abuse the disabled as some just look at them as a drain on society and not all of them are properly able to defend themselves or speak out. :(

Lustful Bride

Sara Nilsson

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on February 26, 2017, 03:46:09 PM
Not sure what is more disgusting, him or the many people in the comment section applauding it.

They will be applauding it until they are shown the images of dead and mutilated kids right in their face and are told of the monster they supported.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Anteros on February 26, 2017, 05:22:48 PM

Alaskan Bears And Wolves In Wildlife Refuges To Be Hunted Again After Republican Vote: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/alaskan-bears-and-wolves-in-wildlife-refuges-to-be-hunted-again-after-republican-vote/

Showed that to my husband who has voted replublican his whole life (including for trump.. something we been arguing about since ^^) and man I dont think I ever seen him so angry. Immediately started writing a very angry letter and promising to get everyone he knows to do the same.

rekhaiyer

Don't hunters contribute more to wildlife conservation more than anyone else? Is it a good idea to simply look at the whole thing as hunting=bad?
Cravings & Ideas
O/O

"Here Come the Hawks!" Toews <3

Missy

Quote from: rekhaiyer on February 26, 2017, 10:42:26 PM
Don't hunters contribute more to wildlife conservation more than anyone else? Is it a good idea to simply look at the whole thing as hunting=bad?

No situation in particular is so very simplified as that, in one direction or another.

Lustful Bride

Terrorist group in Phillipines beheads German Hostage after demanding a ransom. Whether or not the ransom was paid is not said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/german-hostage-beheaded-by-philippine-islamists-site/ar-AAnuuFL?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Avalon29

AP news released their investigation on the cult, Word of Faith fellowship last night/early this morning. The results are disturbing and even that feels like an understatement. Members of all ages abused all the way from crying babies who are shaken roughly, smacked, and yelled at to drive demons out of them. Kids are seperated from their parents and  encouraged to beat their classmates if they show any signs of being possessed by demons. These signs of possession are villainous acts like smiling or daydreaming in class. Adults especially males were locked away in a building and beaten. Their are "blasting" sessions where someone is dog piled and yelled at for hours to drive demons out of them. They're prevented from contacting the outside, not allowed television or internet. Marriages are decided by the leader Jane Whaley and the rest of the older ministers. Even their sex lives were regulated. On the honeymoon they could only give each other a peck on the cheek before rolling over to go to bed. Sex was only allowed at least a year after and only for 30 minutes in the missionary position. I just have difficulty understanding what could drive people to do these kinds of things.

http://wbay.com/2017/02/27/ap-exclusive-ex-congregants-reveal-years-of-ungodly-abuse/