New Blood (Gestalt 3.5/Pathfinder hybrid game.) [Closed]

Started by ulthakptah, September 13, 2011, 06:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

As the story has gone so far, the two main characters, (being the two players that were in the start of the game and still are there) Were two bickering whores. Literally one worked at the whore house in town, and the other was a traveler stealing business from said whore house. They find them self stuck in the little port town of Targas. It was on a small cove isolated from the rest of the continent. Except for a small road that went through a forest. However strange monsters had been making it impossible to travel the roads, cutting of trade and over crowding the town. In hopes of returning things to normal the whores get together a group of adventurers and set out on a good old fashioned monster hunt. They ran into horrible brutes and strange shapechangers. A few of the people got lost or ran away. However they managed to find the source of the monsters. Inside a cave was a hidden base with an unholy contraption that made them. The goblin workers there claimed it was made by a gnome who abandoned them and left it's operation in their hands.

That's a good summery of what's happened plot wise by now. I'm sure the rest of the game will have to do with tracking down the gnome and stopping his next big plan. Anyway I'm down a few players, and need a few more. Now if your wondering what a gestalt game is, it's basically just the combination of two classes and making them into one class. If you want to read in depth about it it's in a 3.5 book called "Unearthed Arcana". As Said in the title it is a 3.5 and pathfinder hybrid. That means feats skills CMB CMD stuff will be done like pathfinder and you use pathfinder classes. The 3.5 is because there are lots of fun classes, spells, feats, and items that just aren't in pathfinder yet, so those books are still on the table too.

It's pretty easy to do a rough conversion of 3.5 stuff to pathfinder. Take 3 away from the required skills to qualify for feats and classes. If you want to use a 3.5 race and it has no level adjustment add two to one ability score, or if it does take 1 off the level adjustment. This does not apply to templates. Templates work the same as before. If you like a 3.5 version of a class more than pathfinder you can use that instead. As you might be able to tell there is a lot of room for doing stupid broken system things. That just makes it all the more fun for me making harder encounters for you. Don't be afraid to come up with something ridiculous.

The original wanted thread is here https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=91770.0

Rules for making new characters are in there. Apart from being level 7 now. In the first post there is also a link to the IC and OCC game threads. You can read through if you like. It's not that important for characters coming in right now to know. The players are still in a boss battle now, and seem to be moving rather slowly. I don't know how many more people I will take. Definitely at least one. People accepted is not on a first come first served basis. I'm tired of flaky flake flakers, so if you are a person who flakes out a lot, don't.

NicciKotor

Aw... no takers? We need fresh blood and for meat shields to get in the way!
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

avorae

Quote from: NicciKotor on September 14, 2011, 12:21:47 AM
Aw... no takers? We need fresh blood and for meat shields to get in the way!

Hmmm... I might be interested in joining. I will just need to come up with a concept first and look over what characters are already in play.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Blue Leah

I'd definitely be interested in getting in on this game, if you're still looking for players. Always room for more PFRPG. :)

Edit: Judging by the current builds, I'd probably run a Sylph Synthesist (Summoner) / Magus gestalt.

Edit #2: Also judging by the current builds, I might have some questions about how the two caster classes would blend for Gestalt purposes.

ulthakptah

Just so you know only two of the builds there will still be there when you join, and they are converting over to the pathfinder hybrid. There will be a Magus/wizard and a Arcane archer build. The others are gone, missing or going to die. One of the players is staying but making a new character. If I remember right it's some sort of gnome assassin from the plane of shadows.

As for you question of how two caster classes mix. They don't. Separate spells lists, spells known, and spells per day.

Blue Leah

Hm. So my character would get all the unique bonuses from each class per level? SICK!

Though if someone is already taking a Magus build, I'll have to see what else I can come up with. I'll probably keep throwing proposals at you, though, since from what I've seen so far the game looks fun, and I'd be psyched to get in on it. :)

Edit:
What about a Monk / Fighter? Would that be any use to the party?

PaleEnchantress

This sounds like fun. I see you like MxM  TK. Im fairly exclusive to MxM so if I get accpted would you like to be my partner.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Blue Leah

If I get accepted, I'd be happy to plot something out with you. :)

PaleEnchantress

There is a home brew PRC id like Okayed before I post my first concept.   I know about gestault rules and all the other varriants you mentioned so far.

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Widow_Queen_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

Right now Im thinking Dread Necromancer/Sorcerer or maybe Dread Necromancer/Oracle

ulthakptah

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on September 14, 2011, 09:28:17 PM
There is a home brew PRC id like Okayed before I post my first concept.   I know about gestault rules and all the other varriants you mentioned so far.

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Widow_Queen_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

Right now Im thinking Dread Necromancer/Sorcerer or maybe Dread Necromancer/Oracle
God no, That is so silly of a broken class. Full spellcasting, two good saves, and a devastating class feature at every level. Not to mention the requirements for the class are so low. I mean vampires have a level adjustment of +8 and they don't get nearly as many powerful attacks.

NicciKotor

Yeah I am remaking my adorable duskblade/wizard into wizard/magus to fit within pathfinder, so I have that covered very well.

Blue Leah

Wizard Magus sounds like a potentially epic mix. If nothing else, it's a magus with a huge mana battery, and that sounds delightful in my book. :D

PaleEnchantress

No problem on the denying Widow queen. Dread Necro/Sorceror should be fine.

PaleEnchantress

PS If battles are taking super long because of people not posting you should defiantly have a "if you don't post your turn within x amount of time you are skipped." And in any forum game initiative is always best split into 3 groups, the players that go before the enemies, the enemies, and the players that go after.

Anyway lets see if I cant get some story up...

NicciKotor

Yeah that is pretty common as is, with gang initiative. Makes stuff flow smoother and I've Dmed enough to know!

ulthakptah

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on September 14, 2011, 10:22:50 PM
PS If battles are taking super long because of people not posting you should defiantly have a "if you don't post your turn within x amount of time you are skipped." And in any forum game initiative is always best split into 3 groups, the players that go before the enemies, the enemies, and the players that go after.

Anyway lets see if I cant get some story up...
I already do the initiative like that. I skip people some times, but that's only after waiting for about a week then poking them to post then more waiting. I should really pick a hard number of days to skip someone though.

Blue Leah

Ok. Getting ready to crash out, but I have a few proposals to toss out there to see how they would work with the group.

-Monk / Fighter: probably Qinggong variant monk with a mobile variant fighter, with emphasis on the combat style feats. Good for getting in close and annoying the enemies.

-Barbarian / Inquisitor: This one just seems fun. Hell hath no fury...not sure what variants I would want to run, though.

-Druid / Summoner: Pets everywhere!

Let me know if any of these sound appealing. :) Good night all.

PaleEnchantress

Milarca Karensten (Lawful Evil)
Dhampir Unseelie Fey
Dread Necromancer 7/Sorcerer (Fey) 7 

Millarca was raised by his vain and reclusive Nymph mother. She hated other people, men especially. She would tell Millarca about how everyone was wicked liars and men were especially prone to do anything for physical pleasure only to hurt the object of their attraction later. She would also mock him, telling him he would never be as beautiful as she was. Millarca grew up to be rather curious and social, he would leave his hidden home to dally with the mortals and back in their romantic attentions. His mother hated this and rather then punish him outright would sneak around to seduce and kill anyone he became attached to, telling Millarca that they didn't care for him. Only the sex he could give them and they left him after they got it or when someone more beautiful caught their attention.

Milarca fell into despair until he found all his missing lover's dead bodies. Trying to figure out what happened he eventually caught his mother killing his newest lover. Milarca had his revenge by magically animating the bodies of his lovers and sending them to mutilate and kill his mother. As he stood over his mothers broken and disfigured form he said "Don't you see how wrong you were now? Not even death can make my lovers abandon me. Now before you die I think you should know how much more beautiful I am then you."

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TKtheExiled on September 14, 2011, 10:47:30 PM
Ok. Getting ready to crash out, but I have a few proposals to toss out there to see how they would work with the group.

-Monk / Fighter: probably Qinggong variant monk with a mobile variant fighter, with emphasis on the combat style feats. Good for getting in close and annoying the enemies.

-Barbarian / Inquisitor: This one just seems fun. Hell hath no fury...not sure what variants I would want to run, though.

-Druid / Summoner: Pets everywhere!

Let me know if any of these sound appealing. :) Good night all.

Assuming we both get in the minion master role is covered with me. The first two (especially Barbarian/Summoner) seems decent from what I saw of the character sheets. If we do both get in you should take tomb tainted soul and there will be no end to the healing I can bestow upon you. I love barbarians their "hit me harder" goes so well with my sophisticated sadism.

Zaer Darkwail

My char is 3.5 DnD ranger but pathfinder demon blooded sorcerer with arcane archer levels. Upon debate is my +1 LA char now +0 now (as I have bought the LA off with unearthed arcana method already).

Blue Leah

Ok. So, dropping the Druid / Summoner "leader of the pack" build, here are fleshed out concepts for the two characters I was contemplating. I will find pictures from my home PC.

Build 1:
Khoram Swiftfoot LN
Half-Orc (Third Generation)
Qinggong Monk / Mobile Fighter

Khoram's family has always had mixed blood. His grandmother was an orc from the Greenfoot tribe, and his father was raised in that same world until finally setting out to become a member of the Pathfinder society. He returned to the tribe with an arm full of stories ((sacred tattoo)), and a human wife and an unborn son.

Despite the fact that he looks predominately human, the orc blood in Khoram is strong; giving him greenish-grey skin, thick black dreadlocks, and two small tusks (the source of much amusement to the other younglings in his tribe as a child). As a child, Khoram was fascinated by the tattoos of his father's stories- there were more on the half-orc's arm than on any other warrior, including the village chief. From fascination to fixation, Khoram became obsessed with attempting to surpass his father's example, and began training. In the martial arts, the ways of the battlefield, even the ways of the village Spiritwalkers... no matter how grueling the training, Khoram endured, with the goal that one day his own Story Arm would put even his father's to shame... ((If plotting out a partnership with Enchantress, I'll come up with story between the departure from the tribe and current time.))

Build 2:
Caerdain (CN)
Human
Invulnerable Rager Barbarian / Dragon Domain Inquisitor

Caerdain was born in Varisia to a Shoanti fortuneteller, and most of his youth was spent wandering from place to place, staying in settlements just long enough to trade ( or steal) what was needed for the clan before moving on. His mother, Shallora, tended to make good coin, if for no other reason than the unique way she would tell her fortunes: casting runes etched into the millenia-old scales of a Cloud Dragon. She would often boast that the scales were from before the Starstone fell, and before the old gods had begun to die- and as such, were more potent and valuable than any runes cast by "modern" fortune tellers.

Boasting comes with a price, though; and one day, Shallora and her son were accosted as they travelled back to their clan's caravan. A group of local thieves had decided that they wanted the scales for themselves, to sell or to keep as talismans... and Shallora, fearing for her own and her son's life, gave them up without a fight. All but one... the faith rune, which she kept with her until her dying day. When he was a child, she would say that faith would bring her treasures back, so that he would one day pass them down to his own child... a lesson the young man took to heart. After his mother's passing, Caerdain took his "inheritance" in the form of the single runic scale, and took his leave of his "clan" with one goal in mind. His mother believed that faith would bring her treasures back... so then, he would become Faith, and grant her that last wish.

====

Text wall done. :)

Wheresmycow

If you're still accepting character concepts, I'd like to submit one:

Morgan Le-Roi (CG)
Human Warblade/Bard

Rascal.  No better word applies to Morgan than that.  He likes to flirt with the ladies, likes drinking with the boys and loves fighting with everyone.  A grin or a smile is his constant companion and it's hard to say if he takes anything seriously or if that flippant attitude of his ever drops.  Morgan likes to live life fully, and avoids accumulating regret.

And sometimes, you wonder if the man is hiding something, some dark or sad history that makes him act like so.  If you ask, he'll look you in the eye, with a serious expression, and tell you that all warriors carry scars, and not all of them are physical.  And you might believe him, up until you see the glint in his eyes and wonder if that's a tear or the free-wheeling bastard is playing a trick on you.  That's Morgan: a rascal.  And damn proud of it.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

ulthakptah

So, I've been getting a few questions that I think I should answer for everyone. There are 2 or 3 player slots open in the game. This is no limit to people who can apply for these slots. I will choose the new players at the time the old players finish the story arc they are on, which is just wrapping up a boss fight. They haven't been progressing at all so you might have a lot of time, you might not. Finally I will not accept a player that hasn't made a character sheet at the time of the choosing. My choosing of who gets to play is largely affected by the opinions of the current players NicciKotor, Zaer Darkwail, and Glyphstone, but the decision is ultimately mine.

ulthakptah

Quote from: ulthakptah on September 17, 2011, 03:47:53 PM
They haven't been progressing at all so you might have a lot of time, you might not.
Well in an effort to prove me wrong my players have been posting very well as of late. I'm very proud of them. Anyway the game is moving pretty fast now, so you might want to work on character sheets sooner rather than later.

Laughing Hyena