Isle of the Damned - Pirates, Slaves, Fantasy - Always Recruiting

Started by GnothiSeauton, August 07, 2016, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Caela on August 11, 2016, 11:18:08 PM
This looks like a lot of fun. Definitely a great group of writers already involved!

~goes to poke around the threads and see what's what~

:D

Would love to have you, Caela!

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

A Painter

Quote from: Rel Mayer on August 11, 2016, 10:09:29 AM
Narcia is involved with slave capturing and trade. She needs people on her crew, even if it's against their will. Lol!

HM!  Not sure if a (weak) mind reader would be a good fit for a slaver, but we may be able to think of something :)  Maybe when Narcia seeking out potential trades and new partners, the slave can be a lie detector.  Maybe even check who may want to double cross her once in a while.

@GnothiSeauton If I can't find someone to be a master I suppose I could alter the character to be a free at this point in their life.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: A Painter on August 12, 2016, 08:24:30 PM
HM!  Not sure if a (weak) mind reader would be a good fit for a slaver, but we may be able to think of something :)  Maybe when Narcia seeking out potential trades and new partners, the slave can be a lie detector.  Maybe even check who may want to double cross her once in a while.

@GnothiSeauton If I can't find someone to be a master I suppose I could alter the character to be a free at this point in their life.

You're more than welcome to check in on the OOC to see if there might be any interest.

It's been a common issue, particularly in the past, with people wishing to do slave characters, only to not be able to find partners to take on the role of masters.  It's why I try to caution people with slave characters, or wishing to do slave characters, to look around beforehand and hash out some details with someone before really getting committed and invested in the character.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

yesiroleplay

This vaguely reminds me of the world Pandemia from Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" series.   Particularly the isle of Durthing from the novel "Perilous Seas."  The Skolsung in particular remind me of the Jotun/Nordland raiders from that series.

Anyway, color me interested (the color interested is a hot reddish salmon by the way).  Pending a decent character concept that hasn't already been taken (my first few ideas are covered by characters I found in the approved character thread, so I'm still thinking.)

-------
edit:  with a concept.
I'm thinking maybe playing a native girl, a slave but only technically, as her whole village and all the people in it are owned by someone that takes little interest in the holding.  They live off the sea - fishing and pearl-diving mostly.  With salvage and beach-combing as secondary sources of income.  They might also be wreckers - people that lure ships into treacherous waters to wreck so that they can salvage them later.   Though no one in the village profits at more than subsistence level from either the pearls or the salvage work - all the profits go to the master/owner.  Or at least to the factotum that administers the village for him.

The village is locally but not well known as the go-to place for undersea exploration/salvage, as they can dive to amazing depths and stay under for quite some time. 

Is such an owned village of indigenous locals something that might exist on the island?  or on one of the tiny unmapped islands nearby? If the concept fits, I'll work more on the character

la dame en noir

As a profession - is it possible for my character to dabble in medical herbs? Maybe she has a different sort of drug she sells under the table?
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Cerevan

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on August 10, 2016, 09:07:11 PM

Glad to see the thread's caught your eye :D

I couldn't resist. also holy shit sabrina flashbacks Can I nab Jessica Parker Kennedy as a FC, please?

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Cerevan on August 13, 2016, 10:37:24 AM
I couldn't resist. also holy shit sabrina flashbacks Can I nab Jessica Parker Kennedy as a FC, please?

I will go right ahead and put her down for you!

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 13, 2016, 10:33:51 AM
As a profession - is it possible for my character to dabble in medical herbs? Maybe she has a different sort of drug she sells under the table?

That's definitely possible.

I think Undine is doing an apothecary owner, but don't see why we couldn't have another character dabbling in a similar field, especially if she has different sorts of drugs to sell under the table.

Quote from: yesiroleplay on August 13, 2016, 04:00:43 AM
This vaguely reminds me of the world Pandemia from Dave Duncan's "A Man of His Word" series.   Particularly the isle of Durthing from the novel "Perilous Seas."  The Skolsung in particular remind me of the Jotun/Nordland raiders from that series.

Anyway, color me interested (the color interested is a hot reddish salmon by the way).  Pending a decent character concept that hasn't already been taken (my first few ideas are covered by characters I found in the approved character thread, so I'm still thinking.)

-------
edit:  with a concept.
I'm thinking maybe playing a native girl, a slave but only technically, as her whole village and all the people in it are owned by someone that takes little interest in the holding.  They live off the sea - fishing and pearl-diving mostly.  With salvage and beach-combing as secondary sources of income.  They might also be wreckers - people that lure ships into treacherous waters to wreck so that they can salvage them later.   Though no one in the village profits at more than subsistence level from either the pearls or the salvage work - all the profits go to the master/owner.  Or at least to the factotum that administers the village for him.

The village is locally but not well known as the go-to place for undersea exploration/salvage, as they can dive to amazing depths and stay under for quite some time. 

Is such an owned village of indigenous locals something that might exist on the island?  or on one of the tiny unmapped islands nearby? If the concept fits, I'll work more on the character

Sounds like a rather interesting character and culture!

If she is from one of the native groups on the island itself, I would have to say no, just because it's been established that the capturing of natives on the island is somewhat illegal, as it helps to protect the alliance between the villagers and inhabitants, and the indigenous people.

Now, if she was taken from, say, a smaller, nearby island, or even from one of the Shattered Islands, that would be more than acceptable.

I haven't heard of that series before.  I'll definitely have to check it out.

Seeking New Stories

Undine

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 13, 2016, 10:33:51 AM

At first blush La Dame, it seems our characters are probably headed in very different directions, even if they both have an interest in medical herbs.  This is my Iyelda, fwiw.
How to bait for an Undine   My O/O's
  When Undine makes for the deep waters My A/A's 

“‘Unable to perceive the shape of you, I find you all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with your love. It humbles my heart, for you are everywhere.’” ~ Giles, The Shape of Water
My F&S fascinations:  Elegance Wild and Grace Forgotten

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Caela

Will have a concept up sometime tomorrow. This weekend at work is kicking my butt but my staycation starts tomorrow!

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: la dame en noir on August 14, 2016, 09:49:21 AM
Oh nvm, I wouldn't want to replicate your character.

If you want, Dame, your character could be a healer/medical herb expert that serves, or has served, on one of the ships.  Could have been a merchant vessel or even a pirate crew.  The two characters could even go into business together.

Just tossing out ideas.  I'm more than happy to help and assist.

Quote from: Caela on August 14, 2016, 04:01:39 PM
Will have a concept up sometime tomorrow. This weekend at work is kicking my butt but my staycation starts tomorrow!

No problem, Caela.  Take your time.

Happy staycation!

Seeking New Stories

Undine

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on August 14, 2016, 05:58:07 PM
If you want, Dame, your character could be a healer/medical herb expert that serves, or has served, on one of the ships.  Could have been a merchant vessel or even a pirate crew.  The two characters could even go into business together.

Just tossing out ideas.  I'm more than happy to help and assist.

If you did want the characters to be in business together Dame, yours and Iyelda?  We could certainly work something out if that appeals to you - my PM box is always open, let's chat if you like!
How to bait for an Undine   My O/O's
  When Undine makes for the deep waters My A/A's 

“‘Unable to perceive the shape of you, I find you all around me. Your presence fills my eyes with your love. It humbles my heart, for you are everywhere.’” ~ Giles, The Shape of Water
My F&S fascinations:  Elegance Wild and Grace Forgotten