WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Hm. You know, I checked some shops online and GW's paints don't seem to be *that* overpriced. Back here, they cost 12 zlotys (around 4 dollars) each. Meanwhile, other paints at hobby shops cost around 8 zlotys...

Of course, when you buy a lot of paints, costs accumulate. I just summed up how much would it cost to buy GW's three paint sets: base, layer and shade paints. The result is nearly 500 zlotys... Coupled with 350 zlotys for Dark Vengeance, it makes the game's entry cost very imposing  :o

I know, I know, I guess there are ways around it...

BTW. I noticed something cool: you can buy stuff at GW's webpage and have it sent to any GW store for free! Cool!

Hemingway

You really should find out what your local GW or other hobby store will do for you. Like I said, my local GW lets you sit in their store and use their paint, free ( as long as you brought your own models and brushes ). If they do that, they'll probably have the tools and glue you need for assembly, too. They might even lend you their primer spray, if you ask nicely.

Maybe this varies from place to place - I wouldn't know. Which is why you gotta find out!

The same goes for necessary books. Like I mentioned earlier, the stores I've been to have had store copies of codices for people to flip through. If they do, there's no real reason you have to get it right away. Now, they might have store rules saying you have to bring your own codex if you're going to play in their store. And they might have the same thing for the core rules. Again, I think this varies from place to place, so ask. If having the rules book isn't a requirement, don't buy it right away. Get to know the basics of the rules ( for instance by having the staff give you a quick demonstration of the game ), and then tell people you're going to play against you only know the basics. I've never owned a 40K rules book in my life, but I've still played a few games. ;D

In short: Buy only what you have to. It could be as little as your own models.

Or you might need to get all the stuff yourself. Finding out ahead of time could potentially cut the cost of getting into the game in half, though, so it's worth checking out.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Beorning on August 29, 2014, 05:11:30 PM
Hm. You know, I checked some shops online and GW's paints don't seem to be *that* overpriced. Back here, they cost 12 zlotys (around 4 dollars) each. Meanwhile, other paints at hobby shops cost around 8 zlotys...

Of course, when you buy a lot of paints, costs accumulate. I just summed up how much would it cost to buy GW's three paint sets: base, layer and shade paints. The result is nearly 500 zlotys... Coupled with 350 zlotys for Dark Vengeance, it makes the game's entry cost very imposing  :o

I know, I know, I guess there are ways around it...

BTW. I noticed something cool: you can buy stuff at GW's webpage and have it sent to any GW store for free! Cool!

Presumably you factored in volume, right? GW paint cans are tiny.

Beorning

Quote from: Hemingway on August 29, 2014, 06:50:54 PM
You really should find out what your local GW or other hobby store will do for you. Like I said, my local GW lets you sit in their store and use their paint, free ( as long as you brought your own models and brushes ). If they do that, they'll probably have the tools and glue you need for assembly, too. They might even lend you their primer spray, if you ask nicely.

Really? I'll have to ask them, then. Thanks for the idea.

In short: Buy only what you have to. It could be as little as your own models.

Or you might need to get all the stuff yourself. Finding out ahead of time could potentially cut the cost of getting into the game in half, though, so it's worth checking out.

Noted...

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 29, 2014, 06:59:30 PM
Presumably you factored in volume, right? GW paint cans are tiny.

Well... their bottles are 12ml, right? The other paints I checked come in 15 ml bottles, so... it's not much of a difference. I think? Maybe some exact calculations are in order...

TheGlyphstone

No, but it does matter. $4 for 12ml is $6 for 15ml, compared to the $8 for the other brand. So while it is still cheaper, the margin is half as much as you thought it was.

Beorning

Oh wow. You're right:

GW paint: 12 zl for 12 ml = 1 zl / ml
Non-GW paint: 8 zl for 15 ml = 0,53 zl / ml

Wow. They *are* pricey...

TheGlyphstone

That's more like it. I had never seen GW paint for sale cheaper than other hobby brands, so it surprised me a great deal to find yours were cheaper. My faith in GW's overpricing has been restored.

Beorning

No, no. I must've expressed myself inaccurately. GW paints are sold for 12 zl here. Non-GW paints cost (for example) 8 zl.

And now I looked up another hobby store and I found non-GW paints that, for the same 8 zl, give you *20* mls...

Right. That is some serious food for thought... It looks like I could serious cut my costs, if I went with non-GW paints. The question is: would I be able to find paints that make the miniatures look just as good as GW paints? I'm wondering...

Anyway, it's all academic, unless I find something more important: at least one other person willing to play! I have only one friend at this stage and he's not taking the bite...

Oniya

The only difference between GW paints and other model paints is the label and the fancy names for the colors.  You might even be able to get a 'beginning artist' set of several tubes of acrylics, a pad of paper, and a brush for an even better price (factoring in volume)  Of that, the only thing that's 'unnecessary' would be the paper, and even that could be used to test your color mixes if you want a color that isn't already in the tubes.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Quote from: Beorning on August 29, 2014, 07:45:42 PM
Right. That is some serious food for thought... It looks like I could serious cut my costs, if I went with non-GW paints. The question is: would I be able to find paints that make the miniatures look just as good as GW paints? I'm wondering...

Absolutely. It might look different ( i.e. the colors might be a different shade ), but actual quality ... well, that comes down to your skill as a painter. Citadel's equipment and supplies are by no means superior.

QuoteAnyway, it's all academic, unless I find something more important: at least one other person willing to play! I have only one friend at this stage and he's not taking the bite...

Bring your army to Games Workshop, ask if anyone wants to play ( or ask where people play ). Or look around for groups in your ( nearest ) city online. It can be a great way of making new friends.

Oniya

Or, if you are able to use the GW store to do your painting for cheapies, the simple act of painting miniatures might get you in contact with other local players.  There are two things that experienced painters love to do:  Show off their minis, and explain how they got 'that awesome effect'.  This leads naturally into talking about the game.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Thorne

Oh, hells to the yes. You may run into some that aren't so generous, but most times, a good painter /loves/ to share techniques and tricks.

I'm generally sorry I can't spend more than a few minutes looking at some of them, when I am at my FLGS - there are a lot of WH players there, and I suspect some, if not all of them, paint their own, and some of them are /very/ impressive. Very pretty. ^^;
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Beorning

Points taken...

Thorne, you mentioned mold residue earlier. Could you explain that issue to me? What's up with the mold?

Oniya

Regarding 'flash' or 'mold residue' - the plastic or metal that is used to make the miniatures is poured into a two-part die.  Because there's two parts, some of the material seeps into the crack between them.  This creates a line, or sometimes a thin sheet, protruding from the miniature that needs to be cut or filed off.

Beorning

Ah! That's what this is about!

I thought you were speaking about mold / mould. Fungus.  ;D I kept wondering why would plastic miniatures be moldy...

Oniya

I suspected it was something like that.  ;D  Darn homophones!

Beorning

And here I thought that I will have to disinfect the minis, or something :)

Thorne

As long as no one /sneezes/ all over them, you shouldn't have to actually disinfect them. *snicker* Sorry - if I mean icky mould, I spell it with a u. I should tell people this ... >.>

I /think/ they also put a fine powder on the inside of the mold, to make it easier to take the finished product out, and sometimes you get some of that leftover on the miniature too, and it interferes with primer too. But a little soap and water (regular dish soap works fine) and a soft toothbrush, and it comes right off.
Something else to consider - if you can stick 'em to something (bottle cap? Wine cork? Piece of doweling?) it not only makes it easier to hold them to paint them, but it also helps keep the oils from your skin from mucking with your paint job. Yes, that can happen. It's annoying. :/
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

TheGlyphstone

If they're plastic, you can just use a sturdy needle/thumbtack and impale them through the bottom of a foot or something. For metal, gluing them to something is the simplest way to go about it.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 30, 2014, 02:51:48 PM
If they're plastic, you can just use a sturdy needle/thumbtack and impale them through the bottom of a foot or something. For metal, gluing them to something is the simplest way to go about it.
Double-sided tape might work if you don't want to hurt them. I know I've used it to hold larger models in place when I used to do models (little Tomcats and the like).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Double-sided tape, minus the letter E.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.