Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

I would suggest that cosmetic mask fits woods better than it does any of the other locations. Further, your insistence that the key evidence must fit with the location in the face of a direct statement to the contrary from the St is a little weird.

Madame Professor

Well, the Smell does change some things for me.

Assassini has moved up my list. The Drill and the Rose fit. When I see Woods, I'm thinking a cabin in the Woods, not just wondering out into the middle of the woods on a death march. The Drill fits the Means (Blood Loss) and could easily be found at a cabin in the Woods. The Rose could easily fit with the Water Stain and Smell.

Still, Yugi is a strong contender for me with the Ice Skates and the Food Ingredients, as well. He has other options, such as the Axe and Mask, but I'm favoring the former.

Remiel dropped a slot, but I still haven't ruled out the Machinery, though perhaps the Soap instead of the Umbrella.

And then you have the Fish Hook and Cake for myself, which looks really bad...  :'(

So for me, Yugi and Assassini are higher on my suspect list. 
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

yugi006

Quote from: Kythia on January 06, 2016, 11:22:42 PM
I would suggest that cosmetic mask fits woods better than it does any of the other locations. Further, your insistence that the key evidence must fit with the location in the face of a direct statement to the contrary from the St is a little weird.

I didn't see anything that said that it didn't have to fit with it. Given the key words in parentheses makes it seem like that is the case given the other options available.

I guess we'll know more with the next clue.

James Moriarty

Hrm, "smell" as the "noticed by bystander" for cake instead of "visual"?  I don't know -- if I'm the forensic dude and trying to implicate cake, I'm not sure I pick smell over visual at a murder scene.  I like the reasoning about yugi best right now, but now I'm going back and asking myself if one of the earlier clues is leading us away from the right answer because we have to take it in the context of what the /other/ options Guy could have chosen were.  For example, "water stain" -- maybe that's not a great clue, but it was just better than the alternatives.

Assassini

Right. So, I'm a little behind here (which I apologise for again) but I have just read through the thread and until TRPG's most recent clue, am I correct in saying that the prime suspects thus far were Strangefate, JM and Persephone. We're also a bit suspicious of Yugi for his standard really cagey behaviour (which IS standard let's be fair). But now we also have this new clue, which seems to have thrown something of a spanner in the works.

I did want to address something else before I start thinking about my own deductions here:

Quote from: yugi006 on January 06, 2016, 09:20:35 PM
Dirty Water is kind of vague though. There could be bacteria or a virus in the water that could make you sick which could cause blood loss. We don't know what's in the dirty water.

See, this particular quote is something I wanted to mention because it kind of illustrates something that I always notice in games like this. Sometimes people making the deductions will try and be TOO clever in making them. Trying to see deeper meanings beyond what is there. Whereas you have to remember that TRPG wants us to be able to get the clues he is giving us. So while Dirty Water could cause blood loss in the sense you are saying, you also have to remember that if one was giving clues and wanted you to think of Dirty Water, Blood Loss would definitely not be the first port of call. I've noticed a couple of suggestions like this which seem to clutch at straws a little, sort of thinking that TRPG won't want us to look at the obvious but is for some reason being extremely roundabout.

Anyway, now I want to try and do a list of my own! I realise we've all done lists, but I kinda want to do my own... So... Yeah... Just to clear things up in my own mind as opposed to anything else.

Our current clues are: InnaWoods, Blood Loss, Water Stain and Smell. So I'm gonna go through all of these, colour the ones I think could be linked Green and colour the ones I think make no sense Red (those which I am uncertain of I will leave black).

Assassini turns into Sherlock
Player: Yugi006

Means of Murder Cards: Axe, Ice Skates, Work, Blood Release

Key Evidence Cards: Food Ingredients (groceries), Speakers, Cosmetic Mask (spa), Bell

Player: Strangefate

Means of Murder Cards: Fork and Knife, Dismemberment, Dirty Water, Venomous Snake

Key Evidence Cards: Plastic Bottle, Graffiti, Envelope, Raincoat

Player: Remiel

Means of Murder Cards: Potted Plant, Venomous Scopion, Powdered Drugs, Machinery

Key Evidence Cards: Red Wine, Umbrella, Spinning Top, Soap

Player: Assassini

Means of Murder Cards: Folding chair, Rope, Baseball Bat, Drill

Key Evidence Cards: Toy, Rose, Newspaper, Majong Tile

Player: Kythia

Means of Murder Cards: Steel Tube, Drowning, Whip, Wrench

Key Evidence Cards: Hat, Sack, Cigar, Broom

Player:Madame Professor

Means of Murder Cards: Radiation, Injection, Wine, Fish Hook

Key Evidence Cards: Cake, Bracelet, Watch, Antique

Player: BAMF

Means of Murder Cards: Trowel, Unarmed Assault, Arson, Towel

Key Evidence Cards: Luggage, Electric Circuitry, Telephone, Tweezers

Player: Verasaille

Means of Murder Cards: Bites and tears, Sulfuric Acid, Illegal Drugs, Kerosene

Key Evidence Cards: Computer, Cigarette Butt, Apple, Computer mouse

Player: James Moriarty

Means of Murder Cards: Stone, Crutch, Machete, Wire

Key Evidence Cards: Cigarette Ash, Sock, Tissue, Name Card

Player: persephone325

Means of Murder Cards: Cleaver, Pill, Scarf, Pistol

Key Evidence Cards: Sunglasses, Toy blocks, Tattoo, Drama Mask

Right, the way I did this was by just literally seeing which cards I thought could be linked to each individual clue. Looking at it as a whole though I suspect the picture might be a little different. However, one thing I think I can agree for sure (from all the way back at the start) is that BAMF is definitely an investigator as he does not have a single piece of evidence that I think can be linked to the clues we have. I've also pretty definitively excluded MP as well, so I reckon she can be trusted.

Incidentally, I actually think that other than the Sunglasses (which COULD be linked to the woods and outside and stuff), Persephone does not really have any evidence which seems to fit and so I reckon I would trust her too.

On the other hand, just taking each clue individually, it looks to me like Yugi is lit up like a Christmas tree! For me I reckon he is actually my prime suspect right now, followed swiftly by Strangefate.

Edit: P.s. Can I say... Good fucking LUCK to whichever Forensic Scientist has to try and get players to guess "Majong Tile". That's fucking ridiculously specific...

Edit 2: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the clues are actually just supposed to lead us in the direction of the correct cards, right? So, they are supposed to hint at what the cards are but do not actually exactly pertain to the "truth" of the murder. I ask this for a few reasons but also because if it were not for the Blood Loss cause of death then I would REALLY like Kythia's "Drowning" and "Cigar" match-up.

Assassini

Okay, I'm sorry, I figured I'd do another post instead of constantly editing my last one (for fear of someone else posting in the meantime).

I just had a look at what Fate posted recently which was a recap of all the options TRPG could have chosen for clues:

State of the Scene Options:  Bits and Pieces, Ashes, Water Stain, Cracked, Disorderly, Tidy
State of the Scene Options:  Sudden Sound, Prolonged Sound, Smell, Visual, Action, Nothing
Location Options:  Vacation House, Park, Supermarket, School, Woods, Bank
Murder Options: Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

So I think this actually allows us to make a LOT more deductions about what we have:

Assassini turns into Sherlock
Player: Yugi006

Means of Murder Cards: Axe, Ice Skates, Work, Blood Release

Key Evidence Cards: Food Ingredients (groceries) (red because, while it does fit the "smell" I think the Location would have had to be "Supermarket" for this one), Speakers, Cosmetic Mask (spa), Bell

Player: Strangefate

Means of Murder Cards: Fork and Knife, Dismemberment, Dirty Water (now red because otherwise the cause of death would definitely have been "Illness/Disease"), Venomous Snake (now red because otherwise the cause of death would definitely have been "Poisoning")

Key Evidence Cards: Plastic Bottle, Graffiti, Envelope, Raincoat

Player: Remiel

Means of Murder Cards: Potted Plant, Venomous Scorpion (now red because otherwise the cause of death would definitely have been "Poisoning"), Powdered Drugs, Machinery

Key Evidence Cards: Red Wine, Umbrella, Spinning Top, Soap

Player: Assassini

Means of Murder Cards: Folding chair, Rope, Baseball Bat (now red because otherwise the cause of death would definitely have been "Severe Injury", because lets be fair that makes WAY more sense than Loss of Blood), Drill

Key Evidence Cards: Toy, Rose, Newspaper, Majong Tile

Player: Kythia

Means of Murder Cards: Steel Tube (now red because otherwise the cause of death would definitely have been "Severe Injury"), Drowning, Whip, Wrench (now red because otherwise the cause of death would definitely have been "Severe Injury")

Key Evidence Cards: Hat, Sack, Cigar (now unsure because otherwise the State of the Scene might more likely have been "Ashes"), Broom

Player:Madame Professor

Means of Murder Cards: Radiation, Injection, Wine (now red because otherwise the cause of death would definitely have been "Poisoning" or "Illness/Disease"), Fish Hook

Key Evidence Cards: Cake, Bracelet, Watch, Antique

Player: BAMF

Means of Murder Cards: Trowel, Unarmed Assault, Arson, Towel

Key Evidence Cards: Luggage, Electric Circuitry, Telephone, Tweezers

Player: Verasaille

Means of Murder Cards: Bites and tears, Sulfuric Acid, Illegal Drugs, Kerosene

Key Evidence Cards: Computer, Cigarette Butt (now unsure because otherwise the State of the Scene might more likely have been "Ashes"), Apple, Computer mouse

Player: James Moriarty

Means of Murder Cards: Stone, Crutch, Machete, Wire

Key Evidence Cards: Cigarette Ash (now red because otherwise the State of the Scene would definitely have been "Ashes"), Sock, Tissue, Name Card

Player: persephone325

Means of Murder Cards: Cleaver, Pill, Scarf, Pistol

Key Evidence Cards: Sunglasses, Toy blocks, Tattoo, Drama Mask

So... Now I'd like to revert BOTH of my statements about Kythia and Yugi. New favourite is Strangefate!

Although that confuses me because then he would have essentially helped me catch himself.

yugi006

I get what you are saying but remember clues either pertains to the weapon or key evidence. Not both. Most of the clues we can determine which they pertain to. Water Stain is unclear however. If it pertains to the weapon a lot of the choices can be eliminated. If it pertains to the Key Evidence it leaves a lot more options.

What is your reasoning behind eliminating Red Wine? It does have a smell to it.

Also even if you have ruled someone out as the murderer he or she could still be the accomplice which is something else we should look for.

Assassini

Quote from: yugi006 on January 08, 2016, 06:56:00 AM
I get what you are saying but remember clues either pertains to the weapon or key evidence. Not both. Most of the clues we can determine which they pertain to. Water Stain is unclear however. If it pertains to the weapon a lot of the choices can be eliminated. If it pertains to the Key Evidence it leaves a lot more options.

What is your reasoning behind eliminating Red Wine? It does have a smell to it.

Also even if you have ruled someone out as the murderer he or she could still be the accomplice which is something else we should look for.

Well, if this is the case it is worth saying that my first chart there, I highlighted in green every single card that I thought could be linked to any one of the clues TRPG has given us and I mean I did that individually as opposed to taking the picture as a whole. But is that really true? I sometimes might think it would be easier to try and paint the whole picture of the scene rather than specific cards, but I don't really know how the game works.

In hindsight I guess Red Wine should have been black. It was more a gut call than anything else. It could maybe even be Green if one was to interpret "Water Stain" as just a "Liquid Stain"... I'll have to think about that. My instinct still tells me to exclude it (because I don't think Remiel has any Murder Weapon cards which fit), but you are right to question that.

Oh. Man. I'd totally forgotten about that. Okay, so, when I said people could be "trusted". I meant they could be "excluded from the investigation"! :P

Also, I should say, looking at what I have now, I think I have a definite favourite set of cards to accuse and am pretty much ready to bite the bullet and go for it...

Assassini

Okay, I'm sorry for ANOTHER double post. Twice in one day, not really acceptable. However, I hope you'll all forgive me as I basically just started working through things in my head this morning and so my opinions keep changing at the drop of a hat as I rethink my position on certain things and take in new bits and pieces of information.

Anyway, while I think I am still willing to start off our attempts at catching the murderer, my certainty of earlier about who it was has completely evaporated in the past hour. Instead I have a list of possible candidates who each seemed to fit in my mind but slowly I've been eliminating them.

My previous and current favourite: Strangefate with Dismemberment and the Raincoat (or Plastic Bottle).
Thoughts: It seems to just about fit every clue, however I have a few issues with it. First off is that "Dismemberment" seems equally plausibly "Severe Injury" due to the Loss of Blood (I mean, who dies of blood loss after getting dismembered?). Also, in this case we have to accept that "Smell" was simply the lesser of evils rather than a distinct clue (because I might even have chosen "Visual" considering how gruesome the sight of a dismembered body might be).

2: Verasaille with Bites and Tears and the Cigarette Butt.
Thoughts: Fits perfectly with Woods, Blood Loss and Smell but the issue is that I feel TRPG would definitely have picked Ashes instead of Water Stain if it was this.

3: Kythia with Drowning and Cigar.
Thoughts: Similar to above in that it fits Woods, Smell and Water Stain (with the bonus of explaining why TRPG would pick Water Stain over Ashes) but just does not fit Blood Loss.

4: Madame Professor with Fish Hook and Cake.
Thoughts: This is actually a stretch for me, especially as it flies in the face of what I said earlier about thinking we could exclude her. HOWEVER, if one were to accept that the Cake is the cause of the Smell (which I had previously discounted) then it actually becomes a lot more plausible as the Fish Hook can account for Blood Loss, Woods and Water Stain. Plus, we can think in this situation, given the cards we've had, I don't think I could better provide a description for the Cake. Just a thought.

5: Remiel with Machinery and either Red Wine, Soap or Umbrella.
Thoughts: The issue here is that Remiel has three pieces of Evidence which could each account for the Water Stain, with Soap and Red Wine also accounting for Smell. However, only the Umbrella really would suggest the Woods. The only reason we can still entertain this really is because the Machinery is SO vague that the Woods might have only been the Lesser Evil in this case (with each of the causes of death seeming equally plausible frankly). If it IS this then we're in for a tough time.

6. Yugi with Ice Skates and the Cosmetic Mask
Thoughts: Not a big fan of this, but it does seem to account for every single one of the clues. We would have to consider excluding the Axe and Blood Release because without the Ice Skates there's nothing that really fits Water Stain (but again that might just have been a Lesser Evil thing and we should just be looking at the other three).

At this stage I still cannot see any combination of things which would allow BAMF to be considered. I also now think James and Persephone can be eliminated for the same reason and I now also think that Kythia and Vera likely can be eliminated too.

Putting all of this together... I THINK I have at least 3 pretty plausible suggestions. And considering that there are Eight good guys here, we could realistically vote for them and still have quite a few attempts left. What are people's thoughts?

Galactic Druid

New Clue!!

Victim's Clothing Options: Neat, untidy, elegant, shabby, bizarre, naked.

We're going with elegant.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Strangefate

Hm, it's easy wonder if this is a helpful clue at all since it's one of the last clues the Forensic Scientist has to give us.  What if style of clothing had nothing to do with method of murder or evidence?  He'd still have to play it, right?

Still, Madame P has the bracelet, watch, and antique as evidence cards, all of which fit elegant quite well.  So it could be an effort to point us towards her.  She remains my prime suspect, possibly with yugi as an accomplice.   Remiel's umbrella and yugi's cosmetic mask could also be 'elegant' so I still haven't discounted them entirely, but it's more of a stretch.  I guess a Tissue could be elegant too but that maybe fits 'neat' better and I've kinda dismissed James as a serious suspect at this point.  A Rose fits elegant nicely but it's hard to really connect Assassini to the other clues like Woods and Water Stain.

(As regards Assassini labeling me prime suspect I really don't feel like fighting it very hard as it doesn't eliminate me as an investigator even if he uses his accusation guessing wrong.  I do agree I have murder methods that would cause Blood Loss and a couple evidence pieces that could fit Water Stains.  Nothing, however, fits Smell or Woods really and the Forensic Scientist chose to give us those clues early on.  In the case of Woods, the very first.  That suggests to me he hoped those would put us on the right path.)
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

yugi006

The method of murder and the location has to be the first clues that are given according to the rules. There should be one more clue after this one.

Elegant doesn't necessary have to go with the Key Evidence cards as it says Victim's clothing and things like bracelet and watch  aren't clothing at all. I'm thinking it refers to the method of murder as well as the weapon meaning maybe the weapon didn't affect the clothing at all given the other clues that could have been given in the State of the Scene options like Bits and Pieces.

Also I'm not the accomplice as all I've been doing is defending myself and nothing else.

Remiel

By process of elimination, I have eliminated the following as suspects: 

Strangefate - there is nothing in his inventory associated with smell.
Assassini - there is nothing in his inventory associated with a water stain.
Kythia - the only item she has associated with loss of blood is the whip, and the only item she has associated with a water stain is drowning.  She could not have logically used both items.
BAMF - no item he has can be associated with multiple clues.
Verasaille - no item she has can be associated with multiple clues.
persephone - there is nothing in her inventory associated with smell.

That leaves the following possibilities:

Yugi006
Method: axe, ice skates, or blood release
Evidence: cosmetic mask

Reasoning: The cosmetic mask (spa) could, conceivably, be associated with a smell (it always smells pleasant in a spa) and with elegant clothing.  The axe and ice skates could both work in the woods and account for loss of blood.  The ice skates and the blood release could account for both the loss of blood and the water stain.

Remiel
Method: machinery
Evidence: Red wine

Reasoning: although I know I'm not the murderer, this is still a possibility.  The machinery could possibly be found out in the woods and account for loss of blood, while the red wine could leave a stain, have a distinct smell, and be associated with elegant (dinner) clothing.

Madame Professor
Method: fish hook
Evidence: Cake, bracelet, watch, or antique

Reasoning:  The fish hook is found in the woods (lake), could cause loss of blood, is clearly associated with water, and smells of fish.  Unfortunately, that leaves practically all her evidence as possibilities (the cake would smell pleasant, and the bracelet, watch, and antique could all be elegant)

James Moriarty
Method: stone or machete
Evidence: tissue

Reasoning: the stone or machete are both used in the woods and could account for loss of blood.  A tissue could be used to clean up a water stain, is associated with the nose/sense of smell, and an embroidered silk tissue (handkerchief) might be considered elegant.  Clearly, this is the weakest reasoning out of the four, but still possible in my opinion.

Galactic Druid

GM: So, this is the last clue of the original set of 4 I get to draw. After this clue is played, I draw one more, which I will use (it is mandatory, whether I want to or not) to cover up a previous clue (cannot be the cause or location), then draw an addition one and do the same. Once that last one is played, the final timer will be triggered.

Forensic Scientist: Time of Death Options: Dawn, morning, noon, afternoon, evening, night

The TOD was Dawn.

Assassini

Quote from: Strangefate on January 08, 2016, 03:38:23 PM
Hm, it's easy wonder if this is a helpful clue at all since it's one of the last clues the Forensic Scientist has to give us.  What if style of clothing had nothing to do with method of murder or evidence?  He'd still have to play it, right?

Still, Madame P has the bracelet, watch, and antique as evidence cards, all of which fit elegant quite well.  So it could be an effort to point us towards her.  She remains my prime suspect, possibly with yugi as an accomplice.   Remiel's umbrella and yugi's cosmetic mask could also be 'elegant' so I still haven't discounted them entirely, but it's more of a stretch.  I guess a Tissue could be elegant too but that maybe fits 'neat' better and I've kinda dismissed James as a serious suspect at this point.  A Rose fits elegant nicely but it's hard to really connect Assassini to the other clues like Woods and Water Stain.

(As regards Assassini labelling me prime suspect I really don't feel like fighting it very hard as it doesn't eliminate me as an investigator even if he uses his accusation guessing wrong.  I do agree I have murder methods that would cause Blood Loss and a couple evidence pieces that could fit Water Stains.  Nothing, however, fits Smell or Woods really and the Forensic Scientist chose to give us those clues early on.  In the case of Woods, the very first.  That suggests to me he hoped those would put us on the right path.)

Wait, does the Forensic Scientist KNOW what clue cards he has drawn and can choose the order in which to play them? Because I thought it was just a luck of the draw thing with TRPG "drawing" a new card every time he wanted to give us a clue.

Anyway, regarding the new clues: I have to admit that you do make a fair point about MP's cards and I would say that a Bracelet would definitely fit the category of Elegant rather than Neat (which I think might more suit a Watch). I actually think the Red Wine could also be described as Elegant actually. I realise it's not an item of clothing, but I think at this stage TRPG might be trying to give us a more specific "feel" for the murder from his choices and the Red Wine would suit that perfectly. I have to say the use of Elegant also does not completely exclude you, Strangefate, with the Raincoat. However, I would also say that if it were me as the Forensic Scientist I would have described that more as Neat rather than Elegant, so I think you have dropped a couple of spaces.

Instead I now think that Yugi's Ice Skates and Cosmetic Mask is my new favourite. Because, if you ask me, they both have a fairly Elegant feel to them (or at least, I picture Ice Skating as something of a elegant thing).

That WAS before this new card of the Time of Death, which frankly throws a spanner in the works for this particular thing. I mean, given the options I would have thought that Evening would have made the most sense for a cheeky wee night of skiing in the woods (following applying beauty products to your face, y'know). So, given that this was actually an option I have to admit I'm not exactly sure what TRPG was trying to tell us by using "Dawn" instead of any of the others (at least in relation to the suspects I have previously laid out)...

The ONLY thing which pops into my mind is that isn't there some kind of association between fishing and dawn? Like fish are more active at dawn and so it is a good time for fishing? If this is actually true then I think my prime suspect switched from Yugi to MP in the space of time it took me to write this post...

If that's not true... Well then, fuck, I have NO clue what he's trying to say.

Also, man, I really like the mandatory thing of TRPG having to cover up one of the clues. I mean, it's awesome because he might think ALL of his clues are really relevant and so will have to choose the one he thinks is least relevant, or he might get another really shit clue which doesn't actually link to anything. Or he might get the perfect clue and be able to cover up a shit clue. I love that balance right there.

Galactic Druid

GM: The cause of death is the same card every time. The location card played is the FS's choice of 4 cards. The remaining clue cards are drawn as a set of 4 to be played in the order and timing of the FS's choosing. Once all 4 are played, the second to last is drawn, and once it's played, the final one is drawn. Once it's played in the tabletop, everyone gets a chance to make their final case to the table and use any guesses, after which the game ends and unused guesses are lost the moment the last person is done speaking. I just went with a time limit for the forum to simulate the same countdown, but without limiting who could post and when.

yugi006

Here's the thing with my Ice Skates and Cosmetic Mask. None of them really relate to the Woods at at. At least one of them needs to relate to the Woods in order for me to be a suspect. Ice Skates is not something you bring to the Woods. A Comestic Mask has no place in the Woods. If the location was Vacation Home then I could see the Cosmetic Mask and possibily Ice Skates.

I'm not exactly sure what to think of the time of death clue.

The only possible thing I could think of is the fish hook but I'm not sure.

Remiel

Yeah, I agree with Assassini: I feel like Reginald's really trying to make us focus on the Fish Hook.

Unfortunately, he's really not helping us at all with MP's evidence.

Remiel

Looking back over the evidence, I had a thought.  Since RPG had four location cards to choose from, he must have felt that "Woods" was the strongest clue.   He had no choice about the cause of death, but the other four clues he played in order were Water Stain, Smell, Elegant, and Dawn.   It follows that he must have felt most strongly about the Water Stain, and least strongly about Dawn.

I find it very interesting that he chose Dawn.  This eliminates, in my mind, two possibilities: Yugi's Cosmetic Mask and MP's Watch.  If it was the cosmetic mask, surely RPG would have said either Morning or Afternoon; if it was the Watch, the only clue that makes sense is Noon (exact time).

Perhaps, just perhaps, he was using Dawn in the sense of "dawn of time"?  If so, then I believe that we are left with Madame Professor, Fish Hook, Antique.

(that's not an official guess, just musing my speculations aloud)

Assassini

Quote from: Remiel on January 09, 2016, 02:34:50 PM
Looking back over the evidence, I had a thought.  Since RPG had four location cards to choose from, he must have felt that "Woods" was the strongest clue.   He had no choice about the cause of death, but the other four clues he played in order were Water Stain, Smell, Elegant, and Dawn.   It follows that he must have felt most strongly about the Water Stain, and least strongly about Dawn.

I find it very interesting that he chose Dawn.  This eliminates, in my mind, two possibilities: Yugi's Cosmetic Mask and MP's Watch.  If it was the cosmetic mask, surely RPG would have said either Morning or Afternoon; if it was the Watch, the only clue that makes sense is Noon (exact time).

Perhaps, just perhaps, he was using Dawn in the sense of "dawn of time"?  If so, then I believe that we are left with Madame Professor, Fish Hook, Antique.

(that's not an official guess, just musing my speculations aloud)

I was having similar thoughts. TRPG must then have had access to 20 different locations and he felt that Woods was the most accurate of those, so we should be looking more closely at that. Another thing to consider is that he could see all four of his evidence cards before he gave them, so surely it makes sense that he would hand them out in order of relevance. Thus, the Water Stain must be extremely important because he played that almost straight away. So it makes sense to me then that he would play the others as we got closer and closer to try and guide us towards the correct answer, giving us nudges here and there. I think that the use of Dawn as a time was to try and make us focus on MP, because until then I at least was looking more closely at Yugi, Strangefate and you Remi. All three of you do not, however, have cards I would associate with use at Dawn.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that I actually still think Cake makes more sense than Antique, given that it seems that TRPG gave the Smell clue precedence over the type of clothing and the time of death... So, unless when TRPG begins to cover things up he covers up Smell first, I think my suspicion would now be MP with the Fish Hook and Cake.

Remiel

Yeah, the thing that's throwing me is that Elegant doesn't really jibe with Dawn.  Dawn seems to point to the Antique, for reasons already mentioned, but then Elegant doesn't really make sense.  If I had to choose between Elegant and Bizarre to describe an Antique, I'd go with Bizarre.

So I'm thinking it might be the Bracelet after all, but then Dawn doesn't make any sense.  Unless it's like you said, and he was trying to suggest dawn is the best time for fishing...?

Galactic Druid

I am covering up Time of Day - Dawn with the next clue card.

In Progress - Entertainment, Relaxation, Assembly, Trading, Visit, Dining

Relaxation

Verasaille

I have to admit now I am totally confused.

When you cover something up does that mean it is not relevant? Or just not useful to direct us to the right conclusion?
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Verasaille

After going over all this I have to consider things you are all saying. I do not like to pass over Assassini because when the clue Smell was mentioned I thought of the rose , which could also be elegant. As a means of murder I still think blood loss can be internal, and so a baseball bat, or even the drill could cause blood loss in the right place. Water stain could be tears if someone was crying. Or dew from the woods at Dawn!

Relaxation seems to indicate someone taking a walk in the woods, maybe a tryst with a lover, who broke a heart and left a rose. (I think I have been listening to this song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xnax0u03Ew
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Remiel

Quote from: Verasaille on January 09, 2016, 07:18:05 PM
I have to admit now I am totally confused.

When you cover something up does that mean it is not relevant? Or just not useful to direct us to the right conclusion?

It means that, of the four clues he gave us that weren't the location or the cause of death, he felt that it was the least relevant, or perhaps leading us down the wrong path.