Thread limits and post requirements

Started by Galactic Druid, July 07, 2012, 02:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

The new doormat has me wondering, just how big can a thread get before it auto locks? Does that even happen on E?

While I'm thinking about posts, I meant to ask about the titles we're given. I'm just a little curious, some of them have strangely specific post numbers. If I remember right, one was like 3,221 or something close. Do those numbers have any real meaning?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Autumn Sativus

Threads don't auto-lock, one of the Staffers will lock and archive them once they get too big. The official 'count' was set at 1000 pages but they can get bigger if there's no major issue with them. The Doormat was starting to load slowly, so the Staffers took care of that by starting a new one and archiving the old one! :-)
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Izzie Aditi

* Izzie Aditi liked this version of the birth of the new Doormat better:

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on July 07, 2012, 02:00:14 PM
The previous one was heroically slain by Lord Mayerling in an epic battle.

That's the official version, at least.
Quote from: Lord Mayerling on July 07, 2012, 02:04:12 PM
Here's a photo:

For the rest I don't have much to add ::)
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Galactic Druid

Sorry Saffron, But I have to admit, Izzie's answer was much more helpful.  :P
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Autumn Sativus

Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Izzie Aditi

“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Oniya

Regarding the 'Post requirements'

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=34268.msg1781568#msg1781568

QuoteTrivia: The numbers in between the factors of 10 are all rounded square roots of factors of 10. Every time you reach a new rank, you need to reach around 3.1622 times that number of posts to reach the next rank. The last post rank of 100,000 posts remains a mystery...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

Quote from: Saffron on July 07, 2012, 02:03:24 PM
Threads don't auto-lock, one of the Staffers will lock and archive them once they get too big. The official 'count' was set at 1000 pages but they can get bigger if there's no major issue with them. The Doormat was starting to load slowly, so the Staffers took care of that by starting a new one and archiving the old one! :-)

It's supposed to be at/around 30k posts. If they're allowed to get bigger the scan for posts can get really long, so I prefer to keep them down.

Caitlin

Hmm... So so far the biggest thread 'only' reached slightly more than 10% of the max?

I'd say let's put that max to the test, but considering the amount of effort involved in such an enterprise and my somewhat lazy attitude I'm more tempted to go with 'Meh' and just take your word for it. ;D

JackWhite

Quote from: Caitlin on July 08, 2012, 05:44:28 AM
Hmm... So so far the biggest thread 'only' reached slightly more than 10% of the max?

I'd say let's put that max to the test, but considering the amount of effort involved in such an enterprise and my somewhat lazy attitude I'm more tempted to go with 'Meh' and just take your word for it. ;D

The What are you listenin to? - thread is about 23k posts.

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: JackWhite on July 13, 2012, 08:15:40 AM
The What are you listenin to? - thread is about 23k posts.
Can't even properly open that thread when I'm mobile because too many Youtube-links make everything freeze up :-\

JackWhite

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on July 13, 2012, 08:19:52 AM
Can't even properly open that thread when I'm mobile because too many Youtube-links make everything freeze up :-\

But wouldn't you have the same problem with +- 3 000 youtube links?

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: JackWhite on July 13, 2012, 08:22:02 AM
But wouldn't you have the same problem with +- 3 000 youtube links?
Yes. Your point being ???  ?

JackWhite

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on July 13, 2012, 08:25:50 AM
Yes. Your point being ???  ?

That closing it at 3 000 posts like what's done with the doormat won't help much for mobile users.

Sessha

I think this got answered but at the risk of sounding like repeating the question. But what is the maximum count of posts that can be put into a small group game? I've seen the limet at 1000 or something like that and I was curious about it that's all.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Beguile's Mistress

1000 total in game posts are required to move a game from Small Group to Big Group status and earn it's own sub-forum.

Sessha

So when a small groups game reaches 1000 posts it automaticly gets moved to it's own sub-forum even though their are still maybe three or four players in it total? *is asking for clarification of this policy.*  :-)

Oreo

You need to notify staff when the RP reaches 1000 posts and they will verify, then create a subforum for the RP.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

When a small group game reaches 1000 in game posts - this excludes OOC, Chatter, Character sheets, information threads,etc. - it is eligible for Big Group status.  The GM can then ask Staff for Big Group status.  The request is reviewed and the decision handed down.

There is a sticky at the top of all Small Group Game forums.  The following quote is part of that sticky.

Quote from: Vekseid on March 10, 2011, 06:30:29 AM
Small and Big Group Games

Small Group Games are group roleplays that do not yet have their own forum.

Big Group Games are group roleplays that have qualified for their own forum because they have acquired enough posts, per the guidelines below.

Small Group Games

1) You may have a number of threads equal to twice the number of participants (players and gms).
2) Use the same tag to start each thread title, for example [Home of the Horny Housemaids] for your game.

Big Group Games

• If your game has over 1000 in-character (IC) posts, please contact a staff member to request a subforum for your game.
    • OOC posts do not count toward this 1000 post requirement. This includes character sheets, recruitment threads, OOC threads, etc.
  • Only one forum will be permitted per game; no subforums of your game forum are allowed.

Sessha

Ah good thank you. So if the thread owner didn't want to could they continue with the current thread where it is at or do they have to move?

Beguile's Mistress

The thread can stay in the Small Groups Forum if the players wish.  There is no requirement to have it moved after it reaches the Big Group size.

However, if your have several threads involved it might be more convenient to have a sub-forum created in order to keep all the threads in one place.

Sessha

We have only one other sub-thread in the game and that's the OOC thread where our character sheets are kepted but outside of that nothing else really. But thank you for that information it will be helpful in the future.