The Walking Dead Season 3 Premiere

Started by Lady Grimm, October 14, 2012, 11:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Or it's not a virus, zombie bites are just full of nasty infection and kill you and then whatever supernatural force is animating the zombies picks you back up.

The CDC couldn't get anything substantial on the cause of this state of affairs. I don't think anyone's proven it's a virus.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Shjade on October 16, 2012, 02:04:44 AM
Or it's not a virus, zombie bites are just full of nasty infection and kill you and then whatever supernatural force is animating the zombies picks you back up.

The CDC couldn't get anything substantial on the cause of this state of affairs. I don't think anyone's proven it's a virus.

Dang. You make a point! I think Starlequin and I were just showed up; what you're suggesting is a totally valid possibility.

Starlequin

Um, actually...
There's no reason to think there is anything remotely supernatural going on. The CDC seemed like it had a pretty solid grasp on the matter; it was just a bigger epidemic than they were capable of containing. If the cause wasn't viral, then how was Jenner able to track the infection's effects in his wife, and how could he tell Rick that the living were already infected with the dormant strain? If it was something supernatural, then there would be no reason for it to present in living hosts at all, and just about anyone could turn at anytime, which isnt what we've seen this far. A virus, probably an artificially engineered one, is the most likely culprit.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Starlequin on October 16, 2012, 09:47:58 AM
Um, actually...
There's no reason to think there is anything remotely supernatural going on. The CDC seemed like it had a pretty solid grasp on the matter; it was just a bigger epidemic than they were capable of containing. If the cause wasn't viral, then how was Jenner able to track the infection's effects in his wife, and how could he tell Rick that the living were already infected with the dormant strain? If it was something supernatural, then there would be no reason for it to present in living hosts at all, and just about anyone could turn at anytime, which isnt what we've seen this far. A virus, probably an artificially engineered one, is the most likely culprit.

+1

That is true; I am totally with you on this. I'm just willing to acknowledge that there are any number of possibilities. I am a firm believer in the virus thing, but, until there is a moment of 100% confirmation of the root cause, there are any number of possibilities as to what exactly is going on. Right now, all we can do is speculate based on the information we are given which, to me, totally points at virus. It is just that the writers could easily throw any number of curveballs. They've already done so a dozen times.

Shjade

Quote from: Starlequin on October 16, 2012, 09:47:58 AM
Um, actually...
Possible, yes. Most likely? Not necessarily. Being able to observe effects doesn't mean what you think you're observing actually is what's happening. CDC guy came to the best conclusion he could according to what made sense to him, but when all you have is a virus-tracking hammer, things tend to look like virus-nails.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Hmm.  Well then the virus would have to rapidly mutate otherwise a cure would have been found.  Also that means that if that when a victim is bitten their own infection would have to mutate into the biters infection, other wise they'd be double infected? (which would be silly).  I don't think that there is any supernatural thing going on.  I just want to know for sure that a non-lethal scratch or bite would infect.  However, Shjade made good point about the zombie bites having germs that could cause serious infection, human mouths not being the cleanest when alive, that could  lead to death.  If this is correct then I can see the amputation being a logical choice.  Of course we all still have no fucking clue on how the virus is actually spread.

For those who read the comics I understand that it is further along and it may have been explained but TV shows almost always differ from the book.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

I think they've actually explained less in the comic than the show. From what I recall they've come to the same conclusion re: you're going to come back no matter how you die if the brain's still intact, but beyond that people have more or less had an attitude that can be summed up as, "Who the fuck cares why they're zombies, they're fucking ZOMBIES, let's avoid them." There was no trip to the CDC in the comic, no real investigation into possible causes. They've just learned via cause and effect interaction with zombies and their victims and that's about it.
◕/◕'s

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Shjade on October 16, 2012, 04:36:02 PM
I think they've actually explained less in the comic than the show. From what I recall they've come to the same conclusion re: you're going to come back no matter how you die if the brain's still intact, but beyond that people have more or less had an attitude that can be summed up as, "Who the fuck cares why they're zombies, they're fucking ZOMBIES, let's avoid them." There was no trip to the CDC in the comic, no real investigation into possible causes. They've just learned via cause and effect interaction with zombies and their victims and that's about it.

Interesting... So they've really deviated quite significantly... Perhaps its to appease the much larger audience that the show can reach. People like answers, right? So if people don't get answers, they won't be happy campers and will probably stop tuning in. A lot of the appeal of the zombie concept is not knowing, but we're not talking about taking this concept and making it into something that a more mainstream audience can also enjoy.

Now what about predictions?!

Do you think...

Hershel will make it?

The leg-chopping will work?

Anyone else from the main characters is going to meet a demise anytime soon? If so, who?

The inmates will be accepting of the fact that there are new people coming and trying to get in on their sanctuary?

Starlequin

Hey, congratz on approval!
A'ight, now peep this.
Hershel will probably survive long enough to direct Beth and Maggie through delivering the baby, probably while the others fend off a sudden walker resurgence, then die tragically from shock and blood loss. Or he might turn and be put down just as little Shane/Sophia is born.

Probably no more deaths for a while, but eventually they'll knock off Carol first, because screw her, then Beth because it'll strain things between Glenn and Maggie and send everyone on another wild Carl chase.

Audrey will hook back up with the others, but Shane's death combined with the threat of the Woodbury community and her new 'loyalty' with Mishon will keep her from rejoining the group for a while.

The inmates will either get kicked out, killed, or assimilated into the Woodbury group; probably a few of each.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Starlequin on October 17, 2012, 02:50:21 PM
Hey, congratz on approval!
A'ight, now peep this.
Hershel will probably survive long enough to direct Beth and Maggie through delivering the baby, probably while the others fend off a sudden walker resurgence, then die tragically from shock and blood loss. Or he might turn and be put down just as little Shane/Sophia is born.

Probably no more deaths for a while, but eventually they'll knock off Carol first, because screw her, then Beth because it'll strain things between Glenn and Maggie and send everyone on another wild Carl chase.

Audrey will hook back up with the others, but Shane's death combined with the threat of the Woodbury community and her new 'loyalty' with Mishon will keep her from rejoining the group for a while.

The inmates will either get kicked out, killed, or assimilated into the Woodbury group; probably a few of each.

Thanks! Very excited to get roleplaying around here. :)

Ha! I love all your predictions. Good times.

That Hershel scenario seems likely. Particularly the bit with a zombie wave mid-labour. The birth is going to be an undeniable cluster f---. Like, God damn. I understand that it could be a really emotional and difficult decision to abort a pregnancy, but WHY would Lori have thrown up those pills? Like, how delusional is she?! Even if they weren't living on the run and constantly worrying about where their next meal was coming from (not good circumstances to raise a child to begin with), they have to be mindful of ZOMBIES. Like, what the hell? What makes anyone think that a baby who cries, essentially ringing a zombie dinner bell, is an even remotely okay idea? She is treating this baby like a blessing, when it is the biggest curse ever. If I found myself in this situation, and didn't have access to abortion pills, I'd have throw myself down the stairs in hopes of miscarrying ages ago. She is a selfish cow.

I hope you're right about Carol. Screw her, indeed! She is useless and has nothing to live for anyway. Pfffft!

And Beth, well, that will be hilarious for Carl. He'll be totally destroyed. And if you ask me, he deserves it after being a pain in the ass for so long. Plus, she is basically the only girl left in the world (practically, anyway) who he'll ever be able to hook up with ever. Ahahaha! Can you imagine? Scary thoughts.

But back on topic... In regards to Beth/Carl, though, isn't she like, 16? I'm guessing that based on something Hershel said in season two. And what about Carl?! Like, 13?! I know three years isn't very much in terms of age difference, but when you are that young, it is a pretty significant jump. Am I the only one that thinks that is weird?

Speaking of Mishon, what the hell is with the zombie pets? Like, what purpose do they serve? Or is she just f---ed up?

Aiden

The zombie pets are her former boyfriend and best friend, she drags them along for two purposes.
1. They are something of her past/loves ones.
2. When she travels, others walkers rarely notice her because of the walker presence. Like the time the group rubbed themselves with zombie guts and was able to sneak through a horde of walkers.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Aiden on October 17, 2012, 07:53:11 PM
The zombie pets are her former boyfriend and best friend, she drags them along for two purposes.
1. They are something of her past/loves ones.
2. When she travels, others walkers rarely notice her because of the walker presence. Like the time the group rubbed themselves with zombie guts and was able to sneak through a horde of walkers.

Oh...

Well, that's a little morbid. I mean, awesome that it works to keep walkers away, but it is still weird that she is dragging turned loved ones along.

Good to know, though. Thanks!

Aiden

I agree it is pretty morbid but pretty smart of her.

I understand her reasons to do it. I don't follow the comics but I did read the wiki to learn more of Mishonne when she appeared at the end of season 2.

Since the show has branched off so much from the comics, I think the walker past story is still there.

I want to learn more of THIS version of Mishonne and look forward to what happens with her and Andrea.

Lady Grimm

Quote from: Aiden on October 17, 2012, 08:18:34 PM
I agree it is pretty morbid but pretty smart of her.

I understand her reasons to do it. I don't follow the comics but I did read the wiki to learn more of Mishonne when she appeared at the end of season 2.

Since the show has branched off so much from the comics, I think the walker past story is still there.

I want to learn more of THIS version of Mishonne and look forward to what happens with her and Andrea.

As much as I wanted to, I didn't check the wiki for anything. I was too afraid of spoilers.

Yeah, I'm curious about her and Andrea, and how things go from here. I'm just damned impressed she survived so long on her own, even with the zombie decoys.

To be honest, though, I don't even care what happens at this point. I just want all the episodes now, now, now!

Geeklet

Also, as far as the zombie decoys, if you look, their jaws and arms have been ripped/cut off. So they can't really bite or scratch her. Pretty clever if you ask me.

Shjade

I will admit I'm curious about Michonne myself...but probably not curious enough to watch the show. xD
◕/◕'s

Lady Grey

It's official, Rick has officially lost his shit. He's completely lost his mind.

Lux12

Wow this is the most spoiler alerts I've seen in one thread.

Also, yes. Rick has gone and turned into a damn berserker within a matter of hours.

Lady Grey

Holy Shit! Worst part is that now the baby all makes them zombie bait. Someone get that kid a binkie and a blanket. At least Carl stayed in the house this episode. Andrea already regrets not leaving and I get the feeling the governor wants to fuck her. It's like watching a cat play with a captured mouse. It's horrifying, disturbing, and yet I can't look away. Damn you show for being so addictive!

Lux12

Quote from: Lady Grey on November 11, 2012, 09:06:58 PM
Holy Shit! Worst part is that now the baby all makes them zombie bait. Someone get that kid a binkie and a blanket. At least Carl stayed in the house this episode. Andrea already regrets not leaving and I get the feeling the governor wants to fuck her. It's like watching a cat play with a captured mouse. It's horrifying, disturbing, and yet I can't look away. Damn you show for being so addictive!
I was thinking about that as I was watching it. The sad part is, it all seems like a plausible outcome for an event of this sort.