Superheroes ~ SHIELD vs. Hydra (Looking for feedback and questions;running soon)

Started by persephone325, May 02, 2015, 06:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

How does this game work?

The game is a strategy and sneaking game, not a role play. Though plenty of 'role playing' is done in the 'flavor text' (voting), the primary point of the game is to discover the Hydra agents, or kill off the SHIELD agents depending on your alignment. The players are assigned a role before the game begins with Hydra agents, SHIELD agents and special roles. The goal for either side is to eliminate the opposite. Feel free to make descriptions of what you are doing, have fun with it, etc, but these will not affect the game-play.

How do you win?

~The goal of the SHIELD agents is to find out who the Hydra agents are and eliminate them before all the SHIELD agents are killed. SHIELD wins when they successfully eliminate all Hydra members.
~The goal of the Hydra agents is to eliminate the SHIELD members before their identities are discovered. The Hydra agents win when their numbers equal or outweigh SHIELD.

Notes

~Once the game has started, no new players can join unless requested by the GM to replace a member who had to leave.
~You must have access to PMs to play this game. I'm sorry unapproved members.
~The game decides your alignment, not your friendships.
~Your roles will be PM'ed to you before the game starts.
~Hydra agents are made aware of who other Hydra members are after the GM has made the opening post.
~You are required to post/vote. Anyone who has not voted for three rounds is likely to be removed by the GM to keep the game running smoothly.
~Hydra cannot attack other Hydra agents.
~Night phases are when Hydra picks a target to eliminate. Day phases are when people publicly vote against who they think the Hydra agents are.
~If someone is kept alive by a special role, you know that person is innocent. (Use this to your advantage, special roles! These people are on your side! Talk to them!)
~The game is a game of lies and deception. Lying about your role, motivation and what others have said/done in private is encouraged.
~Players are encouraged to talk among themselves, form alliances, and etc. Please add persephone325 to any game related PMs!
~Remember that everything you hear could be a lie... who can you really trust?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

Rules for the Forum Games

Dead characters don't talk. If/When you die, you should not post in the active game thread until the game has ended. Do not discuss the game with anyone of the living players, and do not discuss the game where living players can see it. This applies especially to the OOC threads. You can always chat with your fellow ghosts, and with the GM, but make sure no one living can read it.

There's no copy machine. You cannot directly quote/copy anything game related that was told to you anywhere other than in the active game. For example, you can tell others what role you received (and lie about it), but you cannot actually quote the text stating your role. Likewise, you can tell others what people told you (and make stuff up), but you can't actually quote what they said to you. You can of course quote anything said in the game thread, since everyone can read it. For clarification, copying someone's text without using the board quote tags is still quoting and still against the rules.

Monitor the game, not the players. Do not go check the Who's Online often to see what players are doing. Do not go check when each player was last online right after a certain action occurred. Base your opinions on what players are saying, not on outside elements!

The game decides the team. If you're a bad guy, and your best buddy is not, then so be it. You are still supposed to kill each other. Do not tell anyone your role, just because they're a friend of yours.

Games are for fun. This is a game, and it's supposed to be fun. Keep this in mind when playing, and don't try to think anything bad about the other players. See them as enemies or suspects in the game, but friends outside the game!

Keep the GM entertained. Whenever you send another player a PM regarding the game, send it to me as well. I'd like to read up on the discussion between players :)

Rules for Voting

Voting is mandatory. You cannot abstain from voting. After all, a major part of the game is based on deducting the voting pattern of other players. Preferably, everyone should vote as fast as possible, but of course people also have other things on their mind, so it's impractical to force people to vote within a certain time limit. However, if you have time to reply to the thread, you also have time to post your vote. (Your first post should contain a vote, when applicable).

Please do not hold back your vote until there are more votes in. If everyone starts thinking like that, then eventually nobody would vote anymore. Just bring out a random vote, and change your vote at a later time, if you found a more suitable target.

Votes can always be changed. Until a "Final Lynch Vote" tally is posted, you may change your vote as many times and as often as you like.

Please do not consider the person that votes first a 'bad guy', simply for the reason that they voted first. That person just happens to be the person to check the thread first, and if everyone always accuses the person first to vote, then nobody will vote first anymore, meaning nobody will vote anymore.

Do not vote based on game experience. Just because Valerian plays in every game, or Saffron is the GM in most games, that doesn't make them a target. The point of the game is to play well, and I will not accept votes based on "Well they're a strong player... we should take them out first."

Vote in bold. Whenever you cast a vote on someone, be sure to put the name in [ b ]bold[ /b ], so I can easily check who is being voted on.

You cannot vote on yourself for the lynch. You can only vote on others.

Do not edit your posts. If you change your opinion, make a new post with your new vote. Everything that's said in the thread should be visible at all times.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

persephone325

Good Roles
~Black Widow/Hawkeye - Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton have a complicated relationship. More often than not, they are romantically involved. They trust each other implicitly. Black Widow is a master of stealth. During the night phase, she can spy on someone and discern their alignment. Once per game during the day phase, Hawkeye can shoot a tracking arrow at any other player. He will know who they visit and who visits them during the following night phase.
~Captain America - Steve Rogers; a righteous super soldier with a strong sense of justice. Once per game during the day phase, he has the ability to prevent someone from being lynched. When he does this, that person's alignment (not role) will be revealed. If they are good, the lynching does not happen. If they are bad, their role is revealed and the lynching continues as planned.
~Hulk - Dr. Bruce Banner; an incredibly smart scientist with a minor anger management problem. During the night phase, he can choose to protect someone from being attacked. However, he cannot protect the same person two nights in a row.
~Thor - Son/Daughter of Odin; God/dess of Thunder. Once per game, Thor can choose to harness the power of Mjolnir to instantly kill someone. S/He also has the option to bring someone back to life the same way. If s/he chooses to bring back a special role, it will be transferred to one of the remaining agents. Everyone will know the special role is back in play, but no one will know who has it. If there are no agents left, then the person who originally had the special role will be brought back into play. (This is in a "last ditch effort" scenario.)
~SHIELD Agents - While these agents have so special abilities, their one power lies in their numbers. It's largely up to them to determine who can be trusted... And who can't.

Bad Roles
~Alexander Pierce - The main bad guy that calls the shots. He's the leader of the baddies.
~Rumlow/Crossbones - A trusted underling of Pierce. Once per game, Rumlow can use a special attack that prevents the victim from using their ability/ies until the following night phase. (The bad guys cannot kill someone AND attack someone this way during the same night.)
~Hydra Agents - Regular baddies that carry out the orders of their leader.

Neutral Roles
~Winter Soldier - James "Bucky" Barnes; the poor brainwashed soldier who is torn between being nothing more than a weapon, and remembering that his true allegiance lies with Captain America. His goal is to be reunited with Steve and leave his old life behind. If he is successfully reunited with his friend, then he becomes a good guy and wins if they win. If Steve is lynched or killed, he remains neutral. However, he will not win even if the good guys do. If the bad guys attempt to kill him, the attack automatically fails.
~Sheriff - Public vote on first day. Breaks ties during day phase lynches.
I don't know.

persephone325

Interested Players

• RPGuy*
  • Yugi
  • Blythe
  • Strangefate
  • LunaLillith
  • Asphodel Terrarium
  • Cera
  • Emmy
  • Leorobin

Questions? Please ask!
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

I'd be interested in either playing, or helping run as a GM if you'd like the assistance. Either way, count me in!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

yugi006

You know I'm always interested in any game that you run Persephone.

persephone325

Guy, if someone wants to join and there are no spots left would you be willing to give up your spot and help me run the game? Just wondering.

Yugi, you're so sweet. ^^ Thank you!
I don't know.

Blythe

Strangefate

A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

persephone325

Glad to see some interest!

Do you guys have any questions about anything? Maybe something that doesn't make sense in the roles? Or an inconsistency?
I don't know.

Blythe

I do have a question! ^^ How does The Winter Soldier's role work, exactly? The role says:

~Winter Soldier - James "Bucky" Barnes; the poor brainwashed soldier who is torn between being nothing more than a weapon, and remembering that his true allegiance lies with Captain America. His goal is to be reunited with Steve and leave his old life behind. If he is successfully reunited with his friend, then he becomes a good guy and wins if they win. If Steve is lynched or killed, he remains neutral. However, he will not win even if the good guys do. If the bad guys attempt to kill him, the attack automatically fails.

I'm not quite sure how this works--could you elaborate more on this role and the win conditions? How does he 'reunite' with his friend in order to get on Team SHIELD? (It's possible I'm just sleepy and not reading the role right or something. ^^; )

persephone325

Quote from: Blythe on May 04, 2015, 12:12:59 AM
I do have a question! ^^ How does The Winter Soldier's role work, exactly? The role says:

I'm not quite sure how this works--could you elaborate more on this role and the win conditions? How does he 'reunite' with his friend in order to get on Team SHIELD? (It's possible I'm just sleepy and not reading the role right or something. ^^; )

No worries. ^^

The idea for his reunion (in my head) is that the person who has the role of Steve and the person who has the role of Bucky have to, essentially, 'find' each other. This will be done through PMs. When people strike up alliances, (in any form. I.E. 'I won't vote for you if you won't vote for me', or 'let's make a pact to find out who the bad guys are' type of thing) I will make note of them. If Bucky and Steve find each other and form any type of alliance, then he becomes a good guy.

But it's not something that will be publicly announced, to keep people guessing. Can't give you guys too much information. If Bucky becomes a good guy and then Steve is killed or lynched afterwards, then he remains a good guy. If Steve is killed before then, Bucky will remain neutral.

That's pretty much all I have for the role so far.
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: persephone325 on May 03, 2015, 03:41:56 AM
Guy, if someone wants to join and there are no spots left would you be willing to give up your spot and help me run the game? Just wondering.

Yugi, you're so sweet. ^^ Thank you!

Absolutely! I love to help run games!

Blythe

Quote from: persephone325 on May 04, 2015, 01:22:16 AM
No worries. ^^

The idea for his reunion (in my head) is that the person who has the role of Steve and the person who has the role of Bucky have to, essentially, 'find' each other. This will be done through PMs. When people strike up alliances, (in any form. I.E. 'I won't vote for you if you won't vote for me', or 'let's make a pact to find out who the bad guys are' type of thing) I will make note of them. If Bucky and Steve find each other and form any type of alliance, then he becomes a good guy.

But it's not something that will be publicly announced, to keep people guessing. Can't give you guys too much information. If Bucky becomes a good guy and then Steve is killed or lynched afterwards, then he remains a good guy. If Steve is killed before then, Bucky will remain neutral.

That's pretty much all I have for the role so far.

So will Bucky be aware he's found Steve and become good once an alliance is formed in PMs? ^^

persephone325

Quote from: Blythe on May 05, 2015, 12:25:13 PM
So will Bucky be aware he's found Steve and become good once an alliance is formed in PMs? ^^

I think that's what I'll do between the two players. I don't think I'll announce it in thread, though. Just to keep people guessing.
I don't know.

Ceralilly

I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

Blythe

Ah cool, thanks for the explanation, persephone, that makes more sense to me now. ^^

And Ceralilly, this is similar to wolves in that there are a team of Good Guys vs. a Team of Bad Guys (and a couple of fun neutral roles) and follows a Day phase/Night phase format, containing a few special roles. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the hang of--if you look closely, Captain America is essentially functioning as a Bodyguard role, SHIELD agents and Hydra are Villagers and Werewolves respectively, etc.

This is very much like what you're playing now, with a few differences here and there along with a fun SHIELD/supers theme. Plus, persephone is a pro with these things and should be able to explain any questions you have. :)

Ceralilly

Quote from: Blythe on May 05, 2015, 07:50:04 PM
Ah cool, thanks for the explanation, persephone, that makes more sense to me now. ^^

And Ceralilly, this is similar to wolves in that there are a team of Good Guys vs. a Team of Bad Guys (and a couple of fun neutral roles) and follows a Day phase/Night phase format, containing a few special roles. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the hang of--if you look closely, Captain America is essentially functioning as a Bodyguard role, SHIELD agents and Hydra are Villagers and Werewolves respectively, etc.

This is very much like what you're playing now, with a few differences here and there along with a fun SHIELD/supers theme. Plus, persephone is a pro with these things and should be able to explain any questions you have. :)

Thank you Blythe!

The posting speed is the same, No?

If so I am saying YES, I would love to be involved. :-)

It has taken me long enough to get over here LOL
I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

LunaLilith22

I'm interested in this, maybe I'll be less stupid on my second time playing one of these types of games *laughs*

Madame Professor

Tossing my interest in. :-)

Quote from: LunaLilith22 on May 05, 2015, 08:09:58 PM
I'm interested in this, maybe I'll be less stupid on my second time playing one of these types of games *laughs*

Also... you are not bad at these games. I sorta put a target on your back by calling you out like that... >.> Sorry about that.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

persephone325

Aww, thanks Bly. :-*

Luna and Cera, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked. ^^ Should I mark you guys down on the list?

Madame, I would be honored to have you. ;)
I don't know.

Ceralilly

Quote from: persephone325 on May 05, 2015, 08:49:01 PM
Aww, thanks Bly. :-*

Luna and Cera, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked. ^^ Should I mark you guys down on the list?

Madame, I would be honored to have you. ;)

Yes please do!

Asphodel Terrarium

persephone325

Quote from: persephone325 on May 02, 2015, 06:52:27 PM
Interested Players

• RPGuy*
  • Yugi
  • Blythe
  • Strangefate
  • Cera
  • LunaLillith
  • Madame

Hmm... I don't know... The list looks rather full...

XD
I don't know.

Asphodel Terrarium

:P Sarcasm? In my defense, I might think it's like the speedometer in a car. Sure, there's 200 kmph there but the car can't go that fast- most likely it'll reach only up to say, 130 kmph.

;) Alright, kidding!

Edit to add: The more I read about the roles, the confusing it becomes. What is the role of the sheriff?

persephone325

The Sheriff is voted publicly by all the players. It's someone who can break a tie during the lynching of the day phases, if there happens to be one. It has no special powers or anything. I merely added it on the list so I wouldn't forget to have the vote for it in the first day of the game. (Which I've done before. XD)
I don't know.

Asphodel Terrarium

Ceralilly

Quote from: Asphodel Terrarium on May 08, 2015, 12:02:12 AM
:D Alright, thanks for the clarification.

It seems confusing unti you play it. I just ended my first and I assure you it's much more easy than it looks. ^-^

Galactic Druid

I do have a few questions, though;

Is Pierce the only one who decides who the hydra agents attack, if he's the one in charge? If not, how is he different from a regular hydra agent?

Also, how exactly does Bucky work? I understood the mechanics, but what's to stop him just PMing every last player until he gets a PM that he's a good guy?

persephone325

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on May 13, 2015, 02:40:38 PM
I do have a few questions, though;

Is Pierce the only one who decides who the hydra agents attack, if he's the one in charge? If not, how is he different from a regular hydra agent?

Also, how exactly does Bucky work? I understood the mechanics, but what's to stop him just PMing every last player until he gets a PM that he's a good guy?

Pierce is the lead guy. If he wants to kill a different player, then his decision overrules what the other bad guys want. Even if Rumlow wants to use his special attack. His underlings concede to his wishes.

With Bucky, he has to be in an alliance with Steve. From my experience in previous mafia games, not everyone is quick to jump into an alliance right off the bat. There's too many unknowns, especially in the beginning of the game. I think of this role as something similar to the Executioner role in Towns of Salem. Except instead of getting his target lynched, he has to form an alliance/pact with them in order to win.
I don't know.

Galactic Druid

I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on Pierce. I mean, if he can even instruct his allies when to use their own abilities, having that ability isn't going to be too special for it's user, and having the entire "evil" team decide together is one of the things that makes mafia work so well.

persephone325

Well with my games, I always like to have a "leader" type of role among the bad guys.
I don't know.

Ceralilly

Quote from: persephone325 on May 14, 2015, 03:33:16 PM
Well with my games, I always like to have a "leader" type of role among the bad guys.

So if you're a baddie, then you don't vote what you think is best, but as a hive mind? Or...Talking orders so to speak?

I am a bit confused on this...:-/ I wouldn't want to be limited in my strategy if I were just to be typing out what another player PMed me to say, so I think I am way on the wrong page with how I am interpreting this...*Damn newbie mind*

Madame Professor

Quote from: Ceralilly on May 14, 2015, 03:48:41 PM
So if you're a baddie, then you don't vote what you think is best, but as a hive mind? Or...Talking orders so to speak?

I am a bit confused on this...:-/ I wouldn't want to be limited in my strategy if I were just to be typing out what another player PMed me to say, so I think I am way on the wrong page with how I am interpreting this...*Damn newbie mind*

No, I definitely agree with Ceralilly. Having someone who can control one side of the board completely, regardless of their team's actions, isn't really in the spirit of a mafia game, in my opinion.

And, I think I'll be backing out, actually. These games are suppose to be about cooperation within the teams. Double Agents I can understand, but having one person have the say for the whole team doesn't appeal to me.

But good luck with the game!
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Ceralilly

Quote from: Madame Professor on May 14, 2015, 04:14:03 PM
No, I definitely agree with Ceralilly. Having someone who can control one side of the board completely, regardless of their team's actions, isn't really in the spirit of a mafia game, in my opinion.

And, I think I'll be backing out, actually. These games are suppose to be about cooperation within the teams. Double Agents I can understand, but having one person have the say for the whole team doesn't appeal to me.

But good luck with the game!

Yeah if this will be the theme, I don't think it would keep my interest, but stay true to your gut! have a good one all!

yugi006

I'll still stick around but that type of role is not appealing to me.

Blythe

Perhaps Pierce's role could be modified? Perhaps the baddies can vote on who they want to kill, but if they cannot come to an agreement or it's a tie, then Pierce makes the call? ^^; (Sort of like an eeevil Sheriff?)

I'm still in, by the way.  :-)

yugi006

Or maybe have his ability to override everyone only once a game?

Blythe

Quote from: yugi006 on May 14, 2015, 06:47:13 PM
Or maybe have his ability to override everyone only once a game?

I could go along with this. *nodnod*

Galactic Druid

Cera's concerns were exactly why I voiced my own. I think Yugi and Blythe have some good ideas. My suggestion would be to have him be more of a recruiter than a leader, override the attack and flipping an agent of your choice.

persephone325

That's why I posted here. I was specifically looking for questions and feedback. (As stated in the title.) So people could give suggestions on what they would like to improve, or change, to make the game more fun. Nothing is set in stone, so every time I run a game I'm able to improve it and make it better next time. But I can't do that if people back out because something isn't to their liking and they don't think I'll change it. (No offense. I've had extremely difficult players in the past, so this is particularly exhausting for me.)

I'm not a controlling and anal GM about everything. What I've posted isn't the end all and be all of the roles.

In another game, I had implemented Blythe's suggestion for the "lead" bad guy role. If the bad guy team couldn't decide on who to kill/attack, or they were split between two people, then the "lead" bad guy would make the decision for them.

If you guys are familiar with ToS, you'd see the similarities between my original idea for Pierce and the Godfather for the mafia side. The mafioso can chose a target, but the GF (if he chooses) can direct the mafioso to kill/attack a different target.
I don't know.

EmyKat

I have interest and I'm just kinda excited :3 partially cause I'm a comic nerd... *cough* I've been into superheroes since I was a little girl ^^ My favorite was always deadpool <3 in terms of good guys, and bad Poison Ivy :P but I love so many that it's like @-@ So this is awesome <3 Hawkeye is also bae ^^
My Ons and Offs <3 They are still being added on... Seeing that I'm kind of a scatter brain sometimes~
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=226265.msg11107629#msg11107629

Ceralilly

For the record: im not backing out. Lol

Just wanted to allow for creative discussion without too much newbie input.

Xoxo

persephone325

Quote from: Ceralilly on May 15, 2015, 09:13:43 AM
For the record: im not backing out. Lol

Just wanted to allow for creative discussion without too much newbie input.

Xoxo

I apologize. I had just gotten home from a long night of dancing/working (not how it sounds, I assure you. lol) so I must have misread.
I don't know.

Ceralilly

Quote from: persephone325 on May 15, 2015, 03:00:37 PM
I apologize. I had just gotten home from a long night of dancing/working (not how it sounds, I assure you. lol) so I must have misread.

No apologies necessary dear. I assure you, I felt no grumpiness, but I did want to make sure you didn't think I was pulling out just yet. ^_^

persephone325

I don't know.