Marvel: Dreams of Futures Now [Interest Check]

Started by Foxy DeVille, April 09, 2024, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy DeVille

Over thirty years ago, one act of violence changed the world.

The assassination of Senator Robert Kelly by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants set off an escalating chain of oppression against not only those dubbed homo superior but other superhumans and people who had the potential to bear offspring with the x-gene. First came registration, then restriction. Before long came internment and even execution. The anti-mutant activist William Stryker was able to make himself president for life by ignoring the law of the land. But the real power was with the robotic Sentinels. These evolving machines of death went from being tools of oppression to the role of oppressor. All who opposed them fell… X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers. The United States was in the grip of a metallic fist and the rest of the planet was threatened as the Sentinels sought to take their agenda global. Raids into Canada and Mexico had pushed matters to the brink, an assault on Braddock Manor in the UK had world leaders preparing to retaliate with nuclear weapons.

But during this time there was still resistance in America. Not just mutants but also those without any superpower beyond their will to see tyranny overthrown. There were many times that all seemed lost but hope endured. After much sacrifice the Resistance was able to hack into the Sentinel network and cripple its hive mind. There were still many battles ahead, but the tide had turned. Then finally victory was won and freedom from the robotic overlords was achieved.

Light had pierced the dark cloud but there was still work to be done. The Sentinels were greatly diminished but not gone. Likewise anti-mutant politicians were left without their most powerful weapon but were not disarmed. America’s standing in the world had been severely weakened as other nations had watched her descent into tyranny with disgust. The Soviet Union was stronger than ever as the US focused on oppressing its own people, allowing the USSR to extend its influence even more. Across the country infrastructure had been damaged by battles with the Sentinels and resources for repairs spent on factories for the giant machines, especially in major cities on the coasts. So many of the protectors of the people are no more, leaving the innocent vulnerable to new evils emerging. All grave concerns and yet there is more hope than there has been in decades.

Now it is two years after the fall of the Sentinels. There has been healing but there is so much more to do. Not just of the body but of the soul. This is the moment for new heroes to emerge, ones from all walks of life to show what a united humanity has to offer. The nightmares of futures past are over, it is the time of…

Greetings, true believers! This concept from the House of Ideas I call my brain takes place in a Marvel Universe after the acclaimed Days of Futures Past storyline. The Sentinels have been defeated and now it is time to move forward. There is still hardship but there is also hope. And a need for heroes. Looking for original characters but connections to canon ones are definitely allowed. If you wish to be someone carrying on a legacy, you can or you can be someone wanting to build one of their own. While mutants were the main focus of Days of Futures Past, it affected everyone and characters of all manner of origin are welcome. The overall feel is one of optimism after a dark age. The story will begin in New York City, where legendary Resistance leader Katherine Pryde is opening the Academy of Tomorrow. This school will cater to gifted students of all kinds, which will not sit well with certain closed minds. Thus things could get interesting at the public opening ceremony. And from there… who knows what the future holds?

If this sparks your interest, let me know…

Excelsior!

Kadigan

Angie

I could be interested. I've had a few supers ideas floating around lately.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

WhatLiesAbove

I might be able to bring a character from a different marvel game....could be interesting!

shengami

Am I on the hunt for a story? - Not especially...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Callie Del Noire

Foxy DeVille

w00t w00t! Glad so see so much interest! Let me know if you have any questions about the concept or wanna bounce any ideas around.

WhatLiesAbove

Quote from: Foxy DeVille on April 11, 2024, 12:19:27 PMw00t w00t! Glad so see so much interest! Let me know if you have any questions about the concept or wanna bounce any ideas around.

So my understanding is that it would be original characters, like descendants from X-men and such? No picking up original characters (like Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue, etc)?

shengami

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on April 11, 2024, 01:10:03 PMSo my understanding is that it would be original characters, like descendants from X-men and such? No picking up original characters (like Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue, etc)?

I hope so. Canon RP is not my thing! haha
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Angie

I have a couple ideas depending on what we're looking for. It seems like non-mutants would be okay? 

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on April 11, 2024, 01:10:03 PMSo my understanding is that it would be original characters, like descendants from X-men and such? No picking up original characters (like Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue, etc)?

Quote from: Angie on April 11, 2024, 06:13:53 PMI have a couple ideas depending on what we're looking for. It seems like non-mutants would be okay?

To answer both these questions... yes, original characters. Canons for the most part are likely in that Great Back Issue Bin in the Sky and the few survivors are thirty-plus years past their heyday. Legacies are definitely welcome but little connection to anyone starting out is cool too. And non-mutant are okee doke fer sure. One of the overall themes is unity after such a long period of divisiveness.

shengami

Sounds fun. I'll start noggining a concept.

As always, I am open to building a character with someone! Just PM me.
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

Kadigan

Assuming things get going, I found a fun picture that works well for a Moonstone concept. 

Isengrad

I do have a stable of Marvel Oc's I can bring in. Ill keep an eye on this.

original artwork by karabiner

Angie

Anybody got fun ideas to discuss? Not sure exactly what Foxy might be looking for on a sheet or anything but I was curious what others had planned. I may have ideas to bring in a reformed bad boy to the mix (don't worry, we're not going full Wolverine)

Foxy DeVille

Sorry but I'm gonna have to stick a pin in this for now. Things went to heck in a handbasket at my job and for the near future I don't think I'll be in the right headspace to run a game properly. I am into the concept and appreciate the interest so hopefully I'll revisit it when I feel like can do it right.