The Amazing Stupid Filter

Started by The Great Triangle, November 18, 2009, 02:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

Recently, the internet has gone to the effort of an ambitious project to filter stupidity from the internet.  Apparently, a group of programmers took several thousand youtube comments, ranked them in terms of stupidity, then constructed an algorithm to analyze the stupidity level of any given text.

The current state of the project seems a little lacking.  I've tried typing in long sequences of swear words, and as long as I spell everything correctly, it doesn't seem to identify it as stupid.  The filter also can't seem to detect bad logic, although it's apparently being designed as a moderation tool. 

So is this theoretical technology the salvation of the internet, or fascist dumbwittery?  I'm prone to thinking that the software could pass through several iterations before it can detect what is genuinely stupid.  (although it might be fun to take a look at rejected and accepted intro threads on the site and see how many of them flag as stupid on the filter.)

http://stupidfilter.org/main/index.php
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Leonis

As...someone...once said, only two things are eternal: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.

MasterMischief

I was not able to get anything classified as stupid.  Color me skeptical.

Serephino

I couldn't get anything to be considered stupid, and I submitted some pretty random and off the wall things.  Though I think stupid is relative and not determinable by a machine.  There is no substitute to a human moderator.