Wonders of Eberron (3.5 DnD sandbox game, interest check)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, March 03, 2011, 10:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Eh, that idea had occurred to me...  But I think I'd rather use the Weretiger savage progression on a human. ^^; It's too bad about the restrictive rules on Martial Adepts, though.  A Warblade would have been perfect for this character...

ulthakptah

because of the limited time you can shift per day I'm guessing.

Kunoichi

Yep.  Being able to have it up all the time is generally preferable, really, and since the savage progression doesn't actually change my size unless I take levels in the accompanying 'tiger' class, I should be able to walk around all day in hybrid form and with a Hat of Disguise on and stay perfectly disguised. ^^

Zaer Darkwail

You can be in martial adept class, you just need a good reason to have that training. If we follow the idea that your family holds no lycantrophes and your development is very recent then you may have background which supports that your a martial adept.

I list places where you can get training as martial adept;

Aundair:
Queen's Guard; Swordsage
Royal Eyes of Aundair; Swordsage
(Aundair is land of magic and so they appreciate less swordplay but swordsage fits as suitable 'mystic' with grace and elegance)

Breland:
The Citadel; Warblade (Sword or Shield section), Crusader (Shield), Swordsage (Sword or Dark Lanterns)
Swords of Liberty (terrorist organization); Warblade and Crusader

Cyre/Mournland:
Cyre is long gone now but it held one best martial adept academies of all five nations. You can be Mourner (a Cyrian) who got training there and perhaps lycantrophic condittion can be related to Day of the Mourning (you were close enough affected by the warping mists but far enough to survive to border). There is not much info on Cyre before mournign so I say this version;
Academy of Sword; Any martial adept, and added bonus you start with +1 discipline weapon of your choice, as con side all other nations piss down on you (as your 'nationless' and everyone has strong racism towards Cyre and many think Cyre got what it deserved, and so you get -2 to cha checks vs everyone who is not from Cyre)

Karrnath:
Rekkenmark Academy (must have noble blood); Warblade and Swordsage
Emerald Claw (terrorist group); Crusader and Warblade

Thrane:
Flamekeep guard; Crusader
Knight of Thrane (must be noble blood ancestory); Crusader or Warblade

General:
Special elite army unit during Last War (Like Red Cloak Batallion which resides in Sharn now); Any expect Crusader
Twelve (must have dragonmark); Any expect crusader
Belonging to special cult sect (like Blood of Vol has Emerald Claw as military branch or life stealers); Any

Kunoichi

That still restricts my options a lot more than I'd prefer, however. ><; Still, I suppose being part of an elite army unit would work...

Though, the idea isn't that she would have no trace of lycanthropy in her ancestry, but instead that she does, and that those traces have simply manifested fully for reasons that she is unaware of.  It's a plot hook for a DM to make use of, basically.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I meant that in her family has not reported lycantrophes. Meaning you had the blood all along tainted with lycantrophy (even your family unaware exchistence of this taint) but it never manifested until now.

Oh, I forgot that another place to get training is in Deneith dragonmark house. Warblades mostly tough. Another is the goblin nation but that's for goblins only.

Anycase I meant martial adepts to be rare in the setting. Not anyway non-exchistant but I want that figther is still common choice for most soldiers pick up than warblade which is way superior to a figther. I kind of enchance that superiority in making training to martial adepts harder to get into. Of course PC's all could be martial adepts (with the pre-set limitations and help color their background which in itself can give perks and cons) but thing is most of time you face figthers and less martial adepts. But if you do meet martial adepts in field of battle.....it means serious trouble.

Shortly said; I like martial adepts but I dislike how much they rape figther class. So I make figther more accessible for everyone while martial adepts less accessible. I could even house rule some stuff added to figther to make it more appealing (perhaps enchanced armor wearing like knight class does and one or two feats coming automatically besides bonus feats, like armor specialication and improved unarmed strike in 1st level besides bonus feat).

Kunoichi

Actually, if you want to add something to the Fighter class, give them the Zhentarim Soldier substitution levels from the Champions of Valor web enhancement without requiring them to be a member of that organization.  It basically adds a few extra things for free onto the Fighter class, anyway, so if you just remove the organizational requirement, it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Zaer Darkwail

I got Champions of Valor book but it has nothing about Zhentarim figthers. So free web added content? Anyways I consider that each nation figthers get substitution bonuses specific for each nation. Example Aundair may employ Duskblades more than figthers but plain figthers there could get some minor magical boosts (like Swahsbuckler gets Arcane Stunts in Complete Mage) innately to them.

Kunoichi

Yep, free web content.

Those are alternate class features, replacing certain class features with others.  What I'm talking about is substitution levels that add extra class features onto the Fighter without taking anything away.  Perfect for giving the Fighter a bit of a boost in power. ^^

Zaer Darkwail

Ahaa, I checked it. Looks very nice. It may fit few soldiers but it could be edited have variable suited for each nation.

But still I would keep martial adepts something special which stands out among rank and file soldiers.

Zaer Darkwail

Oh, Kunoichi, I thinked that another way you could study be martial adept is through a mentor who has been one of the afforementioned sources where martial adepts are taught. But thing is, if you show off your style in front of people who graduated from one the listed sources and learn your none from the said places.....they feel compelled to challenge you because they consider you a pretender, a fake. A pride of a few selected martial artist of Sublime Way is strong.

Also regarding your lycantrophe status; another way is that you had lycantrophe blood but the curse had buried so deep it no longer manifested in the family nor has done so for century or so. But then you got exposed to another curse which triggered your sleeping bloodline fully awake. Up to you decide was the trigger curse a temporally one or do you still suffer it (consider it is strong as hexblade greater curse or bestow curse spell).

NicciKotor

Actually, how would I go about making a female priestess? It is about time I went with a haughty elf priestess/princess type of character. Elf since they don't share humans sense of prudishness. Unless they are somehow different in Ebarron, I have no idea.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Kunoichi

Well, there are quite a few different Elven cultures on Eberron, really.  Though, the one most likely to have priestesses would be the Elves of Aerenal.

Online article one
Online article two

^That should help you learn some of the basics about them.

Zaer Darkwail

Also note elves of khorvaire would also be priestesses ;). Matter is what religion you breach for.

NicciKotor

Kunoichi

None, unfortunately.  You'd have to be a cleric of an ideal to get those two specific domains.  If you want the Elf domain, though, there's a Valenar Elf tradition that grants it.  You'd basically be a 'proud warrior' type of Elf, revering your ancestors and going around, bringing glory to their name.

On the other hand, for the Fire domain, I'm pretty sure at least one of the dieties of the Sovereign Host offers that one...

NicciKotor

Depends. I'm sure that being a elf already grants me access to the elf domain. Seems rather common sense there.

Kunoichi

Hmm, I suppose it would give you a justification...

In that case, looking it over, the only good-aligned diety who grants the Fire domain is Onatar of the Sovereign Host pantheon, God of the Forge.  You could either worship him directly, or worship the Host as a whole and pick any two domains from among the dieties in it.

Religions of Eberron Wikipedia article, for more info.

Zaer Darkwail

That's about correct. Or you can be proud elf (divine) warrior who takes inspiration from fire some way. Cleric of idealism basically and you can revere the ancestor you take inspiration from same way as some other cleric would revere on a god/goddess.

Anyways I allow flexibillity for choosing domains so long it makes sense.

NicciKotor

Those two feats so I can use domain spontaneity to fun effects. Elf domain gives me point blank shot for free, freeing up a feat for me to get precise shot. Going as a ranged priestess, since no reason for someone as noble and sexy as myself to get sweaty from melee combat!

Since point blank and precise shot affect ranged touch attacks. With fire domain + spontaneity, I can cast burning hands and produce flames as much as I please.

Zaer Darkwail

Burning Hands is not a ranged touch attack but area of effect but true, produce flame would work with point blank shot and precise shot. But you get point blank shot benefits to targets in 30'ft range if not use other spells change that. Also I guess you should take Zen archery which allows use wisdom mod instead Dex for ranged attack rolls with bows (and other ranged attacks).

NicciKotor

Depends if I can get enough feats for that at level 3. Otherwise this is going to be a dex/wis/cha character. 16 wisdom and 14 dex and cha from your 36 point build.

Also you did not specify starting gold. The standard rules for starting gold always seem low to me, since having a handy havorsack is just a requirement.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, for normal chars the starting gold is 2,700gp. But consider eberron setting is well known for 'low level magic junk' market. So all items which have CL requirement egual or less than 5 cost 50% less than listed from DMG. Items between 6-8 CL costs -25% less, 9-11 items cost full price. +12 CL items are considered artifacts in the setting.

Also exotic materials are more accessible; mithril armor costs -30% less and admantine costs -15% less. Cold Iron items costs -50%. Also of course MIC is always useful for finding low level items (for which this before mentioned discount applies).

If your recognized dragonmark heir, you get +50% bonus more gold than the rest and if items what you purchase are related to house business gets price reduced -25% (applied after DM ruled reduction). Example Cannith heirs practically getting all shiny magic items while Phiarlan gets related to performance or stealthy work.

Callie Del Noire

Hmm.. wondering if I should make Kyrie 'Ebonblade' Cannith again more and more. :D

Ironwolf85

Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.