Do Unto Others [NC:E]

Started by Dingo, July 24, 2014, 06:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

Ludo was bored. None of his usual games held any enticement. Even his favorite players had just lost their shine. Sure, as a ancient being of immense cosmic power, he had such slumps before. But the 'others' had after the first such slump forbidden him to make anyone participate against their will. They did not have to know the rules, agree upon them, or even play fair and without cheating. But they had to agree to playing a game.

And that was exactly what he would do and even using his favorite species of player. Humans. They just had that kind of spirit and intellect that would make such a game very fun. And they were stupid and backward enough to agree to things without knowing exactly what they would agree on. With only a little application of his power, he set everything in motion. An advertisement on every mayor website.

Island Paradise, The Game of a Lifetime. Click here to play. And then a picture of a beautiful tropical island, with handsome men and women in the background, as well  as a big red button that said: PLAY.

And then all he had to do was wait. And for an immortal he had to wait only for a very short time before some hapless mortal would click that button.

Upon clicking the button, the player is instantly transported to the island, where, on the ground around their arrival is a perfect circular ring of blank squares, as well as a most excellent miniature of themselves. So detailed it is uncanny. As well as others. Each placed on different squares. On the floor, in the center of the ring there is a message engraved in a language that seems to just seep into you mind, making it perfectly clear whatever language it is you speak. There was also a pedestal with upon it a dice bowl holding two ivory white six sided dice.

"Welcome to the Island. You are playing a game of Do Unto Others. Once per day, you have to roll the dice and answer a question from the card that appears. Preventing someone from rolling or answering the card makes you immediately forfeit the game. At any time you can forfeit the game willingly. The winner is the last player on the island."

Actual game information without too much of a spoiler.
The cards and the dice rolls determine those affected by the cards. The answer to the questions on the cards becomes true. This can and will have effects that alter the characters in some way. Mentally or physically (and in game universe terms ... 'permanently'). So for a change you will not have to take in account the sensibilities of people's Ons and Offs. 'After the change' has happened, you can at any time quit the game in character. It is after all the goal stated to declare a winner. There is also no rulebook present. beyond what is stated at the center, but I warn the players that there ARE rules. Some may even make common sense.

Each game day, will be one week in real time. Giving everybody ample time to socialize or explore, or enjoy the results of the magic.

That is all, hope there is a lot of interest.

Red Stella

Hmm....

I find this idea intriguing.  I'll keep an eye on this.  :)

Jezabelle

It certainly sounds interesting, color me intrigued; how often would "once a day" come iRL?

Dingo

Ohw, I'm glad that it caught some interest.

I would like to have every player to have played their turn within a week's of real life time. That way the game can keep moving and naughtiness and reactions to changes can be played out or written out.

It will also give people enough time to write short bursts of what happens at a specific turn, should they so desire.

And really I am absolutely glad there is interest.

WildStallionNYC

I'm intrigued...I'm curious how much the day to day activities on the island will be free form/organized/ controlled...

Dingo

As long as all players agree to the pace set, that shall also be the pace by which the game shall move. It is freeform only insofar as Ludo allows. It's not a tropical resort, but it is a paradise island. There is plenty of fruit to eat. The sea is bountiful. There are wild pigs should one want a bit more blood. And there are no predators. At least, non that are incapable of understanding the basic rules. And remember. All a player needs to do to get out of the game is to say it. And he is out of the game.

Beyond that, I can almost give a guarantee that a lot of behaviors can be severely punished.

KurganofPrussia

I am down... very mysterious.  I like it!!!

Shjade

Quote from: Dingo on July 24, 2014, 06:23:59 AM
The answer to the questions on the cards becomes true. This can and will have effects that alter the characters in some way. Mentally or physically (and in game universe terms ... 'permanently'). So for a change you will not have to take in account the sensibilities of people's Ons and Offs. 'After the change' has happened, you can at any time quit the game in character. It is after all the goal stated to declare a winner.

I think this could use more explanation, because at first reading it sounds like you're suggesting people can and should bump other players out of the game by purposely getting them involved in things that are on the no-no list of their O&O's to make them want to quit. That sounds like a terrible idea, which makes me wonder if I'm just misunderstanding something there.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Dingo

This is a game, even still. Set in a fictional universe. If I caught people trying to meta-game that badly. Well, game over for you buster. I expect a level of maturity from the players, just like anyone on Elliquiy does.

That line is there so, that suppose one person decides that role reversal might be fun ... changes all the men physically into women and vice versa. It is there to make those choices, without having to worry about everybody's sensibilities. This game is at it's core a challenge for your roleplay capability, as well as a means to see where your boundaries actually are. And I am giving the exit option at all times, because this goes 'far'.

And I repeat, it's not the idea to metagame. Then again, the game is called Do Unto Another. And you may yourself be affected by your own change.

Just so you are clear, I actually have a 'board' that I will be using. But some things are depending on the group size so I can't show the board yet. Not that it would reveal anything. Since it's blank except for the ring with the figures on it.