Political Intrigue and Corruption *mul*

Started by Aragem, March 22, 2009, 04:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragem

I don't know why, but I have in mind a game for corruption in politics and intrigue.

It could be a fantasy concerning a royal family or sci fiction government.  Where lust is carried deep in the heats of the elite, and a leader will loan his daughter to the bed of a rival in order to topple a nation. 

It's a world where being innocent is a crime and punished and cruelty is rewarded. 

I need help expanding upon this idea. 

Older And Wiser

Sounds a bit like Dune, by Frank Herbert.  I immediatly thought of the Harkonens.

The Dark Raven

Except the Baron didn't know Jessica was his daughter... ;-)

Course, the BG didn't exactly get their precious puppet out of Paul either...

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Vandren

I've been tossing around similar ideas myself off and on for a few years, but never got anything running.  So, I'd be happy to hash out some idea(s), Aragem, either F or SF.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Marlow

I know I'm not yet approved, but this sounds up my alley. So I'm showing my interest, so I'd like to join if I'm approved in a timely manner.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

Aragem

I prefer sci fic, but I can do fantasy if need be.

sparklingangel

I might be interested...Would love to hear more about this idea

Vandren

Sci-fi has been my own focus lately as well.

A few years back, I tossed around an idea that was very very loosely based on the mirror universe Trek - an Earth-based empire, possibly with some alien ally species, that took over much of known space (possibly inc. conquering other aliens), in which assassination, betrayal, and less than savory politicking were the most common routes to power.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

sparklingangel

Vandren - I like your idea...I would be in with that scenario.

Marlow

Quote from: Vandren on March 24, 2009, 07:42:30 AM
A few years back, I tossed around an idea that was very very loosely based on the mirror universe Trek - an Earth-based empire, possibly with some alien ally species, that took over much of known space (possibly inc. conquering other aliens), in which assassination, betrayal, and less than savory politicking were the most common routes to power.
Reminds me of Star Craft, Dawn of War, and to a lesser extent Dune.

I like it.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

Vandren

Quote from: Marlow on March 24, 2009, 02:26:02 PMReminds me of Star Craft, Dawn of War, and to a lesser extent Dune.

At the time, I knew little to nothing about any of those.  Since then I've read Dune.   :-)

Marlow

What could be interesting is if we went with the motif of the Dark Times era of Star Wars, where the Empire is still new, and its evils haven't been revealed. It's everyone for themselves, and if you form a rebellion you'll more than likely be branded as a terrorist.

So... perhaps this Empire hides its evils well. Or, just maybe, they aren't evil. They're a morally gray super-empire simply doing empirical things. The individual is not valued, only the Empire. Rebellions are many, but unorganized, and really, the majority of the populous aren't subjugated...

Basically a world where people are corrupt, and there is little one can really do. The characters have there personal demons, and are all to susceptible to... well everything.

That being said, there are bastions of life in the universe, but they are feeble when compared to the darkness.

Aragem

I have a few scenarios in mind.  A young adult growing up and having to adapt to the cut throat world of politics they are forced into by unyielding parents and/or used as a sacrificial lamb for some political game.

It's sorta like the Political Prisoner game I had with Ryvern a short while back which sadly has came to a halt.   About where a powerful alliance of countries took over this kingdom that still embraced monarchy and executed the entire royal family, except for a young man who happened to be the king's cousin twice removed.  And with the death of the royal family, that made him the heir to the throne and prince by defacto, however, due to keeping the peace with the natives, he is offically adopted by a governor sent to oversee the conquered land.

Vandren

If the interstellar empire idea works, one adaptation that comes to mind, Aragem, is the young individual sent to the imperial court as a hostage from a recent client state (or a recently conquered state, or one that recently rebelled).  Historically, this was a fairly common method of "ensuring" the good behavior of such states or national divisions (counties, duchies, etc.) and often the kids sent were "political hicks", although some (such as Atilla the Hun) became quite savvy.

Aragem

Such as a royal couple giving their youngest child (Not the heir) to an enemy state to give assurance that they will carry out their end of a treaty. 

Vandren

Yep.  :)

One thing I was thinking of in regards to perceptions, as Marlow, brought up is a fairly fluid view of the empire (even if it is well established).  That is, some people see it as a great thing and a wonderful civilizing force.  Others see it as an evil militaristic state.  And for others it just is. 

The general public probably wouldn't know what goes on in the court or the military - since most assassinations could either be blamed on internal insurrectionists, external assassins, accidents, or natural causes as far as public announcements go and political smear campaigns can obviously be pretty subtle even in our own system at least in terms of who is funding them.

Aragem

I have several characters I have in mind and I would like to play. 

1.  A hard edge bitch of a woman who manipulates people through sexual charms and blackmail

2.  A spoiled nasty daughter of a politician that curries favors from her father's rivals and allies who are really into teenage girls.

3.  A good girl growing up in dark work of underhanded politics and her innoence is used as a barganing chip in her father/mother's political scheme.

4. a princess/prince used as part of a treaty between two enemy nations. 

Marlow

Quote from: Aragem on March 28, 2009, 10:37:32 PM
I have several characters I have in mind and I would like to play. 

1.  A hard edge bitch of a woman who manipulates people through sexual charms and blackmail
Hello Margot Fenring.

Quote from: Aragem on March 28, 2009, 10:37:32 PM2.  A spoiled nasty daughter of a politician that curries favors from her father's rivals and allies who are really into teenage girls.
Hello Feyd-Rautha.

Quote from: Aragem on March 28, 2009, 10:37:32 PM3.  A good girl growing up in dark work of underhanded politics and her innoence is used as a barganing chip in her father/mother's political scheme.
Hello Alia.

Quote from: Aragem on March 28, 2009, 10:37:32 PM4. a princess/prince used as part of a treaty between two enemy nations.
Hello Princess Irulan.

lol, sorry. But it's impossible to have a political sci-fi story without having characters similar to Dune.

Anyway, I guess we should figure out some details. Will all our characters interact with each other? Are we going to all be on the same side? If so, which side would it be, the Empire, or some other entity, perhaps opposed to the Empire?

Vandren

Quote from: Marlow on March 28, 2009, 11:40:07 PM
lol, sorry. But it's impossible to have a political sci-fi story without having characters similar to Dune.

Sure it's possible . . . Farscape, Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica (new version), most of Robert Heinlein's work, a good chunk of Larry Niven's work, most of Fred Pohl's . . .

QuoteAnyway, I guess we should figure out some details. Will all our characters interact with each other? Are we going to all be on the same side? If so, which side would it be, the Empire, or some other entity, perhaps opposed to the Empire?

I believe the intent was to have a politically oriented group/game centered on the court.  Therefore, it would be in most character's best interests for the Empire to continue, even if they don't agree on how best to bring that about (or only want the part that benefits them personally kept intact).

On a side note, despite somewhat spearheading, I'm unable to run/mod this.

Aragem

You know what the funny part is?  I am very unfamiliar with Dune.

Marlow

Quote from: Vandren on March 29, 2009, 09:12:06 AM
Sure it's possible . . . Farscape, Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica (new version), most of Robert Heinlein's work, a good chunk of Larry Niven's work, most of Fred Pohl's . . .
Star Wars, Star Trek, and Battlestar Galactica are very dissimilar to Dune. Their main focus is on adventure, not politics, which is the central focus of Dune.

QuoteI believe the intent was to have a politically oriented group/game centered on the court.  Therefore, it would be in most character's best interests for the Empire to continue, even if they don't agree on how best to bring that about (or only want the part that benefits them personally kept intact).
Alright, that makes sense.

Vandren

Quote from: Marlow on March 29, 2009, 01:27:50 PM
Star Wars, Star Trek, and Battlestar Galactica are very dissimilar to Dune. Their main focus is on adventure, not politics, which is the central focus of Dune.

SW eps. 1-3 . . . heavily political with adventure backdrop; personal development; coming of age; apotheosis; heroic cycle; recasting of history.

ST:DS9 . . . heavily political with occasional adventure; religious exploration.

BSG (latest version) . . . heavily political with occasional adventure; religious exploration; personal development; apotheosis.  :)

The central focus of Dune, arguably, is representing the history of Islam in a futuristic setting (the books follow the life of Mohammed and his descendants virtually step by step perfectly).  One could also argue that another central focus of Dune is an adventure story.  Or a coming of age story.  Or a story of personal development.  Or a story of apotheosis (becoming divine).  Or a perfect example of Campbell's heroic cycle archetype.

Anyway . . . anyone want to take the lead on running/modding this?