The problems with MMORPGs

Started by Inkidu, September 29, 2008, 09:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I always wanted to play and MMORPG so I looked up a few, albeit free, ones and I've noticed no matter what the flashy previews say. It's all about camping. Working up your skills in mundane repetitive ways, and being an ass to new players. (Okay that last one's a tad biased but heh)

I don't know maybe I'm asking too much but I want an MMO where you can run and jump and climb walls, stuff like that. I don't mind that it's turned based but come on I don't want to have to camp to get anywhere in the game. I'd rather have to wait for a certain level to swim, climb or jump high enough than have to camp just to get a certain item or skill. It's just so damn dull, and there's no real player interaction. It's just really a bunch of recruitment and sell/buy requests.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

magnamos

Yes I do. I think Sociolotron and Second Life are good starts. Sociolotron lacks too much classic MMORPG Elements and Second Life... well... it's only MO. There are a few games withing Second Life but they are usually taken over by LAG.

I think a Game with more social interaction AND the common action known from former MMORPGs would change the world. I just don't like Games like World of Warcraft or Warhammer Online. The last one is probably the most disapointing since it got a great cut just before it was released. I'm back to Tabula Rasa and happy with it. It's nothing special in regards of Online Shooter but it has a special atmosphere. Besides: I like Foreans. They're pretty much the Asari of Tabula Rasa and Asari are WIN.

elenisil

Hi,

New to the site but I had to chime in.

Personally I love City of Heroes/City of Villains, have been playing since Dec 2005.  They  have Issue 13 now in open beta, never charge for upgrades.  Fully customizable characters, great powersets and plenty of powers to choose from.  PVE and PVP, teams of up to 8 players, task forces, several zones.  Only 14.95/mth and a score of other features.

I've tried others but didn't like them, check it out..2wk free trial

ZK

The only thing I don't care for is what is considered "The Grind" if that isn't any fun, there is no point in playing said MMORPG at all. You'll be bored due to it. WoW only has a fun Grind ever so often, but when the quests end up manditory collection quests, it grinds down. I haven't had any problems with WAR though, none whatsoever. So far, it's still fresh, fun and easy to get into as it is get out of.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

Haven't played one that didn't bore me to tears...

Inkidu

I think maybe instead of being a commerce simulator mmorpgs would benefit greatly from more of a linear-ness.
Like I said I want to jump, run, climb, fight on walls, swim, whatever. Just don't take the most boring aspect of rpgs and multiply it by ten, then market it. God so dull. 

HairyHeretic

http://www.darkfallonline.com/

Have a glance at that one. If it lives up to the aims / hype it could be VERY impressive.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 13, 2008, 01:34:55 PM
http://www.darkfallonline.com/

Have a glance at that one. If it lives up to the aims / hype it could be VERY impressive.
Hmm. One I'm sure it won't be free. I'm cheap I know, but I splurged on Fallout 3 (Which would be a wonderful mmo) and am paying for it in the budget. Still here's hoping but hype is never easy to meet...

HairyHeretic

No, I'd guess it will be a standard MMO, with a monthly fee.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ZK

Interplay is making an MMO Fallout game.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Revolverman

call me anti-social but the main problem with MMOs is other people.

ZK

I don't mind people, just the people who need their PC either taken away or broken... and sadly a lot of those people frequent MMOs. x.x

Revolverman

and its a fatal blow in my mind.

Inkidu

It really does make all gamers look stupid doesn't it? *Sigh*

Rubie

I'm definitely looking forward to a Fallout MMO.

The thing that keeps me in MMOs are my friends.  If I didn't have them to play with, I wouldn't bother.  That's what makes the grind fun.  I do enjoy meeting random players from time to time, but if I had to play with them constantly, I'd rather play a single-player game than put up with most 'other people.'

Sabby

Even being the raging Halo fan I am, the idea of a Halo MMO gets mixed reactions from me... if it really is in the works, all I can realistically hope for is its ACCURATE! :P

mannik

Quote from: Inkidu on November 13, 2008, 01:15:46 PM
Like I said I want to jump, run, climb, fight on walls, swim, whatever.

You can do most of those in city of heroes/villains.

Run...and super run
Climb...I think you can use ladders, it's been a while since I played it
Jump...and super jump...and fly even.
swim...you can do that
You can even teleport if you want to.

Yeah, I've played a lot of mmo's and they all do seem to be the same. With the exception of city of heroes/villains. It uses some of the same concepts, but presents them in an interesting and unique fashion.

For instance, there is no real inventory. You get items that are attached to your powers to augment them (Reduce mana, increase effect, long DOT, so on and so forth)

This changes the gameplay up more than you would expect. It is all about what power to use, and when depending on how your chosen powers are set up, not who has the better sword. I've seen the blaster archetype (basic ranged) be played intirely differently with the same powers. One player basically maxed damage, so it only took them two hits to bring something down, but they would have to wait for things to recharge and run out of mana. The other reduced mana cost and cooldown as much as possible and basically kept up a constant barrage of attacks that brought enemies down quickly.

Most MMO's don't really let you customize how the powers work, only the ones you can use.

Grinding is also a little different in city of heroes/villains. It's not so much about camping a spawn, as it is clearing a dungeon. You basically get a randomized mission from a cantact, and go complete it in a dungeon somewhere. If it's a hunting quest and not a dungeon quest, hook up with another player that is headed to a dungeon that contains what you need. You will both complete your individual quests at the same time.

These games also weren't filled with jackasses from what I remember of it. If you asked for help you usually got it, because the other players directly benefit from helping you. Hell, if you are short on money you can hook up with a lower level character (temporaraly lowering your level to theirs) and trade all xp gain for cash. A lower level can also hook up with a higher level as a side kick (their stats are raised to the one level less than the level of the mentor) and they gain extra xp while the mentor is close by.

I thik city of heroes/villains is probably what you are looking for. The only reason I no longer play it is because of the monthly fee.

Inkidu

I doubt it had what I'm really looking for. I'm looking for basically the Legend of Zelda the MMO. I want a more visceral feel to my game. Nothing in an MMO actually carries any weight beyond what you personally do. Though I understand one person could mess it up for the rest. I want my action to have a little more weight, a little more rumble I suppose. I dislike monthly fees but I understand. It's not because I'm cheap. I don't want to spend all that money one something I'm not going to like.

magnamos

You know what's one major flaw of every public relation department? They sell the game the wrong way.

At least half a year before the game hits shelv or harddisc, they show you epic trailers! Glorious Heroes go against the evil hordes of doom with swords sized like a table board. The demons storm into the lines of humans with earth shattering sound. The most powerfull of human sorceres cast there spells that tear the very earth apart and send down rays of light and magic energy onto the demon. One of the heroes get's hit but he can block the attack in the last second with his mighty sword, only getting pushed back half a mile instead of taking a mortal injury.

You look at that trailer and think... O_O EPIC!

Now you get the game. You need like half a year to reach a level where you get the more interesting skills (Blow, Mighty Blow and Really Mighty Blow in a rotation isn't very fun to play with) because you got a job. Now you reach the areas where you might reckognize one or the other enemy you have seen in the trailer (Seemingly Walt Disney's Shop of cute enemies was empty by now). You suddendly remind yourself of the epic trailer and you're attention is back, focused on the game. You start combat with one of the evil demons of doom but instead of the epic combat it look like this:

UberMage casts Fireball
Demon of Doom ressists
Demon of Doom hits UberMage for 233 Damage
UberMage casts Most_Powerfull_Spell_Known_To_Him
Demon of Doom is hit critical for 666 Damage
Demon of Doom dies

You look at that Combatlog and think... O_O EPIC .... fail!

Then there is this other thing. You beat the game by gaining levels. You take out some ugly Necromancer who made himself an army of rotting Dudes because he's so freaking powerfull. As luck would have it you're a Necromancer too. You beat someone who can ressist like 80% of all your abilities because you're so much more powerfull. Creating an army of rotting Dudes would be a snap for you BUT for some weird reason the developer of the game thought up so many cool abilities, locations, armor, skills and designs that are all exclusively available for NPCs that you squish every day like roaches.

Oh one more thing dear developers. I won't be another person because I wear a different T-Shirt so if you plan to make a new Monster in the game don't just use the same mesh with a different Texture. It won't get any more powerfull, epic or whatever. It only get's ridicolous that the thing you killed in hundreds already with a single slash suddendly whoops your ass because the mesh is slightly scaled up and it's red instead of blue. It also has a complete set of new abilities of course. If you look into the subject of biology. I'm sure that the reason for a shark beeing the more lethal predator than a deep sea snail is that the shark has grey skin *sagenod*
Remember kids! If you get bullied around in school, paint Tigerstripes on your skin and you will get an advantage in strength and speed.

Whenever there is a videogame that is announced by a 'Teaser Trailer' instead of a Gameplay Video I will ignore the further development until it proofed that it's really worth it after release.

Inkidu

Quote from: magnamos on November 18, 2008, 10:00:44 AM
You know what's one major flaw of every public relation department? They sell the game the wrong way.

At least half a year before the game hits shelv or harddisc, they show you epic trailers! Glorious Heroes go against the evil hordes of doom with swords sized like a table board. The demons storm into the lines of humans with earth shattering sound. The most powerfull of human sorceres cast there spells that tear the very earth apart and send down rays of light and magic energy onto the demon. One of the heroes get's hit but he can block the attack in the last second with his mighty sword, only getting pushed back half a mile instead of taking a mortal injury.

You look at that trailer and think... O_O EPIC!

Now you get the game. You need like half a year to reach a level where you get the more interesting skills (Blow, Mighty Blow and Really Mighty Blow in a rotation isn't very fun to play with) because you got a job. Now you reach the areas where you might reckognize one or the other enemy you have seen in the trailer (Seemingly Walt Disney's Shop of cute enemies was empty by now). You suddendly remind yourself of the epic trailer and you're attention is back, focused on the game. You start combat with one of the evil demons of doom but instead of the epic combat it look like this:

UberMage casts Fireball
Demon of Doom ressists
Demon of Doom hits UberMage for 233 Damage
UberMage casts Most_Powerfull_Spell_Known_To_Him
Demon of Doom is hit critical for 666 Damage
Demon of Doom dies

You look at that Combatlog and think... O_O EPIC .... fail!

Then there is this other thing. You beat the game by gaining levels. You take out some ugly Necromancer who made himself an army of rotting Dudes because he's so freaking powerfull. As luck would have it you're a Necromancer too. You beat someone who can ressist like 80% of all your abilities because you're so much more powerfull. Creating an army of rotting Dudes would be a snap for you BUT for some weird reason the developer of the game thought up so many cool abilities, locations, armor, skills and designs that are all exclusively available for NPCs that you squish every day like roaches.

Oh one more thing dear developers. I won't be another person because I wear a different T-Shirt so if you plan to make a new Monster in the game don't just use the same mesh with a different Texture. It won't get any more powerfull, epic or whatever. It only get's ridicolous that the thing you killed in hundreds already with a single slash suddendly whoops your ass because the mesh is slightly scaled up and it's red instead of blue. It also has a complete set of new abilities of course. If you look into the subject of biology. I'm sure that the reason for a shark beeing the more lethal predator than a deep sea snail is that the shark has grey skin *sagenod*
Remember kids! If you get bullied around in school, paint Tigerstripes on your skin and you will get an advantage in strength and speed.

Whenever there is a videogame that is announced by a 'Teaser Trailer' instead of a Gameplay Video I will ignore the further development until it proofed that it's really worth it after release.
You struck the nail on whatever semblance of a head it had, with that one. :D That's it exactly. It's all tedium and work. I don't want to mine fish. I want to stab fish through the head! D: Though the process of mining fish (Good God what has the world come to?) many would get stabbed by the pickax, but it's not the same!

Inkidu

MMO's are like the Matrix. They group large portions of humanity into a unreal world . Then they have them do meaningless repetitive tasks with no real reward beyond a new piece of swag. Then they harvest the monthly fees. Wash, rinse repeat. (Kooky theory for the day.)

magnamos

...and make the people feel happy. If I remember correctly the harvest was bad when they created the perfect world for these humans. You see now that bad MMORPGs are intended to keep the people buying them. If you would make an MMORPG that's pleasing to everyone all the way the people would become bored. Injustice makes the coins rolling it seems.