Another character question

Started by persephone325, January 03, 2014, 12:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

Yeah, I have another character development question.

I'm completely stuck when it comes to making history for a character for an RP. I tried using some generators, but all the ones I've used haven't helped. If anyone could point me to some good ones, I'd be grateful.

I could just message the GM of this game, but I get the feeling that she's rather busy... And I don't want it to seem like I'm relying on her to give me ideas or anything.

I'm just...stuck! >.<
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

greenknight

What is the character, genre, and setting.

There are plenty of 20 questions type lists. Those are a good place to start. Shadowrun has a good set up to 3rd, I assume WizKids/FanPro/(not FASA) kept it for the newer editions.

When it comes to fitting background themes to setting, this is where the GM has to work. "My character grew up raising and training the best warhorses in the land. That's what his house does. See? I even maxed out my ridin' and horse trainin' skills. And my dude's like 6 feet tall and green eyed and he's got a wicked tan but he's normally really pale if he can't work on it. And he trained the horses by the sea, that's how he got the awesome tan. So, does he fit the setting?" And then you can reasonably expect the GM to either shoot holes in your character details or rearrange his entire campaign to fit your special snowflake character you worked very hard on ;). Or serendipitously, it's an actual perfect fit.

But back to your question. Tell us about what your character can do (mechanics and stuff), a little bit about the setting, and what you've already got figured out.

Or, you can take another approach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyA-kGFXcuQ
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

persephone325

OK. Basically, she's a fae who works as a psychic. She's very intelligent, though she can come off as arrogant sometimes.

I'm stuck on personality as well, but I shouldn't have a problem with that once I get a history done. I can use it as a jumping off point.

The setting is modern supernatural/horror. Lots of other supernatural races involved as well.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

greenknight

Let's start with some questions to pin some things down.

Does she know she's fae? Was she raised in the fae world or is she a changeling? Can she return to the fae realms? Does she want to?

What are her psychic abilities? Is she actually prescient or does she multiple potentialities? Is she really telepathic and/or empathic and helps clients talk through the potentialities they think of? Is she just a really good manipulator/interviewer with no real psychic powers? What does she think of clients; people to help or rubes to fleece? Does she have other psychic powers besides those discussed (telekinesis, psychometry, etc)?

Is the campaign model one where there are a lot of supernaturals teamed up in a party? If so, what events brought her to join? What is her opinion of each of her teammates or other supernaturals? Does she have an experience that informs that (Grams always said to fear the leeches, they want your light)?

When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

greenknight

MasterMischief

I have Task Force Games' Heroes Now and Heroes of Legend.  They are great for inspiration for characters.  They contain charts that you roll dice on to get all sorts of background ideas.  They are out of print, but if you hunt, you can find used copies for around $20.