Adwords?

Started by Nadir, July 07, 2011, 06:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

Just checking to see if it's a legit thing or if something unsavoury has wormed into the forums.

Oniya

I'm not seeing them.  (I've seen them before on other forums, so I know what you're talking about)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Nadir

How strange... could it be a bug I picked up?

Ah, it does seem to be me, I'm seeing them elsewhere, too. >_>

*does an antivirus*

Oniya

Have you got a pop-up blocker on your browser?  I'm wondering if mine might be blocking the adwords.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Nadir

I think I do, I don't get pop-ups. I'm doing a few more scans, but I think I know what it is - my sister was over and there's a programme installed that wasn't there before called Xvid. O_o

Falanor

Not sure if Xvid did that...it's an alternate media player that plays all forms of video media.  I've used it before and haven't had that adwords thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvid

Nadir

Oniya

7-Zip is some kind of archiving software (lets you make ZIP, TAR, 7Z, etc. files). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7-Zip

Nadir

Yes, I know, but it doesn't mean things can't piggyback.

Oniya

True enough.  Turns out Adwords itself is operated by Google.  Could she have installed a new toolbar or somesuch?  I know that a lot of installations ask about installing things like that and a careless person might just hammer the 'OK' button without reading what they were OK-ing.

Nadir

Oh yeah, I saw a thing called buzzdeck latched onto google.

Wasn't Buzzdeck but I ripped out a few little things she had installed and restarted, which has fixed the issue.