News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

There's going to be inevitable speculation whether starting in Manaus, in the jungle, is part of what did England and Italy (and the US?) in.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Nico

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 20, 2014, 03:40:33 PM
What you Europeans fail to realize is that Brazil is about as big as Europe. It's practically it's own continent. Having people playing in the Beira Rio and then moving them up to Natal would be like playing a game in Denmark or Great Britain and then going down to play a game in Southern Spain or Italy. It's what Brazil is. You guys knew this coming in. If you can't take the heat, or cold, you shouldn't have come to dispute a World Cup in the first place. Quit bitchin' and start Playin'...

On a separate note, GO COSTA RICA!
I do not remember that anyone was 'bitching'.

Deamonbane

Thiago Motta (Ironically, a Brazilian himself) of the Italian team said that his team lost because they were less used to the climate than the Costa Ricans...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 20, 2014, 07:31:53 PM
Thiago Motta (Ironically, a Brazilian himself) of the Italian team said that his team lost because they were less used to the climate than the Costa Ricans...

One more reason to make sure Qatar doesn't remain as hosts for 2022. Playing world-class football in a near-desert climate at temperatures of 40 C or so is simply lunacy.

Phobetor

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 20, 2014, 07:45:47 PM

One more reason to make sure Qatar doesn't remain as hosts for 2022. Playing world-class football in a near-desert climate at temperatures of 40 C or so is simply lunacy.

There's apparently rumors flying that if they do the World Cup in Qatar, it'll be in another month/season. Cause seriously....temperatures right now for the next two week:

I'm hoping they lose it so the USA will get it cause they were the second highest bidders. *big cheesy excited smile*
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Deamonbane

The USA had it 20 years ago...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 20, 2014, 08:01:58 PM

Sweden fought through to a bronze medal in that one - still a legendary achievement around here (though aided by some rather favourable match draws, and an early exit by the German team)

Remiel

What about Australia?  Have they put in a bid?

Phobetor

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 20, 2014, 08:01:58 PM

Yes and it was one of the highest attending in world cup history. But I mean, the reason I mentioned USA is because they're second highest bidders. I wouldn't mind it anywhere else :)
Taking a break from E.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 20, 2014, 10:39:51 PM
Yes and it was one of the highest attending in world cup history. But I mean, the reason I mentioned USA is because they're second highest bidders. I wouldn't mind it anywhere else :)

I thought it was because of the size of the country (the size and climate variety of Brazil having been up earlier tonight)  :D

Aleph

Quote from: Remiel on June 20, 2014, 09:05:11 PM
What about Australia?  Have they put in a bid?

Yeah, there's talk here of the FFA suing FIFA if the bribery scandal comes to a head because the vote that knocked us out didn't gel with what we thought would happen (lots of suggestions that votes were rigged, etc.)

Deamonbane

Australia would be interesting...

Aleph

Well, we hold the Asian Cup this January, so we'll see what the reality might be like soon :)

I think we would need a few more grounds and some grounds upgraded, but thanks to the AFL and Cricket, we've already got a few grounds that are up to scratch. The MCG is the biggest stadium we have (approx. 100,000 capacity)  but yeah I think we'd do a reasonable job of a World Cup :)

Oniya

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 21, 2014, 10:30:57 AM

See how the rest of the world deals with red-back spiders in their football shoes...  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Phobetor

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 21, 2014, 10:30:57 AM

"The climate is perfect!"

"The stadiums are awesome!"

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!?!?!?!"

*Grins* I'd so go to Australia if the World Cup goes there!
Taking a break from E.

Remiel

Me too.  I've kind of always wanted to visit Australia, anyway.

Phobetor

Aleph can be our tour guide! ^___^
Taking a break from E.

Deamonbane

If you showed up in an outfit similar to your avatar's, I am sure he wouldn't mind...*grins*

Phobetor

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 21, 2014, 12:10:10 PM
If you showed up in an outfit similar to your avatar's, I am sure he wouldn't mind...*grins*

*Laughs* Not with the spiders I've heard Australia has! Hell no!!
Taking a break from E.

Remiel

Man, I am so far behind.  My goal was to watch every single match of this World Cup from beginning to end.  Unfortunately, my boss did not seem to agree.   >:(  Oh well, it's the weekend and I'm slowly catching up, thanks to my DVR.

My thoughts on Wednesday/Thursday's matches --

• This was not the same Spanish team that won the Cup in South Africa for years ago.  The loss of Carlos Puyol really hurt them.  Casillas made too many mistakes.  And I miss David Villa.
  • Cameroon simply imploded against Croatia.  It's nice to see Croatia get their confidence back after their loss to Brazil, but Cameroon was simply no contest.  Alexandre Song's red card sending off in the first half certainly didn't do them any favors.
  • Ivory Coast has a lot of speed and talent, but lack the discipline of their European or South American counterparts.  I continue to be impressed with Gervinho's prowress.  However, I found myself cheering for Colombia, just to see what kind of crazy dance they'd do when they scored.
  • Uruguay with Luis Suarez is not the same team as Uruguay without him.  Also, Wayne Rooney has got to be the unluckiest footballer in this World Cup.  I'm sorry to see you go, England.  Actually, I lied.  No, I'm not.  ;D

To my great dismay, my DVR ran out of space and the Netherlands / Australia match will be forever lost, thus rendering my goal a failure.   Worse still, from all accounts, it was a great game.  Still, I can't allow myself to be discouraged. I must press on!

More commentary later today as I get caught up!

Deamonbane

I don't think I would be saying this under any other circumstances, but... GO IRAN!

Remiel

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 21, 2014, 12:40:08 PM
I don't think I would be saying this under any other circumstances, but... GO IRAN!

Hey Deamonbane, can you explain the antipathy between Argentina and the rest of South America? Is it just rivalry or is there something else there?

Phobetor

I adore Messi! <3 I do hope Argentina advances ^_^
Taking a break from E.

Dashenka

I hate him.....

Iran deserved a draw.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Deamonbane

Mostly rivalry, but Brazilians don't like Argentina mostly because of their style of play, which involves a lot of underhanded tactics...

And... Oh well, you guys should have known better than to leave Messi unmarked...