Discord

Started by Cynadea, September 03, 2017, 12:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: Reno on December 09, 2017, 06:35:05 PM
My privacy extensions make using the web interface hit or miss but the idea of a pidgin plugin seems like the perfect compromise, since that's what I was looking to  replace anyway, thanks!

And none of those events were in Miami. :)

*cough*  ;D  (Of course, something that only occurs maybe every 40 years or so is kinda rare, but you might consider Sydney - which hasn't seen legit snow in 200 years.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Reno

I dunno. Never in 200 years vs once in 400 years seems pretty close... And there might, somehow, be some contrivance of events that might have me install discord on my phone, so a non-zero but miniscule probability seems bang on what I was looking for. :)

Al Terego

Oniya, quick, install discord on Reno's phone while I distract him!

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Al Terego on December 09, 2017, 08:02:04 PM
Oniya, quick, install discord on Reno's phone while I distract him!
>:) ;D O:)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oniya

Man, you do not want me anywhere near a smart-phone.  I'm lucky I can manage the dumb ones.  XD
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheHangedOne

I'd be all down for an official E-Discord. Voice chat is fun. There also would be an SB-like feature integrated into it, allowing for text channels... with a much longer memory than the current one (not saying to replace the SB, just that people could also chat on it like that if they didn't want to voice, or they could listen to voice and type responses back if they didn't feel comfortable/couldn't speak for whatever reason).

Quote from: MagicalPen on October 25, 2017, 09:01:29 AM
The E-Mumble was dead last time I checked. People moved to Discord but seem to be a pretty elite group since the invitation wasn't given to everyone. Or at least that was the last I heard the last time I logged into Mumble. I don't bother anymore since no one was ever on it the last few times I joined.
Mumble's always dead when I pop in, too, because the core crowd that was there decided to make a Discord channel of their own, as far as I know. But it was never an official one, just their own private hangout.

Quote from: Reno on December 09, 2017, 04:20:27 PM
The big thing stopping me from switching over to Discord is that there doesn't seem to be any smooth way on the PC client to choose between multiple identities (and it's gonna be a snowy day in Miami before I put it on my phone!).
There is a way to change your display name on each of the servers you're on, but your primary handle--what you registered with--would stay the same. You wouldn't need to worry about people seeing what servers you belong to, though. If I add you as a friend on Discord, for instance, it will tell me the servers WE ARE BOTH ON--I.E. the Elliquiy one, but it won't tell me if you're ion the Knitting Club and it won't tell you that I'm in the Secret Panda Petters Club Discord.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Kazyth

I use Discord for some of my gaming stuff, but for E I have a Skype account set up specifically to chat with and plan with partners who don't like PM as much.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Al Terego

Pidgin has a plugin for Skype as well (and for many other protocols as well)

AmbrosiaPudding

I think I would also be down for an official E discord.
Let me become your favorite partner ~

Solo Count 0/10
A/A's
Ons and Offs
Ideas
Brosie's Shop

Reno

Quote from: TheHangedMan on December 10, 2017, 05:57:51 AM
There is a way to change your display name on each of the servers you're on, but your primary handle--what you registered with--would stay the same. You wouldn't need to worry about people seeing what servers you belong to, though. If I add you as a friend on Discord, for instance, it will tell me the servers WE ARE BOTH ON--I.E. the Elliquiy one, but it won't tell me if you're ion the Knitting Club and it won't tell you that I'm in the Secret Panda Petters Club Discord.

I keep a pretty strict separation of online identities, and that would be the twain meeting, so it's a no go.

I did reinstall Pidgin (I uninstalled it when they announced AIM was going dark, since that was my last account in it) with the discord plugin, though. So it's ready to go when I need it.

Evil Tim

I would completely be down for an E Discord.  It's the only IM service I use now that AIM's gone, Yahoo is stupid, and Skype has been disagreeing lately.

RedPhoenix

I like having only one IM program and discord is my favorite by far atm, so I would support an official E discord, maybe even to replace the shoutbox which is a bit primitive.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Yukina

An E Discord would be awesome. :)

Fury Aphrodisia

Okay, so, what is Discord and why does everyone keep trying to push me to get this damned thing?

I play Pokemon Go quite a bit, and those people keep pressing me for it, not to mention that I've had more than a few people just assume I had it (that's dumb) and demand some sort of contact information.

I've heard that people can use it for voice chats, but we already have Mumble and quite frankly, that's already a massive pain in the ass to try to figure out every time for what amounts to not a lot of fun once you get in and you're all cranky from having to figure out how to use it in the first place. Most voice programs aren't intuitive or simple. And about a year and a half/two years ago now, I was castrated for a time and lost SB privileges. As far as I know that was never meant to be permanent but it was never reinstated after I was turned loose again. I could have brought it up to staff, but honestly, I don't miss the function, largely because I was never really a good fit for the SB to begin with.

From the way this thread begins, it really sounds like we're being demanded, or at least heavily pushed, to sign up on Discord? Even with the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't the case and I just misinterpreted, I find myself wondering what purpose yet another (other, other, other, other, other) chat system would serve? We already have access to dozens of potentials, from Google Hangouts to Skype to ... I can't remember what it was called but it was a single program that amalgamated multiple account types... then we have mumble and the SB specifically for us, and now yet ANOTHER password to remember, another set of login, another program taking up space on computers and phones, ANOTHER system to try to figure out and learn to use and become familiar with before everyone drops it an heads to a new system anyway, making Discord eventually obsolete and pointless. I hate learning new systems. I wish people weren't so fickle. I honestly don't know what was wrong with MSN Messenger. :/

What can we gain from this system that we don't already have? What makes it a worthwhile investment? I suppose in short (and hopefully less standoffish) "Why should I?"
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Oniya

E is not going to require people to sign up for Discord, much as we don't require people to sign up for Mumble.  This is a proposed 'extra feature'.  I have heard that it is easier to use than Mumble and quite popular among gamers in particular, but I have no actual experience with it.

On a personal level, I don't use either Mumble or Discord simply because I don't like voice chat.  That should be enough of a reason for anyone (on E or off E) to stop asking you (personally) about it.

mioyumyum

So I created a server and such using discord. And I'd love to invite people to this server, but what if I just want to do 1 x 1 with someone? How do I invite them to the server, but keep it private in case other people know the server name?

Thorne

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on December 14, 2017, 03:35:25 PM
Okay, so, what is Discord and why does everyone keep trying to push me to get this damned thing?

I play Pokemon Go quite a bit, and those people keep pressing me for it, not to mention that I've had more than a few people just assume I had it (that's dumb) and demand some sort of contact information.

I've heard that people can use it for voice chats, but we already have Mumble and quite frankly, that's already a massive pain in the ass to try to figure out every time for what amounts to not a lot of fun once you get in and you're all cranky from having to figure out how to use it in the first place. Most voice programs aren't intuitive or simple. And about a year and a half/two years ago now, I was castrated for a time and lost SB privileges. As far as I know that was never meant to be permanent but it was never reinstated after I was turned loose again. I could have brought it up to staff, but honestly, I don't miss the function, largely because I was never really a good fit for the SB to begin with.

From the way this thread begins, it really sounds like we're being demanded, or at least heavily pushed, to sign up on Discord? Even with the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't the case and I just misinterpreted, I find myself wondering what purpose yet another (other, other, other, other, other) chat system would serve? We already have access to dozens of potentials, from Google Hangouts to Skype to ... I can't remember what it was called but it was a single program that amalgamated multiple account types... then we have mumble and the SB specifically for us, and now yet ANOTHER password to remember, another set of login, another program taking up space on computers and phones, ANOTHER system to try to figure out and learn to use and become familiar with before everyone drops it an heads to a new system anyway, making Discord eventually obsolete and pointless. I hate learning new systems. I wish people weren't so fickle. I honestly don't know what was wrong with MSN Messenger. :/

What can we gain from this system that we don't already have? What makes it a worthwhile investment? I suppose in short (and hopefully less standoffish) "Why should I?"

Probably either Trillian or one of it's cousins. I can't speak for any of the cousins; I'm only familiar with Trillian, and ...YMMV, and so on. Use what you like. ^^;

I'm not a fan of Discord - I have it, but I also have Mumble, and so far the only thing Discord has that Mumble doesn't is that it's easy to set up and get into. Er. I think Discord might also have a webcam plugin. I think. Maybe. I'm not sure....
Mumble has a learning curve, but I think they're basically the same program; one is just prettied up and streamlined... and not run on a server that anyone you know controls, which is the part that makes me, personally, twitchy about Discord.
Mumble? Mr. Thorne runs a Mumble server. E's Mumble server is run by Veks. I know, more or less, where and what I'm connecting to, something I can't say for Discord.

Leaving aside the name, which just.. *sigh*
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Fury Aphrodisia

Quote from: Oniya on December 14, 2017, 03:55:53 PM
E is not going to require people to sign up for Discord, much as we don't require people to sign up for Mumble.  This is a proposed 'extra feature'.  I have heard that it is easier to use than Mumble and quite popular among gamers in particular, but I have no actual experience with it.

On a personal level, I don't use either Mumble or Discord simply because I don't like voice chat.  That should be enough of a reason for anyone (on E or off E) to stop asking you (personally) about it.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of voice chat with just random people, largely because you always get a few people that dominate the conversation and everyone else just has to go along with it. Eventually, you get bored and wander away to do your own thing. That said, it's not so much that individual people are relentless about it, more about the fact that one person will push until I say "no, and I won't ever, so stop it." And then the next person pushes until that point, and the next, and the next.... people looking at me like "Why the hell don't you have Discord?" Or sitting there trying to enumerate the virtues of it like "But... it has..._______" As though that's somehow going to change my mind.

I got to the post in this thread where people were saying what sounded like "We have a plan for Discord, just wait!" And I groaned. It may be I'm cranky because I'm exhausted, but I feel like this is another social media trendy thing that's going to be on its way out soon enough. There've been like, six "next big thing"s in the last two years. There's no reason to set up something official for every trend that comes along.

But if we're not making it mandatory, then I'm satisfied. Carry on!
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Fury Aphrodisia

Quote from: Thorne on December 14, 2017, 05:05:41 PM

Leaving aside the name, which just.. *sigh*

Hahaha. Yeah, if you want to make something social, why call it "This is where you'll fight a lot!"

I honestly had no idea this thing was bigger than PoGo, I'd never heard about anyone else using it till just today with this thread.

Ket

Quote from: Oniya on December 14, 2017, 03:55:53 PM
On a personal level, I don't use either Mumble or Discord simply because I don't like voice chat. 

It also supports text chat, both group and individually.

It really is designed mostly for gamers, as it runs concurrently with Steam, and will tell you which games those on your friend's list are currently playing (if they are playing any).

I like it for several reasons. One, most of the old IM systems are either disappearing or dying. AIM is gone, YIM is integrated into their horrible website interface, and I don't think Hotmail's chat client works any longer. That leaves IRC, which I have personally never understood, Skype, which is just annoying, and Google Hangouts, which requires me to have an extra email account as I'm not sharing my personal one with anyone on E, no offense. Two, it's easy to use, at least for me. Servers are easy to maneuver through, posting images and gifs is quite easy, and the design is simple without appearing like it is decades old.

But that's just me and my reasons.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: Ket on December 14, 2017, 06:47:09 PM
It also supports text chat, both group and individually.

It really is designed mostly for gamers, as it runs concurrently with Steam, and will tell you which games those on your friend's list are currently playing (if they are playing any).

I like it for several reasons. One, most of the old IM systems are either disappearing or dying. AIM is gone, YIM is integrated into their horrible website interface, and I don't think Hotmail's chat client works any longer. That leaves IRC, which I have personally never understood, Skype, which is just annoying, and Google Hangouts, which requires me to have an extra email account as I'm not sharing my personal one with anyone on E, no offense. Two, it's easy to use, at least for me. Servers are easy to maneuver through, posting images and gifs is quite easy, and the design is simple without appearing like it is decades old.

But that's just me and my reasons.

tbh, before I heard AIM was shutting down, I refused to use Discord, but when they made that announcement, I needed to transition SOMEWHERE and Discord was just easiest.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

The Dark Raven

Quote from: mioyumyum on December 14, 2017, 05:01:21 PM
So I created a server and such using discord. And I'd love to invite people to this server, but what if I just want to do 1 x 1 with someone? How do I invite them to the server, but keep it private in case other people know the server name?

You can use the PM part of Discord for 1v1 stuff.

Also, Discord does not require a headset or mic to use.  I use it as a typey chat thing.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

RedPhoenix

Yeah I don't voice chat and I use discord as a chat program. It's the one most people from E are on these days. It has a bunch of good features, my favorite is that it's not anything you have to install you just log into it like a webpage.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Fury Aphrodisia

See, being a gamer was how/why I was relentlessly pressured to join Skype for two years till I finally did it. If you're just using it as a text chat, I don't get why all the hate all of a sudden. Like were people lying to me? Are they lying to me about Discord, too? I get that Skype updates insufferably frequently, (I think this newest one is second or third one this year) but it works just fine on my phone and I never load chat on my computer anyhow. Computer is browser, phone is chat.

On top of which I have four Google emails, so Hangouts isn't bad. People keep saying Discord is easy to use but I've watched people use it and motherfucker is convoluted as fuck.

I honestly do not understand peoples' obsession with chat rooms. I never feel the inclination to chat with a whole bunch of people I don't know. You can't have a decent conversation with people talking over each other like that. Hell, I barely want to be physically in a room with a bunch of people I DO know. After five or six, it's just too much.

I guess that's why I prefer Skype. I have one text conversation with one person if I need it. I have never been faced with a situation where I've needed more than that and I generally leave group chats after I get the gist of the information. So, for one-on-one, direct relay, phone-based chat service, I don't feel like the hate Skype gets is warranted.

Plus, it makes me really fucking bitter that I'm expected to migrate chat systems every 2-4 years because something new is trendy and that's where everyone is, making all the time and effort pointless. Why make me switch if you're just going to leave in two years anyways?

Ket

To be honest, I haven't used Skype in a couple of years. And using it for text purposes then was horrible for me, because there was no way to enlarge the font size (at least that I found), and the font was so intolerably tiny.

To each their own. Signing up for Discord won't be required to continue to use E, so you are good there.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.