Starting small: Undermountain PF (full)

Started by ShadowFox89, December 09, 2011, 06:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 01:59:20 PM
Point-for-optimization point, Paladins and Monks are the weakest core classes...you can make them good, but you can make any other class as good or better for the same amount of effort.

It also depends on context - if the Fighter likes to carry a Tower Shield and Full Plate, and thinks standing in one place and waving his longsword will convince the monsters to hit him instead of the squishies (and the DM agrees), the Wizard likes spamming Magic Missile and Fireball, and the Cleric only memorizes Cure spells, a Monk can indeed look good.
Ah yeah, for point buy definitely. Proof that the game was set up for rolls. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 02:35:23 PM
Ah yeah, for point buy definitely. Proof that the game was set up for rolls. :\

Well, I wasn't referring to point-buy by 'point-for-point', but it's true that both of said classes suffer significantly under Point-Buy because of their severe MAD. Even with maxed-out stats, though, the Paladin is still an utterly boring chassis devoid of any relevant or meaningful abilities after level 5, and the Monk is a schizophrenic heap of every kung-fu movie cliche ever with negative synergy. It wants to do too many things, and ends up being mediocre at all of them.

ShadowFox89

Pretty much. If you guys prefer, we could go with Pathfinder classes, though I'd have to say the basic set and psionics only in that case because I have only played PF two or three times.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

If you've played 3.5, you've played PF. The only differences worth caring about are skills (which changed for the better) and Combat Maneuvers (grossly simplified, and severely weakened in the process).

Using PF's a good idea anyways, the base classes have more abilities and can be much more fun to play, even if they didn't significantly change the power differentials.

Inkidu

Well, I don't have any Path Finder materials or anything...
So, I guess I'm out if that's what you guys decide.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 02:59:48 PM

Yes you do.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 02:59:48 PM

There's the SRD, which has plenty of material.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 14, 2011, 03:03:42 PM
There's the SRD, which has plenty of material.
You're going to have to de-abbreviate SRD for me.

ShadowFox89

System Reference Document. Glyphstone linked it in his post. It has all the relevant information for building a Pathfinder character and it's what I use when I can't mooch a book from a friend for a day or two.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

I'm reading it and there's just enough new terms and stuff that really throws me off.

Like a level one pathfinder monks gets both stunning fist and improved grapple?

ShadowFox89

Pathfinder is essentially a collection of houserules put together in the form of a published work. You can read through Unearthed Arcana and find much of the same stuff.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 14, 2011, 03:24:33 PM
Pathfinder is essentially a collection of houserules put together in the form of a published work. You can read through Unearthed Arcana and find much of the same stuff.
I kind of got that vibe, I guess I'm just not familiar enough with it though. Like CMD. I found it in the glossary, but I have no idea how to determine it.

ShadowFox89

Combat Maneuvers are things like bull rushing, tripping, and disarming.

Your CMB (Combat Maneuver Bonus) is Strength + Base Attack Bonus. Your CMD (Combat Maneuver Defense) is 10+ Strength Bonus + Dexterity Bonus. Both have modifiers applied based on size in a 1:1 increment.

CMD is used to opposed CMB. To break it down, it is a separate attack and defense form for doing things other than hitting people with a stick or throwing fireballs.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

So they basically took things like bullrush and charge and gave them their own values?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 04:14:22 PM
So they basically took things like bullrush and charge and gave them their own values?

More that they took things like Bullrush and Charge and made it so you roll against a fixed target number, instead of making it an opposed check where both sides roll dice. It makes them much harder at low levels, and a bit easier at high levels.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 04:18:19 PM
More that they took things like Bullrush and Charge and made it so you roll against a fixed target number, instead of making it an opposed check where both sides roll dice. It makes them much harder at low levels, and a bit easier at high levels.
I don't suppose you'd know where I could procure some Pathfinder PDFs?

ShadowFox89

The Paizo website or, I believe, DriveThruRPG. Can't give you a suggestion on anything else of course.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on December 14, 2011, 04:20:32 PM
I don't suppose you'd know where I could procure some Pathfinder PDFs?

You can get everything Paizo has published for Pathfinder except its adventure modules 100% legal and for free at the SRD that I linked above.

Inkidu

Okay... skills. I don't get pathfinders use of skill ranks.

EDIT: Never mind, it finally clicked.

ShadowFox89

It's just like 3.5, except with the following:

Max ranks = Hit Die
Class skills = +3 bonus to skills
If you are in your favored class, +1 skill point a level or +1 hit point.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=353190

That should take you to the pathfinder version of the essentially same character.
I need to know starting cash and traits, but I think I've got it down. :D

ShadowFox89

Max starting gold for your character. And please list when you got your feat (1st level, human bonus, monk bonus, etc).

You also get to pick a favored class. If you pick monk. you get an additional +1 skill point or hit point per level. Also, as a human, you get an additional skill point.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Like this:

Feat name (1st. Lvl feat)
Feat name (human bonus feat)
etc.

Inkidu