Environmental Tempurature

Started by Missy, June 08, 2017, 10:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

So I live in an apartment with no centralized AC and am unlikely to invest in something I will use for only a couple more months. Since I'm building a new PC which cost more than I ever want to spend on a paperweight I'm concerned about how summer temperatures might impact the internal temperature of my machine.

Oniya

What level of 'summer temps' are we talking about?  My current machine does fine in a PA summer, but I used to have a machine that would just shut down completely if you ran it more than three hours in the same weather.  (Half an hour of cooldown would bring it back to life, but the folks at the shop could never find a problem with it - in their climate controlled testing environment!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Missy

Well its Southern Indiana, it can get intense if theres a heat wave, the last few days its hovered above 80 in the house. The fan I bought has helped a fair bit, it was almost 90 the other day and word is the weather is supposed to get hotter . . . it looks like it could get as high as 94F in the coming week.

Oniya

Might not hurt to get an auxiliary cooling fan for the machine itself.  Beorning had a thread here not long ago where people talked about such things, as well as apps that can tell you what the internal temp of your machine is while it's running.

(Edited in link - it wasn't where I remembered it to be.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Missy

Auxilliary Cooling Fan? I'm going to have four on the inside, filling all the internal mounts, there's additional options than that?

Oniya

Eh - I think that might even handle Arizona summer.  O_O