X-Men Academy Interest Check (NC-Human)

Started by Archivist, August 10, 2010, 04:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archivist

Setting
It is 2021, and most of the X-Men known and loved by a generation have retired, died, or are fighting the good fight in distant parts of the world. After Professor Xavier's death at the hands of the Phoenix and subsequent resurrection, he stayed with Dr. Moira Taggert, leaving his School for the Gifted in the hands of Storm and Beast. The name has changed to the Xavier Academy, but the curriculum and the mission remains the same: To train a new generation of mutants and give them the skills to control their powers. From each graduating class has come new X-Men, young men and women called to answer the mission of protecting Earth from all those who would threaten it.

Game Notes
This would be a loosely system-based game. By that, I mean there is a progression in ranks that would determine how powerful and what abilities a mutant could have. For instance, a telekinetic mutant might only be able to lift other objects at first rank, but by the third he could lift himself. This is just an example and would very much so be open to negotiations. The rankings are determined by participation in the game, with players advancing at their own rate as they want. Higher ranking players, IE those that have been around for a long time, could be invited to present mission ideas, lead them, or even join as a co-GM.

The general flow of the game would be "Month On, Month Off". Every other month, a "mission" would be available to the players, and each person would have the choice to participate or not (though it would be highly encouraged), and between missions would be considered free-time. This helps to keep the game fresh, provide opportunities for people to develop their characters and abilities, and still participate in the X-Men Universe.

Characters
Being an Academy for young mutants, all characters would still have to be above the minimum age of 16. Short of that, any ability or power would be considered, though not all might be accepted. Marvel defines these as Class 1 through Class 5, and anything over a Class 3 power would be very carefully looked at and discussed.

Shout Out
This game is based off one of the longest running RPGs I have ever played in, the Nexxus Academy. It was a PBEM that ran sometime in the late 1990s to early-mid 2000. I have done my best to get in contact with the GMs, who I know only as Bobbie and Brian (B&B), and it is my hope that they would approve of this game.

This is obviously a very short synopsis, but I hesitate to go into more detail without knowing I have an audience.  All this having been said... anyone interested?

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

Hiraku kagi wa kitto kimi ni te no naka

Empyrean

Nexxus? I used to play on there! :) You've definitely got my interest.

Archivist

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

LadyDiscord

Join my village and make money.
✔✦✘

Tydorei

Florence

O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Wolfy

undisclosedtoyou

I am very tentatively interested in this game.  I love the idea and setting a whole hell of a lot, but I usually stay strictly with free form.  Systems can be a bit intimidating with me.  That being said, is the progressing into higher ranks the only system quality in this game?  Or will dice rolls and stat sheets be thrown in to?
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Archivist

It is the only system quality in the game. Strictly speaking, it's not even a system so much as a meter to encourage involvement in the game. Higher ranks allow for more freedom with powers, additional characters, more participation in the behind the scenes work if so desired, etc etc. It also provides a way to break up the monotony of just writing a story arc, because there are many different categories to write posts in.

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

kckolbe

So any type of combat between characters will be freeform?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Archivist

Yes, with the understanding that if there is an issue the GM can moderate. In essence, respect the limits of the free-form world.

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

kckolbe

Ah, not for me then.  Like the setting, though.  Best of luck.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Archivist on August 10, 2010, 09:16:08 PM
It is the only system quality in the game. Strictly speaking, it's not even a system so much as a meter to encourage involvement in the game. Higher ranks allow for more freedom with powers, additional characters, more participation in the behind the scenes work if so desired, etc etc. It also provides a way to break up the monotony of just writing a story arc, because there are many different categories to write posts in.

Okay I can completely go along with that.  I'm definitely in for now.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

BigBuckBob

Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

kingOFcalifornication

FunnyGuy91

Empyrean

I used to play Leo Garibaldi and Sebastian Coltrane on Nexxus. :)

So what are you considering to be Class 1-5 powers? Is there a reference sheet or something we can refer to when making characters?

leechtamer

Archivist

Cool, I'm counting ten interested so I'll start working on a more detailed write-up. While I'm getting the behind-the-scenes stuff ready (I should have most of it finished by Saturday night), I'll put a character sheet up tonight so that everyone can start working on a character.

Empyrean: I remember Coltrane actually. I played Joshua Donnelly, and a few others that never amounted to much. Josh was my big dog! I might need to pick your brain about what you remember about Nexxus, it's been years since that was running.

For the classes, I did a casual search when I wrote the original post to try and find something that clarified the classes a little more. I think Marvel may have changed it again, because I found a lot of references to "Alpha", "Beta", "Delta", and "Gamma" mutants, but nothing specific to Class 1-5. I'm going to keep looking.

I found this on an old board.. it's not the greatest, but it's a rough guide to the types of mutants.

Alpha Mutants
The Alpha Mutants are the most powerful and most feared mutants. Alpha mutants have extremely powerful mutant traits without any significant flaws. Less than 10% of mutants are Alpha mutants so they are very rare. Some of the Alpha mutants include Gambit, Professor X, Colossus, and Emma Frost.
Classify Mutants as Alpha level if they have a normal human appearance and their mutation is powerful, useful and controllable (i.e. turn it on and off, direct it at will.)

Beta Mutants
As far as how potent their powers are Beta Mutants are on the same level as Alpha mutants. The difference between Beta Mutants and Alpha Mutants is that the Beta Mutants have flaws, albeit very small flaws. The Beta mutants are also believed to be about 10% of the mutant population. Some examples of Beta mutants are Wolverine, Mystique and Sabretooth.
Classify mutants as Beta Level if they have a normal human appearance and their mutation is powerful, useful, but less controllable, like Cyclops who can't turn his power off, but can still lead a normal life with only minor preparation. Wolverine, who has healing powers, can't ever decide NOT to rapidly heal from an injury, but this does not impair him in any reasonable way.

Gamma Mutants
Gamma mutants have very powerful mutants but they have flaws. Unlike the Beta mutants a Gamma mutant's flaw is a major flaw that makes their life very hard. The best example is probably Rogue. Rogue can absorb anybody's power, which makes her very powerful, but she can't touch people without triggering her power, which makes any kind of romantic life difficult. Also, while Alpha and Beta mutants can pass as regular looking humans, many Gamma mutants cannot because they have physical deformities like Blob or Marrow.
Classify mutants as Gamma Level if their mutation is powerful, uncontrollable, sometimes useful but usually detrimental to living a normal life, such as a monstrously inhuman appearance that can't be switched off at will.

Delta Mutants
Delta Mutants are like Alpha mutants in that they don't have any significant flaws. The only problem is that Delta mutants don't have powers that match an Alpha mutant, or even a Beta or Gamma mutant. At least 50% of mutants are Delta mutants making them the most common type of mutant. Some examples of Delta mutants are Forge, Domino and Callisto.
Classify mutants as Delta-Level if they have a normal human appearance, but their mutagenic powers are weaker or only narrowly applicable, though still controllable.

Epsilon-Delta Mutants
Epsilon-Delta Mutants are mutants that don't always manifest their power. An Epsilon-Delta's power will only manifest in certain circumstances and they don't use their powers very often. Their powers may manifest due to trauma, influence from somebody or somebody else or physical contact with someone.
Classify mutants as Episilon-Delta Level if they have a normal human appearance and their mutation is relatively weak, uncontrollable, and narrowly applicable.

Epsilon Mutants
Epsilon Mutants are unfortunate mutants. Epsilon mutants pretty much have no chance of having a regular life in society due to their major flaws. If that isn't bad enough Epsilon mutants also only have minor superhuman powers. About 20% of mutants are Epsilon Mutants. A good example of an Epsilon mutant is Beak.
Classify mutants as Episilon Level if they have an inhuman appearance or their mutation makes it impossible for them to function normally. Any accompanying "superpowers" would be next to useless. Epsilon mutants are differentiated from Gamma mutants in that a Gamma mutant's inhuman appearance would provide a compensating benefit like superior strength.

Omega mutants
Omega mutants are the most powerful class of mutants. Omega mutants can control matter and energy, have unlimited potential and are possibly even immortal. All Omega mutants are also Alpha mutants but not all Alpha mutants are Omega mutants. For example Jean Grey is an Alpha mutant because of her power and lack of flaws and is also an Omega mutant because of how powerful she is. Gambit on the other hand falls under Alpha mutant for the same reasons but isn't powerful enough to be an Omega mutant.
Only classify mutants as Omega Level if they have been explicitly referenced as Omega Level within continuity or if they regularly match the feats of a known Omega Level mutant.

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

RubySlippers

I have some ideas but mostly lower powered ones the one I'm favoring now is the the mutant Slipstream:

Powers
1. Flight (simply can fly, in her case using a latent form of kinetic energy manipulation - mutation)  [Level 3]
2. Gadgeteering (this would relate to the next power but mostly be training and experience, plus creativity) [Level 2]
3. Human Peak Potential (is not superpowerful in any ability but is overall near peak mental and physical performance for her gender and frame so is very exceptional and tends to have lots of skills being into exploiting her aptitudes - mutation) [Level 2]

I figure she can fly well, and uses training and devices to make her more effective in a fight most of her gadgets would use expected technology not unorthodox ones as in she could make body armor that can form around her far lighter than Iron Man could since he did make it and other but couldn't created a teleporter device unless she finds one to reverse engineer she can figure out.

Delta Mutant?

elfguy

I know nothing of that system but I'm interested in a super mutant RP.
----

RubySlippers

We can have all kinds of muitants there is no shame being average though.  ;D

leechtamer

The idea I had was someone who had the ability to supercharge himself for short bursts of super human abilities.

RubySlippers

I loved Sky High so no one wants to glow in the dark, melt to a puddle of goo or shapeshift into a guinea pig?  :D

Florence

Hmm, where would Kiden Nixon classify? I'd assume probably Beta. She can enter an alternate time-flow where time almost stands still. She can pretty much hold this power indefinitely. Meaning she could literally see a nuclear bomb coming, enter No-Time, then go home, pack her stuff, eat a sandwich, then calmly walk out of the blast radius. In addition to that, any force she applies in No-Time is GREATLY magnified when she goes back into the normal time flow. She has been shown to literally break a guy's arm accidentally by poking it.

However, it does have one rather major flaw, which is that she can only return to the normal time stream by making contact with another person. As stated above, that usually leads to someone's limbs getting broken or worse. Not so bad if you have any enemies around, but kinda bad otherwise. Not to mention she has been known to involuntarily shift into No-Time a few times due to extreme stress.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.