Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on October 05, 2013, 06:42:46 AM
Ah, well played then, sir, well played. =__=

Shjade: Or you just go to the internet like everyone else, whatever comes first.

Seriously, who knew you had to talk to one guy three times to unlock white magic. I never actually played as any magic user because that was a whole other set of fucking rules to figure out.

Dark Souls is the closest thing I've seen to what is commonly referred to in literary circles as mental masturbation. You're not supposed to "enjoy" Dark Souls, you're supposed to play it because you're someone who just "gets it".

Oh, God, Dark Souls is the Prufrock of the video game world. *shudders*

Don't get me wrong, this game was the cause of so many headaches that I had to stop playing it. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

And my point is you wouldn't be screwed since you don't need anything Petrus sells since they're all very weak miracles anyway.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on October 05, 2013, 12:05:09 PM
And my point is you wouldn't be screwed since you don't need anything Petrus sells since they're all very weak miracles anyway.
I didn't mean to say that one screwed you. I just wanted to point out how obtuse the game was being just to hide its most basic of gameplay elements in the name of being "hard".
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Inkidu on October 05, 2013, 12:34:00 PM
I didn't mean to say that one screwed you. I just wanted to point out how obtuse the game was being just to hide its most basic of gameplay elements in the name of being "hard".
In MY opinion, the whole game is a poster child for 'Fake Difficulty'.  Between the limited move set the player is given, the slow player side animations, the massive damage the mobs do, the fact that it forces you back to a limited check point when you AND resets the entire stage (Which is counter intuitive for me, because the game used player death as a teaching tool, they died because they failed, don't punish them even more), worse still is the tedium grind it faces you with once you learn the limited patterns.  Combine that with Inkidu's very valid statement, it turns a potentially very cool game to an exercise in frustration and masochism to me.

And before anyone asks, a game that is genuinely hard, but not fake, was the first Devil May Cry.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 05, 2013, 04:53:19 PM
In MY opinion, the whole game is a poster child for 'Fake Difficulty'.  Between the limited move set the player is given, the slow player side animations, the massive damage the mobs do, the fact that it forces you back to a limited check point when you AND resets the entire stage (Which is counter intuitive for me, because the game used player death as a teaching tool, they died because they failed, don't punish them even more), worse still is the tedium grind it faces you with once you learn the limited patterns.  Combine that with Inkidu's very valid statement, it turns a potentially very cool game to an exercise in frustration and masochism to me.

And before anyone asks, a game that is genuinely hard, but not fake, was the first Devil May Cry.
I think the most genuinely challenging games are the ones that give you just about everything up front. There might be some esoteric stat-combo, or metagame, but basically tells you, "Here's everything we expect you to use... now try to win, sucker!" That's a challenging game.

Dragon's Dogma is good about that. There's a few weird ways the A.I. works, but it pretty much will tell you everything up front were stats and abilities are concerned. Then it will gleefully pound your arisen into paste with a cyclopes. :)

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ToriJ

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 04, 2013, 08:26:29 PM
Memorize the maps, attack patters and placements of enemies.  Game isn't that difficult, just buggy.  More often you'll die due to something in the game being dumb.

You ain't kidding about the bugs. Got to watch a guy walk into a wall before I stabbed him.

Inkidu

Quote from: ToriJ on October 05, 2013, 05:32:08 PM
You ain't kidding about the bugs. Got to watch a guy walk into a wall before I stabbed him.
You can apparently trick several of the bosses into jumping to their deaths.

Even the winged dragon that blocks the undead burg. Why he didn't use his wings who knows.

ToriJ

Quote from: Inkidu on October 05, 2013, 05:50:40 PM
You can apparently trick several of the bosses into jumping to their deaths.

Even the winged dragon that blocks the undead burg. Why he didn't use his wings who knows.

Seriously? lol! Wow...

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 05, 2013, 04:53:19 PM

...hard for whom, exactly? DMC 1 didn't get hard for me until the third playthrough (Dante Must Die mode), and that was only hard because just about everything could kill you in two to three hits while attacking more or less the same way as the previous two playthroughs (until the steroid mode kicked in, at which point many things could kill you in just one hit if you weren't already maxed out - which you should have been before starting DMD via lots and lots and lots of orb farming in the previous runs). It's a poster child for fake difficulty.

Normal difficulty DMC is a cakewalk until the very last boss sequence which can be a pain to figure out, which then means Hard difficulty is easier, in a sense, given just about everything is the same and you'll already know how to fight everything so you can do it with the smaller margin for error allowed now that they hit harder. It's not much different from the NG+ runs of Dark Souls at that point (and yes, I am disappointed that NG+ Dark Souls runs are just 'the same thing, but they all hit harder now').
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Hard is not what I look for in my games. I look for depth and challenge. It's not about how much the game can kill you, it's about how it pushes you to think. I find Dark Souls to be dumb rote memorization. Memorize and regurgitate as it were.

meikle

i like watching people complain about "fake difficulty" in games that are too difficult for them to progress through.  the idea that games that demand you be good at something that you're not are "fake difficult" is pretty lol.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Tsenta

I like watching people who think enemies that use juggle tactics and have 1shot strength as difficult, back in my day more than just the enemies were difficult. :)
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: meikle on October 06, 2013, 10:51:11 AM
i like watching people complain about "fake difficulty" in games that are too difficult for them to progress through.  the idea that games that demand you be good at something that you're not are "fake difficult" is pretty lol.

I really hope you don't mean Dark Souls or Demon's soul.

meikle

Quote from: Tsenta on October 06, 2013, 04:43:31 PM
I like watching people who think enemies that use juggle tactics and have 1shot strength as difficult, back in my day more than just the enemies were difficult. :)

Back in your day?  Can you give some examples?

Because I'm thinking back to games like, say, Asteroid, where getting hit meant dying.  Or Ghouls and Ghosts, where getting hit meant dying.  Or, like, any of hundreds of games going back to the very beginning of the hobby where getting hit meant dying.

The fact that there are a bunch of you going on about how Dark Souls is a bad game because it's too hard (but it's the kind of hard you don't like, so it's bad game, not just one you suck at) is really lacking in self-reflection, isn't it?
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Tsenta

"Bunch of you."  Oh lord...just like there's a 'bunch of you' going on saying Dark/Demons Souls is best, praising it for it's difficulty due to silly enemy combat and a very skewed combat.  A game should be considered difficult from ALL of its facilities, not just the enemies.  Platforming, puzzles, the whole shebang. Not JUST combat because the devs decided to troll people with broken/cheap enemy tactics. 

TLDR: Path/attack memorization and being 1shot due to silly broken antics does not a difficult game make.  -Snrk-

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: meikle on October 06, 2013, 08:10:39 PM
Back in your day?  Can you give some examples?

Because I'm thinking back to games like, say, Asteroid, where getting hit meant dying.  Or Ghouls and Ghosts, where getting hit meant dying.  Or, like, any of hundreds of games going back to the very beginning of the hobby where getting hit meant dying.

The fact that there are a bunch of you going on about how Dark Souls is a bad game because it's too hard (but it's the kind of hard you don't like, so it's bad game, not just one you suck at) is really lacking in self-reflection, isn't it?

You're assuming we are bad at this game.  I've beaten it, the game became simple once routes and enemy patterns had been memorized.  Saying that we suck at the game because we think its design is poor, sounds pretty "fanboyish."

EDIT:  Also, I don't think most of us are saying it is a bad game because it is hard... We are saying its a bad game because of its design.

Tsenta

^ This, a million times this.  I've both played and beat Dark and Demon's Souls. So that "u hate it cuz u bad at it" nonsense is just silly.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 06, 2013, 08:48:57 PM
You're assuming we are bad at this game.  I've beaten it, the game became simple once routes and enemy patterns had been memorized.  Saying that we suck at the game because we think its design is poor, sounds pretty "fanboyish."

EDIT:  Also, I don't think most of us are saying it is a bad game because it is hard... We are saying its a bad game because of its design.
Pretty much this.

Plus, Dark Souls lags on console. You can't say it doesn't have obvious design flaws in it, and that's not even getting into the fake difficulty.

ToriJ

What were some of the bugs that killed you guys anyway? Only one I can think of is when the camera had a seizure. The rest was most likely my fault.

Revelation

I've never really been killed by any bugs in Dark/demons souls beyond "Camera being silly' which is a problem in many games sadly.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ToriJ on October 06, 2013, 09:08:39 PM
What were some of the bugs that killed you guys anyway? Only one I can think of is when the camera had a seizure. The rest was most likely my fault.

Camera was a huge one, blocking sometimes not working.  As Inkidu mentioned, the effing lag.

Inkidu

Quote from: Changingsaint on October 06, 2013, 09:10:35 PM
I've never really been killed by any bugs in Dark/demons souls beyond "Camera being silly' which is a problem in many games sadly.
There is was one where I fell through the ground and died, and no I couldn't retrieve my body because I died from fall damage, and I assume my body was in the pit. It's rare, but on a game with such difficulty it's really unacceptable.

ToriJ

Is the back stab not always working at times a bug or just my inability to press RB at the right time?

Quote from: Inkidu on October 06, 2013, 09:14:19 PM
There is was one where I fell through the ground and died, and no I couldn't retrieve my body because I died from fall damage, and I assume my body was in the pit. It's rare, but on a game with such difficulty it's really unacceptable.

Man, that would suck.

Inkidu

Quote from: ToriJ on October 06, 2013, 09:16:46 PM
Is the back stab not always working at times a bug or just my inability to press RB at the right time?

Man, that would suck.
It pretty much put the final nail in the game's coffin for me. I had just gotten to Blighttown (which is really the only consistently laggy place, and the one place you never want lag. Let's say there are a lot of poison dart blowgun snipers and you'll suddenly die from poison because of the lag). I put it in its case and pitched it across the room. I didn't play it afterward ever. Then my brother got fed up. He's the one who bought it, but hell I couldn't enjoy it when it was free.

ToriJ

I don't remember any lag, or is that just if you play online?