Legend of the Five Rings (FFG Edition) - Beginner's Game (Closed)

Started by Idej, February 07, 2019, 12:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idej

"It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in Rokugan. Mortal schemes, natural calamities, and celestial turmoil alike have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of the land. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test. Who among the clans will prove strong enough to guide Rokugan in these tumultuous times? Will their names be lifted up beside those of the honored ancestors, or will they fall among the ranks of the empire’s most infamous villains?"

Game Information
Which System to Use:  Legend of the Five Rings:  Fantasy Flight Games 1st Edition

Theme and Tone of the Campaign:  Legend of the Five Rings is a roleplay heavy setting.  There will be courtly intrigues, mysteries to be solved, and glorious battles to be fought.

"In Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying, players take on the roles of samurai from the seven Great Clans serving their lords across Rokugan, a rich and complex setting based on a fantastical and romanticized version of feudal Japan (while also taking inspiration from other East Asian myths, literature, and history). Characters are warriors, courtiers, priests, and monks defending their lord’s interests while upholding the Code of Bushidō, a code that demands samurai ignore their own desires in favor of justice, loyalty, and honor.

What lines will your character cross at their lord’s order? What desires will your character sacrifice to uphold their ideals? Adventures in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying take their cues from eastern storytelling, which valorizes individuals sacrificing themselves to maintain societal harmony, as opposed to western narratives that reward heroes for defying society. However, ideals and human emotions cannot easily be put aside even by the greatest of samurai, and this inner conflict drives the drama of Legend of the Five Rings."

Theme and Tone of the Campaign:  Due to the nature of heavier roleplay, I am not necessarily going to focus heavily on combat or fighting.  There will be fighting as we all have to understand the combat mechanics of the game.  I'd prefer the smut to be a bit more minimal or offscreen in sidethreads if you desire that.  This is a beginner's game to playing the game

Our first campaign will be Wedding at Kyotei Castle - When inauspicious signs threaten to derail a crucial wedding between the Crane and Phoenix Clans, it falls to a group of young samurai to choose whether to see the match through or call it off—resulting in great loss of face for the Crane and Phoenix Clans. Certainly, not all of the guests are here to congratulate the honored couple.

Material Allowed:  As of the moment, the Core Rulebook and Emerald Empire are the two books/material allowed at the moment.

Other Restrictions:  Due to this being a Beginner's Game, I would like it if everyone chose to be from the same Clan.  This is because it helps the players learning the system have the feeling that the other player's are in the same frame of mind and goals overarching.  Thus fostering better cooperation IC and OOC.  For this starting adventure there are five Great Clans that are the most optimal for this to start with.  These Clans are the Crane, Lion, Phoenix, Scorpion, and Unicorn.  I can't tell you the direct impact that each Clan has for this, but these are the most optimal in my honest opinion.  So before posting a character I'd like to hear thoughts on what Clan you are interested in.  If need be I can make a poll for this too.

The Dice Quandary:  Many of you may not be happy about FFG using specialty dice for Legend of the Five Rings and how it can be cumbersome to convert the dice all the time or what not.  I get it, I do too, however I did take the liberty of clipping a part of the book to provide the quick guide for converting results in the game.
I am willing to convert the results each of you produce on the dicebot here and tell you what you got or assist in it as this is about learning the game and having a fun time with everyone involved.

Character Creation Primer - Game of Twenty Questions (Please List Any Mechanical Effects To Your Answers For Your Character)

• What Clan Does Your Character Belong To?:
  • What Family Does Your Character Belong To?:
  • What Is Your Character's School, And What Roles Does That School Fall Into?:
  • How Does Your Character Stand Out Within Their School?:
  • Who Is Your Lord And What Is Your Character's Duty To Them?:
  • What Does Your Character Long For, And How Might This Impede Their Duty?:
  • What Is Your Character's Relationship With Their Clan:
  • What Does Your Character Think of Bushido?:
  • What Is Your Character's Greatest Accomplishment So Far?:
  • What Holds Your Character Back The Most In Life?:
  • What Activity Most Makes Your Character Feel At Peace?:
  • What Concern, Fear, Or Foible Troubles Your Character The Most?:
  • Who Has Your Character Learned The Most From During Their Life?:
  • What Do People Notice First Upon Encountering Your Character?:
  • How Does Your Character React To Stressful Situations?:
  • What Are Your Character's Preexisting Relationships With Other Clans, Families, And Traditions?:
  • How Would Your Character's Parents Describe Them?
  • Who Was Your Character Named To Honor? (Please post dice results for this question):
  • What Is Your Character's Personal Name?:
  • How Should Your Character Die?:

Coding For Twenty Questions Here
[list type=decimal]
[li][b]What Clan Does Your Character Belong To?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Family Does Your Character Belong To?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Is Your Character's School, And What Roles Does That School Fall Into?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]How Does Your Character Stand Out Within Their School?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]Who Is Your Lord And What Is Your Character's Duty To Them?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Does Your Character Long For, And How Might This Impede Their Duty?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Is Your Character's Relationship With Their Clan[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Does Your Character Think of Bushido?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Is Your Character's Greatest Accomplishment So Far?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Holds Your Character Back The Most In Life?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Activity Most Makes Your Character Feel At Peace?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Concern, Fear, Or Foible Troubles Your Character The Most?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]Who Has Your Character Learned The Most From During Their Life?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Do People Notice First Upon Encountering Your Character?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]How Does Your Character React To Stressful Situations?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Are Your Character's Preexisting Relationships With Other Clans, Families, And Traditions?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]How Would Your Character's Parents Describe Them?[/b][/li]
[li][b]Who Was Your Character Named To Honor? (Please post dice results for this question)[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]What Is Your Character's Personal Name?[/b]:[/li]
[li][b]How Should Your Character Die?[/b]:[/li]
[/list]

Muse

*waves*  I'd like to give this a try, please! 

We'll have to determine what clan we're playing as a group before we can start filling out the 20 questions .
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Idej

Yes that is correct, but I also figured having everything I can put on the table, actually on the table would be helpful :D

Arcanist

Count me very interested!
Will there be a heavy involvement of characters in court? Might impact on clan maybe? But open to any. Used to the original.
Choice is but an Illusion. Consequences are however real.

Idej

In this starting adventure there will be some courtly intrigue, but at the moment I aim for that, but also want to ensure all potential players enjoy it.

As for Clan impact, that is the reason I recommended some Clans for choice.  For a refresher these clans are the Crane, Lion, Phoenix, Scorpion, and Unicorn.  The actions of playera from one of these Clans will have an inpact.

Arcanist

Idej

Those are three I enjoy as well.

Scorpion and Unicornare my top two though.

Arcanist

I suggest Crane or Phoenix. They seem to be the most involved. Scorpion tends to get complicated or at the very least misunderstood.

Idej

Of the Five suggested, Crane, Phoenix, and Lion are the most involved.

Would love for everyone to choose Scorpion, but I am not going to dictate that or condemn the other choices.  :)

Arcanist

Well, if you insist :) I would not mind. Just be complicated with beginning characters:)

Idej

Which you have a good point.  They aren't necessarily a beginner friendly clan.

Lorewise for the first adventure they have a role in it though.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AndyZ

Hairy, is this the same system you were beta testing for a year or two ago?  Any place to buy just the PDF?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Arcanist

Marie Reynolds

Hello I am interested would likely go either Dragon or Unicorn.

Andy you can get it off of drive thru rpg it is 24.95 currently.

Idej

So if everyone has a copy this does make it four people interested.

However if others are interested feel free to speak up and give input.  While I don't want to exclude everyone interested I can only take four at this moment so that I can focus on those who are playing and learning the game.

So please keep me posted on your interest in playing so that I know there are four players interested.

Captain Whitebread

Once again I'm late to the table.

If there is still an opening, my preference would be Unicorn followed by Scorpion.  Which clan would determine whether I was looking at Samurai or Shukenja.
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

Idej

Not exactly late.  But last call is in effect now.

I need to know tomorrow who is interested so I can put everyone in the OOC and assist character development.

Arcanist

Oh definitely still interested. Have we decided on a clan yet?
Shall we put it to a vote?
I prefer Crane and Phoenix. Scorpion does complicate things I believe for beginning players but...
So to make things easier for Idej - what are everyone’s vote? Or we could just leave it to Idej.

Idej

I'd like votes in place by you folks along with interest to play.

If there is a tie I will make a tie breaker vote.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Captain Whitebread

Do you want a vote for one two or three clans?

Unicorn

Unicorn Scorpion

Unicorn Scorpion Fox Crane
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

Idej

One to two please.

Preferably from the Unicorn, Scorpion, Phoenix, Lion, or Crane Clans as they have the most involvement in the first adventure.

Arcanist

Current votes

Crane 1
Unicorn 1
Scorpion 2

Based on votes from me and Captain Whitebread

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)